2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3119717 05/20/21 05:09 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
There is a very interesting and to me surprising article in today's Daily Telegraph about the 'Percentage of students likely to end up in graduate employment or further study 15 months after graduating'. Of the best 10 the Royal College of Music came second with 88.3% behind Imperial College London, the Arts Education Schools were sixth with 85.8% and the Royal Northern College of Music tenth with 80.9%. Not at all the kind of result that I would have expected. Of course it doesn't tell you what the employment actually is or indeed whether it is music or arts related as I believe a considerable proportion of graduates end up in unrelated occupations. But encouraging news for those musically inclined?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
There is a very interesting and to me surprising article in today's Daily Telegraph about the 'Percentage of students likely to end up in graduate employment or further study 15 months after graduating'. Of the best 10 the Royal College of Music came second with 88.3% behind Imperial College London, the Arts Education Schools were sixth with 85.8% and the Royal Northern College of Music tenth with 80.9%. Not at all the kind of result that I would have expected. Of course it doesn't tell you what the employment actually is or indeed whether it is music or arts related as I believe a considerable proportion of graduates end up in unrelated occupations. But encouraging news for those musically inclined?

Hello, Colin,

Interesting bit of info there, and one that I would be interested in as well. When I worked at the state technical college for many years as a program coordinator/instructor for the Air Conditioning Technology Program (AKA HVACR) we had to meet certain statistical benchmarks in order to keep the program open and operating.

There was a minimum requirement for the number of full time students enrolled, the number of graduates, and the number of job placements of graduates annually. Fortunately, during my tenure at the tech college, our program numbers were well above the minimum requirements, and, in fact, our program was one of more popular programs at the college.

As for the percentages of graduates of the Music Schools, who found employment "in field" as we used to call it, or, a "related field", I guess it would depend on the actual number of graduates in order to determine if the results were positive, or met or exceeded a certain minimum threshold.

As for whether or not Music, or in particular, "Piano Performance" is a good field to get into, in terms of making a good living, "in field", remains a good question.

If I had to depend on my musical skills and abilities to make a living, I'd likely be homeless, starving, and deprived of most material things. smile

But I do wish all those music school graduates well in their musical careers, and beyond.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Strictly speaking, these are not students becoming employed, but employed OR entering into further study.

I suspect what it really means is that the graduating BA and BMus students wind up flipping into master's programs.

Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Strictly speaking, these are not students becoming employed, but employed OR entering into further study.

I suspect what it really means is that the graduating BA and BMus students wind up flipping into master's programs.

This too, continuing education, was a positive outcome statistic at the tech college. A negative outcome was someone who dropped out of the program, didn't graduate, and didn't get a job in field or related field.

Of course, Colin mentioned that about further study in his original post.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting way of thinking about the measurements. In some instances, further education has real value. In others, it is just kicking the can a little further down the road.

Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Interesting way of thinking about the measurements. In some instances, further education has real value. In others, it is just kicking the can a little further down the road.

I agree.

And, I've seen a few people over the years who were perpetual/professional students. They'd finish one program of study and start another. Personally, I never could afford to be a professional student, continuously learning, buy never earning a paycheck. smile

Must be nice to be able to afford to do that... (make a career of being a student)

Rick

E
E
Completely free music selection on many different devices.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdselMagnus
I agree, and it is so nice to listen to YouTube pianists.Who cares if the musicians are learned or not! It is the music that counts.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by tre corda
I agree, and it is so nice to listen to YouTube pianists.Who cares if the musicians are learned or not! It is the music that counts.

It's kind of difficult to be a musician if you haven't learned anything.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by gwing

Anybody think they might be replying to spam? Look at the forum signature

Last edited by dogperson; 10/12/21 06:40 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by gwing

Anybody think they might be replying to spam? Look at the forum signature
This is a rather directionless thread, or it has become that.I am not quite sure what spam is though.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.

This is a rather directionless thread, or it has become that.I am not quite sure what spam is though.

If you Google "Spam" some definitions might be "digital junk mail", or "unsolicited communication sent over the Internet".

There is also a canned meat product called Spam made of various scraps of meat. It taste pretty good fried, and can be eaten right out of the can, but certainly not healthy for you (think high salt and high cholesterol content smile ).

Actually, I wrote a song years ago entitled "Google my name if you want to know who I am". Part of the lyrics are,

"Google my name, if you want to know who I am.
Google my name, if you don't want a lot of SPAM.
Google my name, and I'm sure you will agree...
Google my name, if you want to know more about me"

I thought it would be a big hit on YouTube, but I guess not. smile

Rick

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hi Rickster
Yes I know the kind of spam that is sold it tins.Not my kind of food.I remember my son going on a camping trip with group of boys.One of the tins of food he took with him was spam.When it comes to online spam yes I kind of know.The techno words tend to expand in thier meaning to include a number of aspects.Just the other day someone used the word "troll" in a non offensive manner.("the next time you troll the weather.ap...)
So yes the online world seems to be changing.By the the way I liked your poem)

I found it difficult to understand the use of the word spam in this context however? Perhaps dogsperson just likes to keep us on our toes?..true the world can be a dangerous place?
It seems to be reasonably safe on PW though.

B
BDB Offline
B
The term "spam" for unsolicited email comes from a Monty Python skit.

Semipro Tech
Hi Rickster
Yes I know the kind of spam that is sold it tins.Not my kind of food.I remember my son going on a camping trip with group of boys.One of the tins of food he took with him was spam.When it comes to online spam yes I kind of know.The techno words tend to expand in thier meaning to include a number of aspects.Just the other day someone used the word "troll" in a non offensive manner.("the next time you troll the weather.ap...)
So yes the online world seems to be changing.By the the way I liked your poem)

I found it difficult to understand the use of the word spam in this context however? Perhaps dogsperson just likes to keep us on our toes?..true the world can be a dangerous place?
It seems to be reasonably safe on PW though.

Hi, tre corda, sounds like you do know what both kinds of spam are... smile

In regards to my poem (song, but a song is a poem, and a poem can be a song:-), for the sake of conversation, here are all the lyrics/words to the song/poem, if you want to read them, or sing them. You can use your own melody or just use your imagination; oh, and the song has a bit of a Folkish/Country flair. smile

"We live in a time when you can go online and search the Internet.
It's the information age, more than a craze, you can learn a whole lot, you bet.
With just a little click here and a little click there, next thing you know you're everywhere,
Just Google my name, and you know that I'll be there...

Google my name, if you want to know who I am.
Google my name, if you don't want a lot of spam.
Just Google my name, if you want to know more about me.

I'm the kind of guy who's a little shy, and I don't like to be in a crowd.
A soft spoken dude, never rude, ask me and I'll tell you why.
If you want to know more and you like to explore, my life's an open book and an open door...
Just Google my name, and then you know for sure.

Google my name, if you want to know who I am.
Google my name, if you don't want a lot of spam.
Just Google my name, if you want to know more about me."

Okay, well, a bit corny, but it is original, if that counts for anything. smile

Oh yea, in regards to the title of this thread, I know I will never have a career in music, but that doesn't mean I can't have a boat-load of fun with my music! smile

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"sounds like you know what both kinds of spam are" quote/Rickster

Sure, I just had a hope that "spam" like the word "troll" has become a little more benign, as it seemed a little out of place here. 😉 Perhaps I should be a little more vigilant?

By the way how do you like my hat? (as you can see I have changed my avatar again) That was OT, sorry could not resist.
Perhaps we should get back to education or over education?

Your poem is very good, but when I Google Rickster I cannot find you? I need to look on YouTube

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

Sure, I just had a hope that "spam" like the word "troll" has become a little more benign, as it seemed a little out of place here. 😉 Perhaps I should be a little more vigilant?

By the way how do you like my hat? (as you can see I have changed my avatar again) That was OT, sorry could not resist.

Your poem is very good, but when I Google Rickster I cannot find you? I need to look on YouTube

If you look at the post signature of the spammer it is a link to web site not related to music or scores
The Post was just the opportunity to get a commercial link out there and on the Internet

And yes, PW gets spam. Beware of links, Especially from new members

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

If you look at the post signature of the spammer it is a link to web site not related to music or scores
The Post was just the opportunity to get a commercial link out there and on the Internet

And yes, PW gets spam. Beware of links, Especially from new members
Yes I just looked.That looks scary I agree, I see what you mean.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
To reply to the original post: schools in the US are notorious for inflating their grad employment figures. Even law schools.

There are few jobs anywhere in music these days.

Yea, I like the new avatar, tre corda. I like the hat! thumb

Years ago, my late wife was in a group called "The Red Hat Society". She had more than one "Red Hat" and would attend various events on occasion, with her sister, who was the instigator ( smile ), and all the other women were wearing red hats. I always went with her because she was disabled and in a wheelchair and needed assistance. But if it made her happy, it was fine with me.

I have a few hats myself, a couple of nice, western cowboy hats and a few Kodiac style hats made by "Outback Trading Company". Sometimes I'll wear my hats when I record my music videos.

As for Googling my PW forum name (which I've now come to think is a bit silly), you probably got a lot of Google hits from the Piano World Forum, which is the only place I'm known as Rickster.

By-the-way, my YouTube channel is posted in my PW signature line, like many other members here. I'll send you a PM with a video of my original song, "Google my name if you want to know who I am".

Ironically, when I Googled my name, I never realized there were so many other people with the same real name as mine, and some of them were on the Internet for unflattering reasons... smile

As for the most recent spam post here in this thread, there was a time when the moderators would take quick action and remove such activity quickly. But maybe no one reported it and they just don't know about it.

All the best!

Rick

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission