2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Bobby Simons, anotherscott, Boboulus, Abdol, brdwyguy, Blague, c++, Calavera, 10 invisible), 343 guests, and 475 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi.

I have a question regarding those hybrid digital pianos/keyboard controllers that are touted as having a true acoustic piano action.

Don't they require routine maintenance just like acoustic piano actions do?

And who services them when that need arises?

I posed this question in PW's "Tech/Tuner" forum. There are only a few (two) responses. No one has said they've done work on this kind of instrument. So I'm thinking traditional piano technicians who've been servicing acoustic pianos all of their lives (God Bless Them!) don't typically do this type of work.

So who does?

Those of you who have this type of hybrid instrument, has any information advising what to do when/if the need arises been provided to you by the manufacturer?

Have any of you actually had to have routine maintenance work done on the acoustic piano action itself? And if so, how soon after you bought it?

Jeanne W

P.S. I've been thinking for some time about getting the whole shebang, a workstation that may possibly have one of these hybrid instruments. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I possibly take the plunge!

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
They don't need maintenance because in almost all cases of acoustics it's out of tune. Sometimes a hybrid needs some regulation after delivery. My NV5 was one of the few.

Last edited by Tyr; 05/06/21 02:24 PM.

Kawai: NV5 | VPC1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Hybrids are fairly new (they've only been around for 15-20 years or so), and most people treat them as digital pianos, going back to the manufacturer for support questions, including using their techs. Also, hybrid actions are really only there for the feel, and regulation issues don't always have the same impact (a lot of regulation tolerances that would cause an acoustic to sound different have little to no effect on a hybrid), so I think hybrids more rarely require regulation to begin with.

Hence, the universe of techs with experience with them is much smaller.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kawai NV10
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
I have an NU1. I had it serviced after 5 years just before the warranty ran out, and it was a Yamaha (digital) technician. He was trained on the acoustic action, he said, and did improve a couple of squeaks I complained about. I asked about regulation in the future and he said he could do it if I could not find a piano tech to do it.

Since then, I found my piano teacher's tuner/tech also services any piano and keyboard, and he has agreed to service/regulate my action when/if needed. So far I have not used him.

I also invested in a couple of acoustic piano servicing books to teach myself, and last year made some minor adjustments for lost motion and let off. Howard Industries will sell you tools and some parts, and have a YT channel on DIY basic regulation. I also cleaned the sensor gratings. Two hours use every day, coming up for 9 years, I don't think of this as a problem. YMMV

J
J
I had a Yamaha qualified tech come out to fix the fallboard on my N1X shortly after purchase almost 2 years ago. He said it would be a good idea to have him come back in 5 years to make sure everything was working properly at that time.

It’s been completely trouble-free since then.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I bought a used N3 that was almost 5 years old from a Yamaha dealer. It had a couple of issues and the trained Yamaha tech who came out (the only one in Phoenix) told me that he knew the previous owner of my N3 and he had done regulation on the N3 for the previous owner just before the owner traded the N3 in for an upgrade. This tech has been doing acoustic grand service for a long time before he got roped in to get trained and service the AvantGrands.

He mentioned that he was repairing a badly maintained N3 at a church, and if they had maintained it better and sooner, some of the broken action would have been preventable.

I would say that if you play the hybrid a lot, like several hours every day, you'll probably want to have it maintained around the 5 year mark if not sooner. If not as often, who knows, it may last you 10 years. My son has an N3 that's 11 years old and it hardly gets played, so it hasn't needed any regulation/maintenance on it yet. The previous owner of my N3 is a professional musician so maybe that's why my N3 needed a regulation at around the 5 year mark.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Useful info there @Volusiano.

I recently bought an N1X. Good info to have. The 5-year warranty would suggest that it's a good idea to have some kind of maintenance done at that mark.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CLP100 no sound on left
by Tony Arnold - 06/24/21 10:33 AM
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,679
Posts3,106,848
Members101,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission