2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
99 members (36251, brdwyguy, Amadeus M., Adagiette, Boboulus, anotherscott, beeboss, 19 invisible), 1,224 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#3108351 04/20/21 01:17 PM
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
By popular demand, a place to discuss all things related to the Roland FP-90X.

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
I got my FP90X about 3 weeks ago, I like it a lot.

I sold my FP90 and also cancelled my N1X order.

I am curious about other people settings.

I would like to know how to post a picture like you did above.

V
V
@ampersand: do you mind explaining why the FP90x is better than the FP90, to justify an upgrade?

Last edited by vagfilm; 04/20/21 01:56 PM.
B
B
I, too, am curious why you prefer the FP90x to the FP 90. And, if you don't mind, could you explain how you sold your old unit -- to a store, via Craigslist, etc.?

Roland fp90, Beyerdynamic dt880, Sennheiser hd600, Schiit Asgard III, Becker Brothers upright (1906).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Ampersand and Purdy! Purdy I think you should get that "flap" out from below the pedal - helps hold the pedal firmly in place.

We really would love to hear some sound samples.

AFAIK, the only difference between the models is the PureAcoustic Piano Modeling, and the ambience effects brought by the PureAcoustic model.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
E
E
- Hey, let's make power and pedal cables long enough that they are able to run down along the stand's sides!
- Ha. Don't think so!

[Linked Image]

J
J
I get mine this week. For just playing at home are the built-in speakers good enough?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Ampersand
I got my FP90X about 3 weeks ago, I like it a lot.

I sold my FP90 and also cancelled my N1X order.

I am curious about other people settings.

I would like to know how to post a picture like you did above.

Congrats

I went through all the settings and left it at default, I pushed the high end equalizer down a tad. And reduced the default velocity curve down by 10.

How to post a picture

Last edited by Purdy; 04/20/21 04:29 PM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by mmathew
Congrats Ampersand and Purdy! Purdy I think you should get that "flap" out from below the pedal - helps hold the pedal firmly in place.

Funny you should mention that I noticed it the other day thought maybe I should take it off, but it does add some weight and I was playing on the patio the other day on concrete and I suppose it helped.

Kind of an odd thing though. Could have been made to fit better.

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Purdy

Funny you should mention that I noticed it the other day thought maybe I should take it off, but it does add some weight and I was playing on the patio the other day on concrete and I suppose it helped.

Kind of an odd thing though. Could have been made to fit better.

I apologize; I meant, "flip" it so your heel is on that flap, and your toes on the pedal, like this...

[Linked Image]

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I apologize; I meant, "flip" it so your heel is on that flap, and your toes on the pedal, like this...

Well that is obvious, now. wink. I suppose it is in a manual somewhere.

Thanks for sharing.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by James44
I get mine this week. For just playing at home are the built-in speakers good enough?

I think so although I do like to hook up a subwoofer to get some vibrations out of the bass.

I tried out through my magneplanar speakers which aren’t cheap but my amp has some delay in it and I was dealing with room acoustics.

Using an external speaker almost always adds some delay to the sound.

My last keyboard had speakers where the sound came out more in the back. And oddly I never noticed that for quite some time, until I moved it away from the wall and put it in the middle of a room and heard my son play.

So a little adjustment for me sound wise.

I did notice the other day with the outside jams session with drums, a couple of guitars, and a bass that I could hear my playing better. Really appreciated that. It’s like having a monitor.

Anyway, built in speakers will be just fine for playing at home. I’m no sure it is as loud as it should be from the claimed wattage.

But you do have to be careful if you are playing piano and switch to organ as it can blast your eardrums out so maybe it is loud enough.

FP-90x, PX-330
Originally Posted by vagfilm
@ampersand: do you mind explaining why the FP90x is better than the FP90, to justify an upgrade?

I never claimed it was better for the record.

I’m afraid I won’t be much help here, I’m not a very technical person.

Truthfully, I really liked the FP90 and I had the funds to buy the FP90X so I bought it, hoping it would be an upgrade.

Personally, I don’t think there is a big difference between both of them, still I’m really happy.

It’s the action I really like.

In fact I like the action so much, I decided to cancel my N1X order.

Originally Posted by Baltguy
I, too, am curious why you prefer the FP90x to the FP 90. And, if you don't mind, could you explain how you sold your old unit -- to a store, via Craigslist, etc.?

I sold it on Facebook.

Some may disagree with me but both the FP90 and FP90X internal speakers sounds is not good.

I just bought JBL 305P powered speakers and trying to make that work, but like I said I’m not a technical person.

V
V
@ampersand: thanks for explaining... I was simply curious about the upgrade.

Last edited by vagfilm; 04/21/21 03:06 AM.
J
J
Hm, I don't like the idea of delay when using external speakers even if the quality is better. Hopefully I will be ok with the built-in speakers. It will only be in a smallish living room.

J
J
It's arrived! Still in the box though... 😁

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Unboxing video? laugh

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hm, I don't like the idea of delay when using external speakers even if the quality is better. Hopefully I will be ok with the built-in speakers. It will only be in a smallish living room.

Delay may or may not be an issue.

Speakers have plenty of output for a living room.

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J

Unboxing video? laugh

haha too late!

J
J

Had a quick go. Yeah, I won't need external speakers. In fact I often had to keep sliding the volume down! 🤣

Well I know I will be keeping it. Will have to play around a bit until I am happy with the piano sounds but already there were a few that I liked.

I found the hammer action and keys in general to be great, definitely pleased with that.

Does anyone know, I know I can record a piece directly on it but can I then send it via Bluetooth to my phone to share with others through WhatsApp etc?

I am trying to connect to zoom for my lessons online.

So far I connected from my FP90X USB to my iPad with a lightning adapter. It doesn’t seem to work. When I get home I will try and see if it will work on my laptop but I would prefer to have work on my iPad.

I would rather not use an audio interface like focusrite if I can do it directly from the FP90X.

Anyone else tried this/ or suggestions?

Had a quick go. Yeah, I won't need external speakers. In fact I often had to keep sliding the volume down! 🤣

Well I know I will be keeping it. Will have to play around a bit until I am happy with the piano sounds but already there were a few that I liked.

I found the hammer action and keys in general to be great, definitely pleased with that.

Does anyone know, I know I can record a piece directly on it but can I then send it via Bluetooth to my phone to share with others through WhatsApp etc?

Yes the speakers are plenty loud.

My problem is how the speakers sound.

Do you find they sound good?

E
E
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but can't it be done via bluetooth?

E
E
Mine sound good enough when playing audio from the phone over bluetooth, so I can't imagine they fare worse regarding the internal sound. What about yours don't you like?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

So far I connected from my FP90X USB to my iPad with a lightning adapter. It doesn’t seem to work. When I get home I will try and see if it will work on my laptop but I would prefer to have work on my iPad.

I would rather not use an audio interface like focusrite if I can do it directly from the FP90X.

Both my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro connect through usb for midi and audio. They just work.

I’m not sure how zoom fits into that picture.

Some apps you have to connect to the fp90x

FP-90x, PX-330

Both my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro connect through usb for midi and audio. They just work.

Yeah, same here I can connect to my iPhone with the usb on the back of the keyboards.

It won’t work with zoom.

So I check the version (for fun) and my version is 1.0.1 and the latest is 1.0.3, I couldn’t even do the update. I kept getting “no update file”. I will go buy a different memory stick and see if this help.

I don’t think the upgrade will fix my zoom problem but it can’t hurt.

Not sure how you are trying to set things up, are you trying to route your zoom audio to the DP speakers? If so you can just use Bluetooth audio and save the hassle on wired connections.

J
J

Yes the speakers are plenty loud.

My problem is how the speakers sound.

Do you find they sound good?
Do you mean you don't like the sound from the internal speakers so you're using external now? So far they sound pretty good to me. My only issue so far is on the piano sounds the lower register sounds a bit muddy to me but I haven't played around with the equalizer settings or any settings at all yet so am hoping I can figure that out.

Originally Posted by Beansparrow
Not sure how you are trying to set things up, are you trying to route your zoom audio to the DP speakers? If so you can just use Bluetooth audio and save the hassle on wired connections.

I would like for my teacher to hear me play via audio interface instead of my internal speakers.

Do you mean you don't like the sound from the internal speakers so you're using external now? So far they sound pretty good to me. My only issue so far is on the piano sounds the lower register sounds a bit muddy to me but I haven't played around with the equalizer settings or any settings at all yet so am hoping I can figure that out.

Yes I don’t like the sound via internal speakers and like you I find the lower notes muddy.

If you get to improve the sound please share your settings.

I tried messing with the EQ and it would not save the changes. :-(

I kinda like my piano sound on the bright side.

J
J

Yes I don’t like the sound via internal speakers and like you I find the lower notes muddy.

If you get to improve the sound please share your settings.

I tried messing with the EQ and it would not save the changes. :-(

I kinda like my piano sound on the bright side.
What about with the Piano Designer App, have you tried that yet?

I did but not much of a difference.

Probably going to just live with it.

J
J
I did but not much of a difference.

Probably going to just live with it.
I am hoping I don't notice it after a while.... or that my ears will pop and it will suddenly sound better!

I like the mids and highs so far, just those lows bugging me a bit.

Last edited by James44; 04/22/21 09:53 AM.
J
J
I wonder if the lows still sound like that through external speakers?

I started using the free Korg Module with the free sample grand piano for iPhone. Sounds pretty good. I’m still not satisfied. Maybe I’m to picky??? I am hoping pianoteq will have a iOS version that sounds good soon. I’m really not interested in connecting my piano to a laptop. I’m the type of person who wants to play piano and not mess with technology if I can help it.

Yes, to me anyways.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/22/21 10:05 AM.
J
J
Ok so what I would like to do but don't know if it's possible is this: record a video of me playing using the smartphone but in a way that the sound goes directly to the phone/video rather than using the phone's microphone.

I know it's possible with the go mixer pro but I can't find that in stock anywhere and wondered if it's possible to do it some other way?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

Yes, to me anyways.

So it is not an internal speaker issue.

If you like a bright piano, try the stage or stage bright or concert brilliant

The equalizer slider setting don’t change when you power off. The equalizer frequency and mid range settings can be saved by doing a memory save function.

There is quite a bit of stuff going on in the low range of a piano.

I would turn ambience off,

lid to max, cabinet resonance off, soundboard to max

Turn all the resonances off
duplex scale off

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
It is an internal speaker issue.

The internal speakers are not good sounding period.

I tried them with Spotify listening to songs and still does not sound good to me. Maybe to others it sounds great but not to me.

The low notes issue is a different issue altogether.

I have that problem with my headphones too!!!

That being said I appreciate your help and will try your suggestions to see if it helps.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Ok so what I would like to do but don't know if it's possible is this: record a video of me playing using the smartphone but in a way that the sound goes directly to the phone/video rather than using the phone's microphone.

I know it's possible with the go mixer pro but I can't find that in stock anywhere and wondered if it's possible to do it some other way?

This worked for me.

url=https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/229346/how-do-i-record-video-on-ios-with-external-audio-interface]Record external audio[/url]

I’ve used motiv by sure for video recording and it has a sound meter and I just checked and it works too

I am using a lightening to usb cable to connect directly to the fp90x

Also handy for virtual instruments

FP-90x, PX-330

I know a store in the US that has a couple go mixer pro, pm me if you are interested.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/22/21 11:16 AM.
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It is an internal speaker issue.

The internal speakers are not good sounding period.

I tried them with Spotify listening to songs and still does not sound good to me. Maybe to others it sounds great but not to me.

The low notes issue is a different issue altogether.

I have that problem with my headphones too!!!

That being said I appreciate your help and will try your suggestions to see if it helps.

Maybe this is the point where you just cut your losses and return the keyboard.

It is far too expensive for you to be not happy with the sound.

There is obviously some speaker, headphone that you are happy listening too. And if that plugged into the fp90x and listening to audio through Bluetooth or through usb isn’t cutting it then you know your answer.

But the classic way to trouble shoot something is to start with something that works and change one thing at a time.

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
I like the action too much to return it.

I play with headphones 98% and I choose registration — 1-2 superlightST or number 6 Concert Brilliance and like those.

Like I said I will try your suggestions and see if it helps.

And if I can make the audio interface work with my lessons, I will barely need to use the internal speakers.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/22/21 11:36 AM.
J
J
I like the action too much to return it.

I play with headphones 98% and I choose registration — 1-2 superlightST or number 6 Concert Brilliance and like those.

Like I said I will try your suggestions and see if it helps.

And if I can make the audio interface work with my lessons, I will barely need to use the internal speakers.
How long have you been using it? I am only on day 2 and am starting to like the piano sounds better now. I was also going to suggest some of the bright ones as Purdy suggested. I forget now which ones I particularly liked but there were a few where at least the lower register started to sound more like what I was expecting or what I am used to from the KR-7. I must say though I generally stuck to one piano sound on the KR-7 and rarely deviated from it except to play rock piano or whatever. But for playing clasical music and most contemporary music I stuck with the one classical concert piano setting with quite a bit of reverb.

I think and hope it's just a matter of time until you find a setting you like.

I love the feel of the keys though.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It’s interesting because a lot of the criticism of the supernatural and I suppose pure acoustic modeling seems to stem around the sound being too metallic or I suppose too bright.

The concert brilliant snd stage bright are to my ears very bright pianos. I think more suited to cutting through in a group then playing alone.

I agree that you should give your ears a chance to adjust.

You can only expect so much out of the internal speakers as I think as with all speakers that size, they just don’t sufficiently produce low frequencies.

Real pianos have a lot of.vibration in the bass and the small speakers just don’t move enough air and there is no real resonance chamber.

And it is interesting that you feel the bass is muddy because you can tell that Roland went through a lot of effort to model the resonance and sympathetic vibrations that occur on acoustic pianos, And the sustain on notes is pretty cool on how long it can last.

Just goes to show how subjective sound is.

FP-90x, PX-330

I would like for my teacher to hear me play via audio interface instead of my internal speakers.

I see. I would normally just connect the line out from DP to audio interface connected to a laptop, not sure if it is even possible to feed the audio back via the same usb connection.

It’s interesting because a lot of the criticism of the supernatural and I suppose pure acoustic modeling seems to stem around the sound being too metallic or I suppose too bright.

The concert brilliant snd stage bright are to my ears very bright pianos. I think more suited to cutting through in a group then playing alone.

You can only expect so much out of the internal speakers as I think as with all speakers that size, they just don’t sufficiently produce low frequencies.

Real pianos have a lot of.vibration in the bass and the small speakers just don’t move enough air and there is no real resonance chamber.

And it is interesting that you feel the bass is muddy because you can tell that Roland went through a lot of effort to model the resonance and sympathetic vibrations that occur on acoustic pianos, And the sustain on notes is pretty cool on how long it can last.

My HD6XX headphones arrived recently and I was quite amazed how much it tamed that metallic ringing that plagued my Shure SRH840, which I always thought was the fault of the pureacoustic sound engine. I didn’t realize how much that Shure was accentuating those ringing resonances, which masked a lot of details in the piano tones. With the HD6XX, the ringing sits _behind_ the main piano sound, creating a much more natural piano tone.

Using pianoteq the difference in piano tones is not so pronounced, except the pedal noise. Again the HD6XX required no alteration at 0db, but for the shures I need to bring the pedal noise down 10-12db so as not to sound like clanging cymbals with every step.

Purely my own opinion, with the HD6XX I find the pureacoustic engine seemingly more detailed than pianoteq.

As for internal speaker sounds, I’ve come to understand room acoustics plays a big and mostly overlooked factor in sound quality. I believe most pianos are tuned to project to large space (more so for cabinet ones like my LX706). Of course I don’t mean a stadium but for instance a large living room or a space with high ceilings. If you have it placed, eg. in a small rectangular room on side of the long wall it will be muddy especially in the bass notes. For these setups small near field external speakers and an optional sub would possibly do better.

Finally I also find coming from a sampled piano engine to modeling, there is some adjustment in playing needed to handle the longer sustain and resonances. I don’t know how it compares to a real grand piano, but I guess it is only a good thing to be more aware of pedaling techniques and such.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

I see. I would normally just connect the line out from DP to audio interface connected to a laptop, not sure if it is even possible to feed the audio back via the same usb connection.

The fp90x is an audio interface so you can get sound out and in via the USB port. No external audio interface required.

If you want to have your teacher hear you talk or sing you would have to hook up the mic to the fp90x. I am assuming it also captures the mic input through the usb audio out.

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J

This worked for me.

url=https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/229346/how-do-i-record-video-on-ios-with-external-audio-interface]Record external audio[/url]

I’ve used motiv by sure for video recording and it has a sound meter and I just checked and it works too

Thanks for this, I'm a bit thick though and don't quite understand how it works. 😬

J
J
Anyone know a good pair of headphones to use? I am using bose 700 which are good but wondering if for digital pianos it's better to have a pair of Roland headphones or some other pair dedicated to digital piano sounds?

S
S
Thinking of purchasing FP90X, I play tested PHA50 and it felt too "deep" and not resistant enough for classical music. The sound "out of the box" felt a bit "glassy". I like the other sounds though. But I will stick to my Kawai ES8, even though that one also has issues hence I was looking for a replacement. It'd be OK for other styles, but Chopin doesn't feel right fo me on PHA50. Re headphones, I like my open back Sennheisers. This model is still in production after 10 years-a rare example of quality. Tried others and they are still the best.

one musical washboard and a kazoo, Sennheiser HD598, Kawai ES8, Casio Privia Px 320
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Anyone know a good pair of headphones to use? I am using bose 700 which are good but wondering if for digital pianos it's better to have a pair of Roland headphones or some other pair dedicated to digital piano sounds?

With the FP90, my old open-back Sennheiser HD545 (150Ohm) are fine. Some others are strikingly worse, not sure if this is due to the headphones amp or to the Roland DP engine, adjusting eq didn't help much. I don't believe in Roland headphones, I'd stick with audiophile favourites. So try before buying; if you can't, buy from a place that accepts returns.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

This worked for me.

Thanks for this, I'm a bit thick though and don't quite understand how it works. 😬

Open the camera app
Plug-in the usb Cable
The app will detect that there is a usb audio device and use it instead of the built in microphone

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
it felt too "deep" and not resistant enough for classical music

My experience is the velocity curve has a huge influence on the feel

By default the fp90x is at 60 on a scale of 0 to 100

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J

This worked for me.

Open the camera app
Plug-in the usb Cable
The app will detect that there is a usb audio device and use it instead of the built in microphone
Ah ok, thanks that seems easy enough. I have the iPad Air 2020 which is a usb-c connection. So I need a usb-c to usb cable, right? The usb on the piano is which kind of usb type though? Type B or type B mini?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Type B or type B mini?

Type B

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
Type B or type B mini?

Type B
Thank you for your help, thought so and went ahead and ordered one on Amazon. Won't arrive until Monday, the agony....but in the meantime I can try the usb flash drive at least to save a mp3 audio and then put it on my computer.

J
J
What is the most up to date firmware version please?

J
J
Can answer that myself, it's 1.03. So mine needs updating from 1.01. It says ambience wasn't working properly in 1.02 but I wonder if that means it also wasn't working properly in 1.01? 🤔

Will update later and see if anything seems any better.

Last edited by James44; 04/24/21 07:25 AM.

Yeah, same here I can connect to my iPhone with the usb on the back of the keyboards.

It won’t work with zoom.

So I check the version (for fun) and my version is 1.0.1 and the latest is 1.0.3, I couldn’t even do the update. I kept getting “no update file”. I will go buy a different memory stick and see if this help.

I don’t think the upgrade will fix my zoom problem but it can’t hurt.

I bought a new memory stick and was able to do the update.

At least I have the latest version now.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/25/21 10:46 PM.
J
J
Have also done the update and not noticed any improvements. However, today I played a lot with the headphones on and thought it sounded much better so am beginning to agree that the problem is the speakers.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The problem from the speakers is perhaps from the fact that the 2x30W of the FP90X while quite nice for a portable is not enough.

I have a decent 6x30W (N1X), but some people would prefer a 2x120W + 180W (Piano Phoenix). (Should I add Devialet speakers which sound pretty good : 900W per speaker).

It is quite hard to make speakers which rivals good headphones.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/27/21 05:03 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
E
According to
https://www.roland.com/global/suppo...rs/a837234c-fd73-47ee-bd26-9c245db2fdfe/
all that's been done by updates so far is:

- 1.02 fixed an issue with sostenuto which I'd never seen
- 1.03 fixed an issue with ambience that had been introduced by 1.02

It's not clear to me if any firmware update can fix problems with the speakers, especially since 'the speakers do not sound good' is not much to work on. I haven't managed to make mine sound anything other than normal - you send the sound to them, they reproduce the sound. Mine don't make poor sound sound good, but I haven't heard them making good sound sound poor either.

J
J
For me it's just that I struggle to find any piano sound where I like the tone and the low notes don't sound like there's a woolly hat covering the speakers. The mid and high ranges are fine for me.

Today I played with the on board piano designer a bit and that definitely helped. I set the lid higher up and that made a difference for me. So once I find something I am happy with in piano designer I will save it (you can save them, right?!).

Last edited by James44; 04/27/21 05:22 PM.
This guy in the N1X forum build or customized something to put on top of the speaker to redirect the sounds toward the pianist.

I am trying to find it but it’s a lot of searching.

That might help a lil bit with sound.

D
D
I'm thinking of upgrading to the FP90x coming from an FP10 with the PHA-4 standard. Do you guys think the upgrade is going to be significant if I'm after the action? I tried the PHA50 on the Roland GP in a store after hearing so many good things about it and honestly I wasn't blown away with it but I've only been playing for about a year so I'm not an expert. It did feel abit easier and pleasant to play but I didn't really have that immediate OMG this is so much better impression so I wasn't sure if paying about 4 times more was worth it. I'm assuming the PHA50 on the GP will be the same as the FP90x?

Not really interested in other sounds so the piano samples are all I care about. Mostly interested in classical pieces.

J
J
One thing I find is the reverb settings don't give the effect I am used to on the old KR-7.

Which piano sound do most people think is the best one for easy classical pieces?

Does anyone know a good dust cover? The most popular one on Amazon has many bad reviews because it leaves a lot of tiny black fibers on the keyboard.

E
E
The KR-7 has larger speakers and differently mounted, I don't think you'll ever get the same punch out of those in the FP-90x. They're really not comparable pianos.

I like the mellow variants, but that's me. And I'm not a pianist.

I haven't found a cover to my liking yet, but if you like black then https://www.ebay.de/itm/143865277018 or https://viktoryshop.com/product/roland-fp-90-88-keyboard-cover-by-viktory/ may have something for you (I haven't purchased either).

J
J
Thanks.

Oh, does anyone know why the FP-90X doesn't work with Piano Partner 2? It says FP-90 is compatible so why not the x version?

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Thanks.

Oh, does anyone know why the FP-90X doesn't work with Piano Partner 2? It says FP-90 is compatible so why not the x version?

I think it works with another app which seems to be a PP2 upgrade.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Folks/Owners - is there an audio loop back feature on the FP-90/FP-90X, that allows audio from the computer (running a VST) to be played back on the FP-90/FP-90X's speakers?

G. K. Chesterton
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Folks/Owners - is there an audio loop back feature on the FP-90/FP-90X, that allows audio from the computer (running a VST) to be played back on the FP-90/FP-90X's speakers?

Yes, it has line input, and you must disable "local control".

Mind the speakers are some distance from perfection - the FP90 internal engine sounds much better with Sennheiser over-ear headphones.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The fp90x has usb audio input so you simply select the fp90x as your audio output device from your computer.

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_

Mind the speakers are some distance from perfection - the FP90 internal engine sounds much better with Sennheiser over-ear headphones.

I understand the line in function, but I was looking for what Purdy is saying:

The fp90x has usb audio input so you simply select the fp90x as your audio output device from your computer.

Thanks Purdy.
One question though, do I have to change some settings. Like for example, the P515 requires a setting to be turned 'On' for the loop back to work:

[Linked Image]

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
No but you would want to turn local control off and as I recall there is a setting for the usb audio volume

Last edited by Purdy; 05/12/21 11:15 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by _sem_

I understand the line in function, but I was looking for what Purdy is saying:

Thanks Purdy.
One question though, do I have to change some settings. Like for example, the P515 requires a setting to be turned 'On' for the loop back to work:

[Linked Image]

I just read this again and the part you are referencing in the Yamaha manual impacts recording from the piano.

I don’t know if there is similar control.

If you are just trying to play a vst through the usb audio, it would seem either piano will work out of the box.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
E
This Yamaha feature seems to be to send the audio input to the output. I imagine you may have a CD player plugged into the input, then you play along with it, and the combined audio is sent to a computer, as opposed to sending only the piano's audio.

But I think OP was simply asking to send MIDI from the piano to the computer, have a VST produce the audio, and hear the audio in the piano instead of the piano sound?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by entonio
This Yamaha feature seems to be to send the audio input to the output. I imagine you may have a CD player plugged into the input, then you play along with it, and the combined audio is sent to a computer, as opposed to sending only the piano's audio.

But I think OP was simply asking to send MIDI from the piano to the computer, have a VST produce the audio, and hear the audio in the piano instead of the piano sound?

I believe you are correct. I have a Yamaha keyboard with that same loop back and I never use it.

And I do not have to do anything special to enable audio playback via usb from a computer using a vst.

Same on my Roland.

With something like Korg module running on an iPad connected via usb you just plug it in and it works.

With either the Roland or Yamaha.

Of course as already mentioned, you probably want to turn local to off so you hear only the sound from the computer.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Some Roland propaganda videos

FP-90x, PX-330
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Some Roland propaganda videos

Da, comrade!!! laugh

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
B
B
Just out of curiosity: does anybody know of a location where users share self customized Piano Designer settings?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmmmm..... I can't think of any. RolandClan.com also doesn't have a section for the FP- series. At least here we have an owners thread.

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Speaking of specialized settings.

In the Roland piano designer app there are some special tunings for the gp609. It would be interesting to know what was done and if that would crossover to other dps.

It seems there is a lot of customization that could be done on a per note basis. I don’t recall color or loudness per key being used at all in the default piano.

On another front, I was showing the sympathetic resonance to my son, holding down one key and playing others to make it ring.

You could even get a slight bit of sympathetic resonance out of a C key with A.

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK.
Now that this model has been out for about a month or so:

What advice would the FP-90X owners, who have upgraded from FP-90, give to current FP-90 owners? Do you like the PureAcoustic sound engine so much that you would recommend current FP-90 owners to upgrade? What other improvements do you see with theX?

---
Full disclosure: I am a current FP-90 owner who shamelessly invited myself to the 90X owners club laugh

G. K. Chesterton
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

---
Full disclosure: I am a current FP-90 owner who shamelessly invited myself to the 90X owners club laugh

So, Mr. @mmathew, exactly how many pianos/controllers have you hoarded by now 😉?

From the top of my head, I'm counting a P515, VPC1, N1X, and now... an FP-90 as well?

In this respect, you might resemble my brother, who also has a little "treasure vault" containing his history of 30+ years of musical, stage and production equipment and accessories 😋.

Cheers and happy curating,

HZ

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
You’ve violated clearly stated company protocol, mmathew!

Whilst you may think “what’s the big deal; other than “X” these instruments are basically identical,” and common sense would dictate you are correct in this observation, we simply cannot allow a ‘self invitation’ without prior authorization!

If you’d taken the time to review our policies, protocols, and regulations, this situation could’ve been avoided by simply filling out a “Petition to Transition” form, and submitting it to me for review and -perhaps- subsequent approval to transition from non-X to X!

I hereby declare you in contempt of this court, and for this blatant disregard of the law, I shall give thee one more Bannon!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

---

So, Mr. @mmathew, exactly how many pianos/controllers have you hoarded by now 😉?

From the top of my head, I'm counting a P515, VPC1, N1X, and now... an FP-90 as well?

In this respect, you might resemble my brother, who also has a little "treasure vault" containing his history of 30+ years of musical, stage and production equipment and accessories 😋.

Cheers and happy curating,

HZ

Well, maybe we should take this to the "do you have more than one keyboard thread?" but in summary, I have always had one/two slabs on the side in addition to a permanent/semi-permanent one blush

Currently:
Permanent/Semi-Permanent: N1X
Slabs on the side: RD-2000, FP-90

I have access to some good piano stores and made friends with them, and they help me trade and sell on consignment. I am a hoarder, experimenter, seeker, explorer.

G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
You’ve violated clearly stated company protocol, mmathew!

Whilst you may think “what’s the big deal; other than “X” these instruments are basically identical,” and common sense would dictate you are correct in this observation, we simply cannot allow a ‘self invitation’ without prior authorization!

If you’d taken the time to review our policies, protocols, and regulations, this situation could’ve been avoided by simply filling out a “Petition to Transition” form, and submitting it to me for review and -perhaps- subsequent approval to transition from non-X to X!

I hereby declare you in contempt of this court, and for this blatant disregard of the law, I shall give thee one more Bannon!

I'll remember that @Pete laugh In my view, Roland is offering the same PHA-50 action in two DPs with different sound engines. They have not dropped the price of the FP-90. Everything else is the same (from the specs).

The PureAcoustic Modeling does have some good reviews on YouTube, but unfortunately the comparisons don't seem to go into enough detail - that's why I am asking owners who have upgraded.

G. K. Chesterton
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I am a hoarder, experimenter, seeker, explorer.

Let's shake hands on that 🙂.

Cheers and happy learning,

HZ

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I broke down and bought the rpu-3.

To be honest I did not know how sostenuto worked as it didn’t function on the piano I grew up playing.

I can confirm that all pedals can be proportional so if you set the left pedal to bend down and right to bend up you have some control of the frequency.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Purdy; 05/21/21 05:40 PM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I made a discovery today. All the presets in piano designer, even those supposedly for other pianos work with the fp-90x

For example the lx-17 concert piano tuning bY Hugo Veryzer.

It is worth an exploration.

FP-90x, PX-330
You can try these 2 piano designer custom setup files for PureAcoustic engine. I find they are a better starting point than the default setup.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/what-is-roland-pure-acoustic-modelling-technology

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
You can try these 2 piano designer custom setup files for PureAcoustic engine. I find they are a better starting point than the default setup.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/what-is-roland-pure-acoustic-modelling-technology

Unfortunately you can't use these files directly in the FP-90x as there is no provision to load these setup files via a USB drive.

I can view them directly in a text editor and could copy the settings. It does appear that the file formats for a saved setup via the piano designer app and these files are different.

Thanks for sharing.

FP-90x, PX-330
B
B
Does anybody know if there is some option to create custom velocity curves like in for example in Poanoteq?
I know that the touch sensitivity can be changed from "off" to "100" but I couldn't find a setting for the velocity curve.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brennbaer
Does anybody know if there is some option to create custom velocity curves like in for example in Poanoteq?
I know that the touch sensitivity can be changed from "off" to "100" but I couldn't find a setting for the velocity curve.

I don't know if this is a feature of any Digital Piano @brennbaer - only controllers, and/or software VSTs can do this. Maybe it's possible in a very round about, i.e., changing the volume levels of each note but even this does not replace the velocity curve.

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

I believe the velocity setting is a series of velocity curves.

I stole this from another post about a Kawai keyboard but I would guess this is pretty common in how digital pianos treat the velocity setting.

But if you want something really fancy like an s curve, no you can’t do that on the FP-90x

My take on it after playing with fancy curves with VSTs is that is that it is nice to have a lot of adjustment but a continuous curving arc is adequate for my needs.

[Linked Image][/quote]

Last edited by Purdy; 05/23/21 11:28 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
P
One question, do we still have the Bluetooth page-turn-with-pedal function in fp-90x? I cannot locate this function in the menu anymore (compared to previous fp-60)..

Piano beginner at 50yrs old
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by potatoooFR
One question, do we still have the Bluetooth page-turn-with-pedal function in fp-90x? I cannot locate this function in the menu anymore (compared to previous fp-60)..

Looks to be gone?

The Roland piano everyday app supports page turning. I suppose apps that allow midi control of page turning will work.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
if anyone is interested I did use some software to create a smooth stretch tuning. I'm not sure it makes much difference but I thought I would share.

You can download the tuned.psf file from here and put it into the piano designer folder on your appropriate device. It should show up as a preset in piano designer.

smooth stretch tune

it looks like this in piano designer

[Linked Image]

this is the default FP-90x stretch tuning

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A nice review of the FP-90x

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So an interesting result today.

If you uses the piano designer app and save a configuration to your library, it also saves the piano type.

So for instance you do a custom tuning of the concert grand piano 1, save it to the library, select the stage mellow, go to the library and click on that saved configuration, the stage mellow becomes, the concert grand.

so you could save that to piano and next time you power up the stage mellow would be, the concert grand

it also means that each piano is tuned separately and if you want to apply a custom tuning to multiple pianos, you will have work around this or you will end up changing the piano type.

Here you can see the file that is saved in the library and the piano type is the cabinet, with 18 pianos on the FP-90X

the piano designer app doesn't actually let you select the piano type as far as I can tell, so I view this "feature" as a bug.

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let me see if I understand this correctly:
if I don't use the app, the piano designer and piano selection are essentially "disconnected", meaning you can design/tune as you wish and apply the same to multiple piano selections. But on the app, a piano design is saved along with the piano selection.

I used the app mainly to select pre-configured presets so I haven't used the library feature at all, but I think I will like the feature where the piano selection is also saved with the design. Essentially it is a snapshot of your piano selection + settings at one point in time, and this feature allows me to recall that.

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
If you don’t use the app and use the piano designer app, it only applies to the currently selected piano.

After you make the change it asks you if you want to save the change.

There is no quick globally edit all pianos.

The pre configured presets are in the library. If you use those it is only temporary until you hit store to piano.

Those presets contain the piano type.

So for instance if you select stage grand on the keyboard and use a concert grand preset in the library it changes the stage grand to a concert grand.

The name displayed on the piano won’t change.

So you have 8 individually configurable pianos. They can be tuned differently and you could for instance make the default powered on piano a concert mellow.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Another review comparison with the FP-60x

FP-90x, PX-330
W
W
Has anyone who owns the fp90x- owned the fp90 too.

R
R
I have had my FP-90X for couple of weeks and an FP-90 for 3 years approx. They are in separate residences and we are in lockdown so I cannot do a direct comparison. I think the 90x is an improvement. I like the My Stage button and enjoy the Jazz Piano preset. I mostly just practice on the default Concert Grand. Due to where the pianos are, I use headphones with the FP-90 and can use the speakers on the 90x. The speakers are fine at about half volume.

The piano tone on the 90 is very pure and took me a week or two for my ears to adjust and accept it as piano. The 90x is more realistic and I liked it straight away (with the ears already trained to the 90). The demo songs at half volume play at acoustic grand levels and sound awesome.

The action is solid on both. Build quality is excellent on both.

I expect I will never have them in the same room but I might bring the headphones I normally use with the 90 to try with the 90x and compare. I am a bit disappointed there is no headphone optimisation setting or options in either piano, otherwise very happy.

Phil
Roland FP-90 ,Kawai KX-10, Pianoteq 5.0
Roland FP-90x
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am a bit disappointed there is no headphone optimisation setting or options in either piano

The way I understand it from the manual that the headphone jack is optimized for headphone output.

When using headphones, the FP-60X lets you apply a headphone 3D ambience effect. The FP-90X features headphone acoustic projection technology that lets you experience a more three-dimensional sound field.

FP-90x, PX-330
R
R
Thanks Purdy,

It was nitpicking on my part. The headphone output seems to add a small amount of ambience (reverb) and sounds fine as is. The fact that it has both size headphone sockets is a really nice feature.

Phil
Roland FP-90x
S
S
I'm hoping some owners can chime in and help me or tell me if there is something wrong with my unit.

I just got my Fp90X this week and I absolutely hate the way it's sounding.

One of my biggest issues is this obnoxious ringing when using the pedal that makes me want to rip my ears out. It is most noticable in the mid range and playing semitones. I have tried piano designer.. turned everything to the lowest settings and can't get it to even be affected. Is this normal? Is there a setting I can change?

Also, problem B. Some of my black keys are significantly louder to the point where when I play Amaj in the midrange all I hear is the C#. I can turn the volume down on C# about 70% and it fixes it mostly. However, it only happens when I am playing through speakers. If I use headphones I need to turn my c# back up to normal. (It's a few more keys than just that c# but it is definitely the most noticable)

I am planning on shipping it back out for return Monday which is really upsetting so I hope someone has an answer. I loved my FP30 and love the FP90 outside of the sound issues even more..

Here is a video link of my "ringing issue" for anyone that may be interested. It doesn't produce as ear piercing of a noise as in person but it is still appearant in the video

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmUlBpaJyufMpR_YsvKDwsIfr2xu

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sporadic; 07/22/21 11:55 PM.
R
R
Hi Sporadic,

Sounds like normal sympathetic resonance with the treble equaliser on max. You could try a factory reset in case some settings are messed up. I played with registration and then had to do a factory reset.

The loudspeaker issues sound like a more serious problem. Does the 3 band equaliser have any affect on the problem? Try the piano in a different spot in case there are standing waves amplifying some notes.

Phil
Roland FP-90x
R
R
I forgot I also did a firmware update to v1.03 as soon as I got the piano. Might help.

UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.1.03 ] APR 2021
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
Ambience does not work properly in Ver.1.02.

Phil
Roland FP-90x
B
B
You might try to lower the sympathetic resonance settings in Piano Designer.

Also the ringing sound might just be the "disharmonic result" of 5 halftones sounding at the same time which naturally happens when you keep the sustain pedal pressed down

Did you try to play the five adjacent keys simultaneously without pedal?
Should sound disharmonic as well (minus the sympathetic resonance of course)

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
That is how stringed instruments sound.

If turning down the full scale string resonance, duplex scale, and ambience doesn’t help then you should return it

Personally I think the sympathetic resonance from the undamped upper keys is a bit overdone.

And there is no separate setting for damper resonance or for those upper keys. Which I believe some kawai models have.

Also the equalizer might help a bit turning down the high end. By default I believe the eq high is at 4K I’ve lowered that

If you do return it be sure and send some feedback to Roland.

FP-90x, PX-330
S
S
Originally Posted by RoseGrower
Hi Sporadic,

Sounds like normal sympathetic resonance with the treble equaliser on max. You could try a factory reset in case some settings are messed up. I played with registration and then had to do a factory reset.

The loudspeaker issues sound like a more serious problem. Does the 3 band equaliser have any affect on the problem? Try the piano in a different spot in case there are standing waves amplifying some notes.

The equalizer can minimize it but I have to drastically reduce the mids/highs to the point where it ruins more than it fixes.
I did do a factory reset and it didn't seem to help either issue. I also did move the piano to the middle of the room to test the harmonics in the area as well and had the same result. I thought the key issue was a touch response thing but I even shut off touch response so all keys played at max velocity and it was still way louder than the white notes. I am going to plug in my studio monitors this weekend and see if its an issue with the output as well or just something related to the internal speakers and that frequency,

I should at least try the firmware update and see if it helps anything for me. Thank you!

You might try to lower the sympathetic resonance settings in Piano Designer.

Also the ringing sound might just be the "disharmonic result" of 5 halftones sounding at the same time which naturally happens when you keep the sustain pedal pressed down

Did you try to play the five adjacent keys simultaneously without pedal?
Should sound disharmonic as well (minus the sympathetic resonance of course)

I did turn the sympathetic resonance all the way down and it didn't help. I was actually surprised that tweaking everything to an extreme low in the piano designer did not have much of an effect on the overall sound of the piano (outside of a couple of the settings)
Also, I only played the 5 adjacent keys with the pedal in that video to kind of make sure the video reproduced the sound I am hearing. I would almost be ok with it if it did it during that scenario as its very rare you would play semitones in that fashion at all let alone with a pedal. However, I cant even play Maj7th chord melodies with the pedal that have the 7 and 8 notes because it produces the terrible ringing tone. Or something like a Sus 2 chord where there is a half step tone involved.

That is how stringed instruments sound.

If turning down the full scale string resonance, duplex scale, and ambience doesn’t help then you should return it

Personally I think the sympathetic resonance from the undamped upper keys is a bit overdone.

And there is no separate setting for damper resonance or for those upper keys. Which I believe some kawai models have.

Also the equalizer might help a bit turning down the high end. By default I believe the eq high is at 4K I’ve lowered that

If you do return it be sure and send some feedback to Roland.

Thanks for the response, I will try to mess with it a little bit more and see If I can make it tolerable. I think im going to end up trying a Yamaha p515 and the Kawai Es920 although I am worried about both as I hear the Yamaha keys are so heavy you fatigue quickly and the Kawai keys are very light... I think the Roland Keys are perfect so I really would prefer to keep it.
I am not sure if I am just mad about the ringing or not but every time I play it I hate piano sounds more and more.
I really feel like the distinction between the chords is not good. When I go back to the Fp30x and I can hear the difference between two chords much more drastically. However, even though I wasn't initially in love with 90x key action over the 30... when I go back to the 30 now I realize how much better the key action on the 90 is.

Last edited by Sporadic; 07/23/21 09:47 AM.
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I for one don’t think a piano should be just tolerable. You should really enjoy it.

Have you tried the upright piano? It is not a pure acoustic modeled piano. Might help you hone in on the problem.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
E
I'm no piano engineer, but my 90x doesn't seem to sound like that video, pedals or not. I'm not sure if the things that stand out to me are the same that stand out to you, but I'd be inclined to say there's something loose on your specific unit. Take this opinion for what it's worth, which isn't much.

T
T
To me it sounds okay, the resonances sound fine. Listening is always very subjective, but for me the C# does not stick out in volume (see fourth note in the waveform as well). I have recorded a comparison with my upright for what it's worth. Don't know if it helps you, but I thought it might be good to have the comparison.

Comparison FP90x vs upright

[Linked Image]

S
S
I for one don’t think a piano should be just tolerable. You should really enjoy it.

Have you tried the upright piano? It is not a pure acoustic modeled piano. Might help you hone in on the problem.

I agree, especially for that kind of money. I seem to be happier when using headphones. I'm wondering if all my complaints are specifically related to the frequency coming from the internal speakers. I haven't spent a lot of time with the upright sound. I did briefly but most of my time is spent with the first couple piano sounds. I will listen to the upright more in depth later and see if it seems the same or better relating to my issues.

Originally Posted by entonio
I'm no piano engineer, but my 90x doesn't seem to sound like that video, pedals or not. I'm not sure if the things that stand out to me are the same that stand out to you, but I'd be inclined to say there's something loose on your specific unit. Take this opinion for what it's worth, which isn't much.

I appreciate the info, even if I do decide to keep the 90X I think I'm going to return this one and have them send me a new one just to confirm it's not a specific issue related to my unit. I have a Yamaha P515 coming this week (I think lol). I will Test it next to that to at least see it I like the Roland more or not before I request a new unit instead of a straight return.

Originally Posted by Thomas B
To me it sounds okay, the resonances sound fine. Listening is always very subjective, but for me the C# does not stick out in volume (see fourth note in the waveform as well). I have recorded a comparison with my upright for what it's worth. Don't know if it helps you, but I thought it might be good to have the comparison.

Comparison FP90x vs upright

[Linked Image]

Thanks alot, I appreciate that. It does sound like the frequency is similar between the two through a microphone. Is the acoustic piano 2nd in that clip? After reading up on this issue, I think part of it is my overall pedal technique needs refining. I believe the FP30 was hiding more of the resonance which allowed me to pump the pedal less.
My C# in the midrange is definitely louder through the Roland speakers but not through headphones at all. I wonder if my DB meter would say the same thing as my ears are hearing.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Or perhaps use a spectrum analyzer. Several free versions to take a look at it.

Again the only thing that I have noticed is the undamped upper string sympathetic resonance. And since some notes have two undamped keys that are multiple octaves away, they have a bit more ring to the.

Example, I believe it is g# to c where you will have two corresponding undamped keys ringing.

If you play Amaj you should get a louder A. I’ve read some various complaints on ringing from the supernatural modeling and pure acoustic modeling snd I wonder if it is this sympathetic resonance from the undamped keys.

However, I really notice this more on headphones or if it is really quiet on speakers. The speakers tend to hid some of these things in my opinion.

So things like damper noise don’t really bother me using the speakers but is very noticeable to me on earphones.

And it is nothing I really have paid too much attention to on acoustic pianos but they are generally noisier beasts to me anyway.

And one thing I’ve done is actually tune my FP90x snd one thing is discovered is that while the stretch tuning curve has a bit of randomness to it, the base piano sound tuning does too. It is entirely possible there is some built in loudness variation between keys.

Did you ever try playing through the line outs or recording internally and playing back?

That might help determine if there is an issue with the speakers.

FP-90x, PX-330
S
S
Or perhaps use a spectrum analyzer. Several free versions to take a look at it.

Again the only thing that I have noticed is the undamped upper string sympathetic resonance. And since some notes have two undamped keys that are multiple octaves away, they have a bit more ring to the.

Example, I believe it is g# to c where you will have two corresponding undamped keys ringing.

If you play Amaj you should get a louder A. I’ve read some various complaints on ringing from the supernatural modeling and pure acoustic modeling snd I wonder if it is this sympathetic resonance from the undamped keys.

However, I really notice this more on headphones or if it is really quiet on speakers. The speakers tend to hid some of these things in my opinion.

So things like damper noise don’t really bother me using the speakers but is very noticeable to me on earphones.

And it is nothing I really have paid too much attention to on acoustic pianos but they are generally noisier beasts to me anyway.

And one thing I’ve done is actually tune my FP90x snd one thing is discovered is that while the stretch tuning curve has a bit of randomness to it, the base piano sound tuning does too. It is entirely possible there is some built in loudness variation between keys.

Did you ever try playing through the line outs or recording internally and playing back?

That might help determine if there is an issue with the speakers.

I have not tried to play through line outs yet. I keep wanting to plug it into my studio monitors but just havent done it yet.
The spectrum eq sounds like a good idea.

What steps did you take for tuning your 90X?
I actually have come to conclusion other than the damper pedal ringing being slightly extreme IMO my issue is so far only with the onboard speakers.

So what I just did which actually helped significantly...
I set my "touch" to fixed, grabbed my DB meter and set all the notes within about 5DB of each other across the Keyboard and within like 2 DB per octave. Some of the notes within the same octave were as much as 15 DB different through the onboard speakers. I feel this is why I was thinking it sounded out of tune and chord progressions etc just didn't sound right. This even helped some of my ringing complaint issues as I feel the "ringing" was not harmonically correct either due to the significant db difference in some keys. Once I switched my key touch back to normal the difference was significant.

I don't have an acoustic piano but I am curious to the DB difference between each key/octave. Although it is slightly harder to determine as it doesn't have a fixed touch option on an acoustic piano like the digital.

I am much happier with the onboard sound since these adjustments overall. I need to go back through and fine tune the adjustments I feel as the first time I did it was mainly a test so I didn't take the time to aim for perfection.
Also what I haven't checked is if it is similar across all the piano voices or if it was only effective for the grand piano voice.

I used the piano designer app (because it's easier and faster) and am going to save whatever I need into that for custom presets as I'm sure it sounds terrible through headphones with these tweaks. I couldn't find a way to save piano designer presets on board.

A compressor effect may help solve this issue if Roland provided one. Hard to say. I do feel for those who "hate" the Roland sound.. this may change their opinions if they only listened through onboard speakers.
I'm not sure if there is a way i could save my tweaks and share them with people to try but it would be nice if I could to get feedback once I get it perfected.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
That is an interesting result in regards to differing in measured loudness.

From the stretch tuning curves their appears to be to different pianos, stage and concert snd each with four variations, 8 pure acoustic in total.

So I am guessing you will need two different loudness adjustments.

When you save your adjustment preset, it saves it to a file.

On an iOS device you will find it in the piano designer folder. Xxx.psf

You could share that file.

Note, the file contains the piano type. So if you are editing the concert brilliant and save it to a preset, and then apply it, the piano tone will become a concert brilliant.

FP-90x, PX-330
S
S
That is an interesting result in regards to differing in measured loudness.

From the stretch tuning curves their appears to be to different pianos, stage and concert snd each with four variations, 8 pure acoustic in total.

So I am guessing you will need two different loudness adjustments.

When you save your adjustment preset, it saves it to a file.

On an iOS device you will find it in the piano designer folder. Xxx.psf

You could share that file.

Note, the file contains the piano type. So if you are editing the concert brilliant and save it to a preset, and then apply it, the piano tone will become a concert brilliant.

Thanks for the info. I will see if there is a folder in android somewhere with the file. Once I do more testing and get something more precise I'll share a file for those that may be interested in trying it.

A few notes sounding too loud or a bit 'off' through the speakers is likely because of room acoustic effects. So a compressor would not help. Every room has acoustic resonances. Personally I don't enjoy the FP90X onboard speakers, I use monitors and I'm very happy. After playing it for a couple of weeks I went through and did a few small volume and character adjustments to a few notes on both the concert grand and the studio grand. I would expect that if I move the piano to a different room, or even a different location in the same room, I'd have to change those note tweaks again. I'll also note that the build in eq isn't really good enough for fixing these issues because there isn't fine grained enough control for the frequency and q settings for the mid band.

I play a mix of onboard sound and virtual piano. When I play the virtual pianos I use parametric eq on the laptop to dial in the sound for the speakers and room. I really like the built in usb audio interface, where 1 usb connection carries midi and digital audio. When used in this configuration, one of the FP90X volume sliders controls the volume output in the virtual instrument.

Roland FP90X, FP30, Pianoteq, Bechstein Digital, VILabs. Adult beginner. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
V
V
Mark: do you notice significant latency when using VSTs through the fp90x audio interface? Have you tried comparing latency through usb audio interface vs aux audio-in? There were reports in other threads that the fpX0x audio interfaces caused significant latency to make it useless for one cable VSTs... Thanks.

I have no latency problems, I use a macbook. I thought of measuring latency with an oscilloscope, but my simple way of doing so didn't work. On my other DP I'm used to an external audio interface that has a low latency driver. The FP90X audio interface sounds / feels just as good to me.

The FP90X has two ways to bring in external analog audio: line in and mono mic in. (Mic in has a gain control, it works fine with headphone audio out from my macbook.) Both of these audio signals get routed through the digital eq and the mic also has optional compressor and reverb effects. So I am 90% certain that both of these inputs are digitized, processed, mixed, and the converted back to analog for line out or internal speakers. So using analog line in might have _more_ latency than usb digital audio in, because of the additional digital-analog conversions in that signal path.

I'm very happy to take the external audio interface out of the setup, and off the top of my piano. I plug in by usb, I have the virtual instrument output to the FP90X over the usb. I then have the system audio routed to the headphones out. For a lesson over zoom I plug open back headphones into the laptop to hear my teacher but hear the piano through the monitors through the open back headphones. For practice with audio from the laptop, eg Sight Reading Factory with metronome or play along sound, I plug from laptop headphone out to the mic input of the FP90X. Then I have separate volume sliders on the FP90X for laptop sound, piano sound (either local or virtual) and a separate master volume. I find it helps me focus if I can get the mix just so using physical controls.

It would be amazing if the FP90X could assign one or more of its 5 volume sliders as a volume control to the line in or bluetooth in, but I don't think it can. Eg it has a 'song volume' slider I don't use. There are instead volume controls in the menus for those.

Roland FP90X, FP30, Pianoteq, Bechstein Digital, VILabs. Adult beginner. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A few notes sounding too loud or a bit 'off' through the speakers is likely because of room acoustic effects. So a compressor would not help.

He was going to use the piano designer and adjust the per note volume. Not add compression or equalization.

I assume it worked.

I gave it a try but didn’t notice much difference and wasn’t sure I was measuring the proper thing after looking at the wave forms and peak spl reading.

Similar experience with no delay in using the usb audio input. I just kept the local piano on and played the vst over it and judged by ear.

I notice the volume sliders can send midi volume and apps will use that.

Agree the song volume slider could be more useful for adjusting the usb or blue tooth volume in.

FP-90x, PX-330
V
V
Mark: thanks for your information. I really like the convenience of onboard audio interfaces, and your report is very helpful.

V
V
But shouldn't you connect the laptop output to the audio-in and not the mic-in? I know that the line level of a laptop headphone output is probably not as high as that of regular line-outs, but anyway the mic-in impedance is prepared for very low level signals. I would feel safer always connecting to the audio-in connector.

The mic input is convenient because of its dedicated volume slider on the top of the keyboard, and mono is fine for 'tutorial audio' from practice software. The line in would work too. Its volume control on the FP90X is in the menus :-( but of course the laptop has a volume control within easy reach too.

The headphone output from a laptop is designed to drive headphones which are low impedance, and it doubles up as a consumer line level output. A dynamic mic input is high impedance. So in this case all is well as low impedance out to high impedance in is 'correct'. The mic input also has a potentiometer on the back next to the input socket to adjust for different level signals. (I suspect Roland did this for pianists who want to use a battery powered mic which outputs a higher voltage signal vs an unpowered dynamic mic.) I turn the potentiometer all the way down to accommodate the headphones signal level. As the sound comes through with no clipping or distortion I'm content its working correctly and safely.

V
V
Yeah. I was going to also suggest putting the back panel gain button all the way down. Good to know that the mic works well and that it is mapped to a physical volume slider...

I will wait to see what are the successors of the p515 and mp11se, and then decide between one of the three (probably the yamaha, if it comes with the new action of the 745...). Thanks for your comments.

L
L
A couple of questions for you FP-90X lucky owners:

- Does anyone use the FP-90X as a stage piano for giggs? I watched a review where they said that could be a very good alternative instead to carry keyboard (like RD-2000) + a heavy amp. They said the the speakers are really good..

- If you connect the FP-90x to an external audio interface for recording purposes, can you still use the built-in speakers during the recording? If yes, can you control the two different outputs? I mean, do you have a slider to control the audio interface output and a slider to control the speakers output?
I wonder if in this case you could connect even the built-in speakers as output of the audio interface to be able to listen the playback too of your recordings..

- I know about the new function "Stage" and I wonder if they there are any filters for the headphones listening? How is like the FP-90X headphones output in general?

Thanks guys!

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
no gigging but some jamming and have moved it around. speakers are entirely fine for jamming with a group. I've also listened to it while not playing and it seemed plenty loud with a couple of guitars, electronic drums and a bass.

I noticed when we had a drummer outside who is pretty loud that having an external amp helped because everyone turned up their amps.

I am not entirely sure i would enjoy moving this around to gigs. I don't even like moving my 25 lbs casio. And bulk is an issue with any 88 keyboard in my opinion.

For recording, the FP-90x has usb audio in and out so you do not need an external audio interface. And you can play back through the speakers on the piano.

There are three volume output sliders in two section, 2 for the upper and lower section and one master volume.

For the head phones, lineout, and speakers, both sections of volume sliders apply.

For the USB audio out, it is only affected by the upper/lower slider. So you can have full output to the audio interface and adjust the volume you hear at the piano with the master volume slider.

The lineout is not a true lineout at a fixed volume. I guess there is good and bad about that.

There is no headphone ambience or mystage setting for the piano. Apparently headphone optimization is always on for that pair of outputs. The FP-60x does have a setting.

The mystage function is sort of shortcut aka preset to some fixed settings that change multiple settings on the piano. I'm not sure there is a way to customize them.

And it does have 1/4" and 1/8' headphone outputs.

FP-90x, PX-330
Gig: I can hardly play yet ;-) but anyway FP90X is heavy. When you lift it the case flexes easily. Specifically if you lift 1 corner, the side you are lifting rotates upwards, twisting the keyboard. I have no idea if this is problematic over the long term. Is the RD2000 stronger? Stiffer?

There is a manual switch on the back that will turn the internal speakers on and off. So internal speakers is separate from using usb out or line out. Connecting headphones turns off internal speakers, but there is also a menu option for that, so you can have headphones and internal speakers at the same time. Headphone output is nice and clean. I don't know if it does do any special signal processing for the headphones. I think what it does it turn off the processing its doing for internal speakers.

The internal speakers get loud but they color the mids and apply a lot of bass. Yes there is onboard eq to make an adjustment but there is only so much it can do. By default the FP90X applies a lot of processing (just eq?) to sound being sent to the internal speakers. It seems really heavy handed. When you plugin headphones and the speakers turn off you can hear the FP90X adapt by turning off the heavy handed eq it was doing for its speakers. Ie for a fraction of a second you hear in the headphones the signal that is being sent to the speakers and then it changes.

There is a weird combination of settings where you can listen to the speaker signal through headphones. You turn off the physical speaker switch. You plug in headphones. Now you hear the clean piano sound in headphones. Then go to the menu and change the 'auto mute speakers when headphones plugging in' setting so the FP90X thinks it needs to drive internal speakers. Now in the headphones you head the heavily eq sound meant for the speakers. But the speakers are turned off by the switch. This sound does not sound good. It is really boomy and I think highs are boosted too, though I'm not sure quite what they are doing.

I suspect I would like the sound from the internal speakers _more_ if I could turn off whatever processing the FP90X does by default and just apply some eq from the sliders. But I don't think thats possible. (Maybe an experiment is possible to measure the speakers processing using a synth sound going to a laptop frequency analyser and then reverse engineering the eq setting to cancel out what the FP90X is doing?)

The master volume slider controls the level for internal speakers, headphones, and line out. I don't think you can adjust those output levels separately.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The FP-90X features headphone acoustic projection
technology that lets you experience a more three-dimensional sound field.

from the manual page 16. I have no idea if that is true or not but giving roland the benefit of the doubt here.

Forgot about that speaker on off switch on the back.

Interesting find about turning off the speakers and using the headphones. I assume that would allow you to output from the stereo jacks without the acoustic projection stuff enabled if you didn't want to use the line outs.

Its hard to say what is going on with processing for the speakers but there is only so much that will come out of them.

I don't know what processing is on the lineouts, I assume different from the speakers.

And the USB output I believe doesn't apply any equalization from the siders either and maybe the cleanest output.

I have not compared all of the audio output sources.

FP-90x, PX-330
So I experimented...
Keytouch set to fixed so always get same volume for each note. Instrument set to GM2 Sine Lead. Not a pure sign wave, but close enough and easy to see in the live readout in the parametric eq in Mainstage (DAW on mac).
Correction to earlier - now when I take audio from FP90X headphone out and turn off 'auto mute speakers' the keyboard seems to ignore the speaker on/off switch on the back and I get sound from the internal speakers.

So I played up and down keyboard with the synth at constant volume, looking at the signal level at each frequency in the parametric eq live read out. Mostly its boosting bass a ton below 200Hz. I created a setting in my parametric eq that tried to cancel out what the FP90X speaker processing is doing. So big bass cut, but there also seems to be something going on in the mids around 520Hz where initially I was seeing a boost, but now I'm not sure. Unfortunately you can't set q for the bass, and cutting the bass enough to counteract all the boost killed too much around 200Hz. So I used the mid eq to boost 200Hz back up a bit.

I setup the DAW eq to a configuration thats possible to setup in the FP90X eq. Bass EQ 160Hz, Mid EQ 200Hz, Mid Q 2.0, didn't use the high. Then using the FP90X eq by sliding the bass down you can counter act the normal bass boost it does. Slide the mid up about 1/2 as much as you slide the bass down to balance it out the . Then I can see the signal coming out of the FP90X is much flatter. So if you use these settings with internal speakers, you can adjust how much of the 'always on bass boost for internal speakers' is used. Presumably you actually want some of that bass boost because the internal speakers need some of it.

I don't really know if this will be useful to anyone. If you want to mess with the eq its probably better to use the mid eq to try to reduce a room resonance or just adjust to taste. I just did this out of interest. I play with Genelec 8020d monitors.

P
P
I remember I was trying to reduce some boominess around 200-250 Hz in my old FP-80. Around A3 note. I was using mainly internal speakers.
Also one time sound engineer told me that it had some muddy character around this frequency, maybe some boominess too I don't remember correctly. Anyway needed to cut this range a bit. Maybe just the typical issue of Roland sound.

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP, Korg SV-2 73, Hammond XK-1c
L
L
@Purdy @Mark thanks for sharing your experiences ! I will have a look to the manual.. although the fp90x has a good internal audio interface I would use my 2i2.. recording/filing through the iPad is very handy…

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
@Purdy @Mark thanks for sharing your experiences ! I will have a look to the manual.. although the fp90x has a good internal audio interface I would use my 2i2.. recording/filing through the iPad is very handy…

I use my ipad pro with the FP-90X for recording and playing through USB. The FP-90x is essentially a 2i2 audio interface. Only one cable and you don't power the audio interface.

And no converting to analog and back to digital in the keyboard.

Added bonus virtual instruments become a one cable solution as USB and audio are carried on the USB cable.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So I experimented...
Keytouch set to fixed so always get same volume for each note. Instrument set to GM2 Sine Lead. Not a pure sign wave, but close enough and easy to see in the live readout in the parametric eq in Mainstage (DAW on mac).
Correction to earlier - now when I take audio from FP90X headphone out and turn off 'auto mute speakers' the keyboard seems to ignore the speaker on/off switch on the back and I get sound from the internal speakers.

I found no difference in the headphones with the speaker switch on or off.

I did a crude sweep using a GM bell sound, as close to a sine wave as I could find.

I also ran the grand piano through.

again with fixed velocity

Both through the usb interface and through the speakers.

I see a dip in the 1.8K region. I don't see a particularly boomy bass. My ears and gut would agree with that assessment.

I wonder if there is a difference from the rooms? I only used the really precise mic from the ipad so I don't really have a reference to go by.

I do see some keys in the piano that could probably gain from some loudness adjustment and this is in the USB data too.

so I gave it a whack to equalize out the keys. The problem is everything by default is set to the maximum value and if you have keys that are low, you can't bring them up so I started by moving things down.

I don't notice a real difference but it did tame down a group around A6 that was sort of problematic. I now have a tuned and somewhat regulated piano.

FP-90x, PX-330

I hear a difference in headphones when I switch the menu setting '36. Speaker Auto Mute'.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MarkOfJohnson

I hear a difference in headphones when I switch the menu setting '36. Speaker Auto Mute'.

I can’t confirm or deny that. There is so much leakage in noise from the speakers that I can’t tell. I tried to have the piano play and step around the corner. I’m almost sure there is no difference.

I did find out that the speaker off switch on the back does not work when the auto mute is set to off.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L

I use my ipad pro with the FP-90X for recording and playing through USB. The FP-90x is essentially a 2i2 audio interface. Only one cable and you don't power the audio interface.

And no converting to analog and back to digital in the keyboard.

Added bonus virtual instruments become a one cable solution as USB and audio are carried on the USB cable.

Sorry Purdy, How do you record audio with your FP-90X + iPad through USB exactly? Is there a specific Roland app for that? I watched some videos where they record audio just using the built-in recording system, that's in order to use the internal audio interface of the FP-90X.. I think is the only metod take advantage of the internal audio interface of the DP properly..

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The fp-90x has class compliant usb midi and audio.

Any app that records or plays audio, can be used directly.

There is no special app required. It is built into the operating system. It is the same for windows 10 and macOS.

Garage band, or any digital audio workstation software. I think even the internal video camera.

How do you record now on the iPad with the 2i2? Because you can use that same software with the fp-90x.

It is that simple.

It also has Bluetooth audio and midi. Again any app that plays audio can play and any app that supports Bluetooth midi can use and I think even those that don’t can with something like midi wrench.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
I got you maybe, you mean that your FP-90X can works as an audio interface connect to a PC.. and so sending the data of your recording into your software.. that's great, but I know that with a dedicate audio interface (like the 2i2) you get a better quality..

Currently, I connect my DP to the 2i2 as input and the 2i2 connected to my iPad or PC through USB.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yes, the fp-90x can act as an audio interface for a pc or an iPad, or even an iPhone, or android device.

Probably Linux too.

I doubt the quality will be better with a dedicated audio interface because you will be converting digital to analog on the keyboard sending the analog to the 2i2 and then converting it back to digital.

The conversion to and from analog will add noise and you will have less quality than if the keyboard sends you the digital directly and you avoid going analog.

You can connect the fp-90x directly to an iPad or pc with usb and it will be just like your 2i2.

True you won’t see an option 192,000 samples per second at 32 bits but that is overkill for the source data.

But you should try it out and see for yourself.

But the bottom line is you do not need a dedicated audio interface for recording or playing to the fp-90x or any of the new Roland fp-x keyboards.

Because they behave as audio interfaces. I have a motu audio interface which I don’t ever use with the fp-90x

The newish Yamaha keyboards are the same.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
That sounds great, Purdy. Hopefully they will put the same feature in the next gen of stage piano… but I wonder if you can just plug through USB your dp to an iPad/Pc and record audio or you have to set the recording from your dp before in onder to send the audio signal to the Daw? Like “press the trigger record through USB“

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
As soon as you plug in the iPad into the USB port the audio is being sent out, there are no actions you need to take on the keyboard.

You might have to setup your app on the iPad but I have numerous apps that I just plug in and they start working with the keyboard. No action required on either end.

It is exactly like an audio interface.

I can for instance, just plug in neo soul keys or Korg module which are virtual instrument packages and they just start working accepting midi and returning audio over usb to the keyboard.

Blue tooth midi is a bit different. That seems to require a little more effort on the app side.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
That's great! I didn't know about the USB audio function, I have always confused that with DP recording to external USB as storage. But for istance don't you need to install any drivers to set the recording setting (like what happen with an audio interface where you can set the sampling rate etc.)? Once you open Garageband or Ableton, you will file in the Preferences like Interfce>Host the Roland... already set? Or as soon you connect your DP to the Pc, will you find Roland Audio Interface set in the audio settings?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Little bit out of scope , but... I own an ES920 and had a FP90 in the past. I do like the internal SK grand piano of the ES920 and the speakers are actually quite good and sound round and have some warmth to them, despite being single speakers (not two way as in the FP90x) and having less wattage power and a single amp. However, for a second location I am torn between yet another ES, or a FP90x and I wonder how you all rate the speaker sound with both the internal Roland piano engine (I could never get a warm full sound on the FP90) and especially with audio plugins as well - meaning routing audio from an iPad or laptop over the internal speakers. I know this works flawless because of the class compliancy. But how does a plug-in like pianoteq or Ivory or whatever sound over the Roland speakers. Is it actually a more full and warmer sound ; or are the speakers themselves a bit harsh and analytic in comparison to the ES for example. Any FP90x owner an answer to that; there is no FP90x to be found here to try for myself unfortunately.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Once you open Garageband or Ableton, you will file in the Preferences like Interfce>Host the Roland... already set?

How does your Scarlett 2i2 behave? There is your answer.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
or are the speakers themselves a bit harsh and analytic in comparison to the ES for example. Any FP90x owner an answer to that; there is no FP90x to be found here to try for myself unfortunately.

I dont think there is a really big change between the fp90x and the fp90 in terms of the speakers.

But I have not played a fp90

Virtual instruments give you more options for equalization and other affects so that might help.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
You need to install specific drivers in order to work with the Scarlett 2i2. Then you get a kind of App on your device where you can handle the general recording settings once the Scarlett is connected to your PC. After that, If you are using Garageband for iPad, it just recognize your audio interface but you can't edit any settings with it. If you are using a different DAW from the PC you need to set the audio interface in the software.. So, will be the same with the FP-90X (?)

If like me, you want a flat frequency response from speakers because you find resonances and tonal changes off-putting, then no the FP90X internal speakers are not good. Now, this is true of all internal speakers of all portable DPs, and also true of most console DPs? So are the speakers good given that its a portable? I leave that for others to answer.

FP90X has onboard 3 band eq and you can customize the frequency band of each slider, and for the mid slider you can even set the q (how broad or narrow a range of frequencies it changes). This is great to customize the overall tonal characteristics of the sounds so you can increase warmth, cut harshness, etc. But its not very good for dealing with annoying resonances in the speakers or room. Specifically the mid slider can be set to: 200Hz, 250, 315, 300, 500, 630, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000. 2500, 3150, 4000, 5000, 6300, 8000. I would have found it much more useful if all 3 of the eq sliders let you set the frequency to any specific frequency, rather than those predetermined steps. Right now I have a resonance at D3. So I'd like to set the frequency to 147Hz, set the q high (so the eq adjusts a narrow band of frequency) and use the slider to reduce just that resonance. But the closest I can get is 200Hz and set the q low. But then then eq isn't targeting a narrow band. Instead I play with monitors.

Also, if you are using the modeled / main piano sounds you can go into piano designer and adjust the volume and character of individual notes. This is quite effective at dealing with resonances. A speaker resonance will make the note(s) at that resonance loud and distracting, so you can use the per note volume to deal with that. A resonance will also change the harmonic balance / timbre of notes lower than the resonance, as the resonance will amplify a higher harmonic in the note. However, such effects are (to me) much less prominent than per note loudness. If there is an amplified harmonic that is messing up a particular note you can try the per note character adjustment. I'm not sure if this does a per note eq or a per note harmonic balance adjustment, but it for sure changes the sound of the note. The change it makes sounds very similar to when you go through the 'soundboard' customization in piano designer.

If you are using an external virtual piano, or even if you route your internal sound out to a laptop or ipad, you can use parametric eq there and really dial to address resonances you have and make the internal speakers quite nice. So if you want to play a vst through the internal speakers just use an eq you can setup in either your DAW or in the effect stack in the virtual instrument.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks for all the info. So..knowing all that - do you find the sound in the end through the onboard Roland speakers satisfying ; do they produce a sort of full , warm and transparent piano sound after some tweaking , or do they remain a lit underwhelming in that respect , even with a good VST. With the internal Roland piano , the result is a bit thin and harsh at some times, but that is probably due to the engine and character of the typical Roland Piano sound, so it's hard to predict how another piano engine would sound over the same speakers without having the setup in front of you (which is not possible over here).

Originally Posted by JFP
Thanks for all the info. So..knowing all that - do you find the sound in the end through the onboard Roland speakers satisfying ;

If you like ES920, stick with it, especially if you like the Kawai samples? If my main playing situation was internal sounds with internal speakers, I would not be happy with the FP90X.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
After that, If you are using Garageband for iPad, it just recognize your audio interface but you can't edit any settings with it. If you are using a different DAW from the PC you need to set the audio interface in the software

Yes but you don’t need a driver for the pc. It is built into the operating system.

FP-90x, PX-330
So I noticed that a few of the FP90X's physical controls send midi. Specifically the two Part Lower / Upper volume sliders send midi, and also the + - buttons. So if you are playing virtual instruments those 4 physical controls could be mapped to controls in the VI or DAW. Eg you could put velocity curve adjustment on the physical slider if it makes it easier to dial in. Or map the sliders to 2 channels in your daw for mixing.

V
V
Hi Mark: very interesting information. The sliders send CC type of messages, correct? Which Cc#? And the buttons send incremental CC or Program Change messages?

J
J
Ok, please help….

I bought the 90x a few months ago and have barely played it because it sounded rubbish. I kept meaning to go back to it and tweak the settings until I got a piano sound that I am happy with but no matter what I try it never sounds great. I have more fun playing on my two keyboards (Roland GO Keys and Casio CTX-5000) than on the much more expensive 90x. frown

The main problem is that pretty much everything below middle c sounds muddy as if the piano is under water. With headphones it’s much better so I’m hoping it’s just that the internal speakers are rubbish? Also, I recorded a few things to the usb stick and when I play those back on a computer or iPad etc. they sound fine.

So before I give up and try to sell it can anyone tell me if it sounds better with some decent external speakers?

If so, please give me amazon links to the speakers you use and a link for which cables I need to buy. I don’t want to pay a fortune on speakers so am looking for some reasonably priced ones, preferably without needing a separate amplifier too.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

For me it’s night and day with external speakers. I use Genelec 8020D. Look back up in this thread, I’ve given some info on some ways you can use EQ to improve the speakers.

I’m very happy with FP90X. I wanted a console DP and went with FP90X, homemade console, external speakers. Cheaper than the console dps I was looking at, and better speakers too. Great action, built in audio interface appreciated.

B
B
pretty much everything below middle c sounds muddy as if the piano is under water
hmmm....
i can't confirm that.
yes, the speakers can indeed produce some decent bass but they don't sound muddy at all.
at least not in my FP-90X
maybe there is something wrong with your piano?

J
J
Maybe but others have said the same thing on here so I am not so sure. All I know is when I put the headphones on the difference is huge and I enjoy playing.

In fact after having another go last night I’d say it’s a certain area rather than everything below middle c. It’s more like the ten notes or so to the left of middle c. The lower notes after that sound ok. I’ve done factory reset so it’s not that anything has been messed with.

Maybe I need to use piano designer and change those individual keys? If I do that and find a setting that works for me can I save it so it’s there when I switch it back on?

I still feel like some good external speakers might solve the issue.

B
B
Very unlikely that this will solve the problem but have to tried to put the piano to another place?
Mabybe there are some acoustic issues at its actual location..

J
J
I’ve tried pulling it back from the wall but haven’t tried it in the middle of a room yet. Will try that later.

J
J
On another note, can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that use a headphone jack as the Roland Go Keys only has the headphone jack for speaker output?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
On another note, can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that use a headphone jack as the Roland Go Keys only has the headphone jack for speaker output?
Just get the right cable. One example, and this may not be right for your specific situation is here.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I bought the 90x a few months ago and have barely played it because it sounded rubbish. I kept meaning to go back to it and tweak the settings until I got a piano sound that I am happy with but no matter what I try it never sounds great. I have more fun playing on my two keyboards (Roland GO Keys and Casio CTX-5000) than on the much more expensive 90x. frown

The main problem is that pretty much everything below middle c sounds muddy as if the piano is under water. With headphones it’s much better so I’m hoping it’s just that the internal speakers are rubbish?

I've also noticed that the built-in speakers in the FP90 don't sound good compared to my old Sennheiser HD545 ref headphones. But a couple of similarly-priced IEMs don't sound great either.
My old hifi bookshelf Monitor Audio speakers with a Marantz amp sound better than the built-in, but not as good as the HD545.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Maybe I need to use piano designer and change those individual keys? If I do that and find a setting that works for me can I save it so it’s there when I switch it back on?

I still feel like some good external speakers might solve the issue.

You can change the volume, tuning, and color of individual keys and save them for when you switch back on,

You might try using equalization. You can set the center frequency of each of the sliders.

You might try turning the hammer noise and key off noise.

Opening the lid, will make things brighter.

The resonances, sympathetic and cabinet as well as the ambience tend to muddy sound and you might turn them down.

Your room can have an impact on your listening. Good suggestion to try different spots.

There are sound ports in the back so having against a wall will influence the sound.

Many people do enjoy external speakers.

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
So, I just tried with some basic Bose computer speakers…..MUCH better!

So now I just need to get a decent pair of active speakers I think, right? 🤔

@Purdy, thanks. I had tried messing about with all of those things before and did have some success but it still just never felt right. Now even with these standard Bose speakers the muffled sounds are gone and the bass notes sound much nicer.

Last edited by James44; 09/08/21 10:01 AM.
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
So, I just tried with some basic Bose computer speakers…..MUCH better!

So now I just need to get a decent pair of active speakers I think, right? 🤔

I'm afraid it is very much a hit-or-miss thing. Best to go to a store that sells both Roland DPs and speakers and let you try them together, if you have any such around, let them earn their 20%-or-so commission. Otherwise, place your bet on some active studio monitors that get enough recommendations, and order from an online store that accepts returns.
Speakers sold as "PA" are generally more optimised for max volume per watt and per kg than for best sound quality, but there is no guarantee that hi-end hifi "studio monitors" are sure to sound better.

J
J
Thanks.

I am looking at the krk Rokit 5 G4 studio monitors…..do I connect the speakers directly to the piano or do I have to use an audio interface? What is the difference? 🤔

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I am looking at the krk Rokit 5 G4 studio monitors…..do I connect the speakers directly to the piano or do I have to use an audio interface? What is the difference? 🤔

You connect active speakers directly with a suitable audio cable (from line-out). An audio interface is used with a computer, to connect to the keyboard audio line-out (perhaps also midi); but the FP90X has one built in so you can connect digital audio to a computer using just a USB cable.

C
C
ROLAND FP90 (Full) tone list
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very happy with my 2 years old ROLAND FP90.
Nevertheless, it surprises me that in the manual there is no a list with all the sounds (there is a list, but some 260 sounds are not included). So, I´ve taken the pain of creating it by myself. It is even more surprising taking into account that some of these sounds are actually quite good and usable.

Pdf Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5CVVKdq9f-DQ1qcXZfwyIeEvEtlzjng/view?usp=sharing

On the other hand, there is neither a list of all the percussion instruments for each note (in the "Drum Sets" tones). So, do you know if there is any generic list or so with this info. It would be good to have this info for knowing a bit better what we are doing (and not going only by ear or previous knowledge).

Many thanks.

C
C
Originally Posted by colicofrenetico
On the other hand, there is neither a list of all the percussion instruments for each note (in the "Drum Sets" tones). So, do you know if there is any generic list or so with this info. It would be good to have this info for knowing a bit better what we are doing (and not going only by ear or previous knowledge).

I think I have answered myself, for this seems to match the GM2 PERCUSSION MAP convention.
http://odasan.s48.xrea.com/dtm/gm2drum.html

W
W

This is a very good point.

Please consider that “bright” does not mandatorily equate with “metallic”.

A S&S model D is “bright” (even when played softly) but it is far from “metallic”. You really need to push it at ffff to elicit some “metallic” sound out of it. It has what I would call a clear, “liquid” sound.

By converse, supernatural engine interpret the “bright” as “metallic”; indeed in this mid-top range instruments a big work has been done to avoid the typical “spike” you hear, for example, in the FA 08 concert piano when transitioning to mf to f or ff… but still the sound personality is “metal” and not “water”.

At least, no trace of “glass”, like for example in pianoteq.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Please consider that “bright” does not mandatorily equate with “metallic”.

Yes but now you get into subjective assessments of sound and words without an objective measure.

And in the end it is a piece of metal that is vibrating in a piano.

FP-90x, PX-330