2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (c++, David B, 36251, BlakeOR, Alex McG, Bett, 12 invisible), 1,028 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Originally Posted by peterws
It should work.

Sounds like you're into experimenting, and are after a 'realistic' experience similar to what @Bruce In Philly and me are after.

If you're even introducing panels, that'd approach somewhat the anatomy of an upright piano. And makes me think of using exciters behind those panels. That'd be a different level of experimenting though that would easily turn out to be a huge time and energy gobbler.

Oh well...

Cheers and happy piano emulations,

HZ

I thought I'd responded to this, but probably forgot to post the thing.

Exciters on a panel, whilst producing a non-centred source of sound, don't work as piano strings do. The exciters would have to be at a distance (trial and error like a piano, or a guitar/violin,) from the panel in order to vibrate it in the same way. They'd have to be free to move, with unrestricted back or front which would or could create an artificial or boxed in effect.
However, the sound of the digital through a speaker equates to the sum total sound of the acoustic, including sound-board resonance delays, bloom, what-have-you. It would be impossible in most cases to separate these out.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Exciters on a panel, whilst producing a non-centred source of sound, don't work as piano strings do. The exciters would have to be at a distance (trial and error like a piano, or a guitar/violin,) from the panel in order to vibrate it in the same way. They'd have to be free to move, with unrestricted back or front which would or could create an artificial or boxed in effect.
However, the sound of the digital through a speaker equates to the sum total sound of the acoustic, including sound-board resonance delays, bloom, what-have-you. It would be impossible in most cases to separate these out.

I had to read this a few times before getting it--now that I do (I think), I see that you probably mean the same thing that I have pondered for quite a bit:

- You'd need a decent enough soundboard;
- You'd need exciters in multiple places, possibly following the line where a bridge would be;
- You'd need meticulously recorded string vibrations as samples, nothing else included in their waveforms.

For the latter to work, I'd think of recording the samples using piezo pickups (as found in e.g. double bass pickups) instead of microphones, as many as possible, ideally one under each string group (of one, two, or three strings per note).

The more I think of it, the more enticing it gets--but also I see a huge project with a grand (pun intended) number of pitfalls and challenges.

Oh well, we can always dream of grand (pun intended) things and at least have sparks of learning and creativity from our dreams.

Cheers and exciting dreams to all of us,

HZ

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

I had to read this a few times before getting it--now that I do (I think), I see that you probably mean the same thing that I have pondered for quite a bit:

- You'd need a decent enough soundboard;
- You'd need exciters in multiple places, possibly following the line where a bridge would be;
- You'd need meticulously recorded string vibrations as samples, nothing else included in their waveforms.

For the latter to work, I'd think of recording the samples using piezo pickups (as found in e.g. double bass pickups) instead of microphones, as many as possible, ideally one under each string group (of one, two, or three strings per note).

The more I think of it, the more enticing it gets--but also I see a huge project with a grand (pun intended) number of pitfalls and challenges.

Oh well, we can always dream of grand (pun intended) things and at least have sparks of learning and creativity from our dreams.

Cheers and exciting dreams to all of us,

HZ

I think you said it all. Back to woofers and tweeters with a mid-range thrown in for the better-off amongst us . . . smile

"[Linked Image]"
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I think you said it all. Back to woofers and tweeters with a mid-range thrown in for the better-off amongst us . . . smile

😀

Yup, I'm still in the 'woofers and tweeters (no mid-range)' echelon. But am quite happy now with six sets of 'em in my piano setup, which has us back on your intended topic.

In parallel to that, how fortunate that we can always dream sweet dreams... of inspiration and dear wishes... of ideas and solutions... Oh well. 😉

Cheers and sweet (day)dreams,

HZ

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
On the other hand, there's always the Kawai K15 silent, for my little office . . . .hope to try one out soon. But they cost plenty. and the darn thing'd probably outlast me . . . .that's the bit I don't like.

"[Linked Image]"
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

On the other hand, there's always the Kawai K15 silent, for my little office . . . .hope to try one out soon. But they cost plenty. and the darn thing'd probably outlast me . . . .that's the bit I don't like.

Now you made me want one too... After the so-manieth hiccup today with digital, computers and the whole Bleh of that, I am fast approaching having totally and completely and utterly had it with digital and VSTis, which to me are mere, however as of yet inevitable, surrogates anyway.

Cheers and happy true instrument playing,

HZ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,642
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission