2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Greener Offline OP

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G
For someone that is highly proficient at playing by ear, you would simply need to remember how the piece goes and (in theory at least) you could play it correctly and perhaps even up to performance standard in one go. But, surely anyone playing with that ability didn't start off that way.

If you are learning by ear, from my experience at least, it could take you just as long to work out a piece and the arrangement, polishing it and all the rest, as it would if you were learning it from the score. Also, if you wanted to keep it fresh, you would need to keep coming back to it just as you would if you were, once again reading from the score.

Just curious of what you may think of this.

Where I see a difference, is that while learning you would need to rely entirely on memory in order to play it next time, and only when highly advanced at it, would you only need a little memory of it. Like, able to hum in your head. The rest of it (harmony, rhythm...) would come to you by ear, presumably.

Or, the other thing you could do is figure it out by ear and then chart all the chords for yourself as you go along. That's what I would do. But, would this be considered playing by ear too? Not really, if you're using the chart now, but without the chart, maybe.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You ever watch The Legend of 1900? That is what I consider playing by ear.
I have known only one person in my life who could do that; he was a church pianist and had no formal training at all. He could hear a song and then just play it correctly, even change keys and play it. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Can we presume that whether you are talking about learning by ear or playing by ear you are referring primarily to popular music and not classical scores?

Trying to learn classical music by ear would be nearly impossible except for the most highly-trained and experienced pianist.

Unless I am missing something in your question, I think that before you can play anything you have to learn it. When I learn and then play a piece by ear for which I don't have the score or a lead sheet, I never write out the chords or chord symbols. They are in my head as I figure out the piece. I have also learned a popular song by reading the chord symbols from lead sheets or read the chord symbols from the complete piano-vocal sheet music.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
Greener Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G
"Can we presume that whether you are talking about learning by ear or playing by ear you are referring primarily to popular music and not classical scores?"

Yes, we can presume that.

I know, the question is a little strange. Not sure I completely have my head around it either. crazy

But to put another way ... If you learn something by ear and then perform it, would you consider this playing by ear, whether or not it is now played from a score or completely by memory, after having worked it out by ear over a week or more. Where I am confused is that until you can play it on the fly by ear, are you really playing by ear? Or, is it something else, until your ear develops. Thinking out loud, this last statement may be on to something.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
I can pick up some easy stuff by ear.

If I play it enough times it's pretty much in my muscle memory.

If sheet music isn't involved at any point, I'm learning by ear and playing by ear.

If I first write down the chords -- picked by ear -- I'm learning/playing by ear.

Even if I look up the chords online or from a book I'd say I'm still playing by ear as I didn't use sheet music for the melody.

If I start with just sheet music, I'm not.

(But in practise I personally need to hear the music because I'm so bad at reading sheet music.)

G
Greener Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you, clothearednincompo, for this insight.

I have also come up with something profound ...

You read until you can site-read and/or you learn by ear until you can play by ear. But in either case they are not exactly the same thing. Maybe, just a thought.

I
Ido Offline
I
For me the answer would be that it's playing by ear as long as I have to figure out the melody/harmony on the fly. Once I memorized it (even unintentionally), my brain switches off the 'analytical' ear (that tries to figure out what I'm hearing) and keeps only the 'performer' ear (which monitors pitch, dynamics, rhythm and tempo). So it eventually feels the same as if I learned it from a score.

Last edited by Ido; 05/03/21 04:02 PM.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
On occasion, on my Facebook news feed, there is a video of this lady playing the piano and she calls herself an "improvisionist". She says she doesn't know what she is about to play, until she plays it. And, ironically, her playing is pretty good, and, in fact, quite enjoyable.

That said, all music has some similarities. Some music sounds very similar to other pieces of music. There are certain patterns, intervals, chords, chord combinations, and what I call "riffs" and "licks". So, what the lady is doing is playing something that sounds similar to something that everyone has heard at some point in time, although it may not be exact or note for note the same.

I would say she plays by ear, because she uses no written score or sheet music, and plays what I call "off the cuff".

I'm not sure if I play by ear or not, but I cannot read music fluently, while playing the piano. I am familiar enough with the music score to recognize key signatures, timing, notes and patterns to an extent, but I can't put a piece of sheet music in front of me and play it. I can look at the music for a while and play a few notes from the score, and if I work on it long enough I can eventually play what is on the sheet.

But I am too impatient for that. So, I revert to either the "off the cuff" improvision style or the by ear method of playing (play what is in my mind or what I thought I heard when listening to a song/piece). I will say that my playing is simplistic, chord based, and I use a lot of riffs in the left hand and licks in the right hand.

I have flirted around with learning to read music properly, but I seem to prefer the "by ear" method, for better or worse. It just seems more fun and "free", if you will.

I do agree with BruceD that playing Classical music by ear is difficult, if not impossible, to get every note right, which I rarely do, even with the more simple repertoire. But a lot depends on the genre of music you like and enjoy playing the most.

Oh yea, when I'm playing the oldies rock-n-roll style tunes, getting it close is close enough, usually. smile

Interesting topic...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Rickster
On occasion, on my Facebook news feed, there is a video of this lady playing the piano and she calls herself an "improvisionist". She says she doesn't know what she is about to play, until she plays it. And, ironically, her playing is pretty good, and, in fact, quite enjoyable.

Is this lady's name Gabriela Montero?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Originally Posted by Greener

You read until you can site-read and/or you learn by ear until you can play by ear. But in either case they are not exactly the same thing. Maybe, just a thought.
Ypur original question and this comment are about things most people don't distinguish. The important thing is "by ear" or "from the score". If one was using the score no one would discuss learning from the score vs. playing from the score. Although they are different the important thing is "from the score". it's the same thing if one is "by ear".

R
R
Hear are my thoughts about playing by ear vs reading: when reading you are abstracting. When playing by ear you are developing an intuitive sense of the keyboard.

I think you could eventually develop an intuitive sense of the keyboard through reading , but I think it would take longer and you might still have to work at it.

Playing by ear is one of my goals and I’m trying to get there through reading. I believe it is going to take a while.

G
Greener Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Ypur original question and this comment are about things most people don't distinguish. The important thing is "by ear" or "from the score". If one was using the score no one would discuss learning from the score vs. playing from the score. Although they are different the important thing is "from the score". it's the same thing if one is "by ear".

Well, everyone else made sense.

Originally Posted by EVC2017

No, this is an older lady. I logged on to my FB page and tried to find her name, but could not find it. I did comment a few times on her FB post. I'd say she is in her late 60s or early 70s. I'm not good at judging age.

If I come across her FP page I will post it here... she has a very pleasant personality, and plays the piano well, even if random and off the cuff. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

No, this is an older lady. I logged on to my FB page and tried to find her name, but could not find it. I did comment a few times on her FB post. I'd say she is in her late 60s or early 70s. I'm not good at judging age.

If I come across her FP page I will post it here... she has a very pleasant personality, and plays the piano well, even if random and off the cuff. smile

Rick

Oh, OK. Your description fits Gabriela as well, but she has a solid classical formation. And in one of their videos she described her improvisation process just like "she says she doesn't know what she is about to play, until she plays it".

About playing being pretty good, Gabriela, this lady of yours, the pianist trooplewis mentioned have experience (either formal or informal) and also are on the edge in termos of talent.

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/03/21 06:14 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.

Rick

Oh, OK. Your description fits Gabriela as well, but she has a solid classical formation. And in one of their videos she described her improvisation process just like "she says she doesn't know what she is about to play, until she plays it".

About playing being pretty good, Gabriela, this lady of yours, the pianist trooplewis mentioned have experience (either formal or informal) and also are on the edge in termos of talent.

Finally found it... the lady's name is "Beth Green" and has a handle, "Granny Rocks". Here is her FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/GrannyRocksOn

Like I said, she has a very nice personality. Sometimes, when it comes to being a performer/entertainer, "personality" may actually trump performance ability/skills (or not). smile

Rick

G
G
For me, reading and correctly playing a score is a different mental process than playing by ear. I can "hear" melodies, harmonies, intervals, chord progressions etc. in my head and just play them. Mentally I'm not thinking about "notes" at all. For most pop/country/gospel types songs I can either do this on the fly or take a few minutes to work out more complex things.

When you get outside the world of classical music, this is what I think most musicians do. Guitars, bass, drums, keys, steel guitar, fiddle, etc. they're playing what they hear internally and can pretty much do it in any key or style.

If you can sing and harmonize along with a group or the radio you can already do this. You just have to practice doing it with your hands instead of your voice.

I can't speak to jazz. It's not something I enjoy so it's completely off my radar.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Well, everyone else made sense.

I second this! smile

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
People who have any music training can reproduce pieces in 3 ways:
1. Reading a score
2. Good memory
3. By ear

Some people would be better at 1 instead of another. Many include myself would use all 3 skills to different degrees.

Learning a new piece on paper I need to rely on the score. However, if I heard it in a recording before, I can rely on memory to fill in some details.

Playing by ear can mean playing an unfamiliar piece after listening to it without reading the notes. You can also refer to someone who can improvise (come up with good sounding combinations).

Playing from memory can be memory of a song (sound pitches) & muscle memory (finger sequences). Most people use both memories at the same time. A difficult song is learned by repetition (the sound & fingerings).

Some teaching methods like Suzuki focus on playing by ear in the beginning while others teach reading first.

I know this is composition, but this one looks like playing by ear but with a lot of music theory learned innately to back it up.

Creating a piano sonata in under a minute from just 4 notes:

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
I know this is composition, but this one looks like playing by ear but with a lot of music theory learned innately to back it up.

Creating a piano sonata in under a minute from just 4 notes:

Very interesting! And, and very gifted and talented young lady! I enjoy watching and listening! Thanks for posting! smile

I'm a big fan of the "60 Minutes" TV program; always interesting and informative.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission