2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
This makes me think about the huge story (on PW few years ago) of another guy with a Steinway, and his mother touched his Steinway without his permission... LOL

Not sure about Steinway, but my Yamaha has a lock and key on the front so you can lock the lid. It's clear that Yamaha anticipated this scenario and took appropriate action.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
You bought the Yamaha?! If so congratulations and many years of happiness.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
No, I mean my existing Yamaha U3.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jethro
Does Kawai need an official report? The pianos have been speaking for themselves for decades.

Is that not how the world works? They say something, we call them a liar, they do the product demo, some other people in the field replicate the findings, and then we reassess.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/14/21 07:02 PM.
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by EinLudov
Originally Posted by Jethro
Does Kawai need an official report? The pianos have been speaking for themselves for decades.

Is that not how the world works? They say something, we call them a liar, they do the product demo, some other people in the field replicate the findings, and then we reassess.
I don’t think they have to say anything. It’s the owners, techs, teachers, and universities that will tell you all you need to know. Word of mouth- that’s how the world works.

You produce crap year after year and the world hears about that as well.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/14/21 07:08 PM.
R
R
Sonepica,

I've been reading your reviews of high end pianos with much interest. Perhaps you could do some video reviews of the pianos you've played, similar to "ThePianoForever" youtube channel.

If video isn't your thing, even just the audio recording done the same way (Yes, rooms will be different, but at least we'll get a good baseline) would be enormously helpful. This forum is about sharing experiences, and what's better than sharing your shopping experience of top notch pianos (and their Chinese competition), and highlighting what you find as strengths and weaknesses?

(I think a Zoom mic mounted like in this video should be very portable and provide good sound quality
)

Best wishes with your piano hunt!

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Haha. I don't have time to do piano reviews. But I'll create some more videos of my playing once I get my new piano.

R
R
Sure. Maybe not full reviews, but how about 3-5 minute audio recordings of each piano you try and your impressions of them in text form posted here with links?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'm thinking of going with the S7X just because it might have a superior action, good for technically challenging pieces. Not that I noticed anything wrong with the Hailun action.

G
G
Hi Sonepica,

I am curious if you have tried out Kawai's modern action.
A couple days ago I made the decision to go with a GX3 over an Hailun 198 because the kawai action was far superior. In fact was the most pleasing action i've tried. Also I noticed that treble sustain on Kawai is superior to treble sustain on Yamahas that i have tried.

I'm curious on what your thoughts will be about that. Their highest end line of course is the shigeru, which should be in your price range since you are considering some very high end pianos.

Last edited by GnGEmpire; 04/16/21 01:31 AM.
W
W
If you are having this much difficulty deciding, then you should move on and spare us. It should be an experience/decision of your soul...not whether it’s sand casted or the treble has X amount of sustain or the bass strings are wound in a certain way. Make a decision and be good with it.

I’m beginning to wonder if you just enjoy the attention.

W
W
Hi the OP
I think I know which Hailun piano you tried. There should be only one big Hailun piano in the Melbourne dealer in the suburb of Ringwood.

I played that piano once and I was very impressed with it. Fine action and very warm sound (quite European I dare say). I think they have leased the piano out for some piano festival before so one could argue they should not try to sell it as brand new.

I think you are over thinking your purchase. But given you don't instantly fall in love with the S7X I would suggest you hold fire for now given it is a lot of money.

Reading your posts, I am guessing the OP is an engineer or a scientist. I was like that as well obsessed with specifications.

Good luck and keep us posted.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by GnGEmpire
Hi Sonepica,

I am curious if you have tried out Kawai's modern action.
A couple days ago I made the decision to go with a GX3 over an Hailun 198 because the kawai action was far superior. In fact was the most pleasing action i've tried. Also I noticed that treble sustain on Kawai is superior to treble sustain on Yamahas that i have tried.

I'm curious on what your thoughts will be about that. Their highest end line of course is the shigeru, which should be in your price range since you are considering some very high end pianos.

I've posted my thoughts on the Shigeru Kawais before. The dealer only had an SK5, so it's possible I would have liked the larger models more, but I found it to have a fairly weak sound. Not brash and powerful like the Yamaha. Given the sort of music I play, it wasn't right for me.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by wg73
If you are having this much difficulty deciding, then you should move on and spare us. It should be an experience/decision of your soul...not whether it’s sand casted or the treble has X amount of sustain or the bass strings are wound in a certain way. Make a decision and be good with it.

I’m beginning to wonder if you just enjoy the attention.

No one's forcing you to read my threads or post on them.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
From the OPs blog, he is a very experienced pianist, who would be very capable of knowing what tone and touch appeal to him. If you elicit opinions from an Internet forum, you can easily be swayed by those that have a clear brand preference other than yours developed from the specific piano you played. The fact he is considering buying a piano he didn’t really like is evidence this is happening.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
From the OPs blog, he is a very experienced pianist, who would be very capable of knowing what tone and touch appeal to him. If you elicit opinions from an Internet forum, you can easily be swayed by those that have a clear brand preference other than yours developed from the specific piano you played. The fact he is considering buying a piano he didn’t really like is evidence this is happening.

You mean the Yamaha? It's not at all true that I didn't like it. It just noticed the one down side that it seemed to have a crisp treble rather than a high-sustain treble. But all pianos have downsides, including Bosendorfer and Fazioli.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by dogperson

You mean the Yamaha? It's not at all true that I didn't like it. It just noticed the one down side that it seemed to have a crisp treble rather than a high-sustain treble. But all pianos have downsides, including Bosendorfer and Fazioli.

If you like the crisp treble rather than a high sustain treble, then buy it. You are right that ‘no piano is perfect’; but only YOU, rather than an Internet forum, can decide which elements are important to you. Ask yourself about any piano ‘will I be happy with this piano in five years?’

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I got a bit of ear fatigue playing the Yamaha S7X and C7X in the showroom. They are loud pianos, even in a big showroom.

Now that you are about to pull the trigger, you might also want to consider the room you will place your new piano.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/

Online Content
I got a bit of ear fatigue playing the Yamaha S7X and C7X in the showroom. They are loud pianos, even in a big showroom.
But later you say
The dealer only had an SK5, so it's possible I would have liked the larger models more, but I found it to have a fairly weak sound. Not brash and powerful like the Yamaha.
Those statements seem inconsistent. In a home setting I don't see why one should be concerned with brash and powerful. Almost any size piano will normally be powerful enough in a home setting unless one is playing in a gigantic room. I think most pianists choose larger piano because of the quality of the bass and not how powerfully they can play on them.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But later you say
The dealer only had an SK5, so it's possible I would have liked the larger models more, but I found it to have a fairly weak sound. Not brash and powerful like the Yamaha.
Those statements seem inconsistent. In a home setting I don't see why one should be concerned with brash and powerful. Almost any size piano will normally be powerful enough in a home setting unless one is playing in a gigantic room. I think most pianists choose larger piano because of the quality of the bass and not how powerfully they can play on them.

After having a C3 for 7 years, I had experience on exactly how big and loud a 6 foot piano would be in my home. Since Sonepica is using a U3 right now, he might think he needs 7 and 1/2 foot piano to fill the house where an SK5 would be enough.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission