2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Originally Posted by Burkey
Do you know what happens if you take out from a piano sound some natural effects like the "beating" ...? Probably something like this:
link
BTW, the Roland Juno-60 was a very cool synth...

Actually wouldn't an easier way just to use the una corda pedal, so that the hammers which normally strike all three of the strings for a note strike only two of them?
"Easier" for what? To get less 'beating'? Yes, you'll get less beating, but there will always be a beating effect. But why you should remove that natural effect from an acoustic piano? It's one of the many things that makes a piano sound like a piano and not like an organ.
I actually don't find the out of tune strings that attractive.
Indeed many people get migraines from such off colour sound.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
IMHO if you say: "That's a major advantage of digital pianos", all human beings with standard IQ and no extrasensory abilities would think that you are referring to "MOST" digital pianos, rather than "A VERY FEW" digital pianos... I'm wrong?
No: 'digital pianos' means the whole genre of pianos which are digital. This also includes all future digital pianos.
But it also includes the current and the previous generations of digital pianos with no distinction between the many types of piano engines, so your reasoning seems a bit weak to me... IMHO you should have said: "That's a major advantage of digital pianos with single-string-tuning capabilities"...
Another consideration: we cannot assume for sure that ALL future digital piano engines will have this feature (single-string-tuning).
Again, no where did I ever state 'ALL' future digital pianos would have such a feature. Let's stop putting words into people's keyboards shall we smile

My reasoning and wording are both perfectly sound:
The complete genre of digital pianos as a whole allows the great many limitations afflicting acoustic pianos to be fixed once and for all.

The acoustic piano is dead;
Long live the digital piano!

Last edited by Burkey; 05/15/21 11:45 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Burkey #3117893 05/15/21 11:58 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
This! grin

Burkey #3117903 05/15/21 12:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
But it also includes the current and the previous generations of digital pianos with no distinction between the many types of piano engines, so your reasoning seems a bit weak to me... IMHO you should have said: "That's a major advantage of digital pianos with single-string-tuning capabilities"...
Another consideration: we cannot assume for sure that ALL future digital piano engines will have this feature (single-string-tuning).
Again, no where did I ever state 'ALL' future digital pianos would have such a feature. Let's stop putting words into people's keyboards shall we smile
And where did I ever state that you said that? It was clearly just a consideration from me. Maybe it's you the one trying to put words into my keyboard...? smile
My reasoning and wording are both perfectly sound:
The complete genre of digital pianos as a whole allows the great many limitations afflicting acoustic pianos to be fixed once and for all.

There are certainly some limitations/annoyances afflicting acoustic grand pianos, like the size, the weight, the volume of the generated sound, the price, tuning and maintenance costs. But the incredible amount of nuances, richness, details and immersive experience you can get from its sound is unrivaled with any current digital piano.

Another thing: let's say you play C4 on a current digital piano... It will always be the same C4 sound even in 30 years. On the contrary, even on a well-tuned and well-maintained acoustic piano, that C4 will be slightly different in the years, but always beautiful, because the wood ages and the tuning of the strings cannot be always exactly the same... So the sound evolves like a person who grows and slightly changes his/her character. That's incredible, it's almost like a living being...

So, acoustic pianos are dead? In your head, maybe. I guess you too, as Pete14, dream of electric sheep... grin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
It talks about sampled instruments, but I guess, for the moment, we can generalize to all DPs.
No, that has literally nothing to do at all with DPs.

Quoting a portion of text from there: "[...] Some years ago I sold two perfectly good acoustic grand pianos, replaced them with an all-digital setup. Absolutely no regrets.

Instead of my never-quite-perfectly-in-tune pianos, inexpertly recorded with my OK-but-not-great-microphones, I get the microphones, placement, sound engineers, instruments, expertise and ambience of somewhere like Synchron Stage (VSL) or Abbey Road Studios (Garritan CFX), all recorded on a $250,000 instrument. And then—particularly with Synchron—I then also get a wealth of microphone options for sculpting the sound."

They outsourced recording the piano to someone else and are mixing samples recorded from a grand piano by someone else. That's nothing unusual. That's exactly what these sample libraries are meant for. It's the same for recording voice: You are able to sing or use an autotune plugin and let it sing for you.

There is nothing wrong with that, but the topic of recording acoustic pianos and (re)using samples recorded from them has nothing to do with using digital pianos at all.

Yamaha P-515
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Another thing: let's say you play C4 on a current digital piano... It will always be the same C4 sound even in 30 years.
Complete nonsense. You simply upgrade to Pianoteq 42: sounds better every year!

Last edited by Burkey; 05/15/21 09:16 PM.

Burkey #3118043 05/15/21 10:00 PM
D
D
[

Well, I'm not sure if the acoustic piano will vanish for good - this is a discussion that goes beyond my scope of interest - but in many situations it'll be a relic of the past in no time. Even today, I see no use anymore for acoustics in any conceivable situation excluding (1) a live performance whose venue can afford to maintain its piano in pristine conditions, or (2) a recording session whose studio also can afford this. Other than that, I'll stick 100% of the time to a digital piano rather than fight with a mistuned, ill-callibrated, poor-sounding acoustic. Given that I'm not nostalgic nor have any piano fetish, it's an easy trade... :-)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
... a well-tuned and well-maintained acoustic piano, that C4 will be slightly different in the years, but always beautiful, because the wood ages and the tuning of the strings cannot be always exactly the same... So the sound evolves like a person who grows and slightly changes his/her character. That's incredible, it's almost like a living being...
Also complete nonsense: acoustic pianos all get worse and lose value the older they are. No acoustic piano remains just as beautiful over time - that's proven by the fact that 99.9999% of pianos do not increase in value over time (the only pianos that increase over time are not ones you play - they're the ones owned by famous people like Mozart, Chopin, Rachmaninoff).

That's why older pianos all have to be reconditioned - the only way to maintain their beautiful tones is to replace/refurbish every single part of them. Which is an extremely expensive journey.

Last edited by Burkey; 05/15/21 11:06 PM.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
we've been there millions of time, there is space for both, but so far nothing can replace a good acoustic piano.

Burkey #3118127 05/16/21 06:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another thing: let's say you play C4 on a current digital piano... It will always be the same C4 sound even in 30 years.
Complete nonsense. You simply upgrade to Pianoteq 42: sounds better every year!

... a well-tuned and well-maintained acoustic piano, that C4 will be slightly different in the years, but always beautiful, because the wood ages and the tuning of the strings cannot be always exactly the same... So the sound evolves like a person who grows and slightly changes his/her character. That's incredible, it's almost like a living being...
Also complete nonsense: acoustic pianos all get worse and lose value the older they are. [...]

Sometimes I wonder why some people have to be so rude in expressing their own opinions... confused

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sometimes I wonder why some people have to be so rude in expressing their own opinions... confused
'Complete nonsense' refered to the counterfactual statements.
'Complete nonsense' was not a judgement of you personally.

I wish people would stop taking offence at things not directed at them smile

Last edited by Burkey; 05/16/21 06:32 AM.

Burkey #3118132 05/16/21 06:40 AM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Complete nonsense. People are people. grin

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

You're being trolled! frown

[Linked Image]

Burkey #3118150 05/16/21 07:28 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
'Complete nonsense' refered to the counterfactual statements.
'Complete nonsense' was not a judgement of you personally.

I take offense at your ‘offence’ because I’m certain that you are aware of the correct spelling -offense- yet you still come here to throw this offence at us.

I won’t have it -offence- just like I won’t have defence! It’s freaking defense!

For god’s sake, even “auto-correct” will not allow it!

Burkey #3118153 05/16/21 07:34 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[The complete genre of digital pianos as a whole allows the great many limitations afflicting acoustic pianos to be fixed once and for all.

Almost. wink

The acoustic piano is dying.
The digital piano has just passed its peak.
The Midi Controller Keyboard + VST is the future!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
OK so,

With regards to the differences in audio recordings acoustic vs. DPs:

Are DPs good enough to produce album-worthy recordings? From what we have heard so far:

- Yes, to a limited extent. The resonance has not been satisfactorily 'designed'* There are pieces even below virtuoso level that will expose the limitations of the DP.

- With VSTs, to a great extent, yes. In addition, VSTs and DAWs provide excellent audio recording capabilities that can do it. But VSTs too lack in enough resonance 'design'*. Virtuoso and hyper-virtuoso pieces will expose the VSTs' weaknesses.

- To a good ear, these inefficiencies are disappointingly obvious.

What else?

---
* designed - sampled. modeled. sampled, then used to model. and whatever goes with it.

Last edited by mmathew; 05/16/21 07:37 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Animisha
[The complete genre of digital pianos as a whole allows the great many limitations afflicting acoustic pianos to be fixed once and for all.

Almost. wink

The acoustic piano is dying.
The digital piano has just passed its peak.
The Midi Controller Keyboard + VST is the future!

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the ‘controller/VST’ ruling the future because it all comes down to semantics, and a digital piano with on-board sound is by extension a controller + a ‘virtual’ simulation of a piano.

Now, for those simply wanting to sit down and practice, the ‘digital’ piano is just getting warmed up, and pretty soon we will see on-board ‘pianos’ matching and even surpassing the *sound* quality of so-called VSTs.

Keep in mind that having an action paired and calibrated to a sound engine and on-board speakers at the factory level already has inherent advantages compared to a generic VST designed to work with any action/sound system.

Something gets lost in translation (velocity curve, sound imaging, etc) and Rosetta can only do so much, but native, on the other hand, is just native!

*sound* refers mostly to fidelity in isolation, but not necessarily to playability and/or overall sound imaging.

Pete14 #3118193 05/16/21 10:30 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Keep in mind that having an action paired and calibrated to a sound engine and on-board speakers at the factory level already has inherent advantages compared to a generic VST designed to work with any action/sound system.

Good point Pete! However, I think that the technical development of each aspect of piano playing will enable users to individualise their instrument, so that everyone can chose the action they prefer, and combine it with the piano sounds they prefer, with the loudspeakers they prefer. Who knows, ten years from now there may even be keyboards with smaller keys, for piano players with small hands, or with a rounded form, for more ergonomic playing. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
D
D
Originally Posted by mmathew
OK so,

With regards to the differences in audio recordings acoustic vs. DPs:

Are DPs good enough to produce album-worthy recordings? From what we have heard so far:

- Yes, to a limited extent. The resonance has not been satisfactorily 'designed'* There are pieces even below virtuoso level that will expose the limitations of the DP.

- With VSTs, to a great extent, yes. In addition, VSTs and DAWs provide excellent audio recording capabilities that can do it. But VSTs too lack in enough resonance 'design'*. Virtuoso and hyper-virtuoso pieces will expose the VSTs' weaknesses.

- To a good ear, these inefficiencies are disappointingly obvious.

What else?

---
* designed - sampled. modeled. sampled, then used to model. and whatever goes with it.
I just realized I use the term "digital piano" for both actual digital piano units and for the controller/VST combo. I think it's perhaps because I don't use the original sounds of my DP for so long now it makes no difference.

That said, borderline off-topic, I agree with you about VSTs with one remark: it's not the virtuosity of the piece that makes the flaws apparent. Some of the most convincing, almost indisguinshable digital recordings I've listened to were of very challenging stuff by Liszt, for instance. Yet Debussy's Clair de Lune keeps making developer's lifes difficult. I think it became some sort of milestone in this quest for authenticity: the VST that first make it sound really really good will win the jackpot LOL

On a side question, let me ask you guys something: Would you rather listen to an acoustic piano with a couple of slightly out of tune notes or to a digital piano with an obvious digital artifact?

I want neither one of these ...
Originally Posted by desordre
Would you rather listen to an acoustic piano with a couple of slightly out of tune notes or to a digital piano with an obvious digital artifact?
I prefer an in-tune acoustic. Second place: a top digital piano.

An out-of-tune acoustic can be tuned.
A poor-sounding digital can be left on the showroom floor.
I don't want either one.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission