2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Dou you really notice or appreciate the difference in sound? This could equally apply to hi-fi or monitor systems too, which may be used to play the piano through. You may be able to get single speakers which give an excellent performance over the spectral range of hearing, but I think I read the doppler effect (bass) can interfere with the treble in such cases.
And of course, the speakers themselves will deteriate given sufficient time.
Any thoughts? . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
You've shortchanged the 8-speaker aficionados! frown

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
It'd come down to how the sample was recorded and designed to be played back. More speakers is a waste of time if you don't have the right room treatments, you just get more convolution in the cancellations which worsens the overall response.

I think the field is just starting, old and existing speakers use alot less computing power when they were designed, so they universally use simple geometry and compromises to get the sound good enough.

We have AI aided design now, far more powerful data centers, and 3d printing that can produce any shape you want. There's alot left to do but very little motivation to do it because the market is saturated with trash selling for $$$$, why would manufacturers invest in complex R&D when the idiot audiophiles of today are willing to pony up for the same slop they were selling in the 50s.

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/04/21 04:46 PM.
Slight exaggeration, eh?
Originally Posted by EinLudov
... the idiot audiophiles of today are willing to pony up for the same slop they were selling in the 50s.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

In a very short time I went from two speakers to four speakers, until a few days ago I decided I wanted six.

Four out of the six speakers were recently bought new, the third pair I added is 28 years old. Two out of the three stereo amplifiers in this setup are 31 years old, the third one probably 40--50 years old. All of this is hifi gear of decent quality, give or take minor bits of revision I still need to do on both the 31 year old amps.

There are some specifics about my setup that are quite interesting and turned out quite nice. I've already thought of sharing more on that here, but need to find a decent bit of time to do that properly. Not yet sure when that might be.

My aim was/is to reach a believable piano experience with a digital 'surrogate' (which it is for me), for the lack and want of a proper acoustic instrument.

With the initial two speakers in near-field placement the sound quality was already quite good, but I missed the immersion into the 'wall of sound' that an acoustic instrument offers. And an upright piano quite literally is a 'wall of sound'. Now, with the six speakers, it comes a whole lot closer to that. I am rather fond of the outcomes so far and really enjoy sitting at this 'piano' and being enveloped by the music.

To summarize, the gain in this multi-speaker setup is immersion/added realism more than just sound reproduction quality (in the regular sense of tonality, frequency response, stereo imaging etc.)

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Hi HZ,

I love this idea! So waiting on the details. But quite simply, how'd you set this up though?

6 passive speakers
1 amp powers all 6 speakers
1 volume
1 eq

6 active speakers (individual volume, EQs, with built-amps)

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My thinking on adding multiple speakers to a digital piano is this.
Someone needs to create a speaker box that looks like the back 3/4ths of a baby grand piano, and lets you slide your keyboard into the front.

If you are so dedicated to re-creating acoustic sound that you want to add multiple speakers, at least get rid of the ugliness of it and hide it in a pseudo-grand.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by trooplewis
My thinking on adding multiple speakers to a digital piano is this.
Someone needs to create a speaker box that looks like the back 3/4ths of a baby grand piano, and lets you slide your keyboard into the front.

If you are so dedicated to re-creating acoustic sound that you want to add multiple speakers, at least get rid of the ugliness of it and hide it in a pseudo-grand.

That's sort of what I did in my grand shaped cabinet. It uses a 100 watt computer sound system and the subwoofer is right behind the bass keys, where you would expect bass to come from in an acoustic grand. Another thing is that with the lid closed it also sounds like a closed lid grand, while opening it up gives a less muffled, more airy, defined sound.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like my two above, two below configuration. The two below are heavy-sounding ADS speakers, the two on the top are accurate B&W with that classic B&W sound that I perceive as a woody sound. This config gives me a big lush sound that I can feel. I love it. No need to add more. Done.

I confess that my fantasy setup is those ADS below as I have them.... then a pair of Bose 901 direct/reflecting speakers on top to blast sound out and have it reverb back at me. I know those speakers well as a friend had them.... those Bose were never accurate nor "high fidelity" but they were fun to play giving a huge albeit ambiguous sound stage.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05/04/21 09:39 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With PianoTeq you can configure 5.1 systems pretty easily.

With some other VIs you can run several channels also with a DAW (free CakeWalk or cheap Reaper).

It is difficult to set up 2 speakers in a room. More speakers are more difficult. If you have good monitors, you might ignore the subwoofer.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@josh_sounds, As you may have derived from my comment: 3x2 passive HiFi speakers, driven by 3 stereo HiFi amplifiers. Volume and EQ settings on the computer. More details are too extensive for now.

@Bruce In Philly, A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a picture of yours showing your two above/two below setup. My setup kind of resembles that. Sounds as if you are just as happy with that as I am 😀 🍾.

@newer player, Yes placing speakers can be a pain, and often is. Not long ago it drove me nuts as far as the piano was concerned. Some months ago, and with a few pointers from my brother, I tested near-field placement for the first time and loved it. Having the speakers that close to you, tips the balance between the direct output from the speakers and the room artifacts immensely in favor of the former. With more than two speakers, it is wise to have matching characters, or even literally the same speakers; the same goes for the amplifiers. I was surprised how relatively easy it was after applying some of this common sense, and how well it turned out.

Cheers and happy experimenting,

HZ

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You've shortchanged the 8-speaker aficionados! frown

I have a 12-speaker system if I care to use it . . . 2 med-fi speakers and the two P515s I've never tried this out yet in it's fullness. . . .Iam wanting to place them strategically inside the front panel I'll be placing above the pedals. The sound will emanate from around it, indirectly, as from a piano cabinet. It will also keep the sound within the confines of the piano, dispersed before it gets a chance to wend it's way into other rooms.
It should work.

Last edited by peterws; 05/05/21 03:37 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by peterws
It should work.

Sounds like you're into experimenting, and are after a 'realistic' experience similar to what @Bruce In Philly and me are after.

If you're even introducing panels, that'd approach somewhat the anatomy of an upright piano. And makes me think of using exciters behind those panels. That'd be a different level of experimenting though that would easily turn out to be a huge time and energy gobbler.

Oh well...

Cheers and happy piano emulations,

HZ

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Originally Posted by peterws
It should work.
... And makes me think of using exciters behind those panels. That'd be a different level of experimenting though that would easily turn out to be a huge time and energy gobbler.

Oh, like this guy did? Proceed to 26:40 for the final product.

Hello,

@josh_sounds, As you may have derived from my comment: 3x2 passive HiFi speakers, driven by 3 stereo HiFi amplifiers. Volume and EQ settings on the computer. More details are too extensive for now.

Thanks for that info! That's quite enough for the electronics guy in all of us. smile
By the way, are the amps connected to the PC via wired hifi audio cable, optical audio cable, or via USB or anything else?

I first saw this Speaker Guy and his video a couple of years ago.

It left me wondering whether such panels are legitimate replacements for "normal" speakers.

If so, will someone please come forward with a conspiracy theory to explain why speaker manufacturers are still selling expensive, conventional units?

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

explain why speaker manufacturers are still selling expensive, conventional units?

There are two videos by this 'Speaker Guy', the second one is all the more important. I posted both somewhere over here (or at least added a link to the second one) not so long ago.

I can't answer that question, but ever since I saw those videos, I'm itching to try exciters (originally, I was after that technology for a musical but non-piano project which is currently in cryo state) but haven't found the time and won't find any anytime soon. But interesting matter this is.

Cheers and happy exciting,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by josh_sounds
are the amps connected to the PC via wired hifi audio cable, optical audio cable, or via USB or anything else?

VSTi through USB to Behringer UMC204HD interface. Line outputs 1+2 to amp #1, 3+4 to amp #2, and the monitoring L+R outputs to amp #3.

Cheers and happy cable jungle,

HZ

I first saw this Speaker Guy and his video a couple of years ago.

It left me wondering whether such panels are legitimate replacements for "normal" speakers.

If so, will someone please come forward with a conspiracy theory to explain why speaker manufacturers are still selling expensive, conventional units?

According to this paper, DML Speakers , it is in terms of fidelity! However, it did not discuss cost, manufacturing, or mounting* in detail.

*mounting in terms of holding the panel in place while not disrupting or altering its acoustic properties.

Hello,

Originally Posted by josh_sounds
are the amps connected to the PC via wired hifi audio cable, optical audio cable, or via USB or anything else?

VSTi through USB to Behringer UMC204HD interface. Line outputs 1+2 to amp #1, 3+4 to amp #2, and the monitoring L+R outputs to amp #3.

Cheers and happy cable jungle,

Aaahhh... Behringer UMC204HD. This one explains it all! Thanks!

On another note, I hate their controllers, specifically Behringer's UMX610. It is very poorly made and sells for ~$271 brand new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission