2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
This thread is inspired by the "taming a C7" discussion. I cannot for the life of me see any reason for a grand larger than about 6 ft (say 180 to 190 cm) in a home, unless it is a chateau with attached concert hall. My music room is quite large and houses two pianos, two harpsichords and a hybrid pipe organ, but I allways think that the forte sound of the "A" with the lid open is way over the top. And the room is book-lined, draped and carpeted.

The only reason would be for a professional musician wishing really beefy bass for his practice, in preparation for the full size concert grand in the hall. This prompts me to review in my mind the sound of all the 6 footers I have tried. The one that most impressed me for bass was a Fazioli 183. Next was a Hoffmann P 188. I do not know how much was due to prep, and what techs can do to bolster bass. The S&S A is also quite good, but not as beefy as the Fazioli.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I can’t answer for everyone or for every room. My house is not a mansion, but my 7 foot piano is perfect for the room size and I love the base. And I always play on full stick. YMMV

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 5'8" PETROF I have coming was plenty full of sound even in a store, so I can't wait to hear how it will sound in my small 1939 house! I am with the OP on pianos over 6 feet in homes, but it's one of those "to each their own" things. There is a piano teacher around here who has a D in his livingroom that touches several of the walls with not much room left for the player. (Several of my past students had trial lessons with him, but I guess his personality was so difficult that they chose me and my at-the-time tiny Kawai console.) Anyway, I think 7' in a large living room might be okay (my son's clarinet teacher has a 7' in his living room and it almost looks small), but a concert grand in a house makes me roll my eyes. But, again, to each their own. I am sure a lot of people will think a 5'8" in my dining room is way overkill, but I wouldn't dare go smaller.

I will have a chance this summer to try a 1980s B in a small home. I can't wait to see how that sounds.

I walked through the "ultra rich neighborhood" last night so that I can see into their livingrooms in search of grand pianos through the windows. Almost every house has a grand piano in their livingroom. Knowing a lot of people who live there, those pianos are just for show and seen as class-based furniture; they are not played, and they are often Young Chang grands from yesteryear, not even S&S. My point is that they are all pretty small. I think the largest one I saw was maybe 168cm. Most were in the 5'2" range.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
Online Content
I have a 7' M&H in a 12'x18' living room and the volume is not a problem. Many pianists have larger than 6' pianos in relatively small spaces without the piano being too loud. Many PW posters don't think longer grands are even any louder than shorter ones although I don't have an opinion on that. IOW I think the premise of the thread is not true.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I haven’t tried a lot of pianos at 6 foot but the Shigeru Kawai SK3, Yamaha C3X and Estonia L190 are all too small for me.

If I was forced to pick a smaller instrument, I would go for a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Steinway A3. Baldwin L might be a good one as well. Those were wonderful pianos!

Last edited by Harpuia; 04/08/21 02:40 PM.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I also don’t think longer pianos means larger volume. The room acoustics really play a big role in it. The issue with large grand pianos in a small space is that you have fewer ways to place your piano.

With a smaller piano, you are more flexible and have more space for furnishing your room.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
The longest piano I’ve had is the best one. There is something to be said for the quality of tone that counts as much as decibels.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have a customer with a Steinway D and a Steinway B in a small converted bedroom. Had to move them around a few times, but it works, and there is a definite reason to play a D if you can

B
BDB Offline
B
Back to your original topic, I believe that bass strings on pianos above 6 feet have more flexibility, and so they are more prone to excitation in higher modes. This can be voiced out of the longer pianos, but it is not always done. So the maintenance makes a lot of difference. But longer pianos can sound better than shorter ones. In the shorter piano, the bass may always be more in a higher mode so you get used to it, but the sound is less clear.

Semipro Tech

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
I walked through the "ultra rich neighborhood" last night so that I can see into their livingrooms in search of grand pianos through the windows. Almost every house has a grand piano in their livingroom. Knowing a lot of people who live there, those pianos are just for show and seen as class-based furniture; they are not played, and they are often Young Chang grands from yesteryear, not even S&S. My point is that they are all pretty small. I think the largest one I saw was maybe 168cm. Most were in the 5'2" range.

I don't know if it's just me, but this seems "off" on multiple levels.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dogperson
I can’t answer for everyone or for every room. My house is not a mansion, but my 7 foot piano is perfect for the room size and I love the base. And I always play on full stick. YMMV

OK, I stand corrected, and I certainly believe it's fun to own a 7 footer if you have space for it. Maybe in Europe we are used to smaller things, like with our homes and cars, although again someone from Europe will prove me wrong... blush

But my question remains : any ideas about good bass in a six-footer ?

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
How about trying a Yamaha CF4 alongside a Steingraeber B192 and a Grotrian G192? The CF4 will give you a good bass but you might prefer the character of the German pianos.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Online Content
Originally Posted by Vikendios
But my question remains : any ideas about good bass in a six-footer ?
I think any of the pianos in Iconic, Renowned, and Distinguished sections Performance Grade Pianos in Fine's ranking will have an excellent bass in their around six foot model. The M&H model A has a huge bass but some might say it's too big for the rest of the piano balance wise.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/08/21 06:06 PM.
F
F
I have a 6’8” Bechstein Model B in my 11’x16’ living room.
I’ve tried many pianos from under 5’ to over 7’.
Generally (but not always) the larger the better for bass in my experience.
180cm to 190cm is about 5’11” to 6’3”.
From what I played hunting for a piano:
5’11” Bechstein Model A was OK. Better than anything smaller.
6’3” Bluthner that I tried had good bass and overall a lovely tone.
7’4” Bechstein Model C was fantastic.
I haven’t played a Fazioli or S&S. I don’t think I could afford one.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
For richness, clarity, incisiveness, I have heard very few pianos in which the bass matches mine - which is a mere 180 cm. A Bluthner of 1878. I think the reason perhaps is that the bass is straight-strung.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can answer the big bass question. For over three years i have been collecting soundboard data from every manufacturer i come across and rebuild.
Comparing rib scales as one element, i found how mfg's design flexibility into the bass ribs to get a bigger bass. On a scale from 50 to 100
50 being stiff and 100 being flexible. Steinway is 60 except the B and D which are 80. Mason and Hamlin is 75, Baldwin is 80. I just got a Baldwin SD-6 in and will be analysing it soon. Very big bass on this one. The Bluthner is mentioned, it measured at 85, as well as Decker Bros, and Collard and Collard. Chickering measured at 100. But i think anything over 85 contain engineering flaws. I will be publishing my database, computer software and a manual in the near future. Groundbreaking info for any future designer or rebuilder wishing to have more control over the outcomes of their boards.

-chris

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Put your 6' piano parallel to a wall and all\any of them will be the 'best'.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
The piano will be plenty loud, but you'll have cancellations if the room is small. so there will be valleys in a few notes.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Have you considered the Yamaha SX series? The hand wound bass strings combined with the acoustic resonance enhancement gives them really good bass. If you go and watch James Pavel Shawcross's videos on them, he comments that the bass on the smaller models is much better than you would expect for a piano of that size.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
What are your criteria for best bass, Vikendos? Incisive, rich, clear, musical, beefy. loud? How much would you budget for acoustic treatment of the room? Repertoire?

And the pianist's ears?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission