2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (Bach_ingMaddie, Christopher90, anotherscott, BlakeOR, Beansparrow, Boboulus, BlaisGuitars, Abdol, 7 invisible), 338 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3114364 05/06/21 01:16 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Is anyone here using the M-Audio Hammer 88?

I read it has a lighter action which would be great for me as I prefer that - and so I'm curious about experiences with that midi keyboard.

I also read that quite a few studios and professionals use it.

Still trying to find a place where to have a demo unit in the Los Angeles area.

I've been watching comparative YouTube videos until the cows come home recently trying to decide on an "entry level" hammer action digital piano or midi controller and I have to say that M-Audio Hammer (like Alesis Recital Pro) does not fare well in most comparative reviews. Personally I have narrowed the choice down to Korg B2, Roland FP10 or Kawai ES110 with the latter two being the "ultimate choice" (at my upper price point) and the Korg being the "cheap one". All these have USB-MIDI so can be used as "controllers" for VST just as easily as using their inbuilt sound engines stand-alone. The general consensus is that you will get access to a better action by getting a "main brand" digital piano rather than just a controller with MIDI only such as M-Audio, Alesis, StudioLogic (though of those 3, the StudioLogic, because it's really Fatar's brand and uses their key action, might be considered the best).

(of course we all have different requirements and for me "action" is more important than anything else (given, that with MIDI, almost all other functionality can be handled externally) so if you really require "controller" funcitonality like mod/pitch wheels and that kind of thing then perhaps a dedicated hammer action controller is a more attractive prospect?).

PS forgot to say: I assume from the thread title you really do mean "M-Audio Hammer 88" and not "M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro" - the latter is about $200-250 more and a more recent release so I'm not sure there's so much about it in net articles and videos. But as I understand it it's basically about adding more controllers and stuff than anything specifically about an improved "action" ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by 1903wrightflyer
PS forgot to say: I assume from the thread title you really do mean "M-Audio Hammer 88" and not "M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro" - the latter is about $200-250 more and a more recent release so I'm not sure there's so much about it in net articles and videos. But as I understand it it's basically about adding more controllers and stuff than anything specifically about an improved "action" ?

the Hammer 88 pro uses the same bad keyboard. I cannot believe those review that called this action "light". It is like glue. I pressed one key and I didn't like it instantly. I tried a bit more but it's not fun. Reviews write a lot of nonsense, even the good reviews are full of personal views that might not match your sensual preferences. the hammer 88 pro is overpriced. For 150 dollars more you can get much superior keyboards by Arturia and Komplete Kontrol (model name, not brand name) or Studiologic.

On top of that M-Audio's customer service is non-existent. Couldn't reach them by phone.

I also tested the Arturia Keylab 88 mark II which is the best MIDI controller as a controller and I loved the keyboard because it is direct. It has the Fatar TP/100LR keybed. It's been improved over the mark I.

Reviews had told me "there are better options" or it is "heavy". Yes, there is resistance. But you can speed up the key with strong finger action quickly - so it's a matter of strength.

The spongy keybeds like the hammer's you cannot do that. There is this resistance that is like friction.This shows you cannot go for reviews or what anyone says.

Form your own opinion and take your time. Buyer's remorse for keyboards is a bad thing and can spoilt the joy of learning and playing.

The third contender is an Arturia Keylab 88 mark I - but the asking price is too high and its older and I heard its keybed is not as good as the mark I. I'll likely try it out.

The Yamaha P-125 has a very good keybed and is in my opinion only second to the Keylab and the Kawai VPC controller.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP8 MIDI Latency
by Steve_B - 06/24/21 02:15 PM
Clavinova CLP100 no sound on left
by Tony Arnold - 06/24/21 10:33 AM
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,681
Posts3,106,862
Members101,896
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission