2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I am pleased to present our 62nd Adult Beginner's Forum Quarterly Recital!

Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room for Recital 62

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces.

Online Streaming Player

Here are zip files of all the recordings:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip
zip5.zip
zip6.zip
zip7.zip

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Thanks for listening!

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!

Sam

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:6
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://vimeo.com/515045953
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata, Quasi una Fantasia, Op. 27. No 2. 1st Movement
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:04:36
Source of music:Sheet music from Henle
Instrument used:MP11SE with VST Boesendorfer Imperial from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly on Mac Mini.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I recorded this just a few days after my Mum died in February. I had been trying to practise the second movement but everything sounded discordant and ugly, which is unusual for a piece I normally find quite uplifting. I gave up trying to lift my mood. The first movement has the much more melancholy feeling, which matched my mood, so I just thought I should try a recording. There is very little of my usual internal narrative when I'm playing, of I must do this here, or be careful here it is tricky. I very much just played. I noticed afterwards there is almost no rubato in my playing, and this fits, I don't seem to feel rubato like I do dynamics. Currently rubato is still quite a mechanical process for me, where I consciously think I should add some rubato here, but listening afterwards it often sounds contrived and forced. With no internal narrative, clearly I just dropped the idea of rubato altogether.

Other than lack of rubato my only other complaint with this recording is when there is a semi-quaver at the end of a bar and the same note is repeated as the first note in the next bar. My playing of these is inconsistent, sometimes I play them nicely but I struggle with consistency for them.

Other than those comments I'm pleased with this recording and I honestly don't think I can improve on it, until I've improved my playing with a couple of years more experience. The tempo is quite quick compared to how the piece is often played, but this to me feels like quite a natural tempo for the piece.

I wanted to play the two movement together but I've stopped that project as I just can't get enough control for the second movement to achieve the feel I'm after.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, self-directed learner since December 2011
Title of piece:Saman
Composer:Olafur Arnalds
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Sheet music shared on the internet by composer
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 7 (Standard) U4 modified
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Monica described Olafur Arnalds as 'one of my favorite contemporary composers' - a view I came to share. So when I was deciding on something special for my 25th Recital entry, I thought of Arnalds' captivating 'Saman' which I first heard and fell in love with a couple of years ago.

When I finally located the score, then newly-posted on his social media site, I discovered two problems. My skills weren't up to the dynamics or the constant switching between 4/4 and 6/4 time signatures. And performed on anything but Olafur's upright, with its unique muffled 'felt piano' voice, 'Saman' lacked its most distinctive element.

This is still a work in progress, despite the amount of time I've spent on dynamics, and on modifying the settings on Pianoteq's U4 to try to capture something of the 'felt piano' flavour.

I know that this effort won't be to everybody's taste but I've had an enormous amount of fun - and I think Monica would have enjoyed it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Many years with some lessons thrown in nnow and then.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Fx8CgIc4I
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:When the First Bird Sings
Composer:Original composition
Duration:05:37
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro (mac)
Additional info:Many, many years ago I spent a night up on a roof in a small town in MA. It was on a lake and it was a very, very long night awake. As the sky began to show faint signs of the morning I got it in my mind to really try to hear the first bird of the morning sing. It turned out to be one of those times you never forget. It was very early spring and the leaves were just starting to bud. It also turned out to be the first day of fishing season so just as the first light appeared in the distance a bird sang...and a motor started up, and then another bird and then another motor. And I could just make out some small boats heading out onto the lake as more and more birds began to sing. Anyway... I sit at my piano every morning and have a bird feeder right at the window. As I was working on this piece and watching the birds I started thinking of that morning. So here is the first bird singing. But no boat motors.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8p_THiVrM
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
Title of piece:Sonatina
Composer:Ido Moshe
Duration:01:41
Source of music:https://drive.google.com/file/d/16WGrhXpVqQ6bJYHkK6hC7JUFjdM5-b0w/view
Instrument used:Some old, unmaintained Kawai upright
Recording method:phone
Additional info:This is my second composition for piano. You can follow along with the scores in the link.

More of my compositions can be found here:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYAELiZwEJspF2JfR6VFhP10KC-mI_nDL

The initial musical idea for this piece was formed very quickly, then I notated it and spent some time tweaking and refining it. The recording was done shortly after the last tweak to the scores, so it is very raw.
Apologies for the recording quality, I'm not very used to playing/recording an acoustic piano.

Thank you for listening, I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you Sam for making this happen.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 05/15/21 06:26 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 35+ years of playing without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Arioso ex Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1056
Composer:Bach, transcribed by Max Pirani
Duration:04:47
Source of music:https://sheetmusicpoint.com/composer/p/pirani/pirani-bach-arioso.pdf
Instrument used:This one:
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/14942.jpg
Recording method:Silent system MIDI out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, Savihost recording plugin, additional reverb with Audacity
Additional info:I came across this fantastic piece in the transcription themed recital. Bach composed it for an oboe concerto, later made it the slow movement of his harpsichord concerto BWV 1056 and eventually used it as the opening of one of his cantatas. The Australian-born British pianist and teacher Max Pirani transcribed this for piano in 1917 when he was only 18 years old. I really do like fast Baroque trills... Thanks to MaryBee for introducing this marvellous piece and for inspiring me.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Adagio, BWV 974
Composer:Marcello/Bach
Duration:03:24
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JJHLH
Experience:2 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/0U8xfjqSIFc
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 11 - No. 21 in B flat major
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:01:51
Source of music:Imslp PDF
Instrument used:Yamaha N1X
Recording method:USB stick

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Brian Moore
Experience:Around 5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/mGNWcOtUcPA
Title of piece:Sarabande, French Suite #1
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:59
Source of music:Sheet music "Classical Patterns" by Walter and Carol Noona
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:iphone SE 2020
Additional info:I love the French Suites and this is my attempt at the Sarabande from the Suite #1 in D minor. This piece is featured in the movie, "Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould." It is #29, "Leaving." That movie is from 1993 and I probably saw it around then, it has much to do with my interest in Bach, classical music, and playing piano. That would have been several years before I ever tried to play.

For most of the time I've played, I've been largely self-taught and often chose pieces that were probably a bit aiming too high and this fits that pattern. In the last year, I've been working with a teacher and that led me to pare this performance down to the basics. I've removed almost all the ornamentation (which I used to try to play) and just focused really on consistently just getting my fingers on the right keys and an an attempt at a consistent tempo and rhythm. Still there are many flaws!

It has been a while since I submitted a piece! I'm glad to have something to offer finally. Thanks to everyone at Piano Forum! Both for the opportunity to share the music, the comments, and all the wonderful pieces I've heard on here, that has been an inspiration to me over the years.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:rwsavory
Experience:Many, with gaps.
Title of piece:Sonata K391
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:02:53
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai GL-40
Recording method:Tascam DR-40

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Video link:https://youtu.be/BEUvTFCrT_A
Title of piece:Fantasia in C Major (HWV 490)
Composer:Handel
Duration:07:36
Instrument used:Cunningham Parlour Grand
Recording method:Zoom H4

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Video link:http://youtu.be/nAkDPo7nxxM
Title of piece:Milonga del Angel
Composer:Piazzolla
Duration:03:59
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:Piazzolla originally composed this piece in 1965 for his quintet consisting of bandoneon, double bass, electric guitar, piano and violin, and later transcribed it for piano. I learned this piece several years ago and submitted it to an earlier ABF recital. I decided to revisit the piece and take a different interpretation from my earlier effort.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:>7 years
Title of piece:Sonata, K.119
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:06:50
Source of music:sheet music, mostly memorized
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:The first publication of this was in 1738 in Essercizi per Gravicembalo so for harpsichord. But I think it works nicely on piano as well, even though it woul sound a bit lighter on harpsichord.

This was already at the very end of the baroque era, and influencing the classical style. He worked most of his life for rich portugese and spanish nobility. From 1730 till the end of his life he worked in madrid as teacher of the to-be queen of Spain. He composed this piece also there.

It starts rather bombastic, I think this is for warming up and to let the people know the music has started. Then comes a lyrical part, developing into dissonant chords and then fast section of broken-chords and runs. Then another lyric section, developing similar, and a third one. The lyrical parts are very nice and the dissonant chords are unusual chromatic and big with up to 6 notes in the right hand chords. I hope you enjoy it!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:vte
Experience:1 year 3 months
Title of piece:Prelude No 3
Composer:Raphael Eligoulachvili
Duration:01:47
Instrument used:Casio PX-870
Additional info:I really love this charming and elegant piece. I certainly don't think I did it justice but here's my best effort and hope everyone enjoys it! smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:11 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/DS18M8Bll_8
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:05:05
Instrument used:Sabel S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Ableton Live 10 Lite, Audacity
Additional info:This is my first Sonatina and my introduction to multimovement works. It was such an amazing challenge and an enjoyable experience. I love classical sonatas, they sound so fun to play, and this gave me a taste of it and also a first glimpse into sonata form.
This is the result of a approx. two months and a half of work with my teacher, and I am as usual amazed by the amount of work that goes beyond the notes to polish a piece. We focused on making it as musical as possible, and I hope that I managed to convey in the recording all the details we discussed together.
This is also my first submission playing on my upright smile which I purchased shortly after the last recital.
My plan was to submit a recording of both movements in the same take. In each take, I actually recorded both movements in one go, but as expected my favorite versions of each movement were not in the same one, so I ended up putting two different takes together.
I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed playing it smile Looking forward already to my next classical sonatina/sonata

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Flygbladet
Experience:Alot as young - 20 years having no piano, back on it since 2 years now.. smile
Title of piece:Om kvallen (in the evening)
Composer:Elfrida Andree
Duration:02:58
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha P45
Recording method:Line in from Yamaha p45 to computer. Recording with Audacity- afterwork: Adding some echo.
Additional info:Where to begin.
This is a relatively unknown female composer. But what a composer. She went to become on of the first organists in the second half of 19th century in Sweden. Probably one of the very first european female conductor conducting a professional symphonical orchestra.
She was not allways welcome, but her father encouraged her throughout her education. And she was active in changing the law making her professional career as a musician not open just for her in her country but for all women there.
Even though having some local reputation during her career, as a composer she was hardly recognised. Mostly overlooked cause of her gender. Often played only once in public or never. Even writing an opera together with first female winner of Nobel Prize in litterature (Selma Lagerlof) that didnt have a premiere until 2019(!)
It's a shame, I love her pieces. They are romantic, without being overly bombastic as much of the late 19th centuary music. And she is never boring, never lazy in her writing - but rather keeps it interesting.

This is the third one in a set of three pieces (Of which I hope I can play all three for some recital in the future).

She must have had long fingers and had to split on a couple of more places than she is suggesting in her song. But manage to get hold of 13 -leaps most of the time.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 05/15/21 06:36 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:About 68
Title of piece:"Late Night Long Time Agone"
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:07:20
Source of music:Free improvisation, final few minutes of an hour or so.
Instrument used:Weinbach grand, new 1971, action rebuilt 2005
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Had last night's very tasty leftover curry for lunch. I felt my technique had become overblown recently so in this one I tried to expend more energy on purely musical impulse, not altogether successfully.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Venu
Experience:6
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxgGvF-89U8
Title of piece:Prelude in B Minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:01:53
Instrument used:Kawai CA 49
Recording method:iPhone
Additional info:I am an adult student learning Piano for 6 years. I am learning Prelude in B Minor for RCM level 8 exam.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sriya
Experience:2 years and 6 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqvRj9CNhY
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor
Duration:02:06
Instrument used:Kawai CA 49
Recording method:iPhone
Additional info:I am learning this piece for RCM level 6 exam.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mosotti
Experience:3 years, 7 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/W6UqYsz-JkE
Title of piece:Fughetta in C minor, BWV 961
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:25
Instrument used:Kawai MP11SE with Garritan CFX
Recording method:Recorded into Garritan CFX app
Additional info:I think this piece is so beautiful, it's also the hardest piece I've learned so far, it really goes all over the place in both hands. I tried as best as I could to keep it gentle and flowing, but I still have some unexpected twitches in my fingers lol. It's also the first piece that I've recorded in one take, well actually the second, because the first one is always ruined by the whole camera setting procedure which throws me out of the mood. I've noticed on the video that there was quite a lot of traffic around me while recording it, but never noticed it while playing lol.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Qazsedcft
Experience:6.5 years
Title of piece:Invention no. 2 in C minor
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:02:32
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 baby grand
Additional info:I'm sorry for the sound quality. I don't know where the clicks are coming from and how to get rid of them.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Lost in the fog of time
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAa3kVLPNqf5vxb3qw7NT0w/videos
Title of piece:Contemplation
Composer:Yours truly
Duration:03:25
Source of music:Head. Sheet piano music produced for this orchestral piece.
Instrument used:Pianoteq Vintage Bechstein sound-alike (I fondly think) on a Yam. p515
Recording method:Audacity from pianoteq which records everything I play.
Additional info:I'd written this some years ago now,
more or less when i joined the forum.
The second song I'd wrote, I'd used
the facilities of the Digital ensemble
piano to do this.
I tried to write it for piano, but
needed simplifying just so's I could
play the dang thing in some logical
form.
The piano sound for this is vintage; the
best piano for me; it sounds like it's
been stuck in a church hall for decades.
It has the "Candelabra Sound". 'Nuff
said!

The original piece of music is below
if you're interested. I suppose
you'd paste the link into YouTube . . .
Yes! that works.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Snejana
Experience:Seven years and a bit
Title of piece:Whispers of Winds
Composer:Chrissy Ricker
Duration:02:48
Source of music:Piano Pronto Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio PX-700 Digital Piano
Recording method:GarageBand on Mac
Additional info:This is my interpretation of the beautiful piece by Chrissy Ricker, a contemporary piano teacher, and composer. The original title is "Winter Winds" which I renamed to "Whispers of Winds" to match the mood of my interpretation. There are several themes in this piano piece: 1) soft breezy feel at the beginning 2) syncopated dance in the middle 3) slightly murkier mood later. These themes interplay perfectly passing the mood back and forth. I really enjoyed playing it and internalizing the range of emotions it captures.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Lilypad
Experience:8 years as a child, then off & on since retirement in 2004
Title of piece:The Orchard
Composer:Pete Churchill
Duration:01:46
Source of music:ABRSM Jazz Piano Level 2 book
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-635 digital piano
Recording method:digital to USB to PC

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Pathbreaker
Experience:20+
Title of piece:Partita No. 1, Sarabande
Duration:05:56
Source of music:Schirmer Partitas Bk. 1
Instrument used:Roland RP-301 / Garritan CFX (VST)
Recording method:cubase/aria .wav convert to .mp3 in audacity
Additional info:Partita No. 1 might be my favorite work by Bach. This is the 3rd piece I've learned in the Partita No. 1 after the Prelude and Allemande. I worked on the "Courante" for a bit but it was painful so I will go back to it eventually.
This Sarabande was quite difficult to learn compared to the Prelude and Allemande for some reason. Lots of stops and starts for awhile before I broke through. Now that this one is working out I will probably return to the Allemande to try and bring up the tempo before touching the Courante.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:Several
Title of piece:Prelude Op.11 No.23
Composer:Skriabin
Duration:00:56
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:Skriabin's preludes Op.11 seem to be inspired by Chopin's Op.28. Skriabin's personal style is, however, quite obvious. Most of the pieces are short, and the technical challenge varies between relatively easy to unplayable.

No.23 is a one-pager, takes less than one minute to play and is more difficult than it sounds. I have struggled a lot to get it to my present level, and there is still room for improvement.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:On and off for the last 20 years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/hi37Zkeb4Os
Title of piece:What'd I say
Composer:Ray Charles
Duration:02:06
Source of music:Video lesson from IRockU.com
Instrument used:Roland FP7 + Pianoteq version 6
Recording method:2 Logitech webcam + Panasonic Camcorder
Additional info:I learned the easy version many years ago.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:mmathew
Title of piece:Prelude in E Minor
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:23

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:9 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/aMqZ22puXzs
Home page link:http://myitaliancircle.com
Title of piece:Erinnerung, Op. 68 no. 28
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:31
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 12 Pro
Additional info:This little piece is from part 2 of Schumann's Album for the Young. It was easy to learn but I couldn't memorise it for the life of me. Pedalling could be cleaner and I skipped a tuning due to lockdown, but it doesn't sound too bad to me.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Marklings
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Gigue from French Suite #3 in B minor
Duration:01:28
Source of music:Sheet Music (URTEXT)
Instrument used:Yamaha CP88, internal harpsichord sound
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:I eventually managed to finish studying this suite, took me 3 months.

I feel it helped me a lot to improve as it is on the "edge" of my technical abilities at this point in time.

I submitted before the Courante, this Gigue and the Courante are the most difficult pieces of the Suite.

I really like the harpsichord sound on my Yamaha CP88 and I thought it worth to use that for this recording.

Enjoy, any comment really welcome

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Talao
Experience:1 year and 10 months of playing experience at the time of recording (started at age 44). Averaging about 1.5h of practice per day. Seeing a teacher for 1h every other week.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7u8_HjQ6w
Title of piece:Gymnopedie No. 1
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:03:33
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha U3 (52" acoustic upright).
Recording method:A matched pair of Rode NT5 mics connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation audio interface. My DAW is Ableton Live 10 Lite.
Additional info:I rehearsed this piece to play at an in-person recital. Unlike my 1st in-person recital, which went well, my second was a disaster. I made a mistake at the beginning that sent my brain into panic mode and I couldn't recover. I made this recording afterward, at home, once I had calmed down. I'd welcome any feedback on anything you hear and/or see. Thank you all in advance.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Qwerty53
Experience:Four years
Title of piece:Little Prelude in C Major (BWV 924)
Duration:01:25
Source of music:Memorized from my first Henle book
Instrument used:"Serena," my Estonia L168
Recording method:Zoom H4N, Audacity
Additional info:Last fall, my new grand piano and I wanted to learn Bach's Little Prelude in C Major. This is one of the Little Preludes written or collected by Johann Sebastian Bach for his son Wilhelm Friedemann Bach in the early 1720s. There seem to be a myriad of different compelling interpretations available; a favorite of mine is by Tatiana Nikolayeva on YouTube. BWV 924 is played first of the Twelve.

I tried learning this Prelude when I began lessons three years ago with my current teacher, but eventually set it aside; she recently conceded that she had misjudged my readiness! When I picked it up again this past winter, my progress was encouraging. With my teacher's guidance, I keep finding new things to appreciate about it, and I never seem to tire of it. The more I play it, the more it reveals, and the more motivation it gives me to improve my technical abilities.

I hope you can hear a hint or two of the "row of diamonds" and the "string of pearls" my teacher brought to my attention. What a universe of jewels in just this one piece! Gratitude to my willing piano companion, to my teacher GD, and to good old JSB!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peter Hontaru
Experience:3 years and 4 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnsFyYF1tpBdwu6hE7U9Thg
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnsFyYF1tpBdwu6hE7U9Thg
Title of piece:Rocket Man
Composer:Elton John
Duration:03:54
Source of music:https://musescore.com/user/9332246/scores/5830568#comment-6048113
Instrument used:Hoffmann grand piano
Recording method:Iphone 11 pro max
Additional info:This is one of my favourite pieces and by far the toughest I ever learnt so far. It will probably be familiar to most and I hope I managed to serve it some justice.

This piece HAS a break. I am sorry but I only recorded one version with two angles (only own one camera) so had to have an additional take with the ending angle and merge the two takes. I thought I might re-record the audio-only but I highly doubt I will be able to get myself to re-record it over the next couple of weeks after spending 50 hours to learn it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tootles
Video link:https://youtu.be/d4ZCHLtb-CU
Title of piece:What A Glorious Day
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:01:15
Source of music:Jazz, Rags and Blues, Book 3
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Recording method:Zoom Q8
Additional info:This is the hardest 1 minute 38 second piece I've ever played!!! Short notes on the left hand, swing slurred notes in the right hand, Oh My. Then on top of it, I memorized this little ditty and will be playing it in a recital in two weeks. But. . . I've had a lot of fun, and that's what counts, right:-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:I learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I did not touch the piano for 35 years until about eleven years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which was almost half of the Hanon book if I recall correctly. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. However, my piano teacher preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I cannot comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. Since I started the relearning process, I have not had a piano teacher, but I would like to work with one in the future. I have been considering receiving online piano instruction, but I need to explore that first. I should scour the pianoworld forums for suggestions and discussions. Anyone with this kind of piano learning experience? For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:http://youtu.be/AC180tqEKNU
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
Composer:Johannes Brahms
Duration:06:30
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Zoom H4N (audio), Kodak Zi8 (video)
Additional info:It has been exactly two years since I last participated in an ABF recital (May 2019), so it is good to be back! I love this Brahms piece. It is a very 'moody' one that I found challenging to deliver a performance that indulges in the various colors and sentiments while not being pulled and lost in them. It wasn't easy to paint a coherent picture given all the moods, but I hope I have somewhat met that goal.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:More than a few years
Title of piece:Invention No. 8
Duration:02:22
Source of music:J.S.Bach Two Part Inventions edited by Willard A. Palmer
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 grand piano
Recording method:Audacity recording with Audio Technica AT2020 USB microphone
Additional info:I have been working on this piece for about 7 months. It was my first Invention after playing lots of Bach's easier pieces. I recorded it at 90 bpm to the eighth note. It will be a piece I continue to work on because it has so much of a lively spirit.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JB_PW (Jen)
Experience:3 years of lessons recently + a few years of casual lessons as a kid
Title of piece:Night Journey
Composer:William Gillock
Duration:00:41
Instrument used:ED Seiler upright
Recording method:Zoom H4N
Additional info:For performances I usually gravitate to "pretty," slow pieces. But those require a lot of pedal, and since my pedal has a lovely creaky/squeaky thing going on right now, I went in a different direction. I'm really enjoying William Gillock's book of lyric preludes.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:QuasiUnaFantasia
Experience:4 years since rebooting, playing from sheet music. Decades of playing only by ear, and only rather little. Two seasons of formal teaching as a child.
Title of piece:Smaatrold
Composer:Grieg
Duration:02:52
Source of music:Memorized sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-30
Recording method:Ivory II Studio Grands (Steinway B)
Additional info:The piece is called "Smaatrold", which literally means "Little troll". Whether Grieg was thinking of an actual hairy troll, or maybe rather of a rambunctious human toddler, I don't know. Whatever, in reality the troll is definitely Grieg himself, because he asked the piece be played at an insane pace.

I have done my best to deliver. But as will be apparent, it is still a work in progress. Another two months will probably be necessary to get the piece, where I want it.

By the way, on the off chance that you think I play it fast, you should treat yourself to hearing a pro play it. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Calavera
Experience:About 10 years as a child and teenager, and about 2 years since my comeback as an adult.
Title of piece:Silent Hill
Composer:Yamaoka, Akira
Duration:03:33
Instrument used:Yamaha P-125
Recording method:Garritan CFX
Additional info:Album: Silent Hill Original Soundtracks. Arrangement/transcription by Dave Peppiat.

Wait, don't skip this piece! While the opening is weird and alienating, it gets increasingly rewarding to play and listen to if you stick with it. Before you know it, this theme casts its spell over you, and you ultimately realize that even the bizarro opening is a valuable part of the piece.

This is another side project of mine, and like so many other side projects, it turned out to be a little more challenging than I had anticipated. Note to self: if you think that things are going well while recording, you're probably going to slip up spectacularly within the next few seconds.

In some respects, this is the most ambiguous composition I've played recently. I'm not quite sure how to describe the mood(s) of this piece. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:QuentinP
Experience:Learnt as child then a big gap. Got back into it about 10 years ago.
Title of piece:June - Barcarolle
Composer:Tchaikowsky
Duration:06:10
Instrument used:Roland HP603 digital piano.
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:I hope some people enjoy listening to this.
Lunch: cheddar cheese and poblano chilli toasted sandwich.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:sma55 (Shepherd Abrams)
From:Originally from Chicago, but somehow got trapped in St. Louis beginning in 1989
Experience:Self taught as a child, then took a hiatus for a few decades, and then resumed playing with some intermittent lessons beginning 7 years ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/sj5tFA4biPA
Title of piece:Funeral March of a Marionette
Composer:Charles Gounod
Duration:05:05
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music
Instrument used:Steingraeber D232
Recording method:Zoom H4N and converted to mp3 in Audacity.
Additional info:After my piano tuner recently tuned my piano, I heard him playing this piece to test out the tuning. I instantly fell in love with the arrangement and just had to learn it. I find the piece to be quite quirky and fun--"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" notwithstanding. And so does my wife, who has asked me to play it at her funeral (yes, seriously).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:tyschoco
Experience:Played casually when younger, took lessons for 1 Year and 7 Months now.
Title of piece:Invention No.5 in E-Flat Major BMV 776
Composer:J.S Bach
Duration:01:36
Source of music:I use Henle Urtext, but here is a link to the score on IMSLP:
https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imglnks/usimg/2/28/IMSLP00751-BWV0776.pdf
Instrument used:Acoustic Piano, Zimmerman S6
Recording method:Iphone Voice Memo
Additional info:First submission for the Adult Beginner forum Recital! Hopefully anyone listening enjoys my rendition of one of the lesser played Bach 2 invention in E flat smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:barbaram
Experience:c. 10 years
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:31
Instrument used:Kawai CS8
Recording method:Digital to Audacity
Additional info:Chopin's easiest piece still presents a host of challenges for me and I have found it very satisfying to work on. I recognise there is plenty I could still improve (when would there ever not be!), but for now I'd rather move on.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as an adult. Resumed regular lessons almost 6 years ago.
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 11 no 20
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:01:21
Source of music:Henle edition
Instrument used:Steinway Grand in a church
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:This is probably one of the hardest pieces I've ever played. The big jumps were new to me, and I'm still not consistent with them. Thankfully it's a short prelude, so I was determined to learn it (along with a few others). It's very passionate, I hope you enjoy it. I'm not sure the quality of the recording is great (I might have put the Zoom recorder too close to the piano...).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Purrblast
Video link:https://youtu.be/D2hbT1QISXg
Title of piece:Baba Yaga, The Witch (Op. 39, No. 20)
Composer:P.I. Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:05
Source of music:Children's Album, Op. 39 - P.I. Tchaikovsky
Instrument used:Kawai CA78, pianist mode ("Classic" setting)
Recording method:Recorded to USB, normalized in Audacity.
Additional info:Not up to required tempo (presto) and with some mistakes, but here we go. Hope you'll enjoy it. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34_0EEleV8
Title of piece:Abendlied Op.5 No.3
Composer:Emil von Sauer
Duration:03:35
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Estonia L210 (2018)
Recording method:Zoom H5
Additional info:Emil von Sauer was a German composer. He was a pupil of Franz Liszt and one of the most distinguished pianists of his generation.

Another recording of a rare gem! You know a piece of music resonates with you when you catch yourself spontaneously humming the main theme of it multiple times throughout the day. I had no choice but to learn and record this lovely 'Evening song'. What a simple melody but such a beauty!

I found it difficult to voice the melody when the accompaniment consists of various uncomfortable intervals and jumps. Furthermore, with such a steady 6/8 rhythm in the accompaniment it's easy to accidentally slip into a rigid metronomic pulse, and thus ruining the gorgeous melody on top. Copious amounts of rubato is extremely helpful in giving life to such a rigid structure.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Hawgdriver (Leon)
Experience:~10 with a 5 year break
Title of piece:Moment Musicaux Number 3 in F minor
Composer:Schubert
Duration:02:09
Instrument used:Roland keyboard 700 something
Recording method:Audio line in to zoom H1
Additional info:That dang pedal!!! lol You can hear me mistime the sustain pedal during the forte part. This has been the toughest piece for me in terms of use of pedal. Still a lot to master there, but it's listenable and just between you and me, I want to move on with this in a 'rotation' instead of continuing to obsess with just one piece.

I love Schubert!!! <3 <3

Besides the pedal mistake in the forte part, I'm curious about use of sustain pedal in the piece period--if you have any insight I'd love to hear how you approached it. It felt like a fine balance between maintaining a sparse staccato feel and adding lush romantic texture, so maybe there's a lot of discretion to the performer, but in any event it's a puzzle I don't feel I've solved to my satisfaction.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:winterflower
Experience:plenty
Title of piece:Train Horn
Composer:winterflower
Duration:02:08
Source of music:improvised
Recording method:Pianoteq 7 Bluethner
Additional info:What I really wanted was to catch the sound of the passing train's whistle (which accounts for the --least soothing-- parts of this piece), but perhaps that's hopeless. Hopeless for now.

If I do sound like I cam copying something else... well, that would be interesting to know.

I like comments.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:selfishplayer
Experience:7.5y
Video link:https://youtu.be/9yq20osp2EA
Title of piece:EnglishSuite 2 bourree I
Composer:J.S.Bach
Duration:02:16
Additional info:trying recording a new piece , but still need polish . So revert to record this old piece. But after long time no playing , it's tough to get used to , because the previous finger arrangement is wrong, now it's like relearn it from start to override the wrong muscle memory . boring and lack of sense of accomplishment
Though I tried hard to fix , still terrible playing ,
Hope 3 months later , I can polish both the new piece and this one to note perfect .

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:EdmondRhapsody
Experience:7 years as a kid, on and off as an adult
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cL02bVy0w
Title of piece:Passacaglia
Composer:Handel/Halvorsen
Duration:02:54
Instrument used:Yamaha P-515
Recording method:keyboard USB recording
Additional info:I have listened to this piece many times over the years and really like the melody. I always thought it is a modern composition. It was not until recently I realized it was published by Norwegian composer/violinist Johan Halvorsen in 1894 based on Handel's Harpsichord Suite in G minor, HWV 432. The piece was originally arranged for String duos. The version I play is a piano arrangement.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:psyche23 (Edwin)
Experience:Eight years as a child, 2 years since returning to the piano as an adult
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-616625087
Title of piece:Romance in F sharp major, Op. 28 No. 2
Composer:Schumann
Duration:03:05
Instrument used:Yamaha P-125 and Pianoteq 6
Recording method:Digital to PC (Pianoteq 6)
Additional info:This beautiful piece was written by Robert Schumann in 1839 as the second of Three Romances ('Drei Romanzen') and given to his then fiancee, Clara. Legend has it that many years later, as she lay on her deathbed (and 40 years after Robert's passing), Clara requested her grandson perform this for her. It was the last music she ever heard; she died on May 20th 1896.

I love how the main theme is voiced by the thumbs and sits in the middle register, it really adds a different, slightly weightier feel to the music. Now it took me a while to get this under the fingers and I put this down to the fact it's in F sharp major (6 sharps) and for some reason I struggle to learn pieces in key signatures containing many sharps. If it had been written in G flat major (6 flats) it would have been much easier! No idea why!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:11 years now
Video link:https://youtu.be/KfODVCLtBjk
Title of piece:Polonaise op 40-1"Military"
Duration:06:35
Source of music:Henle, Paderewski
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Recording method:Zoom Q8
Additional info:"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride!"

Hopefully I conveyed some of the spirit of this piece, despite the missed notes! It's been a long project. I keep track of my practice hours, and I "only" spent 85 hours on it spread over a year. I worked on a section, got tired of it and set it aside, picked it up again, realized I would have to memorize it, started again, and so forth. Finally I had a couple of zoom lessons to help me correct my unintentional errors.

It's fun to play, but tiring. I really have to think about relaxing and reducing tension the whole time. It starts forte, and never drops below that for the rest of the piece, so it is a real workout to play it.

I've played it twice in live recitals in the last month, with varying success, but my real target during this whole process has been a live recital next weekend for my local piano group. Wish me luck!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
That's all folks! Thanks for keeping the recitals thriving!

Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission