2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (80k, Alan F, Bett, belcanto89, anamnesis, anotherscott, 36251, 17 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
OK this is not a question of buying the right monitors or amps or anything of the sort. So please no such suggestions. :-)

I have already fiddled with various parameters and the resulting sound has become very good but I was wondering what various parameters can be adjusted to maximize the sound fidelity that's lacking especially in the midrange freq particularly while playing chords.

In other words, I'm not an expert in the field of electronic music and I just don't know what to do with all these parameters like the delay or comp etc.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That it has too many knobs is an indication that the product was specified by engineers rather than musicians. frown

Just make it sound like a piano, I say. Add a few knobs to let me compensate for my venue, my speakers, my hearing, my choice of music, and my taste ... mostly EQ and reverb.

(On an acoustic piano I've never been able to locate the mallet bounce parameters! Nor the "humanization" knob.)

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree to an extent.

If one knows his or her way around such technical things then she'll be good. But I guess for most of us it's too much functionality that yields more confusion than it's necessary. I wish as you pointed out, there was one or two dedicated controls with enough cues and guide to adjust for speakers.

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
I just found a related thread here:
https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4950#p4950

Seems to me I'm out of luck as far as DP speakers are concerned? That post alongside its consecutive post share my sentiments.

@meghdad: That thread expresses the notion that you can go just so far by tweaking.
At some point you have to consider the quality of the sound system.

You seem to agree with that. And so do I.
Originally Posted by meghdad
I just found a related thread here:
https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4950#p4950
Seems to me I'm out of luck as far as DP speakers are concerned? That post alongside its consecutive post share my sentiments.
But note that the posts were dated June 2009. At that time Pianoteq was in its infancy. It was really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad.
Yes, you all know that I don't like Pianoteq. But the recent versions at least make it clear that it's TRYING to sound like a piano.
But back in version 2 (the oldest one I ever tried) it was not even as good as a child's toy. Really bad.
[Linked Image]

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Hahaaa @ image. laugh

What I'm trying to achieve is to have some knowledge about acoustics of the room and speakers and their relation with the parameters but that I suppose would consume some time and I have already spent some time on tweaking those parameters. I might need to consult an audiophile or an acoustics engineer. smirk

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is a freeware, Room EQ Wizard which can give you with a microphones, the response of your room and a reverberation curve.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 06/08/21 03:33 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have spent the last two to three years tweaking the hundreds of tweakibles in Garritan CFX, VI Labs German Grand, and Pianoteq 6 & 7. I was able to get so lost in the variants that I lost sight of what a piano sounded like.

I've come full circle and now play Pianoteq 7.3 with almost no tweaking whatsoever. All I do now is turn off Pianoteq's reverb when listening through my speakers (home theater amp with quality speakers), and I moved the velocity curve lowest point to 8,0 to reflect the fact that I cannot realistically play velocities below 8 with any consistency, and reduced the highest velocity from 127 down to about 118 as that is all highest velocity I can/choose to play. From those two points, it is a straight line slope. Those are all the tweaks I use.

I believe, like one of the posters in that Pianoteq Forum thread you referenced, that the supplied presets are very good, and hard to improve upon.

I believe that the greatest influence on the quality of your sound experience is the quality of your speakers/transducers, and the room you are listening in.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 06/08/21 03:43 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
I put a vst into a DAW, I use Mainstage on Mac, and use a parametric eq on the output channel to adjust for the speakers and the room. So this is _not_ something to fiddle with in Pianotek, but I do think that paremetric eq is the right tool for the job you are asking about.

[img]https://imgur.com/Nb0357L[/img]

How do you setup this curve? Its very easy for piano. Just play up the piano and find notes you don't like. Start low and find the first boomy stand out note. This is probably your room resonance, or could be a speaker resonance. In the parametric eq I'm using it shows the frequencies in real time. So go to the lowest frequency, which is the fundemental frequency of that note, and cut that frequency until it sounds OK. You can go up & down in semitones and adjust the q setting (like how sharp or steep the frequency cut will be around the chosen frequency) in case the resonance effects neighbor notes. Keep going all the way up the keyboard finding notes that stand out for being too loud or wrong sounding.

Note that a frequency cut will also affect the higher harmonics of notes lower than the cut frequency. You can test this by choosing a lower note, looking which harmonic of that note is effected by the frequency cut, and then toggle the cut on and off to hear how the tone of that lower note is affected. I have cases where without the cut a note doesn't sound louder, it sounds harsher.

Now its possible you are playing an instrument where the sample itself has room resonance or some resonance of the original instrument that you don't like. Those are easier to find with good headphones, so you can make a parametric eq just for the instrument. First you might want to eq your headphones! You can eq your headphones the same way, perhaps starting with an FM synthesizer (?) which as a very simple generated source should come clean without any resonance or weird eq of its own.

Do remember that any eq you figure out for speakers, that eq is specifically for those speakers in that room, and in that location. If you move the speakers to a different room the eq will be different. Your speakers eq can also be specific to how loud you listen because of the loudness control effect. Ie if you listen very quietly then the middle frequencies get over emphasized in your perception. If you want to listen quietly on your speakers you can also use a loudness curve.

[img]https://imgur.com/Aq8iV2l[/img]

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, Embertone Walker vst, etc.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
. . .

(On an acoustic piano I've never been able to locate the mallet bounce parameters! Nor the "humanization" knob.)

Haven't you seen the big knob just in front of the keyboard? The one with ten mechanical actuators ?<g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
"Compression" and "Decay" won't (shouldn't, anyway) help with correcting for poor loudspeaker frequency response.

One place to start, in Pianoteq:

. . . Click on the "Equalizer",

. . . and run through the "Presets" at the upper-left-corner of the popup window.

With luck, you'll find one you like, or at least that points in the right direction. Go through _all_ of them -- don't stop kissing frogs, there might be a prince hidden somewhere.

. . If you find one you like, use it.

. . If it just points in the right direction -- it improves the sound -- then try using it as a base for small changes of your own.

In the process, you'll learn something about how the _sound_ is changed when you change the response curve.

There don't seem to be limits to how many EQ segments you can specify; you should be able to correct for things like narrow-band room resonances.

That "Equalizer" puts to shame anything that I've seen on any DP's built-in sound generator.

A "parametric EQ" would be nice, perhaps, but the Pianoteq EQ lets you get to a similar end-point. (I suspect that "parametric EQ's" are not easy for non-engineers to understand. That's just a guess.)

Good luck. Don't be surprised if you finally bite the bullet, and get better loudspeakers --

. . . "You can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear."

You might, though, make a usable pigskin purse.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
R
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I believe that the greatest influence on the quality of your sound experience is the quality of your speakers/transducers, and the room you are listening in.

Agree.
My friend hasn't been bothered to tweak VSTs or complaining about sound quality since he replaced his old Motu M2 and HS8 with APOLLO X6 and Genelec 8040. laugh

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
"Compression" and "Decay" won't (shouldn't, anyway) help with correcting for poor loudspeaker frequency response.

One place to start, in Pianoteq:

. . . Click on the "Equalizer",

. . . and run through the "Presets" at the upper-left-corner of the popup window.

With luck, you'll find one you like, or at least that points in the right direction. Go through _all_ of them -- don't stop kissing frogs, there might be a prince hidden somewhere.

. . If you find one you like, use it.

. . If it just points in the right direction -- it improves the sound -- then try using it as a base for small changes of your own.

In the process, you'll learn something about how the _sound_ is changed when you change the response curve.

There don't seem to be limits to how many EQ segments you can specify; you should be able to correct for things like narrow-band room resonances.

That "Equalizer" puts to shame anything that I've seen on any DP's built-in sound generator.

A "parametric EQ" would be nice, perhaps, but the Pianoteq EQ lets you get to a similar end-point. (I suspect that "parametric EQ's" are not easy for non-engineers to understand. That's just a guess.)

Good luck. Don't be surprised if you finally bite the bullet, and get better loudspeakers --

. . . "You can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear."

You might, though, make a usable pigskin purse.

Good stuff. Charles.
The parameters on Pianoteq (std) do cater for small/poor speakers and provide for a very acceptable (usable) pigskin sound. . . .but with all the other variables, small changes make a big difference.

Last edited by peterws; 06/09/21 01:12 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I asked my teacher to sit on the bench and give my setup a professional pianist try. He seemed to really enjoy the experience, including the Petrof pack.
After taking into account his perspective and your much-appreciated opinions, I seem to have nearly perfected the sound as far as my speaker and room acoustics is concerned. The key I think was to increase the reverb (Small Room) , as I had set to to -30 db because I wanted to "feel" the natural reverb of my small room but it actually degraded the experience and muddied the midrange sound. The EQ was set to UpperMid to compensate the perceived weakness in the midrange but it didn't sound natural, especially to my teacher's ears who solely plays acoustic pianos. So I changed it to punchy but the bass does not sound crisp so I may keep the current reverb level and just tinker with the EQ based on its current setting.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,783
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission