2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (36251, brdwyguy, Amadeus M., Adagiette, Boboulus, anotherscott, beeboss, 18 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by James44
Ok so what I would like to do but don't know if it's possible is this: record a video of me playing using the smartphone but in a way that the sound goes directly to the phone/video rather than using the phone's microphone.

I know it's possible with the go mixer pro but I can't find that in stock anywhere and wondered if it's possible to do it some other way?

This worked for me.

url=https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/229346/how-do-i-record-video-on-ios-with-external-audio-interface]Record external audio[/url]

I’ve used motiv by sure for video recording and it has a sound meter and I just checked and it works too

I am using a lightening to usb cable to connect directly to the fp90x

Also handy for virtual instruments

FP-90x, PX-330
Ok so what I would like to do but don't know if it's possible is this: record a video of me playing using the smartphone but in a way that the sound goes directly to the phone/video rather than using the phone's microphone.

I know it's possible with the go mixer pro but I can't find that in stock anywhere and wondered if it's possible to do it some other way?

I know a store in the US that has a couple go mixer pro, pm me if you are interested.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/22/21 11:16 AM.
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Ampersand
It is an internal speaker issue.

The internal speakers are not good sounding period.

I tried them with Spotify listening to songs and still does not sound good to me. Maybe to others it sounds great but not to me.

The low notes issue is a different issue altogether.

I have that problem with my headphones too!!!

That being said I appreciate your help and will try your suggestions to see if it helps.

Maybe this is the point where you just cut your losses and return the keyboard.

It is far too expensive for you to be not happy with the sound.

There is obviously some speaker, headphone that you are happy listening too. And if that plugged into the fp90x and listening to audio through Bluetooth or through usb isn’t cutting it then you know your answer.

But the classic way to trouble shoot something is to start with something that works and change one thing at a time.

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
I like the action too much to return it.

I play with headphones 98% and I choose registration — 1-2 superlightST or number 6 Concert Brilliance and like those.

Like I said I will try your suggestions and see if it helps.

And if I can make the audio interface work with my lessons, I will barely need to use the internal speakers.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/22/21 11:36 AM.
J
J
I like the action too much to return it.

I play with headphones 98% and I choose registration — 1-2 superlightST or number 6 Concert Brilliance and like those.

Like I said I will try your suggestions and see if it helps.

And if I can make the audio interface work with my lessons, I will barely need to use the internal speakers.
How long have you been using it? I am only on day 2 and am starting to like the piano sounds better now. I was also going to suggest some of the bright ones as Purdy suggested. I forget now which ones I particularly liked but there were a few where at least the lower register started to sound more like what I was expecting or what I am used to from the KR-7. I must say though I generally stuck to one piano sound on the KR-7 and rarely deviated from it except to play rock piano or whatever. But for playing clasical music and most contemporary music I stuck with the one classical concert piano setting with quite a bit of reverb.

I think and hope it's just a matter of time until you find a setting you like.

I love the feel of the keys though.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It’s interesting because a lot of the criticism of the supernatural and I suppose pure acoustic modeling seems to stem around the sound being too metallic or I suppose too bright.

The concert brilliant snd stage bright are to my ears very bright pianos. I think more suited to cutting through in a group then playing alone.

I agree that you should give your ears a chance to adjust.

You can only expect so much out of the internal speakers as I think as with all speakers that size, they just don’t sufficiently produce low frequencies.

Real pianos have a lot of.vibration in the bass and the small speakers just don’t move enough air and there is no real resonance chamber.

And it is interesting that you feel the bass is muddy because you can tell that Roland went through a lot of effort to model the resonance and sympathetic vibrations that occur on acoustic pianos, And the sustain on notes is pretty cool on how long it can last.

Just goes to show how subjective sound is.

FP-90x, PX-330
Originally Posted by Beansparrow
Not sure how you are trying to set things up, are you trying to route your zoom audio to the DP speakers? If so you can just use Bluetooth audio and save the hassle on wired connections.

I would like for my teacher to hear me play via audio interface instead of my internal speakers.

I see. I would normally just connect the line out from DP to audio interface connected to a laptop, not sure if it is even possible to feed the audio back via the same usb connection.

Originally Posted by Purdy
It’s interesting because a lot of the criticism of the supernatural and I suppose pure acoustic modeling seems to stem around the sound being too metallic or I suppose too bright.

The concert brilliant snd stage bright are to my ears very bright pianos. I think more suited to cutting through in a group then playing alone.

I agree that you should give your ears a chance to adjust.

You can only expect so much out of the internal speakers as I think as with all speakers that size, they just don’t sufficiently produce low frequencies.

Real pianos have a lot of.vibration in the bass and the small speakers just don’t move enough air and there is no real resonance chamber.

And it is interesting that you feel the bass is muddy because you can tell that Roland went through a lot of effort to model the resonance and sympathetic vibrations that occur on acoustic pianos, And the sustain on notes is pretty cool on how long it can last.

Just goes to show how subjective sound is.

My HD6XX headphones arrived recently and I was quite amazed how much it tamed that metallic ringing that plagued my Shure SRH840, which I always thought was the fault of the pureacoustic sound engine. I didn’t realize how much that Shure was accentuating those ringing resonances, which masked a lot of details in the piano tones. With the HD6XX, the ringing sits _behind_ the main piano sound, creating a much more natural piano tone.

Using pianoteq the difference in piano tones is not so pronounced, except the pedal noise. Again the HD6XX required no alteration at 0db, but for the shures I need to bring the pedal noise down 10-12db so as not to sound like clanging cymbals with every step.

Purely my own opinion, with the HD6XX I find the pureacoustic engine seemingly more detailed than pianoteq.

As for internal speaker sounds, I’ve come to understand room acoustics plays a big and mostly overlooked factor in sound quality. I believe most pianos are tuned to project to large space (more so for cabinet ones like my LX706). Of course I don’t mean a stadium but for instance a large living room or a space with high ceilings. If you have it placed, eg. in a small rectangular room on side of the long wall it will be muddy especially in the bass notes. For these setups small near field external speakers and an optional sub would possibly do better.

Finally I also find coming from a sampled piano engine to modeling, there is some adjustment in playing needed to handle the longer sustain and resonances. I don’t know how it compares to a real grand piano, but I guess it is only a good thing to be more aware of pedaling techniques and such.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Not sure how you are trying to set things up, are you trying to route your zoom audio to the DP speakers? If so you can just use Bluetooth audio and save the hassle on wired connections.

I would like for my teacher to hear me play via audio interface instead of my internal speakers.

I see. I would normally just connect the line out from DP to audio interface connected to a laptop, not sure if it is even possible to feed the audio back via the same usb connection.

The fp90x is an audio interface so you can get sound out and in via the USB port. No external audio interface required.

If you want to have your teacher hear you talk or sing you would have to hook up the mic to the fp90x. I am assuming it also captures the mic input through the usb audio out.

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J

This worked for me.

url=https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/229346/how-do-i-record-video-on-ios-with-external-audio-interface]Record external audio[/url]

I’ve used motiv by sure for video recording and it has a sound meter and I just checked and it works too

Thanks for this, I'm a bit thick though and don't quite understand how it works. 😬

J
J
Anyone know a good pair of headphones to use? I am using bose 700 which are good but wondering if for digital pianos it's better to have a pair of Roland headphones or some other pair dedicated to digital piano sounds?

S
S
Thinking of purchasing FP90X, I play tested PHA50 and it felt too "deep" and not resistant enough for classical music. The sound "out of the box" felt a bit "glassy". I like the other sounds though. But I will stick to my Kawai ES8, even though that one also has issues hence I was looking for a replacement. It'd be OK for other styles, but Chopin doesn't feel right fo me on PHA50. Re headphones, I like my open back Sennheisers. This model is still in production after 10 years-a rare example of quality. Tried others and they are still the best.

one musical washboard and a kazoo, Sennheiser HD598, Kawai ES8, Casio Privia Px 320
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Anyone know a good pair of headphones to use? I am using bose 700 which are good but wondering if for digital pianos it's better to have a pair of Roland headphones or some other pair dedicated to digital piano sounds?

With the FP90, my old open-back Sennheiser HD545 (150Ohm) are fine. Some others are strikingly worse, not sure if this is due to the headphones amp or to the Roland DP engine, adjusting eq didn't help much. I don't believe in Roland headphones, I'd stick with audiophile favourites. So try before buying; if you can't, buy from a place that accepts returns.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

This worked for me.

Thanks for this, I'm a bit thick though and don't quite understand how it works. 😬

Open the camera app
Plug-in the usb Cable
The app will detect that there is a usb audio device and use it instead of the built in microphone

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
it felt too "deep" and not resistant enough for classical music

My experience is the velocity curve has a huge influence on the feel

By default the fp90x is at 60 on a scale of 0 to 100

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J

This worked for me.

Open the camera app
Plug-in the usb Cable
The app will detect that there is a usb audio device and use it instead of the built in microphone
Ah ok, thanks that seems easy enough. I have the iPad Air 2020 which is a usb-c connection. So I need a usb-c to usb cable, right? The usb on the piano is which kind of usb type though? Type B or type B mini?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Type B or type B mini?

Type B

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
Type B or type B mini?

Type B
Thank you for your help, thought so and went ahead and ordered one on Amazon. Won't arrive until Monday, the agony....but in the meantime I can try the usb flash drive at least to save a mp3 audio and then put it on my computer.

J
J
What is the most up to date firmware version please?

J
J
Can answer that myself, it's 1.03. So mine needs updating from 1.01. It says ambience wasn't working properly in 1.02 but I wonder if that means it also wasn't working properly in 1.01? 🤔

Will update later and see if anything seems any better.

Last edited by James44; 04/24/21 07:25 AM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing piano outside?
by Sam S - 09/27/21 06:21 PM
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,322
Posts3,135,603
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission