2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32
Originally Posted by Ampersand
Originally Posted by Purdy
Originally Posted by Ampersand
I am trying to connect to zoom for my lessons online.

So far I connected from my FP90X USB to my iPad with a lightning adapter. It doesn’t seem to work. When I get home I will try and see if it will work on my laptop but I would prefer to have work on my iPad.

I would rather not use an audio interface like focusrite if I can do it directly from the FP90X.

Anyone else tried this/ or suggestions?

Both my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro connect through usb for midi and audio. They just work.

I’m not sure how zoom fits into that picture.

Some apps you have to connect to the fp90x

Yeah, same here I can connect to my iPhone with the usb on the back of the keyboards.

It won’t work with zoom.

So I check the version (for fun) and my version is 1.0.1 and the latest is 1.0.3, I couldn’t even do the update. I kept getting “no update file”. I will go buy a different memory stick and see if this help.

I don’t think the upgrade will fix my zoom problem but it can’t hurt.

I bought a new memory stick and was able to do the update.

At least I have the latest version now.

Last edited by Ampersand; 04/25/21 10:46 PM.
J
J
Have also done the update and not noticed any improvements. However, today I played a lot with the headphones on and thought it sounded much better so am beginning to agree that the problem is the speakers.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The problem from the speakers is perhaps from the fact that the 2x30W of the FP90X while quite nice for a portable is not enough.

I have a decent 6x30W (N1X), but some people would prefer a 2x120W + 180W (Piano Phoenix). (Should I add Devialet speakers which sound pretty good : 900W per speaker).

It is quite hard to make speakers which rivals good headphones.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/27/21 05:03 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
E
According to
https://www.roland.com/global/suppo...rs/a837234c-fd73-47ee-bd26-9c245db2fdfe/
all that's been done by updates so far is:

- 1.02 fixed an issue with sostenuto which I'd never seen
- 1.03 fixed an issue with ambience that had been introduced by 1.02

It's not clear to me if any firmware update can fix problems with the speakers, especially since 'the speakers do not sound good' is not much to work on. I haven't managed to make mine sound anything other than normal - you send the sound to them, they reproduce the sound. Mine don't make poor sound sound good, but I haven't heard them making good sound sound poor either.

J
J
For me it's just that I struggle to find any piano sound where I like the tone and the low notes don't sound like there's a woolly hat covering the speakers. The mid and high ranges are fine for me.

Today I played with the on board piano designer a bit and that definitely helped. I set the lid higher up and that made a difference for me. So once I find something I am happy with in piano designer I will save it (you can save them, right?!).

Last edited by James44; 04/27/21 05:22 PM.
This guy in the N1X forum build or customized something to put on top of the speaker to redirect the sounds toward the pianist.

I am trying to find it but it’s a lot of searching.

That might help a lil bit with sound.

D
D
I'm thinking of upgrading to the FP90x coming from an FP10 with the PHA-4 standard. Do you guys think the upgrade is going to be significant if I'm after the action? I tried the PHA50 on the Roland GP in a store after hearing so many good things about it and honestly I wasn't blown away with it but I've only been playing for about a year so I'm not an expert. It did feel abit easier and pleasant to play but I didn't really have that immediate OMG this is so much better impression so I wasn't sure if paying about 4 times more was worth it. I'm assuming the PHA50 on the GP will be the same as the FP90x?

Not really interested in other sounds so the piano samples are all I care about. Mostly interested in classical pieces.

J
J
One thing I find is the reverb settings don't give the effect I am used to on the old KR-7.

Which piano sound do most people think is the best one for easy classical pieces?

Does anyone know a good dust cover? The most popular one on Amazon has many bad reviews because it leaves a lot of tiny black fibers on the keyboard.

E
E
The KR-7 has larger speakers and differently mounted, I don't think you'll ever get the same punch out of those in the FP-90x. They're really not comparable pianos.

I like the mellow variants, but that's me. And I'm not a pianist.

I haven't found a cover to my liking yet, but if you like black then https://www.ebay.de/itm/143865277018 or https://viktoryshop.com/product/roland-fp-90-88-keyboard-cover-by-viktory/ may have something for you (I haven't purchased either).

J
J
Thanks.

Oh, does anyone know why the FP-90X doesn't work with Piano Partner 2? It says FP-90 is compatible so why not the x version?

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by James44
Thanks.

Oh, does anyone know why the FP-90X doesn't work with Piano Partner 2? It says FP-90 is compatible so why not the x version?

I think it works with another app which seems to be a PP2 upgrade.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Folks/Owners - is there an audio loop back feature on the FP-90/FP-90X, that allows audio from the computer (running a VST) to be played back on the FP-90/FP-90X's speakers?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by mmathew
Folks/Owners - is there an audio loop back feature on the FP-90/FP-90X, that allows audio from the computer (running a VST) to be played back on the FP-90/FP-90X's speakers?

Yes, it has line input, and you must disable "local control".

Mind the speakers are some distance from perfection - the FP90 internal engine sounds much better with Sennheiser over-ear headphones.

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
The fp90x has usb audio input so you simply select the fp90x as your audio output device from your computer.

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_

Mind the speakers are some distance from perfection - the FP90 internal engine sounds much better with Sennheiser over-ear headphones.

I understand the line in function, but I was looking for what Purdy is saying:

The fp90x has usb audio input so you simply select the fp90x as your audio output device from your computer.

Thanks Purdy.
One question though, do I have to change some settings. Like for example, the P515 requires a setting to be turned 'On' for the loop back to work:

[Linked Image]

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
No but you would want to turn local control off and as I recall there is a setting for the usb audio volume

Last edited by Purdy; 05/12/21 11:15 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by _sem_

I understand the line in function, but I was looking for what Purdy is saying:

Thanks Purdy.
One question though, do I have to change some settings. Like for example, the P515 requires a setting to be turned 'On' for the loop back to work:

[Linked Image]

I just read this again and the part you are referencing in the Yamaha manual impacts recording from the piano.

I don’t know if there is similar control.

If you are just trying to play a vst through the usb audio, it would seem either piano will work out of the box.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
E
This Yamaha feature seems to be to send the audio input to the output. I imagine you may have a CD player plugged into the input, then you play along with it, and the combined audio is sent to a computer, as opposed to sending only the piano's audio.

But I think OP was simply asking to send MIDI from the piano to the computer, have a VST produce the audio, and hear the audio in the piano instead of the piano sound?

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by entonio
This Yamaha feature seems to be to send the audio input to the output. I imagine you may have a CD player plugged into the input, then you play along with it, and the combined audio is sent to a computer, as opposed to sending only the piano's audio.

But I think OP was simply asking to send MIDI from the piano to the computer, have a VST produce the audio, and hear the audio in the piano instead of the piano sound?

I believe you are correct. I have a Yamaha keyboard with that same loop back and I never use it.

And I do not have to do anything special to enable audio playback via usb from a computer using a vst.

Same on my Roland.

With something like Korg module running on an iPad connected via usb you just plug it in and it works.

With either the Roland or Yamaha.

Of course as already mentioned, you probably want to turn local to off so you hear only the sound from the computer.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Some Roland propaganda videos

FP-90x, PX-330
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission