2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 213 of 237 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 236 237
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kammerklang
So far I've only seen two N1x samples, but both with lateral loose and vertical somewhat stiff and doughy keys across the whole keyboard. And I think those cases weren't about regulation, but poor manufacturing tolerances (I'll try to make a video of the sample which I still have access to, to demonstrate the lateral play as soon as corona lock down is over). And I also remember similar complaints from others, even professionals ...

So I'm not the only one and I think these problems are not isolated cases. On the other hand, there seem to be flawless examples. So in any case, I would be careful and not play lottery and just buy the exact model I tested before. Better a flawless demo floor model than a brandnew model in its original packaging but with a possibly doughy action that can hardly be regulated.

Well then, good luck and keep your fingers crossed hopefully not to be disappointed...

You're the only one who has complained about it on this forum (in different threads).

"Lateral key movement," "stiff and doughy keys," you remember others complaining about it, even professionals.

How can I say this nicely? Seems like rubbish to me. Sorry.

God Bless,
David

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So far I've only seen two N1x samples, but both with lateral loose and vertical somewhat stiff and doughy keys across the whole keyboard.

"Loose" keys by its literal definition is certainly a production defect which must be rectified by manufacturer - there's no doubt here.

But re: "lateral" movement - some amount of lateral movement is a pretty standard across all acoustic keybeds. I think the standard movement is around 2mm. If the movement is greater than this, then it would mean "loose" keys, which must be fixed, in the particular instrument the problem is found, by the manufacturer. It is not indicative of design.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
M
The N1X arrived. My wife loves it. Third time is a charm. CA99 -> NV-5 -> N1X. I can now get on with by life.

The Kawais had SQ sampling and build quality issues. The Yamaha, in typical Yamaha fashion, "just works."

K
K
David,

may I kindly remind you that I am not the only one reporting issues with the N1x Action. You have closely followed the threads that discussed the issues, so I am amazed at your allegations. Could it be that someone who waxes his N1x as lovingly as you do does not want to hear about possible problems with some copies of this model?
It is quite possible that your N1x copy is flawless. But that should not induce you to marginalize or deny possible problems of other copies as well out of love or pride in ownership, or to discredit me personally as the allegedly only one who has experienced them.

In addition to Mark (mwf), who recently changed his previous complaints about the action of the N1x model he was testing, there was also, for example, Martin Geyer, a jazz pianist who didn't like the particular action, and also Allexandra Lynelle James, a brilliant, young professional classical pianist who had a less than happy experience with the N1x when looking for a compact digital for practice in her apartment in New York.

So only one example, just in case you "forgot":
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Thread: Yamaha Avantgrand and Yamaha p515 (Feb. 21)
Originally Posted by Kammerklang:

I could imagine that there are also flawless copies that do not have this deficiencies , but I would definitely test it meticulously before buying and only buy a copy that I have played and found to be fine.
I can only advise you to take a very close look at an N1x and playtest the model what you may be buying later on. Don't forget, I'm not the only one who reports bad experiences with the action of the N1x, which is why I suspect that these are not isolated cases... So, good luck!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

LJames
New York, NY

I wish I had had this comment in mind when I tried the piano - they offered me the showroom piano and I thought it was terrific. But I thought better to go with a ‘new’ one - it just arrived and I swear it has a different action. Yes more ‘rickety’ and ‘works against’ you which I did not feel at all in the store model. Maybe it’s just very new? 🤞🏻 But wish I had gone with the exact one I tried, just like acoustic pianos... though they assured me they’re all exactly the same... not so sure.

.............................................................................................

Once again: I don't claim every N1x must have a bad action, may be Your's hasn't or it doesn't matter to You. But combining some different experiences reported here I would advise every new buyer with higher demands to select especially careful the exact sample of a model he wants to purchase.

Last edited by Kammerklang; 05/17/21 12:23 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by msromike
The N1X arrived. My wife loves it. Third time is a charm. CA99 -> NV-5 -> N1X. I can now get on with by life.

The Kawais had SQ sampling and build quality issues. The Yamaha, in typical Yamaha fashion, "just works."

Congrats, msromike! That's definitely a high-end digital piano progression. Glad you found your end state (unless we hear you move up to an N3X in a few months laugh )

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Congrats, msromike! That's definitely a high-end digital piano progression. Glad you found your end state (unless we hear you move up to an N3X in a few months laugh )

LOL, you are right there! If we ever move to a house with the room for it. That is her "dream piano'"

K
K
Originally Posted by mmathew
"Loose" keys by its literal definition is certainly a production defect which must be rectified by manufacturer - there's no doubt here.

But re: "lateral" movement - some amount of lateral movement is a pretty standard across all acoustic keybeds. I think the standard movement is around 2mm. If the movement is greater than this, then it would mean "loose" keys, which must be fixed, in the particular instrument the problem is found, by the manufacturer. It is not indicative of design.

2mm, are you sure? That sounds way too much to me. I'd guess several tenths of a millimeter is fine (which seems to be according to a video of Cybergene's N1x action he showed here)...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

After the N3X, we can still upgrade with Silent (or Disklavier) grands.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
David,

may I kindly remind you that I am not the only one reporting issues with the N1x Action. You have closely followed the threads that discussed the issues, so I am amazed at your allegations. Could it be that someone who waxes his N1x as lovingly as you do does not want to hear about possible problems with some copies of this model?
It is quite possible that your N1x copy is flawless. But that should not induce you to marginalize or deny possible problems of other copies as well out of love or pride in ownership, or to discredit me personally as the allegedly only one who has experienced them.

I'm not doubting you don't like the N1X action. To each their own.

I'm doubting there is a quality control issue as a result of "poor manufacturing tolerances" that would lead you to believe there is a high probability for someone to get a bad unit (such as mwf).

Based on my experience with numerous AvantGrands, several years of following the experience of others on this forum with them, I say your "poor manufacturing" claim is rubbish.

God Bless,
David

M
M
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

I would love a Disklavier but I think my best bet is not to mention that to the missus. Sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
LJames indeed found the keyboard in her brand new N1X a bit "rickety" and "against you" as she described it. She also thought it was because "maybe it's just very new". I am not sure what is meant by "rickety" but the next explanations sound like the action might be tight and sluggish and need some playing in. It doesn't sound to me like it has lateral play.

I PM-ed here to ask what happened with the N1X, so hopefully she will clarify.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/17/21 12:54 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, congrats! Have you asked purchasing the floor model since you liked it?

No i want a brand new one, I presumed they are all regulated the same or similar... My bad if not, but no way I'm buying a floor demo model.

So far I've only seen two N1x samples, but both with lateral loose and vertical somewhat stiff and doughy keys across the whole keyboard. And I think those cases weren't about regulation, but poor manufacturing tolerances (I'll try to make a video of the sample which I still have access to, to demonstrate the lateral play as soon as corona lock down is over). And I also remember similar complaints from others, even professionals ...

So I'm not the only one and I think these problems are not isolated cases. On the other hand, there seem to be flawless examples. So in any case, I would be careful and not play lottery and just buy the exact model I tested before. Better a flawless demo floor model than a brandnew model in its original packaging but with a possibly doughy action that can hardly be regulated.

Well then, good luck and keep your fingers crossed hopefully not to be disappointed...

No way I'm buying a used floor model that's been played on for 2-3 years extensively and by countless people countless hours of times... Just absolutely never, and they wouldn't give me an amazing deal on it either i know for sure, so I'll get a new one.

I appreciate your concerns though so thanks for your messages, but on this occasion i trust in yamaha as to this day i have no complaints on their quality, and this is coming from someone who's owned yamaha digital pianos for over 20 years, I've been through many different models with zero issues... In contrast, i buy a new kawai ca99, first time ever and it is littered with issues from day 1.. I'll take my chances on a brand new n1x any day of the week.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew

2mm, are you sure? That sounds way too much to me. I'd guess several tenths of a millimeter is fine (which seems to be according to a video of Cybergene's N1x action he showed here)...

Oh dear! I meant to write 0.2mm. I am sorry for the mistake!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
I
I
Originally Posted by mwf
No way I'm buying a used floor model that's been played on for 2-3 years extensively and by countless people countless hours of times... Just absolutely never, and they wouldn't give me an amazing deal on it either i know for sure, so I'll get a new one.

Did the dealer tell you how long the model had been sitting there? Curious because the N1x I just bought is a floor model (delivering tomorrow), however the owner assured me it only came in a month ago, and was only played by one person before me who wanted it for next to nothing because it wasn't brand new.

I hope I'm not being naive in assuming he was telling me the truth. Is there a way of finding out when a particular instrument was actually shipped to a store? I didn't notice anything wrong with it in the 15 or so minutes I was actually playing it but I could have missed something. He ended up giving me an additional 5% off the $9000 final price I had agreed on for not being a pain to deal with as the previous customer was, which brought it down to ~$8500 CAD before tax.

My Youtube.

Pianos: Yamaha N1X, Yamaha P-155B
VST's: VSL Yamaha CFX Standard

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

The previous owner of my N3, who was a professional musician, upgraded from his N3 to the Yamaha transacoustic grand.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by IcedTeaNoIce
He ended up giving me an additional 5% off the $9000 final price I had agreed on for not being a pain to deal with as the previous customer was, which brought it down to ~$8500 CAD before tax.

8,500 CAD = $7,045.

That's a pretty good deal. It's less than what I paid for mine over two years ago. I paid $7,446 before tax. Evidently, it pays not to be a pain to deal with. smile

Good job!

God Bless,
David

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure if anyone is looking for this kind of recording but...

Here's a quick attempt to record the N1X speakers using the internal CFX sample. The recorded sound is not the same as being in the room but it's much better than I expected.

N1X Recording of Speakers in Small Room

I'm not used to doing this kind of recording but to my ears it's reasonable. I had trouble figuring out how to lower the sensitivity of my mic for room sounds. The bass is occasionally boomy and that is not what I hear in the room.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Not sure if anyone is looking for this kind of recording but...

Here's a quick attempt to record the N1X speakers using the internal CFX sample. The recorded sound is not the same as being in the room but it's much better than I expected.

N1X Recording of Speakers in Small Room

I'm not used to doing this kind of recording but to my ears it's reasonable. I had trouble figuring out how to lower the sensitivity of my mic for room sounds. The bass is occasionally boomy and that is not what I hear in the room.

Sounds good. That was enjoyable. Thank you for sharing.

However, one nitpick, the creaky bench drives me crazy. I've got to have a bench that is quiet, otherwise, it distracts me. You should be grateful you don't have the same affliction I do. I've been dealing with a bench issue lately and I'm hoping to have it resolved soon.

Thanks again for sharing.

God Bless,
David

R
R
I resolved my "creaky bench" by adding soap to the wood where the leg touches the bench. It acts as a lubricant. Problem solved.

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by RCKFlorida
I resolved my "creaky bench" by adding soap to the wood where the leg touches the bench. It acts as a lubricant. Problem solved.

Actually, my bench issue is not a creaky bench, but a wobbly bench (in the lift mechanism). It's at the Jansen company for the second time now. I'll have to acquire a new bench if Jansen is unable to resolve the issue.

God bless,
David

Page 213 of 237 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission