2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (CodySean, accordeur, CraiginNZ, Burkey, Alex Hutor, 36251, 14 invisible), 976 guests, and 534 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3113087 05/03/21 03:15 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Maybe it’s too much of an ask during these COVID times, but Does anyone around the London / Reading / Midlands areas have an Yamaha N3 (not N3x) I could try? I bought one myself just before Xmas, and I’m convinced it’s not right sound-wise but have nothing to compare it to, so just wanted to try another one (or just happy to listen to you play it).

I’ve had my first jab already, if that helps put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Ronaldo777uk; 05/03/21 03:18 AM.

Yamaha N3
(ex Clavinova CLP-175)
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
You might try changing the acoustics of the room a bit. Like slightly moving the piano around a few times. Maybe opening a door. Putting a rug in the room. Closing the window curtains. Moving some furniture.

These small changes can make a big difference is sound.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Maybe it'd help if you describe what doesn't sound right on the N3 to see if it rings any bell with the N3 owners in this forum. I own an N3, my daughter has her own N3 and my son his own N3 as well, although I'm the only one on this forum. But @newerplayer has the right suggestions. Even if you found an N3 owner locally in your area who would let you try theirs out, theirs may sound very different from yours depending on the acoustic condition differences between yours and theirs.

Also, does it sound right through headphones?

A
OP Offline
A
Hi. Thanks. I did the headphones test and it has the same sound through headphones as well - less so but still present. So I'm thinking maybe the sound engine rather than spearkers. And also moving it around the room to check acoustics. It's quite an unpleasant amount of artifacts, almost distortion I would say, around D5/E5 and around that area. It affects the whole sound. I've made two recordings that might give you some idea. The recordings were made at good gain so as not to overload the microphone, so what you hear is an accurate representation of what I hear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ergxsl5m6beeg47/Chopin-audio.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vy1iljx3d3k1g3/N3-xmas-normalgain-audio.mp3?dl=0

I find it hard to believe that's the factory sound of the piano. I've always enjoyed clavinovas and other yamaha digital pianos in the past and never had a problem with the sound.

Yamaha N3
(ex Clavinova CLP-175)
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
The 2 N3 my son and daughter own were bought brand new and there was no problem with them. My N3 was bought used and luckily I had the store warranty (factory warranty is non-transferrable), but I had to have a Yamaha tech come to my house twice to repair it under warranty. The first issue was that a couple of octaves in the lows did not sound loud enough even when struck harder. The second issue was that a few octaves in the mid areas would not trigger a sound consistently when struck very lightly, a hit or miss situation despite the same soft strike to the note.

Anyway, the tech had to replace a couple of sensor boards (the hammer sensor board and the velocity sensor board), then recalibrate all the keys thoroughly before everything works again. So what I'm trying to say here is that if moving it around for different acoustical conditions still doesn't help, it's possible that either the keys in that area need regulation, or it's also possible that the sensor boards in that area have become flaky for some reason. It may be the sensor board, it may be something out of calibration, it may be the velocity gradient films getting dirty in that area, or even a combination of things... I don't think it's likely an issue with the sound engine. Like you said, if it's so, then everybody would have complained already. It's more likely an issue with the action/sensors, causing the sound engine to sound bad.

At least if it sounds bad just the same through the headphones, then you've eliminated the amplification system as the culprit.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,635
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission