2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (accordeur, 36251, brdwyguy, Amadeus M., Adagiette, Brinestone, Boboulus, 13 invisible), 1,247 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 194 of 233 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 232 233
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I just did a quick search and it doesn't look the the Pixel has an audio interface, so you won't be able to do what Pete14 is suggesting, alas. On iOS products, they have an audio interface integrated, so you can just plug the phone right in to the USB on the N1X and it will record audio from it directly, thus it's all sync'd. It's very handy, I do it often.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by woppa
Hi All - got my N1X for a bit over half a year now and spent everyday learning and hammering away. Decided to start a YT channel to document my progress, here is Chopin Op48 No1. Still a WIP, but getting there!

Your technique, state of relaxation, fluidity, and phrasing seem to be highly impressive for 7 months of self-taught piano.

On your channel, at 4 weeks of self-taught progress, you were already playing Fantaisie Impromptu. Doesn't this piece feature polyrhythm? 👏

This is highly impressive. Would you mind sharing how you have achieved this?

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by navindra
On your channel, at 4 weeks of self-taught progress, you were already playing Fantaisie Impromptu. Doesn't this piece feature polyrhythm? 👏

I think the answer here is just not to compare yourself to other people shocked

Especially on YouTube, that way madness lies.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I think the answer here is just not to compare yourself to other people shocked

Especially on YouTube, that way madness lies.

As a fairly new piano player myself (almost 5 years), I would also like to know the answer. Did he teach himself how to read music from scratch and after 4 weeks play Fantaisie Impromptu? It's extraordinary if he did and I would be inclined to commend him for his natural talent and hard work. He should do a TED Talk on how he achieved that. He might be able to inspire other people in their learning process.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
He's not learnt to read complex classical music, work out all the fingerings required throughout, memorise it, and have the technique to pull it off in 4 weeks no, this is simply fantasy, and if they claim this is the case they're not telling the truth. They would be the first person born into this world in the history of mankind to achieve such results because its never happened. You can't play a diploma level piece in 4 weeks from no training whatsoever.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Maybe he had experiences on other keyboard instruments but not the piano. Anyway it sounds a bit misleading.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Only a bit misleading, eh? smile

B
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
B
I don’t think Woppa says anywhere that he started learning piano at the same time that he got the N1X 😁 Woppa probably have been playing for some time but on a different piano. Or did i miss any information?

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You guys, I once saw a five-year-old sight-read the Goldbergs, so never say never.

Correction: He didn’t ‘sight-read’ the variations but rather played them blindfolded.

I know what you’re thinking, Mac, “he was peeking from the sides”.....

Well, I’ll have you know that the room was packed with eyewitnesses who ascertained that the fold was sealed-shut and there was no way he could’ve been cheating/peeking! grin

S
S
Here's something I'm currently working on. Still many mistakes but it's the first étude I am trying to go all the way through. Sorry for the action noise (I didn't record the MIDI).

P.S.: this is a piece I am curious to try again after getting the action regulated.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There are many things above the N1X. Did you manage to avoid obstructing the openings of the speakers ?

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
S
I think just the two side speakers. The middle one must have been covered sorry.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by srslysupersonic
Here's something I'm currently working on. Still many mistakes but it's the first étude I am trying to go all the way through. Sorry for the action noise (I didn't record the MIDI).

P.S.: this is a piece I am curious to try again after getting the action regulated.

That’s very good! When you said “still many mistakes” my expectations were very low whereas that’s already good enough 👍🏻

And a nice and cozy interior!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
S
Thanks @CyberGene!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Don’t be sorry : you can’t send a spatial sampling fully through YouTube. I don’t think we would hear something different with or without the centre speaker.

I should try if it changes something will playing with speakers (but usually, I practice with headphones).

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
S
I almost always play and practice with headphones too. But sometimes it's nice just not to feel the pressure of the pads around the ears 🤣. This was also recorded on a smartphone so the audio capture was not the best. I think there is a slight difference when I don't have all that stuff blocking the middle speaker, but I don't think it's that huge. Anyways I don't have audiophile ears 😆

D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Here's something I'm currently working on...

Very nice. I enjoyed listening to that. Thank you for sharing.

It’s interesting that you mention this because I’ve been wondering about how regulation would impact playability.

I have noticed that it’s a bit easier to perform single key repetitions (not in a musical context) on two acoustic grands. It’s not a significant difference, but it’s slightly easier. I think it either has to do with the longer key pivot length and or regulation.

As a beginner to early intermediate player I don’t feel limited by my N1X. I wonder if a regulated N1X would feel any different to me given my experience level.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
W
W
OK I tested with the USB recording function these past few days and learned how to use a proper video editor. Audio quality much better, thanks!

By the way, replying some comments above, the time progress I'm using is the time I spent learning it from scratch for the piece.

I can read sheet music and had piano lessons as a kid for a few yrs some 30+ yrs ago, so I couldn't play a single piece, not even a phrase, but I could read the sheet music and know where the notes are, outside of that I started from beginning with videos like proper posture. I got the N1X Aug last yr and devoted my entire time to it, practicing 3-5hrs a day and another 3 or hrs on YT tutorials (Graham Fitch) and professional pianists (mostly Chopin competition).

Anyway, here's the recording

W
W

I learned it from Graham Fitch and also Nahre Sol, those two videos above were what I used.

So the rhythm I dumbed it down to 4v3 and then slow play practiced about 10min a day, and also in my spare time tapping the polyrhythm on random surfaces, it locked into muscle memory pretty quick.

Last edited by woppa; 03/17/21 07:00 PM.
W
W

Whoa good job! Your hands looking very nice!

Page 194 of 233 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 232 233

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing piano outside?
by Sam S - 09/27/21 06:21 PM
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,324
Posts3,135,622
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission