2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 211 of 237 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 236 237
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats, VicPinto.

That rug over the hardwood really looks good. Matches the walls nicely.

The N1X look ok too. smile

God Bless,
David

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VicPinto
I was under the impression I could use Smart Pianist with Bluetooth. Apparently this is not the case so I need to go and buy the WiFi dongle. I was not aware of this.

It looks beautiful, congratulations!

Dumb question, what are some of the benefits of the Smart pianist app?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Originally Posted by VicPinto
I was under the impression I could use Smart Pianist with Bluetooth. Apparently this is not the case so I need to go and buy the WiFi dongle. I was not aware of this.

It looks beautiful, congratulations!

Dumb question, what are some of the benefits of the Smart pianist app?

@VicPinto - don't buy the WiFi dongle - it's not compatible with the N1X. You need the Yamaha MD-BT01 - which will allow you to connect Bluetooth MIDI. That will also allow you to connect to the Smart Pianist app. Congrats on your new purchase. It looks beautiful in that space. You might want to move it at least a little away from the wall.

The Smart Pianist app - though listed as compatible with N1X (also not consistently across the Yamaha website) - doesn't offer the full and complete functionality as it does with other latest Yamaha models like the P515. It does allow changing between three piano voices and the use of the Piano Room feature to tweak the sounds. Recording is also possible. In short, for the N1X, it offers the bare basics. For the P515 and other latest models, it allows fuller and more comprehensive functionality. I am not sure why this is though.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The SmartPianist allows the choice between the 15 voices, but all are not directly accessible from the front page of the app.

The thing I dislike is the lock down of the control buttons when connected. Then I can’t record myself from the buttons.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/12/21 08:04 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
The SmartPianist allows the choice between the 15 voices, but all are not directly accessible from the front page of the app.

The thing I dislike is the lock down of the control buttons when connected. Then I can’t record myself from the buttons.

@Frédéric - Thanks! I didn't know that was possible. I could only swipe between the Piano voices on the opening screen. I'll experiment today.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by Ampersand
There was a post a few months back with someone selling object to put on top of the N1X speakers to redirect the sound towards the pianist.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of that person?

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/108058/neil-rosenberg.html

God Bless,
David

Thank you!

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder if the ‘Piano Room’ editable parameters (tweaks) can indeed be saved on the N1/3X (including reverb)?

My impression was that not even reverb could be saved on the N1/3X; I hope that’s no longer the case because if so, this is a massive bug that needs some squashing!

I’m not much of a tweaker, but still, I like to initially tweak the piano once or twice, and once I’m happy with the sound save it and forget it.

I wouldn’t mind if the AG gave me at least ‘two’ tweaking/saving sessions and then never ever allowed for any further changes again; I’d be okay with that, and yes, this sounds absurd but isn’t it more absurd to pay so much for this instrument and not have the expected -by today’s standards- functionality?

No, it’s not a synth; yes, it’s meant for ‘pure’ piano playing, but that doesn’t mean we should not get some basic functionality because even a stubborn acoustic provides some ‘tweakabilty’ (performed by a trained technician).

Yes, you can make the sound of an acoustic brighter/darker, and even change the ‘velocity curve’ (regulation) etc... and ‘save’ it till the next scheduled ‘tune-up’.

It is appalling for the P-515 to have more functionality than the N1/3X. Shame on you, Yamaha, and perhaps you should learn a thing or two about flawless functionality/UI from Kawai! blush

P.S.

If Yamaha has already squashed this bug, please accept my sincere apologies and go on with your lives!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
It is appalling for the P-515 to have more functionality than the N1/3X. Shame on you, Yamaha, and perhaps you should learn a thing or two about flawless functionality/UI from Kawai! blush

Oh; OK! Some pretty strong terms there @Pete14 - shame, flawless etc. But, OK.

You can save the parameters on the app itself - meaning, the next time you switch on the Piano, and connect to the app, the settings you saved earlier on the app are now 'active.' Yup, you can't save the parameter edits to the piano - this is not a bug because Yamaha never said you could. It would certainly be a welcome feature though.

I swore recently to myself that I will never use the 'K' word ever for the rest of my life, so I will comment no further on that part of your response. Maybe others will.

I do regret that Yamaha is not living up to your high standards and expectations. Maybe they should. I hope someone from Yamaha is reading these forums.

G. K. Chesterton
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mmathew
Oh; OK! Some pretty strong terms there @Pete14 - shame, flawless etc. But, OK.

You can save the parameters on the app itself - meaning, the next time you switch on the Piano, and connect to the app, the settings you saved earlier on the app are now 'active.' Yup, you can't save the parameter edits to the piano - this is not a bug because Yamaha never said you could. It would certainly be a welcome feature though.

I swore recently to myself that I will never use the 'K' word ever for the rest of my life, so I will comment no further on that part of your response. Maybe others will.

What if I can’t afford a tablet (especially after spending so much on an AG); should I not be allowed into the club?

By the way, what did ‘K’ ever do to you?

Perhaps you should get together with ‘K’ to patch things up and start anew....

A fresh start; a rekindling of two kindred spirits!

I
I
@VicPinto - don't buy the WiFi dongle - it's not compatible with the N1X. You need the Yamaha MD-BT01 - which will allow you to connect Bluetooth MIDI.

Hey mmathew - I own the N1x and want to connect to the smart pianist app, but also have the capability to record midi to my computer via bluetooth. Amazon has 2 options for this MD-BT01...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CFOHF9M/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2EFPGPBPM8JXS&th=1

Do I need both the bluetooth 5 pin midi connector and usb to host dongle? Or what is the purpose of each individually?

My Youtube.

Pianos: Yamaha N1X, Yamaha P-155B
VST's: VSL Yamaha CFX Standard

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IcedTeaNoIce
@VicPinto - don't buy the WiFi dongle - it's not compatible with the N1X. You need the Yamaha MD-BT01 - which will allow you to connect Bluetooth MIDI.

Hey mmathew - I own the N1x and want to connect to the smart pianist app, but also have the capability to record midi to my computer via bluetooth. Amazon has 2 options for this MD-BT01...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CFOHF9M/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2EFPGPBPM8JXS&th=1

Do I need both the bluetooth 5 pin midi connector and usb to host dongle? Or what is the purpose of each individually?

You need the MD-BT01 only. However, MIDI connection for music apps only works with iOS and Mac; I am not sure if you're using Windows.

I have no idea why Amazon is showing this for $90. It's only $55 as here at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01--yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

G. K. Chesterton
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There are two ways to connect a N1X to a smartphone or tablet wirelessly : Wifi or Bluetooth. Then you choose the dongle according to how you want to connect it.

I have tried the 5 DIN MIDI-BT dongle, it works well (with a recent iOS however). I haven’t tried the Wifi dongle but it is described in the N1X manual. It has two modes : Access Point : but I am not sure the smartphone can be at the same time in 2 WLAN (then you have to choose when you want to control the N1X and when you want to access Internet), and WPS (my box is not WPS compatible...) then I guess the Wifi would not work for le as well as the BT.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/12/21 10:24 AM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hate it when websites are not updated or are providing wrong information.

When I checked this before buying the N1X, the UD-WL01 did not have the AvantGrands in its list of compatible instruments. It still doesn't.

[Linked Image]

So I assumed the Wi-Fi dongle wouldn't work with the N1X. However, @Frédéric is right - the N1X does allow use of the wireless dongle, as with other compatible instruments:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mmathew; 05/12/21 12:04 PM.

G. K. Chesterton
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I hate it when websites are not updated or are providing wrong information.

It could be worse... Yamaha MusicSoft claimed my ex DP, the CLP150 to be compatible with Yamaha MusicSoft downloader... which it is not !!!

See http://www.legacy.yamahamusicsoft.com/fr/go/musicsoftdownloader

I had to get the Yamaha support to get the right information.

I
I
You need the MD-BT01 only. However, MIDI connection for music apps only works with iOS and Mac; I am not sure if you're using Windows.

I have an iphone, however my music recording software is on windows, so that would really suck if I couldn't use this dongle at all with my windows software. It was one thing I was actually looking forward too was wireless MIDI communication.

My Youtube.

Pianos: Yamaha N1X, Yamaha P-155B
VST's: VSL Yamaha CFX Standard

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
See MIDIberry (I have also seen https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/p/midiberry-io-for-md-bt01/9n6tkxwkdgll?activetab=pivot:overviewtab, but I am not sure it is needed, https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/p/midiberry/9n39720h2m05?activetab=pivot:overviewtab Is free and may be enough with a MIDIloopback software), it should render the MD-BT01 compatible with Windows.

I have never tried it. And it is MIDI only.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/12/21 04:42 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
According to the first link, MIDIberry-IO for MD-BT01 would be bidirectional, and the second monodirectional. For a virtual piano use, I would try the second one (free) and see if it works well.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/12/21 05:00 PM.

M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
I went to the piano shop again today for the 6th (?) time. Tried both nv10 and n1x side by side yet again...

I was so impressed with the yamaha on this occasion that I've committed to buying one tomorrow. So that's a wrap folks, I'm going to be the owner of a brand new N1X early July...so not a massive wait either luckily.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, congrats! Have you asked purchasing the floor model since you liked it?

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/14/21 01:52 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by mwf
I'm going to be the owner of a brand new N1X early July...

Congratulations!

Hope you'll thoroughly, broadly, widely, deeply, refinedly enjoy your N1X for many years to come.

Cheers and happy overseeable wait in sweet anticipation,

HZ

Page 211 of 237 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission