2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
What would be a good way to get sound out of stage 3 for home use? Such as something that also has a lot of low end for organ and synth sounds. Would you suggest something such as pair of monitors with 5” woofer or a keyboard amp on the floor?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sebs; 04/10/21 05:23 PM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
5" woofers won't go low enough for organ. Use 8" or larger woofers, or a subwoofer.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
If you want low-end, there is no substitute for a sub.

[Linked Image]

John_C - Colorado Springs
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
+1

For organ, I believe there is no substitute for a sub. Especially if you want to have a upper and lower manual setup, with a pedal unit (or the lowest register of the lower manual)

I am not into organ anymore, but we had a Roland KC amp + a 10" subwoofer fed by two keyboards (Hammond XK1C and Korg Grandstage, no separate pedal unit) and it literally rocked the Church basement when the lower registers and pedal were being played.

Last edited by mmathew; 04/11/21 07:10 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John_C

[Linked Image]

Neat and tidy. Check.
No annoyingly visible wires. Check.
Appears to be a sturdy desk and adjustable chair. Check.
Only needed equipment and nothing else. Check.
Located at a spot which appears to have no distractions. Check.

Lovely setup John.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

This is hardly on topic but given thoughts of dual manuals and full bass pedal sets, I can't help myself mentioning having recently, coincidentially, discovered Barbara Dennerlein:

*Man* she's good... *And* Rhoda Scott of course.

Cheers and happy (intense!) swinging,

HZ

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
5" woofers won't go low enough for organ. Use 8" or larger woofers, or a subwoofer.

That’s what I was looking for. I really don’t plan to use organ sounds much but if decide to I want the setup to sound good. Thinking maybe use nord monitors then a sub on the floor? Or am I better off with just having 8” pair of monitors?

Originally Posted by John_C

[Linked Image]

Great looking setup. Can a sub go anywhere in the area near by? Wondering if do the route with sub could I hook up two keyboards to it and have it between them?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Vox 50KB is a good synth amp, but I was disappointed with the pure piano reproduction.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Studio monitors with 5" woofers and a studio subwoofer is best for organs. A 10" subwoofer should be adequate-- low C on a 16' organ stop has a fundamental at 32 Hz in A440 tuning.

A studio subwoofer will have the easiest connectivity interface for powered studio monitors.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Studio monitors with 5" woofers and a studio subwoofer is best for organs. A 10" subwoofer should be adequate-- low C on a 16' organ stop has a fundamental at 32 Hz in A440 tuning.

A studio subwoofer will have the easiest connectivity interface for powered studio monitors.

Thank you. Why is that studio monitors are so widely used versus a keyboard amp on floor?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Keyboard amps are designed to fill a large space. It is more expensive to make a speaker that fills a larger space at the same fidelity as one designed to fill a small space. Organs are especially sensitive to having a flat frequency response because you cannot compensate for nonlinearities by adjusting touch and velocity. You will have to pay alot of $ to get a PA or keyboard amp that is as flat as a $300 pair of studio monitors.

Also, a 12" driver to fill a large space will not go much deeper into the bass range than a 5" driver on a studio monitor. The frequency response of the JBL EON 612 is similar to that of a JBL 305P.

Monitors from KRK, JBL, Presonus, Tannoy, Mackie, or Yamaha are all adequate. More expensive monitors will separate multiple instruments in a mix more accurately, but if you are just playing one instrument through the monitors, they are a waste of money in my view.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I really don’t plan to use organ sounds much but if decide to I want the setup to sound good. Thinking maybe use nord monitors then a sub on the floor? Or am I better off with just having 8” pair of monitors?
For just pianos you don't need a subwoofer and 5" drivers are fine without a subwoofer. For organs with 16' stop or bass synthesizers, monitors with 8" drivers are still not fully sufficient, so you are better off starting with 5" monitors and adding a studio subwoofer if you need it.

I consider the Nord monitors to be overpriced for what they are, which are Audio Pro speakers painted red, and with a plate amp installed into the case like a studio monitor.

Sometimes seamless subwoofer integration is difficult, so getting a subwoofer from the same manufacturer as the monitor can be helpful. I recommend selecting a monitor for which there is a subwoofer in the product line as insurance in case you find some subwoofers don't integrate well with your monitors. This precludes the Nord Piano monitors.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
An amp on the floor is a mono experience.. and aiming the thing... well not optimal for sound quality. Stereo speakers left and right of your head, above the keyboard, will let you hear all the care put into the board's samples. The samples in our keyboards are crafted for this listening experience.... unless the sample is denoted otherwise such as those denoted "mono" to be used for live performance, and "binaural" for headphone experience.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
This is very helpful. Thinking then a set of Yamaha HS5 or Focal Aplha 50? Focal 50 are on sale so both are about same price.

I’ll hold off on subwoofer and I was only thinking I needed one because I was using Nord monitors on a different keyboard and was never happy with the sound wasn’t sure if I was being picky or if they’re just not that great for keyboard sounds.

I am thinking of buying a pair of Alto TS308 for my Roland FP90X.

Anyone use them / thoughts on them?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sebs
This is very helpful. Thinking then a set of Yamaha HS5 or Focal Aplha 50? Focal 50 are on sale so both are about same price.

I’ll hold off on subwoofer and I was only thinking I needed one because I was using Nord monitors on a different keyboard and was never happy with the sound wasn’t sure if I was being picky or if they’re just not that great for keyboard sounds.

The Yamaha 5" has a bit less bass extension than some of the others, so without a subwoofer, it probably would not be my first choice. The Focal 50 has a good bass rolloff spec so it should work very well. The Mackie MR524 or JBL 305P or a Presonus monitor will save you some money and work fine as an instrument monitor.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ampersand

In how large of a venue do want to perform with them?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sebs

The Yamaha 5" has a bit less bass extension than some of the others, so without a subwoofer, it probably would not be my first choice. The Focal 50 has a good bass rolloff spec so it should work very well. The Mackie MR524 or JBL 305P or a Presonus monitor will save you some money and work fine as an instrument monitor.
I know peiole who recommend the Presonus 5" monitors, but they also have a little less bass extension. I use JBL LSR305's myself.

Originally Posted by Ampersand

In how large of a venue do want to perform with them?

At home for myself but I want something that will sound good.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Alto PAs would not be my choice for home speakers. If you are playing for yourself or in a small, I would get studio monitors. If you are giving living room recitals you may want midfield speakers. I prefer nearfield monitors with wider dispersion than some, which means they are less effective for mix engineering and more mid-price, an additional benefit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission