2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
So, do you think this is a Yamaha sub-line or a total counterfeit? Besides the fact that the screwed on logo looks soooo sketchy, I've never seen a Yamaha logo in that font (even super old ones).

Yamaha MIKI G530 Grand Piano for sale on CL

The Yamaha Miki logo:
[Linked Image]

A regular Yamaha logo for comparison:
[Linked Image]

I should add, I'm not looking for a new piano, I was just poking around CL for fun. Also, it looks like this is being sold by a dealer so maybe the piano is legit and just really old? (I note it has only two pedals, I wonder when Yamaha made three pedals standard on all grands....)

ETA:
Ok, wait, I did a search in Japanese and found this photo of a used piano for sale in Japan:

[Linked Image]

A Japanese piano dealer's site said that MIKI was an "in-house brand" made by Yamaha and sold as Miki from 1924-1994.

So, who screwed on the fake Yamaha logo on that piano for sale on CL? Pretty shady if you ask me!

ETA #2: that screwed on logo is not just shady, it's so poorly done I would be worried about a piano that was "refurbished" by someone who thought doing the logo like that was a good idea!!!

/rant

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 05/04/21 06:49 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Wasn't "Eterna" another Yamaha line, possibly a joint venture with Pearl River? Yamaha dealers around here probably know.

Larry.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Yamaha has made other brands over the years, but I have no knowledge about MIKI.

Eterna was a brand made by Yamaha. Cable-Nelson is a more recent brand owned and made by Yamaha.

Last edited by PianoWorksATL; 05/04/21 07:10 PM.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I'd be suspicious of the Yamaha logo on the fallboard being a plastic decal installed with screws. I don't know, I just don't think I'd want it at any price, because something just seems suspicious about it.

Didn't know Yamaha made a "house brand" although many dealers sell "house brands". And, I've never heard of a Miki.

It is just not authentic looking enough for me. Of course, owning a real Yamaha grand may have something to do with that opinion.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Yamaha has made other brands over the years, but I have no knowledge about MIKI.

Eterna was a brand made by Yamaha. Cable-Nelson is a more recent brand owned and made by Yamaha.

And I don't have a problem with "house brands" or whatever they should be called in English. A friend of a friend has a Cable-Nelson grand that's really nice. And as I poke around Japanese websites, a fair number of Miki pianos come up.

I just don't like the obvious deception of that CL piano.

I'd be suspicious of the Yamaha logo on the fallboard being a plastic decal installed with screws. I don't know, I just don't think I'd want it at any price, because something just seems suspicious about it.

Rick, exactly.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

Didn't know Yamaha made a "house brand" although many dealers sell "house brands". And, I've never heard of a Miki.

It is just not authentic looking enough for me. Of course, owning a real Yamaha grand may have something to do with that opinion.

Rick
What are house brands?

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
What are house brands?

This is a great question, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment.... Having said that whome

So, I was using the term "in-house" brand based on something I read on a Japanese website, and of course Rick wrote "house brand," which is probably better. But maybe there's another term?

Basically, it's a piano that's made by company X, or made under the direction of company X, but doesn't (or shouldn't!) have company X's logo on its fallboard.

So for example, Essex and Boston are both made by Steinway, and I note that Wiki calls them "secondary brands." But they each have their own logos on their fallboards, and aren't actually made in the same factories.

Same for Cable-Nelson, those piano say Cable-Nelson on the fallboard but Yamaha is the parent company.

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 05/04/21 08:06 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
A house brand is essentially the retailer side of stenciling. They bought a piano and have their brand put on it.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks,I always thought it was some kind of customized model ordered by a dealer.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Wasn't Cable-Nelson an existing brand that Yamaha bought and then replaced the C-N models with their own?
Or am I confusing C-N with another brand?

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Thanks,I always thought it was some kind of customized model ordered by a dealer.

You're welcome.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
But, yeah, that screw-on plaque! Did it come off a lawn mower or snow mobile? whome

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
But, yeah, that screw-on plaque! Did it come off a lawn mower or snow mobile? whome

grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
A house brand is essentially the retailer side of stenciling. They bought a piano and have their brand put on it.

Ah, this is a helpful definition!

But then this definition doesn't fit the S&S/Boston/Essex connection, right? From what I read, the connection between Yamaha and Miki is like the S&S/Boston connection.

So, secondary line or sub-brand might be better??

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Ah, this is a helpful definition!

But then this definition doesn't fit the S&S/Boston/Essex connection, right? From what I read, the connection between Yamaha and Miki is like the S&S/Boston connection.

So, secondary line or sub-brand might be better??

It’s sort of fluid. Big makers like S&S contract OEM production of products to their spec’s and market them large scale. I’d equate “House Brand” as I’ve described it to a much smaller scale. Maybe in one city or region. Drive one state over and maybe find the identical product with some other name on it.

I’d consider Essex and Boston to be bonafide product lines marketed by S&S, more so than a “house brand,” in part because they’re more than a “house,” which implies local. But, again, these are not concrete definitions or categories.

C
C
Wasn't Cable-Nelson an existing brand that Yamaha bought and then replaced the C-N models with their own?
Or am I confusing C-N with another brand?

Cable Nelson was an old American brand. I owned a small grand that was made in 1925 that was a pretty decent little piano. I think Yamaha bought the name in the late 90s or early 00s. And there my knowledge ends.

Online Content

Re: House Brands...

The D.H. Baldwin brand was a house brand sold by Baldwin dealers, as a cheaper alternative to a real Baldwin. The D.H. Baldwin was made by Young Change initially, and then by Samick. Not bad pianos, per-se, but not real Baldwins either.

That is just one example of many.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
I just tuned a Story & Clark that was made by Yamaha. It was clearly marked that way, including the plate casting.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
[...]

So for example, Essex and Boston are both made by Steinway, [...]

Not exact!

Essex is designed by Steinway, but made in China by Guangzhou Pearl River Piano Group Ltd.

Boston is designed by Steinway, but made in Japan and Indonesia at Kawai Musical Instrument Mfg. Co., Ltd., and Samick Musical Instrument Mfg. Co. Ltd.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL

Cable was founded in the early 20th century and the name was changed to Cable-Nelson when Nelson joined in shortly thereafter. The firm was bought by Everett, and for about 50 years, Everett was their higher end brand, Cable-Nelson the lower end brand. Yamaha bought Everett in the 1970's, and shut down the Cable-Nelson brand.

In 2007 Yamaha started using Cable-Nelson as a brand for pianos made in China.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission