2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3102380 04/05/21 04:34 PM
W
Will M Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hey guys,

I’m learning how to regulate my own (upright) piano at the moment, and I have a conundrum with the damper pedal.

I know how to adjust the overall damper pedal timing, and I know how to adjust the spoons to change the damper lift timing when I press a key.

However, when I press the damper pedal, the dampers lift quite unevenly - several early - several late.

I can’t find any information on how to adjust this. I’m sure it’s obvious, but I’d love some pointers!

Last edited by Will M; 04/05/21 04:42 PM.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Is it an upright or a grand piano?

W
Will M Offline OP
OP Offline
W
It’s a small upright - Weinbach

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You bend the wires, after first making sure that all the damper lifter bar hinges are tight. I wedge the lifter bar up (at the end where the damper pedal rod lifts it) so I can see how far the dampers are from the strings, and make them even. You have to do this before you adjust anything else in the damper system. The lost motion needs to be taken out before you adjust the spoons.

Look for regulation instructions on line. I think Kawai has a good set. Follow them in order.

Semipro Tech
W
Will M Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by BDB
You bend the wires, after first making sure that all the damper lifter bar hinges are tight. I wedge the lifter bar up (at the end where the damper pedal rod lifts it) so I can see how far the dampers are from the strings, and make them even. You have to do this before you adjust anything else in the damper system. The lost motion needs to be taken out before you adjust the spoons.

Look for regulation instructions on line. I think Kawai has a good set. Follow them in order.

This doesn’t seem right. The wooden blocks the damper wires are attached to are moving unevenly - so bending the wires won’t solve the timing issue.

B
BDB Offline
B
The levers move evenly when you depress the pedal. You bend the wires to make the damper heads lift evenly when you press the pedal. Then you go back and adjust the spoons.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

It's ALL about bending wires.

Look for regulation instructions on line. BDB thinks Kawai has a good set. Follow them in order
+1

Last edited by accordeur; 04/05/21 11:25 PM. Reason: Clarity I hope

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
B
Regulating dampers in an upright can be quite challenging and if the piano is old the damper felt may not re-seat after adjustments. If everything is basically working now I would not mess with them.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
W
Will M Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I figured this out!

I don’t know if this is standard, but my piano has a little grub screw behind the felt on the base of the damper, where it sits against the damper pedal rail.

This lets me adjust each damper’s “rest” position, without really changing how the spoons interact with the damper when a key is pressed.

I tweaked all these grub screws so the damper line lifted together. Some of them had some lost motion so the dampers were lifting late, others were set so the dampers lifted early and never fully rested against the strings.

The damper wires needed some bending as well, but they mostly came into line when the screws were adjusted.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission