2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
I need to buy a new Stage Piano, primarily for home usage. I will most of the time use it as a midi-piano, but fore sure also play with the internal sounds sometimes.

I was thinking about the Nord Grand, but was very disappointed when testing it. For me personally, it feels too light weight. I play pop, boogie and a lot of gospel and is know as a "piano-destroyer", I need more weight in keys, more like a grand piano.

Any tips?
I have found Nord Piano 4 pretty cheap, only like 1900 euro. Do you think I would like it?

Yamaha p515 feels too cheap, but I am used to Yamaha. I loved the old CP300, but I think 2500 euro is to much for a 2007 years piano model..

Would love to get some guidance!!

Thanks in advance

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai MP11SE?
Roland RD-2000?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Yamaha CP88 has a pretty solid keybed, definitely on the heavy side. Reasonable choice of acoustic and electric pianos a great harpsichord and a mix of others less usable. Organs not that good. Piano sounds nothing more than average but the keyboard is the strong point.

I bought it after having tested more or less everything and I concur that Nords are light weighted (and expensive)

My 2 c

Enjoy

Originally Posted by Swedishboogie
Yamaha p515 feels too cheap...

The keyboard action feels cheap, or the instrument overall?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Kawai MP11SE?
Roland RD-2000?

By far, in terms of features & functions, quality and value for (a lot of) money - it's really hard to beat these two models.

The RD-2000 might actually be the last stop for stage piano shopping - I don't believe there is anything this stage piano can't do. But oh:
- It does not have a music stand (so what?)
- It takes a VERY steep learning curve to learn how to use this instrument effectively. I mean, even basic functions need a bit of learning
- It's a serious stage AND studio machine
- It has 2 sound expansion capabilities allowing you to use sounds from other Roland instruments, even past models

The MP11SE amazes in key action quality (not that the PHA-50 is inferior). The warm SK-EX sounds are to die for. It's VERY heavy. It's probably the strongest and sturdily built stage piano currently. This also requires quite a bit of learning, although not to the levels of RD.

Those are for starters. You can delve deeper into specifics and both these models will amaze you.

From those starter thinking points, do you have further questions or areas - that will help the experts here to guide you, and have a great discussion!

The P515 is not a stage piano. It CAN be used on stage - doesn't mean it is.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
M
For a "piano destroyer" I think the action of the MP11SE would hold up very nicely. I play classical on mine (some bigger romantic rep) and it's a great action. I also use it as a MIDI controller and it works very well for that.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
MP11SE too much ?

Perhaps the MP7SE.

I had the MP11SE and for various reasons switched to the MP7SE and find very little difference between the two in terms of sound and key actions.

Truth is .... I believe I like the action on the MP7SE a bit better. I found the MP11SE action a bit on the "slow" side.

Nothing scientific .... just my sense.

AND .... let's not forget the difference in price.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I love the Nord Grand! I would also imagine the action of MP7se is going to be identical as the Nord Grand. While I know Nord says they had the Nord Grand action customized I'd have to think Kawai didn't change that much for the action they made for Nord grand. I'm huge Nord fan and for a stage piano I would go with a Nord if you want heavier action the Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and Stage 3 have the fatar action which feels heavier than the Nord Grand.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sebs
I love the Nord Grand! I would also imagine the action of MP7se is going to be identical as the Nord Grand. While I know Nord says they had the Nord Grand action customized I'd have to think Kawai didn't change that much for the action they made for Nord grand.
I think the MP7SE version is graded and the Nord version is not...?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Sebs
I love the Nord Grand! I would also imagine the action of MP7se is going to be identical as the Nord Grand. While I know Nord says they had the Nord Grand action customized I'd have to think Kawai didn't change that much for the action they made for Nord grand.
I think the MP7SE version is graded and the Nord version is not...?

Here are the differences:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-action-as-kawai-rh3-here-the-proof.html

You have participated in the discussion too anotherscott!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I play pop, boogie and a lot of gospel and is know as a "piano-destroyer", I need more weight in keys, more like a grand piano.

Does this mean those styles are known for destroying keyboards or is that your stage name? I'm not being sarcastic I just never knew that or didn't know if you were saying "I'm known as a piano destroyer" which would be pretty cool! haha

If it's the former then wouldn't Nord be a good choice, aren't they known for gigging and being workhorses?

Last edited by Sebs; 04/29/21 09:59 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The Nord Grand would be a very good gigging stage piano but not something I would choose for home use or use in a recording studio where portability is less critical. The Nord Grand's balanced hammer weight action and lack of letoff simulation would render it a less realistic piano simulation than a Kawai MP7SE and even less realistic emulation of a grand action than a Kawai MP11SE.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
OP Offline
S
Both. At the first moment I liked it, but after playing for awhile, it feels more cheap that Nord Grand.

S
OP Offline
S
Haha no, just that I play pretty hard and use lot of the 88 keys when playing..
In my youth I destroyed my first acoustic piano because a lot of "hard practice"
It's a joke, but still, I am not a soft piano player. Fast, hard and a lot of keys played in my style.

S
OP Offline
S
I have found a used kawai es8 priced 600 euro. How about that one? At least til I found something I really like, like a re-release of the CP300..

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have found a used kawai es8 priced 600 euro. How about that one? At least til I found something I really like, like a re-release of the CP300..

I would seriously consider the MP11SE in your case.

I have heard of another hulk handed individual who actually broke a fairly robust plastic action (snapped it clean) during practice (I won't mention the board before you ask, as I like to think that the individual in question was heavy handed). With the MP11SE, you are getting a wooden action with probably the best attempt to replicate an acoustic action in any slab keyboard. It's also weighty, which means you feel more like you're playing on a piano (no vibrations like you get on some light-weight boards).

The RD2000 action is of similar weight to the MP7SE but has a different but quite nice feel. What lets it down is the user interface on the right hand side of the board --- sound selection--- which is just not well thought out (although paradoxically, the left-hand-side of the board is awesome); also, I think you need to be a fiddler (tweeker or sounds) to get anything approaching a decent acoustic piano sound out of it. One needs to invest in a headphone amp, and/or a nice expensive powered amp or other system (hifi) to bring out the benefits of modeled sound and its resonances. There are some users on this forum who have reported positive results after much travail, e.g., Bruce from Philly.

Other boards which have a robust feel include the V-piano (sometimes they go used for a decent price), although you'd now have to play a VST like Pianoteq or Garritan CFX grand to enjoy the most modern quality piano experience.

The Nord Piano 4 isn't as nice as the Nord Grand---I've played both in testing for a good chunk of time.
The CP88 has awful acoustic piano sounds, and a very fast action (somewhat unnaturally fast for a piano). The e-pianos are fairly nice though. Good gigging board, but ultimately would require a VST to sound like a modern digital acoustic piano. Preferred the Nord Grand in all areas to the CP88 tbh (despite the Nord Grand not really feeling like an acoustic to play), as the CP88 was right next to the Nord Grand and the RD2000, I side-by-side tested them.

I have an MP7SE, and to me, it beats all those boards when all attributes are considered in the round (especially for gigging when compared to the MP11SE). The MP11SE having the Grand Feel action would make it more robust for your hulkish digits ;-), and a more suitable home board.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd
MP11SE too much ?

Perhaps the MP7SE.

I had the MP11SE and for various reasons switched to the MP7SE and find very little difference between the two in terms of sound and key actions.

Truth is .... I believe I like the action on the MP7SE a bit better. I found the MP11SE action a bit on the "slow" side.

Nothing scientific .... just my sense.

AND .... let's not forget the difference in price.

IMO, the Grand Feel 1 is slower than the RHIII action. I think the new Grand Feel III action might have rectified this but if you're talking about other aspects of an acoustic action, I think the Grand Feel 1 is better than the RHIII. The thing is, if I were playing Prelude/Angry Young Man every night in the pubs and bars, I'd go for the CP4 or CP88, as they have a much faster feel than most other decent digital slabs (I'd just use a VST to play at home with). From what the OP is describing, I doubt the CP4/CP88/MP7SE/ES8 etc would stand the pounding.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

PM sent.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.

I would seriously consider the MP11SE in your case.

I have heard of another hulk handed individual who actually broke a fairly robust plastic action (snapped it clean) during practice (I won't mention the board before you ask, as I like to think that the individual in question was heavy handed). With the MP11SE, you are getting a wooden action with probably the best attempt to replicate an acoustic action in any slab keyboard. It's also weighty, which means you feel more like you're playing on a piano (no vibrations like you get on some light-weight boards).

I tend to agree.

If you are going to "beat" on it, the MP11SE would probably be able to handle it better than most.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
You might want to check the Korg models as well, including the B1 and D1 stage pianos. There are reviews and comments on them here and there.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission