2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Purdy
Some Roland propaganda videos

Da, comrade!!! laugh

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
B
B
Just out of curiosity: does anybody know of a location where users share self customized Piano Designer settings?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmmmm..... I can't think of any. RolandClan.com also doesn't have a section for the FP- series. At least here we have an owners thread.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Speaking of specialized settings.

In the Roland piano designer app there are some special tunings for the gp609. It would be interesting to know what was done and if that would crossover to other dps.

It seems there is a lot of customization that could be done on a per note basis. I don’t recall color or loudness per key being used at all in the default piano.

On another front, I was showing the sympathetic resonance to my son, holding down one key and playing others to make it ring.

You could even get a slight bit of sympathetic resonance out of a C key with A.

FP-90x, PX-330
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK.
Now that this model has been out for about a month or so:

What advice would the FP-90X owners, who have upgraded from FP-90, give to current FP-90 owners? Do you like the PureAcoustic sound engine so much that you would recommend current FP-90 owners to upgrade? What other improvements do you see with theX?

---
Full disclosure: I am a current FP-90 owner who shamelessly invited myself to the 90X owners club laugh

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by mmathew
---
Full disclosure: I am a current FP-90 owner who shamelessly invited myself to the 90X owners club laugh

So, Mr. @mmathew, exactly how many pianos/controllers have you hoarded by now 😉?

From the top of my head, I'm counting a P515, VPC1, N1X, and now... an FP-90 as well?

In this respect, you might resemble my brother, who also has a little "treasure vault" containing his history of 30+ years of musical, stage and production equipment and accessories 😋.

Cheers and happy curating,

HZ

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You’ve violated clearly stated company protocol, mmathew!

Whilst you may think “what’s the big deal; other than “X” these instruments are basically identical,” and common sense would dictate you are correct in this observation, we simply cannot allow a ‘self invitation’ without prior authorization!

If you’d taken the time to review our policies, protocols, and regulations, this situation could’ve been avoided by simply filling out a “Petition to Transition” form, and submitting it to me for review and -perhaps- subsequent approval to transition from non-X to X!

I hereby declare you in contempt of this court, and for this blatant disregard of the law, I shall give thee one more Bannon!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

---

So, Mr. @mmathew, exactly how many pianos/controllers have you hoarded by now 😉?

From the top of my head, I'm counting a P515, VPC1, N1X, and now... an FP-90 as well?

In this respect, you might resemble my brother, who also has a little "treasure vault" containing his history of 30+ years of musical, stage and production equipment and accessories 😋.

Cheers and happy curating,

HZ

Well, maybe we should take this to the "do you have more than one keyboard thread?" but in summary, I have always had one/two slabs on the side in addition to a permanent/semi-permanent one blush

Currently:
Permanent/Semi-Permanent: N1X
Slabs on the side: RD-2000, FP-90

I have access to some good piano stores and made friends with them, and they help me trade and sell on consignment. I am a hoarder, experimenter, seeker, explorer.

G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
You’ve violated clearly stated company protocol, mmathew!

Whilst you may think “what’s the big deal; other than “X” these instruments are basically identical,” and common sense would dictate you are correct in this observation, we simply cannot allow a ‘self invitation’ without prior authorization!

If you’d taken the time to review our policies, protocols, and regulations, this situation could’ve been avoided by simply filling out a “Petition to Transition” form, and submitting it to me for review and -perhaps- subsequent approval to transition from non-X to X!

I hereby declare you in contempt of this court, and for this blatant disregard of the law, I shall give thee one more Bannon!

I'll remember that @Pete laugh In my view, Roland is offering the same PHA-50 action in two DPs with different sound engines. They have not dropped the price of the FP-90. Everything else is the same (from the specs).

The PureAcoustic Modeling does have some good reviews on YouTube, but unfortunately the comparisons don't seem to go into enough detail - that's why I am asking owners who have upgraded.

G. K. Chesterton
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I am a hoarder, experimenter, seeker, explorer.

Let's shake hands on that 🙂.

Cheers and happy learning,

HZ

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
I broke down and bought the rpu-3.

To be honest I did not know how sostenuto worked as it didn’t function on the piano I grew up playing.

I can confirm that all pedals can be proportional so if you set the left pedal to bend down and right to bend up you have some control of the frequency.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Purdy; 05/21/21 05:40 PM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
I made a discovery today. All the presets in piano designer, even those supposedly for other pianos work with the fp-90x

For example the lx-17 concert piano tuning bY Hugo Veryzer.

It is worth an exploration.

FP-90x, PX-330
You can try these 2 piano designer custom setup files for PureAcoustic engine. I find they are a better starting point than the default setup.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/what-is-roland-pure-acoustic-modelling-technology

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Beansparrow
You can try these 2 piano designer custom setup files for PureAcoustic engine. I find they are a better starting point than the default setup.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/what-is-roland-pure-acoustic-modelling-technology

Unfortunately you can't use these files directly in the FP-90x as there is no provision to load these setup files via a USB drive.

I can view them directly in a text editor and could copy the settings. It does appear that the file formats for a saved setup via the piano designer app and these files are different.

Thanks for sharing.

FP-90x, PX-330
B
B
Does anybody know if there is some option to create custom velocity curves like in for example in Poanoteq?
I know that the touch sensitivity can be changed from "off" to "100" but I couldn't find a setting for the velocity curve.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brennbaer
Does anybody know if there is some option to create custom velocity curves like in for example in Poanoteq?
I know that the touch sensitivity can be changed from "off" to "100" but I couldn't find a setting for the velocity curve.

I don't know if this is a feature of any Digital Piano @brennbaer - only controllers, and/or software VSTs can do this. Maybe it's possible in a very round about, i.e., changing the volume levels of each note but even this does not replace the velocity curve.

G. K. Chesterton
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

I believe the velocity setting is a series of velocity curves.

I stole this from another post about a Kawai keyboard but I would guess this is pretty common in how digital pianos treat the velocity setting.

But if you want something really fancy like an s curve, no you can’t do that on the FP-90x

My take on it after playing with fancy curves with VSTs is that is that it is nice to have a lot of adjustment but a continuous curving arc is adequate for my needs.

[Linked Image][/quote]

Last edited by Purdy; 05/23/21 11:28 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
P
One question, do we still have the Bluetooth page-turn-with-pedal function in fp-90x? I cannot locate this function in the menu anymore (compared to previous fp-60)..

Piano beginner at 50yrs old
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by potatoooFR
One question, do we still have the Bluetooth page-turn-with-pedal function in fp-90x? I cannot locate this function in the menu anymore (compared to previous fp-60)..

Looks to be gone?

The Roland piano everyday app supports page turning. I suppose apps that allow midi control of page turning will work.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
if anyone is interested I did use some software to create a smooth stretch tuning. I'm not sure it makes much difference but I thought I would share.

You can download the tuned.psf file from here and put it into the piano designer folder on your appropriate device. It should show up as a preset in piano designer.

smooth stretch tune

it looks like this in piano designer

[Linked Image]

this is the default FP-90x stretch tuning

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
Page 5 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission