2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Yes I did, I have been looking for projects like this ever since... gauging which one's are feasible based on local supplies. Yeah, it would be difficult , but I don't mind soldering and wiring. However but fabricating custom PCBs would be a challenge though.

Can you confirm though that it can do note repetition and legato like this one here or even better:

Triple Sensor
(scroll down a bit and select triple sensor, for the demo sounds)

Thanks a bunch... smile
Josh, repetition and trills depend entirely on the action. I regulated mine very carefully and thoroughly which is why the trills are easy. The sensors simply detect hammer velocity.

Ahh, I see. So you did meticulous hardware and software adjustments. Thanks for the feedback!
Hoping to get my hands on my own keybed...

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
BTW, how's Jay's piano conversion going on? I think he doesn't post on the PW or GitHub often, so I'm not sure where he is now, the last I've seen is he already wired one key. I guess by now he should already be finished?

I don't know where the last two months went (well, actually I do: two online conferences, one of which I led, one big tutorial, bought a very nice grand piano and need to arrange the move which is complicated by my wife wanting me to sell the one I have first, a plumbing emergency with a blown up pipe which I fixed myself, and few other minor or not-so-minor things). So, I haven't touched base with Jay (or made progress on mine, which electronically is a clone of his, but mechanically slightly different) since March.

He does post on github when he has a good update. Last time I heard, he was producing sound with good dynamics for one note, and needed "only" to assemble the hardware for 88 of them (the design was already completed for all of them, in my understanding). In fact we were supposed to meet to share some old-grand-piano parts, but that never happened. I told him that if he was ordering more electronics (presoldered PCB) I was interested and that would have reduced unit price and shipping costs, but I did not hear back on that. As soon as I get a moment from being so busy (which I hope will be in a week or two) I will ask him again.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Del Vento
bought a very nice grand piano and need to arrange the move which is complicated by my wife wanting me to sell the one I have first

Whoa there! I nearly missed this part. First, congratulations on the new grand!!

Second, what did you get, if you don't mind sharing?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah, congrats on your new piano, what is it?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
bought a very nice grand piano and need to arrange the move which is complicated by my wife wanting me to sell the one I have first

Whoa there! I nearly missed this part. First, congratulations on the new grand!!

Second, what did you get, if you don't mind sharing?

Yeah, congrats on your new piano, what is it?

Well, you guys missed it because I wanted to have it in my home before "announcing" (and the logistics is proving to be more complicated than I hoped), but since I have piqued your curiosity I now can't delay. Just make sure you are solidly seated to your chair, because I still fall from mine that I can't believe what I've got!!!

It's a 1930 Mason & Hamlin AA, with some updates (among them new strings and new hammers). I'll post pictures and hopefully a recording, when I'll get it, which as I said is stopped from the sale of what I have now (otherwise the M&H must go in storage for now cry )

A
A
Hi CyberGene. I’m not a prolific poster but when I saw the results of your project I just had to leave you a message to say, wow! That is some achievement. I am in awe. Congratulations.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Andy 🍻

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@CyberGene, Yesterday, out of the unexpected blue, the YouTube algorithm presented me with one of your Cybrid videos. I hadn't seen any of those before. So:

*** Cybrid looks so splendidly neat and beautiful!! ***

I have said it before, I actually should do some more reading in your thread(s) about your controller coming into existence.

There are also some questions puzzling me:
-> Am I right that you play your regular music/practise on an N1X instead of your own Cybrid? If so, why?
-> Would you say Cybrid is a one-of or could it be useful (musically as well as economically) for someone like me to pursue building a similar true action? (With, in my case, the aim to use it as my main piano).

Thanks for any light on this,

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@CyberGene, Yesterday, out of the unexpected blue, the YouTube algorithm presented me with one of your Cybrid videos. I hadn't seen any of those before. So:

*** Cybrid looks so splendidly neat and beautiful!! ***

I have said it before, I actually should do some more reading in your thread(s) about your controller coming into existence.

There are also some questions puzzling me:
-> Am I right that you play your regular music/practise on an N1X instead of your own Cybrid? If so, why?
-> Would you say Cybrid is a one-of or could it be useful (musically as well as economically) for someone like me to pursue building a similar true action? (With, in my case, the aim to use it as my main piano).

Thanks for any light on this,

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

@CyberGene, I started reading this thread from page 1 and already got a picture with these questions that puzzled me 🙂.

In any case, once again a big Thumbs Up.

Cheers and happy projects,

HZ

PS For all my life so far I have been going about my projects just as you do -- knowing nothing, setting a desirable or purposeful goal, and learning every single detail needed as the work progresses. A strategy of blood, sweat, and tears, of cursing, throwing things, screaming and pain, and sometimes also huge satisfaction when a plan finally comes together. Wouldn't have it any other way 😋.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
👍🏻 Thank you for the warm words!

Unfortunately the Cybrid stays stashed at my sister’s apartment and I miss it so much… 😢

Thanks to COVID though, it seems I can now work officially from anywhere, our company is very flexible. Which is why I have some plans to renovate/rebuild our family house in my home town for a semi-permanent living. This can allow me to have an acoustic, as well as my entire arsenal of digital pianos and keyboards. Time will tell 🙏🏻

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/20/21 04:04 PM.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Oh! How did that happen! (Cybrid stashed).

And boy, that's another huge commitment (the family house). All the best with that!

Cheers and happy transitions,

HZ

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just don’t have space at my flat. And the N1X is the better hybrid. Yeah, I admit it 😀

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I just don’t have space at my flat. And the N1X is the better hybrid. Yeah, I admit it 😀

😄

Oh well, just Enjoy!

🙂

HZ

D
D
So much impressive work, that I decided to create here an account. Very inspiring!

I desire to implement your idea with my uprigth-action piano. Is there any members out here who tried to do it this way?
Cybergene, I have a question. If you had to make another one Cybrid, how much all the stuff would cost in total, approximately?

Korg D1
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Daydreaming
So much impressive work, that I decided to create here an account. Very inspiring!

I desire to implement your idea with my uprigth-action piano. Is there any members out here who tried to do it this way?

Yes, in fact he has inspired me to do it. I'm working on it ;-)

Why upright? Just because you have it, or other reasons? Where are you located?

D
D
Yes, exactly because I have one. Even are garbage grand pianos in Ukraine are over-priced. But on other hand, it's so easy to find an old upright just for free or at an affordable price. People just get rid of them because they don't need pianos they get with bought appartaments.

I'm working on it ;-)
I'm glad I met someone who can share his experience. I have some questions for you smile

1) What stage are you at now?
2) Is an abillity to play manually remains? Or set of hammers removed completely?
3) Set of sensors and other stuff same as at Cybrid, or different?
4) Any threads/blogs where we can follow your progress?

Korg D1
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Cybergene, I have a question. If you had to make another one Cybrid, how much all the stuff would cost in total, approximately?
Thank you!

The total cost for the electronics is a few hundred euros, but it depends on the availability and current price of electronic elements. The most expensive ones are the CNY70 sensors and the trim pots. And you also add the mounting frames, etc. They are inexpensive and the total cost in my case was probably no more then 30 Euro.

What’s necessary though is that you are handy and can work with metal, wood, you can solder and be patient and improvise a lot and adapt to the piano you have. BTW, I think a grand piano action might be a bit easier due to the placement of the sensors above the bases of the hammer shanks where there’s nothing else. In an upright piano if you keep the entire piano (because the action is not as independent from the piano frame and body ad on a grand) you may have to see if it’s easy to put the sensor frame where it can measure hammer speed.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/05/21 02:05 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I guess you know that but just in case. Some designs, descriptions and the code are published here:

https://github.com/ekumanov/cybrid

I recently updated the description to include parts of conversations with our forum member vagfilm who was interested in doing this project (vagfilm, no worries, just technical details, no personal stuff there 😀). It includes links to electronic parts, etc. He was even interested in ordering ready made PCB-s with soldered elements. He may chime in and give more details. There’s a more recent project by Jay Kominek (also linked on my GitHub page) which is better designed. I’m not sure if it was finalized though. Del Vento may provide more details. I think it’s the more mature project and will be easier for people to recreate themselves.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/05/21 02:13 PM.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Yes, exactly because I have one. Even are garbage grand pianos in Ukraine are over-priced. But on other hand, it's so easy to find an old upright just for free or at an affordable price. People just get rid of them because they don't need pianos they get with bought appartaments.

Got it. The same is true in the USA with grand pianos.

1) What stage are you at now?
2) Is an abillity to play manually remains? Or set of hammers removed completely?
3) Set of sensors and other stuff same as at Cybrid, or different?
4) Any threads/blogs where we can follow your progress?

1) I bought a trashed grand piano (I also bought an excellent grand piano, in case you look for my posts here on the forum, do not confound one with the other). The action was in good shape besides a few missing hammers. I bought this book http://www.pianosinsideout.com/Excerpts.html and learned to regulate the action, which I have done. The cabinet was poorly disassembled (basically sawed in pieces without any thought) which made transportation a piece of cake, but now reassembling is complicated. I am not reassembling the tail, just the front in a upright-like shape. This is what is taking my time at the moment.

2) I did not get the strings, so in my case no (and I have another instrument for that purpose, as I wrote above). The beauty of this design (compared to any other competitor) is that the sensors measure the hammers, so there is no "software guesswork" to create a "good feeling" of the instrument. What is measured is the "feeling" that the strings got! The easiest way to assemble it correctly is to have the sensors placed where the strings would be and the hammers hit them. Hence you'll need to remove the strings. I think if you REALLY want and if you REALLY work hard you may maintain the ability to play acoustically on the strings, but it's very complicated. Plus, servicing the piano will also be very complicated, most tuners will probably refuse to work on it if you do it. I'd suggest you find a second instrument for that purpose.

3) sensors are the same. The rest is different.

4) Any time I'd spend to post my progress would be time removed from doing it. As such, I don't post any progress status. In any case, I have only started playing with the electronics and I plan to follow Jay's and/or Cybergene's projects. Should I do anything different, I'd post it to their github repositories with the details of the whys.

I think it’s the more mature project and will be easier for people to recreate themselves.

It is more sophisticated, which is good in that it's a better project, but it might be bad if you don't know what you are doing and need to make any change. As for the "maturity" and (especially) robustness of the project, I can't speak because I'd need to build both and compare, which I have not done.

PS: the upright action CAN be removed. It's not so easy as in a grand, but it CAN be done. The keyboard is even more complicated, but that too CAN be removed. So buying only the keyboard and the action of an upright is possible, and it could then installed in a custom made cabinet, and avoid the hassle of dealing with the heaviest parts of the instrument.

D
D
In an upright piano if you keep the entire piano (because the action is not as independent from the piano frame and body ad on a grand) you may have to see if it’s easy to put the sensor frame where it can measure hammer speed.
Hmm, there is something to think about. I can get another one upright piano just to take it apart and left only keyboard. Therefore, I may modify the key by adding to opposite side a weight bar. And then, put the electronics at the back, wich will react to weight bars movement.
There’s a more recent project by Jay Kominek (also linked on my GitHub page) which is better designed. I’m not sure if it was finalized though. Del Vento may provide more details. I think it’s the more mature project and will be easier for people to recreate themselves.
Work in progress. I'll make a note of them, thanks smile

Korg D1
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission