2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
It's a little hard to find recordings of the Yamaha S7X since they haven't been around that long. But I just noticed this guy bought an S7X about a week ago, and since then he's posted about a dozen videos of different pieces. Definitely worth a listen if you're in the market for a new piano and considering the SX line. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about the piano, including comparisons to Steinway, Fazioli etc.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClarkBryan/videos

As an example, everyone's favorite Brahms intermezzo:

Last edited by Sonepica; 03/21/21 04:53 AM.
T
T
Sounds amazing!!! Does it use tapered soundboard

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Very nice sound! As with other Yamahas, it lacks some of the personality (eccentricity?) of some American and European pianos. But it is very pleasing, and seems to offer the pianist a huge range of choices.

No idea if it is just because it is engineered to sound great in a recording studio and on my laptop, but I've liked what I have heard of that whole series.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 03/21/21 01:12 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Is it an S7 or S7X? He says S7 in two videos, but not sure if he's just dropping the X.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Is it an S7 or S7X? He says S7 in two videos, but not sure if he's just dropping the X.

It's definitely an S7X as he bought it recently. The S series will have been discontinued and I don't think there ever was an S7, only S4 and S6.

R
R
Looking through some of his old videos, it seems like used to have a Steinway B in the back, and a C7 in the front. With the new acquisition, he got rid of the B, and put the C7 in the back and S7X in the front.

Maybe the B wasn't that great? I couldn't quickly find a recording of the B in his channel.

Wild.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
His C7 seems to have a lot of the character of the S7X. Maybe it is just the EQ on the recording, or a sympathetic tech? Anyway, it has a nicer patina than many other Yamahas of that vintage. And also sounds very good. It will be fascinating to see if he does comparisons after the new one has settled in.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 03/21/21 09:11 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Sonepica
It's a little hard to find recordings of the Yamaha S7X since they haven't been around that long. But I just noticed this guy bought an S7X about a week ago, and since then he's posted about a dozen videos of different pieces. Definitely worth a listen if you're in the market for a new piano and considering the SX line. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about the piano, including comparisons to Steinway, Fazioli etc.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ClarkBryan/videos

As an example, everyone's favorite Brahms intermezzo:

In cae you are wondering (as I did) who Mr. Bryan is - and why he is capable of producing high quality music videos on a daily basis - here's his vita. smile

https://clarkbryan.ca/about/

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
K
kre Offline
K
He says in the video that piano goes out of tune rapidly. Is this normal to hand-wound strings or something? Can't remember my C3 going out of tune noticeably even when new.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I think it's normal for the reasons he explained.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by kre
He says in the video that piano goes out of tune rapidly. Is this normal to hand-wound strings or something? Can't remember my C3 going out of tune noticeably even when new.

Any new piano will go out of tune quickly for the first year. Perhaps your C3 had been in a showroom and had several tunings put on it before it was delivered? We try to give EVERY piano several tunings, even for ordered pianos during our prep. But not everyone does, and even this may not prevent some additional stretching the first year, as it does happen gradually. It helps though.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
I was a little bit surprised to see that video come up. Mr. Bryan was my piano teacher for several years when I was a high school student.

He is a superb teacher, who prepared me well for further piano study at Yale.

K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by kre

Any new piano will go out of tune quickly for the first year. Perhaps your C3 had been in a showroom and had several tunings put on it before it was delivered? We try to give EVERY piano several tunings, even for ordered pianos during our prep. But not everyone does, and even this may not prevent some additional stretching the first year, as it does happen gradually. It helps though.

I picked it from showroom so it was tuned once between factory and delivery, but I do not recollect it needing tuning several times during first year (maybe twice) and now I have it tuned once a year (it holds tuning extremely well). I don't have absolute pitch but I can hear in the Brahms video that piano is out of tune. Having owned previously a piano that didn't hold tuning well, it's an absolute dealbreaker for me. Does anyone here actually own SX series grand to give feedback?

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Yamaha pianos are renowned for their build quality and reliability, and the SX series are their premium line. We can safely assume they hold tune excellently. I think a few people here are jumping to conclusions.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seriously. Just off the truck, and we're worried because it might need re-tuning?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

It's definitely an S7X as he bought it recently. The S series will have been discontinued and I don't think there ever was an S7, only S4 and S6.

Thanks, that makes sense now. I did have the opportunity to try S5X awhile back. It's a really nice instrument!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He talks too much, and then the piano is... out of tune! sleep smirk

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission