2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
This is a separate issue from my previous thread about a fluttering sound in the bass notes of the NV5. Opinions there were almost evenly split as to whether it was a problem or not. My dealer said it wasn't an issue. Oh well.

For this different sound issue ... perhaps best to view the video first ... :

It only occurs when a line-in cable is plugged in.

I can hear this from the speakers (as in the video) but more annoyingly also in the headphones where the quietness means it is that much more disruptive.

The line-in cable is connected to my macbook pro headphone jack. This sizzle sound can be heard whether the computer is outputting sound or on mute.

The local dealer said they are forwarding the issue to Kawai for input, but I was hoping someone here might have some explanation or solution. Or at least confirm this issue is / is not present on your NV5.

If this is not fixable, it will be a deal breaker as I play in accompaniment to music videos played on the computer. (Bluetooth is not acceptable due to lag.)

Really not sure why pedaling would somehow be related to the line-in cable. Must be some wiring issues?

Any ideas? Really would appreicate any help.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am leaning towards the issue being with the NV5. But:

Computer sound cards aren't the best at delivering clean, pro-audio quality sound that we would expect to be in the range of or compatible with high-end instruments. So, I am strongly feeling that routing this through a sound card/audio interface will make a huge difference.

I don't have an NV5. My VST setup is not the same as yours. But when I first routed sound directly from the computer's 3.5mm out to a monitor, I had lots of noise, hissing and stray elements. Like, even if I move the mouse around and click something on the computer, a noise would be heard on the monitor.

I think we need to wait for the experts and more experienced kind folks here for further input, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mmathew
Computer sound cards aren't the best at delivering clean, pro-audio quality sound that we would expect to be in the range of or compatible with high-end instruments. So, I am strongly feeling that routing this through a sound card/audio interface will make a huge difference.

Yes I have read similar. The fact that this unwanted noise comes only when pedaling means it should be a piano issue, but I do want to know the best way (or at least better than onboard sound chip + headphone jack) to get computer sound to a DP's 3.5mm line-in. Could you point me to some thread or maybe a product page on amazon or something? I have seen some amplifiers but they really seem overkill.

I just need to play along to e.g. youtube videos on my macbook pro.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marcus Lai
... The fact that this unwanted noise comes only when pedaling means it should be a piano issue ...

This is why I am hesitant to rule out a piano issue.

However, if I wanted to use an audio interface, I'd start with something simple but leaving some room for further expansion, like the Focusrite Scarlet series which is pretty popular and good quality.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

You could install the drivers, plug your computer via USB to the Focusrite and route the output to the NV5 using a 3.5mm adapter (from the headphones out jack of Focusrite.) Another option is to combine the stereo outputs of the Focusrite to the NV5.

I don't think you need an amplifier. If the sound is low, first use the line-in volume slider of the NV5 to see if that works.

The NV5 is a fine instrument and I hope these issues are resolved soon so you can begin to enjoy your musical experience :-)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
On first read I suspected damper noise, which they've deliberately added for realism. (Never mind that their "realistic" level is far greater than what is truly realisitic.)

But when you turned that off and you demonstrated the "sizzle" I became puzzled.

Given that the noise appears when pressing the damper pedal it's clearly a piano problem. (Or is it a feature?)
I wonder what Kawai will say about this.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Line-In Jacks of the Novus can be stupid. I had similar Issues with the NV10 in the past. I double check this on my NV5 since i haven't tried it.

You would hear the noise on a normal keypress too because either you press a pedal or press a key doesn't matter for the Hardware. Both are "playing" something and it is send through the amp. With a faulty Line-In you have this sizzle sound mixed in in this process, even when turned of the damper noise.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
I
I
Wait.. Bluetooth lag?! Isn't it advertised that the purpose of playing music through speakers is so you can play along with the music?

Yes, play some recorded music over bluetooth into speakers so that you can sing (or play) along.

Just don't try to send the sound of your piano over bluetooth.

Latency in the recorded music is irrelevant. Latency in your piano sound is bothersome.

P
P
Recorded music always has latency, sometimes decades!

T
T
I think the sounds from the other thread were perfectly ok, but now this seems really strange. I guess Kawai might say that you should not connect headphone output to line input, but honestly that should not be the issue (just connect a CD player if you own one to rule that out). Do you have any other connections between your NV5 and the computer apart from the line input (can you rule out that the sound is coming from the MacBook, weird idea, I know)?

Last edited by Thomas B; 03/18/21 01:09 PM. Reason: Playback was already mentioned by OP

Fatar Studio 900, Galaxy Vintage D, Zimmermann Silent Piano made by C. Bechstein
http://www.gentlerain.de
C
C
Such hissing noise is usually created by ground loop https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity). Try another line-in source, i.e. smartphone to check it. Or try to disconnect you MacBook from the power source and check when it runs on battery.
You can try to get rid of the ground loop noise by using devices called “ground loop breaker”.

Last edited by Checker; 03/21/21 07:41 AM.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I tried the Line-in on My Novus with a Laptop connected and haven't experienced the ground loop issue so far. I double checked the damper noise too. It works like a charm. Either you have a ground loop in the connection or the Line-in is broken. I would recommend trying different sources of input devices first like Tablets or Smartphones.

Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
A
A
Hi,

yesterday I had this problem after not playing the instrument for a couple of weeks:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/544483016
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/544482914

It occurred already last year but disappeared immediately after switching off/on again. This time it stayed for a couple of hours.

It's terrible and actually it hurts the ears when there are these extremely loud bursts as heard in the first video.

Did anybody experience something like this, too?

Thanks, Leo

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
You need to drop the "manage/videos/" part from the URL.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So much dust. shocked

I haven't experienced anything like that but it sounds like a damaged mainboard.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Isn't it like a bad connection to the speakers or a single speaker?

Originally Posted by aprileon

Never.

Please contact your dealer to have the issue investigated and resolved.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Technically, I would say D/A converter or audio amplifier chain fault. All in all, you need to contact your dealer / KAWAI service.

This kind of things makes me feel better on my approach to digital pianos, using a separate controller and VSTs. That will for sure last more, be more upgradeable and easier to fix than having all in one complex proprietary box. IMHO of course

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
... using a separate controller and VSTs. That will for sure last more...

Times have passed when this would be called "futuristic." Not any more. This is the current and future state. Unless one is well versed and qualified, it might take a while to get the hardware, software and their interactions right - but once there, it's bliss.

G. K. Chesterton
Originally Posted by aprileon
Hi,

yesterday I had this problem after not playing the instrument for a couple of weeks:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/544483016
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/544482914

It occurred already last year but disappeared immediately after switching off/on again. This time it stayed for a couple of hours.

It's terrible and actually it hurts the ears when there are these extremely loud bursts as heard in the first video.

Thanks, Leo

I couldn't play the vid, but from your description, it's a motherboard problem, similar to what I had on my Kawai Cn 27 I think, after the turn of the Millenium. It took nearly a year to get it fixed; Kawai wanted it reported by a designated technician, and not by recorded evidence. Trouble is, it sometimes played up and sometimes didn't . . . it was fine when it was done.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission