2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
EZhou Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello,

I got my piano technician to inspect another Schimmel Konzert, this time its the K213T made in 2008. The previous Schimmel K169T had humidity issues and was generally poorly maintained.
The technician said the K213T was in good condition, nothing wrong with it, but he just doesn't think the quality of the build justifies the price range its in ($35,000 CAD/ $28,000 USD). He thinks there are much better pianos that can be purchased in this price range, with better tone and build quality.

Interestingly, he said the same thing about the K169T notwithstanding the maintenance issues. This is the first time I've encountered anyone who seems so set against Schimmel Konzert series.

Has anyone come across this before with Schimmel Konzert series in particular?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
So it's the same technician ! Of course he would be biased ..From what I have noticed quite few Canadian piano tuners and technicians are rather ignorant about European pianos.
They seem to be sentimentaly attached to the older Canadian built pianos. Otherwise they prefer American or Yamaha pianos as an option.
The technician I have has a far greater understanding of different brands. He tends to judge pianos not just brands.
I find it rather odd you keep writing in about Schimmel Konzert grands? Perhaps you have other reasons? Would you love a brand new German grand perhaps? Pick on some other brand perhaps ? That would seem like normal behavior. It has been suggested you find a different technician. Do you not find that a good idea ? It amazes me where you find all.these Schimmel Konzert grands. Schimmel does not make all that many of the Konzert series grands or uprights.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I assume you must really love these Schimmel pianos as you are paying your technician to inspect several, despite his obvious dislike for them. What is it about the Schimmels that has made them your favourite?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If the tech doesn't like the Schimmel, he should be more specific about his criticisms. Saying he doesn't like the tone or build quality is too vague.

The closest presently made model, the K219, has an SMP of 83K. So after, say 25% off SMP and depreciation the asking price of 28K USD doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

E
EZhou Offline OP
OP Offline
E
We've literally scoured the city and its outreaches and tried as many pianos in retail stores and private sales as we can (Bechstein, Shigeru Kawai, Steinway, Yamaha, Seiler, Hoffman etc). We actually don't have any attachment to the Schimmel brand, its just that we really loved the sound of every Schimmel K series we've played. It was the only piano that got a "wow" reaction. The bass has a really powerful warm quality.

And its really just a coincidence that in the private used market, there was one K169 and last week a K213 popped up. Funny thing is, of the privately posted pianos, these are the only two in Canada that I can find.

I have made the owner of the K213 an offer and hopefully it works out, fingers crossed. Perhaps I will need to get a different technician to do the regulation and voicing....

A
A
Fingers crossed for you too~ Always happy to see others find their beloved pianos.

If you know how to control and create sounds with your touch, a K series Schimmel will no doubt give you more than "wow" experiences whenever you play.

Last edited by aesop; 03/16/21 09:11 AM.
A
A
As for the characteristic sound you mentioned, I think it is a kind of gift possessed by only a few makes. Sound, is something vivid, but also abstract. Is it only related to techniques in manufacture? There has been a lot of writers, philosophers, artists, mathematicians, scientists...in Braunschweig chatting, inspiring each other day and night. It is culture, and history. It is easier to make pianos with just sweet, or pleasant sound, but much more difficult for some one who doesn't benefit from a rich history to make pianos with sound filled with culture.

Last edited by aesop; 03/16/21 09:38 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’ve tried 2 Schimmel Konzerts, I don’t know exactly what size but both were 7 feet plus. I loved them both but at the time both were priced above what I was willing to shell out for my piano. I think Schimmels are wonderful, especially the Konzert series. If it was me, but of course it’s not, I’d find another technician that at least likes Schimmels and continue looking at used Schimmels to find “the one”.

I guess if I myself worked on pianos I would certainly have favorites and least favorites. It would reflect my choice as far as what I liked to work on, not necessarily what a pianist wants to use.

Best Wishes on your search.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it....it can be incredibly tiresome if your piano tech doesn’t really like the piano you’re paying them to tune or do other maintenance tasks.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That seems like a fair price to me, Schimmel's are good pianos.

I would find another tech and ask him/her to take a look at this piano without mentioning any of what has happened.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
I almost bought a new Schimmel 213 in 2006. I thought it was a really good value at its price point. Ultimately I went for a slightly smaller piano (192) for a slightly lower price.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission