2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (CaseyVancouver, brdwyguy, Burkey, c++, 36251, BlakeOR, Alex McG, Bett, 11 invisible), 1,021 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

From my experience with the Roland FP-10, I'd have a hard time believing that the FP-30X maxes out its velocity value range below 127.

I always use the default (middle/linear) touch sensitivity setting on the FP-10 and can produce all note-on velocity values 1--127. Of course you have to rather pound the keys to reach the highest range, but I'd figure this neatly corresponds to acoustic instrument behavior. So I'm totally happy with the way it is.

So @zenof, unless Roland made a weird, to me implausible software change in the FP-30X, its MIDI behavior should be quite good. Could it be that the touch setting on the unit you played was set at 'heavy' without you knowing that?

Now the P45 by Yamaha really is limited in its MIDI range and capabilities. Also, the Casio CDP-S100 that I tested last year suffers (somewhat but less pronounced) from a more limited behavior as @Gombessa suspects some cheaper digital pianos do.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

Z
Z
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,
So @zenof, unless Roland made a weird, to me implausible software change in the FP-30X, its MIDI behavior should be quite good. Could it be that the touch setting on the unit you played was set at 'heavy' without you knowing that?

Hmm, actually that's how I noticed that it caps out at around 100.

I was testing it and looking at the MIDI values it sends and I had a hard time getting anywhere near f/ffs, so I put
the touch on light and in that setting it would be fairly obvious that ~100 or whereabouts is the upper range it never goes past.

I didn't use "break plastic" kind of force since it wasn't my instrument, but I did mash it fast and HARD.

Last edited by zenof; 05/06/21 03:12 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@zenof, Hmmm... it still seems odd to me. Should your findings be consistent across all units, that'd be a serious deal-breaker for the FP-30X.

Maybe others with new FP-30Xs can help verify this.

Again my experience with the FP-10s MIDI behavior is more than satisfactory, using the same PHA-4 Standard action as the FP-30X.

Cheers and for hopes of better outcomes,

HZ

D
D
Originally Posted by zenof
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Hmm, actually that's how I noticed that it caps out at around 100.

I was testing it and looking at the MIDI values it sends and I had a hard time getting anywhere near f/ffs, so I put
the touch on light and in that setting it would be fairly obvious that ~100 or whereabouts is the upper range it never goes past.

I didn't use "break plastic" kind of force since it wasn't my instrument, but I did mash it fast and HARD.

Honestly, your finding seems strange to me, I have a roland fp30 x and for midi it reaches all the values ​​it is excellent, I think it must be some error with your unit, brother

Originally Posted by davick
I think it must be some error with your unit, brother
Or maybe the way the MIDI traffic is being observed? I would put a low level MIDI logger on it and then check the file for raw data values. Don't allow something higher level to "process" the data in anyway. Just look at the raw bytes on the MIDI bus.

Tools like Pocket-MIDI and MIDI-Ox (Windows/PC) have the ability to monitor the totally raw data.

Z
Z
Originally Posted by 1903wrightflyer
Or maybe the way the MIDI traffic is being observed? I would put a low level MIDI logger on it and then check the file for raw data values. Don't allow something higher level to "process" the data in anyway. Just look at the raw bytes on the MIDI bus.

Tools like Pocket-MIDI and MIDI-Ox (Windows/PC) have the ability to monitor the totally raw data.
I'll double check-it once I get a chance to play with it again.

Originally Posted by zenof
Originally Posted by 1903wrightflyer

I'll double check-it once I get a chance to play with it again.

Have you discovered the root cause of your issue?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,642
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission