2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (CaseyVancouver, brdwyguy, Burkey, c++, 36251, BlakeOR, Alex McG, Bett, 11 invisible), 1,018 guests, and 526 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
I
you have to place your hand over the soundboard to trigger the sound? Wow its a good thing neither the player or listener does not typically do that whilst you play piano

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 04/25/21 08:02 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
you have to place your hand over the soundboard to trigger the sound? Wow its a good thing neither the player or listener does not typically do that whilst you play piano

I don’t know about you, but I always have one hand on the keys and the other on the soundboard.

What’s the point of having a soundboard if you’re not going to touch it whilst you play?

No offense, but it seems like you might be in the minority here!

M
M

That would be a trivial problem that would not merit returning two pianos.

What would merit a return is a piano that buzzed while playing and when you pushed on the soundboard the buzz diminished slightly for as long as you held your hand there and then returned to the baseline buzz after removing your hand.

The buzz would not be affected by changing amplifiers and crossovers that were sent by Kawai to a authorized technician.

The buzz would get better if you repeatedly uploaded firmware that dampened the sound in those registers. The buzz MIGHT go away if you went into virtual piano technician and spent hours tuning the piano, of course on the next firmware update you would have to spend another few hours compensating for flaws in the design or the out of spec components on that specific piano.

That kind of buzz would not be trivial and might be the kind of thing that would get a piano replaced with a brand that has a better reputation for working out of the box.

I appreciate your devotion to the brand but your dismissal of my very real experience is not helping anyone who literally asked for help in selecting a piano.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pete14

I don’t know about you, but I always have one hand on the keys and the other on the soundboard.

What’s the point of having a soundboard if you’re not going to touch it whilst you play?

No offense, but it seems like you might be in the minority here!

How insulting. Obviously the buzz is there while playing and changes character when the soundboard is touched, thereby identifying the soundboard as the source of the buzz.

I must be in the minority since I am not a fanboy that dismisses others real world experiences with a problem. I bought the NV-5 on trade-up cause we wanted a Kawai soundboard tech DP. Had to return that too.

He asked for help, and your answer is to dismiss someone's real world experience. So are you helping him or just flexing some kind of brand loyalty bias for who knows what reason?

What do you own by the way? If it's a CA-99 with no problems then I am jealous, cause that's all we wanted.

I
I
I was challenging what seemed like another complaint about sound-sample buzz that when I listen to is non existent. The buzzing is just the metallic sympathetic resonance sampling.

If the problem is with cabinet/speaker/soundboard buzzing nine times out of ten, is a loose screw inside the piano that a technician can easily address based on reading other users experiences.

I don't have a Ca99 yet, it's on back order from January. As convenient as it might be to assume I'm a Kawai fan boy that's not actually the case. But the username is true in that kawai's digitally rendered tone inspires me.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 04/25/21 08:51 PM.
M
M
I was challenging what I thought seemed like another complaint about sound-sample buzz that when I listen to is non existent. The buzzing is just the metallic sympathetic resonance sampling.

If the problem is with cabinet/speaker/soundboard buzzing nine times out of ten, is a loose screw inside the piano that a technician can easily address based on reading other users experiences.

I don't have a Ca99 yet, it's on back order from January. As simple as it might be to assume I'm a Kawai fan boy that's not actually the case. But the username is true in that kawai's digitally rendered tone inspires me.

Fair enough. I did consider that it could simply be the way it is sampled. My wife couldn't stand it, and my surprise birthday present turned into a $2500 upgrade with the same problem on the NV-5, and ultimately a return.

I hope you love your piano! Good luck.

I
I
Did you at all watch videos that were recorded from direct line out before committing to purchasing? Then you could ascertain if there were noticeable caveats of the sound to your ear

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 04/25/21 09:04 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by sam777
Hello!

I ask for your help in choosing CLP 785 and CA99.
I read on the forum that the owners of KAWAI CA99 have many problems with their DP. For example white noise. Before I read about the problems, I had a great desire to buy exactly CA99.
As far as I understand, instead of a wooden deck, the Yamaha uses a vibro-speaker.
Sound and keyboard are very important to me. As well as reliability and durability. I don’t want to be disappointed because I want to buy for many years.

Hi Sam,

My advice is to go to a store and try out all the models in that price range to get a feel for the competition yourself.

I'm not going to contradict what anyone has said, but often, individual experiences of issues aren't so representative, also, the subjective opinions are not necessarily valid to your ears.

Kind regards,
Doug

Truer words have not been spoken. Unfortunately current inventory shortages do not allow this. You will be lucky to find your first choice model in stock, much less comparable models from other lines or other brands.

It is a matter of buying sight unseen and hoping for the best, or waiting an indeterminant amount of time until this situation normalizes.

But, since people keep buying pianos that they have never seen I think it is entirely possible that the manufacturers will be in no rush to restock display models at dealers. If people buy JIT inventory pianos on a 12 to 16 week backlog, then why would Yamaha produce "excess" inventory that has to be discounted when there are product model updates?

It's a different world and I think we must adapt?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Now is not the time to try buying.
1. No inventory.
2. No hope of near-term delivery.
3. Seller's market means higher prices.
In baseball, 1 - 2 - 3 strikes and yer out.

My response to this is to ignore the piano market.
I was planning to shop for an N1X. That plan has been scuttled. No piano for me in 2021.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
My response to this is to ignore the piano market.

I am leaning toward doing this with almost all markets for the time being - housing, car, piano, vacation, etc.

I'll keep renting an apartment, driving my old car, playing my old Clavinova, and not going on trips. Goal is to save money for a few years and hope that things look better in 2025.

By that time my piano will be 18 years old, so I can kick it out of the house and get something new.

M
M
So I can't speak to the sound problem in the CA-99 but i can repost my last post in the NV-5 thread:

Originally Posted by msromike
In the spirit of fairness. After the piano was returned for refund, it was determined to be a loose power supply and not some inherent design flaw as I first suspected. Unfortunately, my wife decided not to repurchase the same unit. But I have to give credit to Kawai and the dealer for accepting the piano back for a refund, which as you know is not widely done in the industry.

S
S
I actually owned both. Previously the CA99 and now the CLP 785. Personally, I liked the action on the Kawai a tad better, as it felt "lighter" to play. Also the low notes sounded really cool. HOWEVER (and that is a big however), I would never buy a Kawai again. The speakers just sounded complete garbage. There was a hissing/rattling sound in it, which made it impossible to play. Also, the touchscreen is absolute garbage (super unresponsive) and the software did not event start-up from time to time. As many already stated before, these problems are not new to Kawai and have already existed on the previous models. My dealer also told me, that they had many Kawais returned because of these issues. Kawai not addressing these issues properly and basically shipping out faulty products is absolutely unacceptable for me.
Therefore; i returned the Kawai CA99 and ordered a Yamaha CLP785.
Really, I could not be happier with the purchase. I previously mentioned, that I liked the action of the Kawai a bit more. In everything else though, the CLP 785 surpasses the Kawai in my opinion. The speakers sound much better than the Kawai, the touchscreen is super smooth and responsive and the samples are really great. Looks ofc is fairly subjective. I think both the Kawai CA99 and the CLP 785 look great.
So yeah, without a doubt, I would recommend the Yamaha.

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Swisspokerboy
I actually owned both. Previously the CA99 and now the CLP 785. Personally, I liked the action on the Kawai a tad better, as it felt "lighter" to play. Also the low notes sounded really cool. HOWEVER (and that is a big however), I would never buy a Kawai again. The speakers just sounded complete garbage. There was a hissing/rattling sound in it, which made it impossible to play. Also, the touchscreen is absolute garbage (super unresponsive) and the software did not event start-up from time to time. As many already stated before, these problems are not new to Kawai and have already existed on the previous models. My dealer also told me, that they had many Kawais returned because of these issues. Kawai not addressing these issues properly and basically shipping out faulty products is absolutely unacceptable for me.
Therefore; i returned the Kawai CA99 and ordered a Yamaha CLP785.
Really, I could not be happier with the purchase. I previously mentioned, that I liked the action of the Kawai a bit more. In everything else though, the CLP 785 surpasses the Kawai in my opinion. The speakers sound much better than the Kawai, the touchscreen is super smooth and responsive and the samples are really great. Looks ofc is fairly subjective. I think both the Kawai CA99 and the CLP 785 look great.
So yeah, without a doubt, I would recommend the Yamaha.

Exactly.

I spent £3200 on my CA99, its had issues from day 1, heavy key, squeeky keys, kawai are not interested and nor was the shop I bought it at really, any issues just get forwarded to kawai... If you're not ignored for months you're lucky and if anyone comes out they say it's normal or can't do anything about it lol, scandalous! And yes they clearly ship out products that are faulty and somehow get away with it.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Obviously the buzz is there while playing and changes character when the soundboard is touched, thereby identifying the soundboard as the source of the buzz.
No - the soundboard could be rattling some other part (very likely).
The soundboard itself may not be (is most likely not) the source of the problem.

I think I was the very first person to report here the buzzing issue with a CA99 last March (2020) - it is rather disturbing to see the problem hasn't yet been resolved after 14 months.

Last edited by Burkey; 05/06/21 09:28 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Originally Posted by Burkey
Obviously the buzz is there while playing and changes character when the soundboard is touched, thereby identifying the soundboard as the source of the buzz.
No - the soundboard could be rattling some other part (very likely).
The soundboard itself may not be (is most likely not) the source of the problem.

As msromike notes in his follow-up post:

In the spirit of fairness. After the piano was returned for refund, it was determined to be a loose power supply and not some inherent design flaw as I first suspected.

I gather that after the dealer tightened the screws on the power supply, the buzzing problem was resolved.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, that’s what it was, ‘the power supply was loose’.

I previously quoted him as saying it was the ‘power brick’, and though common sense would dictate that what matters is that something was loose and that it was not an ‘inherent design flaw’ as initially suggested, sometimes it seems like common sense doesn’t prevail ‘round here and one need always be very literal and ‘serious’.

Yes, the possibility of a ‘beehive’ was never meant literally, but I was using it as a euphemism for there being something there other than a ‘design flaw’ causing the buzz!

I wonder what is considered nonsense, someone coming here to bash and recommend against a *beautiful* instrument without first confirming the source of the problem (he initially bashed and then redacted), or someone confronting him directly (before the redaction)?

*beautiful* does not simply refer to the instrument’s aesthetics but also to the elegant yet functional design. It was previously assumed that I used the word in its most basic sense, but it turns out that beautiful is a much loaded word!

I could go on-and-on explaining myself but at some point these millennials need to understand that it’s not just right or wrong, black or white, good or bad, etc.., and that words mean nothing until they’ve accomplished something, and based on the recent turn of events (not a design flaw) it seems like those people piling up on the buzz were wrong and Pete was freaking right!

So, I ask, who is really speaking nonsense?

Essbrace, I can hear you typing a response already, but don’t even bother (it’s rhetorical, the question). grin

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
So, I ask, who is really speaking nonsense?

Essbrace, I can hear you typing a response already, but don’t even bother (it’s rhetorical, the question). grin

Ha! I am typing so eagerly there's smoke pouring out of my laptop keys. It's a good job the repetition speed of my Macbook's keys is better than a scabby old N1X. I'm almost equaling NV10 quickness here.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
laugh

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,642
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission