2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (Alfred La Fleur, BayHalt, bobrunyan, Andrew_G, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,068 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
I am pleased to present our 62nd Adult Beginner's Forum Quarterly Recital!

Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room for Recital 62

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces.

Online Streaming Player

Here are zip files of all the recordings:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip
zip5.zip
zip6.zip
zip7.zip

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Thanks for listening!

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:6
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://vimeo.com/515045953
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata, Quasi una Fantasia, Op. 27. No 2. 1st Movement
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:04:36
Source of music:Sheet music from Henle
Instrument used:MP11SE with VST Boesendorfer Imperial from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly on Mac Mini.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I recorded this just a few days after my Mum died in February. I had been trying to practise the second movement but everything sounded discordant and ugly, which is unusual for a piece I normally find quite uplifting. I gave up trying to lift my mood. The first movement has the much more melancholy feeling, which matched my mood, so I just thought I should try a recording. There is very little of my usual internal narrative when I'm playing, of I must do this here, or be careful here it is tricky. I very much just played. I noticed afterwards there is almost no rubato in my playing, and this fits, I don't seem to feel rubato like I do dynamics. Currently rubato is still quite a mechanical process for me, where I consciously think I should add some rubato here, but listening afterwards it often sounds contrived and forced. With no internal narrative, clearly I just dropped the idea of rubato altogether.

Other than lack of rubato my only other complaint with this recording is when there is a semi-quaver at the end of a bar and the same note is repeated as the first note in the next bar. My playing of these is inconsistent, sometimes I play them nicely but I struggle with consistency for them.

Other than those comments I'm pleased with this recording and I honestly don't think I can improve on it, until I've improved my playing with a couple of years more experience. The tempo is quite quick compared to how the piece is often played, but this to me feels like quite a natural tempo for the piece.

I wanted to play the two movement together but I've stopped that project as I just can't get enough control for the second movement to achieve the feel I'm after.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, self-directed learner since December 2011
Title of piece:Saman
Composer:Olafur Arnalds
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Sheet music shared on the internet by composer
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 7 (Standard) U4 modified
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Monica described Olafur Arnalds as 'one of my favorite contemporary composers' - a view I came to share. So when I was deciding on something special for my 25th Recital entry, I thought of Arnalds' captivating 'Saman' which I first heard and fell in love with a couple of years ago.

When I finally located the score, then newly-posted on his social media site, I discovered two problems. My skills weren't up to the dynamics or the constant switching between 4/4 and 6/4 time signatures. And performed on anything but Olafur's upright, with its unique muffled 'felt piano' voice, 'Saman' lacked its most distinctive element.

This is still a work in progress, despite the amount of time I've spent on dynamics, and on modifying the settings on Pianoteq's U4 to try to capture something of the 'felt piano' flavour.

I know that this effort won't be to everybody's taste but I've had an enormous amount of fun - and I think Monica would have enjoyed it.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Many years with some lessons thrown in nnow and then.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Fx8CgIc4I
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:When the First Bird Sings
Composer:Original composition
Duration:05:37
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro (mac)
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Many, many years ago I spent a night up on a roof in a small town in MA. It was on a lake and it was a very, very long night awake. As the sky began to show faint signs of the morning I got it in my mind to really try to hear the first bird of the morning sing. It turned out to be one of those times you never forget. It was very early spring and the leaves were just starting to bud. It also turned out to be the first day of fishing season so just as the first light appeared in the distance a bird sang...and a motor started up, and then another bird and then another motor. And I could just make out some small boats heading out onto the lake as more and more birds began to sing. Anyway... I sit at my piano every morning and have a bird feeder right at the window. As I was working on this piece and watching the birds I started thinking of that morning. So here is the first bird singing. But no boat motors.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8p_THiVrM
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
Title of piece:Sonatina
Composer:Ido Moshe
Duration:01:41
Source of music:https://drive.google.com/file/d/16WGrhXpVqQ6bJYHkK6hC7JUFjdM5-b0w/view
Instrument used:Some old, unmaintained Kawai upright
Recording method:phone
Additional info:This is my second composition for piano. You can follow along with the scores in the link.

More of my compositions can be found here:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYAELiZwEJspF2JfR6VFhP10KC-mI_nDL

The initial musical idea for this piece was formed very quickly, then I notated it and spent some time tweaking and refining it. The recording was done shortly after the last tweak to the scores, so it is very raw.
Apologies for the recording quality, I'm not very used to playing/recording an acoustic piano.

Thank you for listening, I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you Sam for making this happen.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 05/15/21 06:26 AM.
A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 35+ years of playing without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Arioso ex Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1056
Composer:Bach, transcribed by Max Pirani
Duration:04:47
Source of music:https://sheetmusicpoint.com/composer/p/pirani/pirani-bach-arioso.pdf
Instrument used:This one:
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/14942.jpg
Recording method:Silent system MIDI out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, Savihost recording plugin, additional reverb with Audacity
Additional info:I came across this fantastic piece in the transcription themed recital. Bach composed it for an oboe concerto, later made it the slow movement of his harpsichord concerto BWV 1056 and eventually used it as the opening of one of his cantatas. The Australian-born British pianist and teacher Max Pirani transcribed this for piano in 1917 when he was only 18 years old. I really do like fast Baroque trills... Thanks to MaryBee for introducing this marvellous piece and for inspiring me.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Adagio, BWV 974
Composer:Marcello/Bach
Duration:03:24
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:JJHLH
Experience:2 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/0U8xfjqSIFc
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 11 - No. 21 in B flat major
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:01:51
Source of music:Imslp PDF
Instrument used:Yamaha N1X
Recording method:USB stick

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Brian Moore
Experience:Around 5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/mGNWcOtUcPA
Title of piece:Sarabande, French Suite #1
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:59
Source of music:Sheet music "Classical Patterns" by Walter and Carol Noona
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:iphone SE 2020
Additional info:I love the French Suites and this is my attempt at the Sarabande from the Suite #1 in D minor. This piece is featured in the movie, "Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould." It is #29, "Leaving." That movie is from 1993 and I probably saw it around then, it has much to do with my interest in Bach, classical music, and playing piano. That would have been several years before I ever tried to play.

For most of the time I've played, I've been largely self-taught and often chose pieces that were probably a bit aiming too high and this fits that pattern. In the last year, I've been working with a teacher and that led me to pare this performance down to the basics. I've removed almost all the ornamentation (which I used to try to play) and just focused really on consistently just getting my fingers on the right keys and an an attempt at a consistent tempo and rhythm. Still there are many flaws!

It has been a while since I submitted a piece! I'm glad to have something to offer finally. Thanks to everyone at Piano Forum! Both for the opportunity to share the music, the comments, and all the wonderful pieces I've heard on here, that has been an inspiration to me over the years.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:rwsavory
Experience:Many, with gaps.
Title of piece:Sonata K391
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:02:53
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai GL-40
Recording method:Tascam DR-40

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Video link:https://youtu.be/BEUvTFCrT_A
Title of piece:Fantasia in C Major (HWV 490)
Composer:Handel
Duration:07:36
Instrument used:Cunningham Parlour Grand
Recording method:Zoom H4

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Video link:http://youtu.be/nAkDPo7nxxM
Title of piece:Milonga del Angel
Composer:Piazzolla
Duration:03:59
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:Piazzolla originally composed this piece in 1965 for his quintet consisting of bandoneon, double bass, electric guitar, piano and violin, and later transcribed it for piano. I learned this piece several years ago and submitted it to an earlier ABF recital. I decided to revisit the piece and take a different interpretation from my earlier effort.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:>7 years
Title of piece:Sonata, K.119
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:06:50
Source of music:sheet music, mostly memorized
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:The first publication of this was in 1738 in Essercizi per Gravicembalo so for harpsichord. But I think it works nicely on piano as well, even though it woul sound a bit lighter on harpsichord.

This was already at the very end of the baroque era, and influencing the classical style. He worked most of his life for rich portugese and spanish nobility. From 1730 till the end of his life he worked in madrid as teacher of the to-be queen of Spain. He composed this piece also there.

It starts rather bombastic, I think this is for warming up and to let the people know the music has started. Then comes a lyrical part, developing into dissonant chords and then fast section of broken-chords and runs. Then another lyric section, developing similar, and a third one. The lyrical parts are very nice and the dissonant chords are unusual chromatic and big with up to 6 notes in the right hand chords. I hope you enjoy it!

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:vte
Experience:1 year 3 months
Title of piece:Prelude No 3
Composer:Raphael Eligoulachvili
Duration:01:47
Instrument used:Casio PX-870
Additional info:I really love this charming and elegant piece. I certainly don't think I did it justice but here's my best effort and hope everyone enjoys it! smile

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:11 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/DS18M8Bll_8
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:05:05
Instrument used:Sabel S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Ableton Live 10 Lite, Audacity
Additional info:This is my first Sonatina and my introduction to multimovement works. It was such an amazing challenge and an enjoyable experience. I love classical sonatas, they sound so fun to play, and this gave me a taste of it and also a first glimpse into sonata form.
This is the result of a approx. two months and a half of work with my teacher, and I am as usual amazed by the amount of work that goes beyond the notes to polish a piece. We focused on making it as musical as possible, and I hope that I managed to convey in the recording all the details we discussed together.
This is also my first submission playing on my upright smile which I purchased shortly after the last recital.
My plan was to submit a recording of both movements in the same take. In each take, I actually recorded both movements in one go, but as expected my favorite versions of each movement were not in the same one, so I ended up putting two different takes together.
I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed playing it smile Looking forward already to my next classical sonatina/sonata

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Flygbladet
Experience:Alot as young - 20 years having no piano, back on it since 2 years now.. smile
Title of piece:Om kvallen (in the evening)
Composer:Elfrida Andree
Duration:02:58
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha P45
Recording method:Line in from Yamaha p45 to computer. Recording with Audacity- afterwork: Adding some echo.
Additional info:Where to begin.
This is a relatively unknown female composer. But what a composer. She went to become on of the first organists in the second half of 19th century in Sweden. Probably one of the very first european female conductor conducting a professional symphonical orchestra.
She was not allways welcome, but her father encouraged her throughout her education. And she was active in changing the law making her professional career as a musician not open just for her in her country but for all women there.
Even though having some local reputation during her career, as a composer she was hardly recognised. Mostly overlooked cause of her gender. Often played only once in public or never. Even writing an opera together with first female winner of Nobel Prize in litterature (Selma Lagerlof) that didnt have a premiere until 2019(!)
It's a shame, I love her pieces. They are romantic, without being overly bombastic as much of the late 19th centuary music. And she is never boring, never lazy in her writing - but rather keeps it interesting.

This is the third one in a set of three pieces (Of which I hope I can play all three for some recital in the future).

She must have had long fingers and had to split on a couple of more places than she is suggesting in her song. But manage to get hold of 13 -leaps most of the time.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 05/15/21 06:36 AM.
A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:About 68
Title of piece:"Late Night Long Time Agone"
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:07:20
Source of music:Free improvisation, final few minutes of an hour or so.
Instrument used:Weinbach grand, new 1971, action rebuilt 2005
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Had last night's very tasty leftover curry for lunch. I felt my technique had become overblown recently so in this one I tried to expend more energy on purely musical impulse, not altogether successfully.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Venu
Experience:6
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxgGvF-89U8
Title of piece:Prelude in B Minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:01:53
Instrument used:Kawai CA 49
Recording method:iPhone
Additional info:I am an adult student learning Piano for 6 years. I am learning Prelude in B Minor for RCM level 8 exam.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Sriya
Experience:2 years and 6 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqvRj9CNhY
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:02:06
Instrument used:Kawai CA 49
Recording method:iPhone
Additional info:I am learning this piece for RCM level 6 exam.

A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Mosotti
Experience:3 years, 7 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/W6UqYsz-JkE
Title of piece:Fughetta in C minor, BWV 961
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:25
Instrument used:Kawai MP11SE with Garritan CFX
Recording method:Recorded into Garritan CFX app
Additional info:I think this piece is so beautiful, it's also the hardest piece I've learned so far, it really goes all over the place in both hands. I tried as best as I could to keep it gentle and flowing, but I still have some unexpected twitches in my fingers lol. It's also the first piece that I've recorded in one take, well actually the second, because the first one is always ruined by the whole camera setting procedure which throws me out of the mood. I've noticed on the video that there was quite a lot of traffic around me while recording it, but never noticed it while playing lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,147
Posts3,132,907
Members102,756
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission