2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
B
OP Offline
B
And with which keybed and which ports will it come?
Hopefully with a further development/next generation of the RM3 Grand II and with a Thunderbolt 4 and one or two RJ45 ports (for Midi over Ethernet or Dante or AVB). And a flat top of course and the red LED not placed on the top. And a nice matching stand would be really nice.

Does anyone else have hope that the long wait will be over with the next winter NAMM?

Please hear our prayers James so that we can send our money to your employer!

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I really don’t understand what Kawai is waiting for; is it a CPV-II from Yamaha?

I mean, this pure-piano controller is something that many had been asking for, “I don’t want on-board sounds, speakers, sliders, nor a volume knob; just give me 88 good-keys in a box”, and Kawai responded; but now, many years later, they’ve gone deaf and perhaps even blind!

We’re living in an era where people need to upgrade every few years in order to feel worthy even if they are ‘content’ with their current model, and most manufacturers are seizing on this, but not Kawai (VPC1).

How hard is it for them to stick the GF Compact in there, update the ‘dedicated’ velocity curve(s) for Pianoteq, and call it a day?

And please, James, don’t give me this, “it’s not that simple, Pete,” because it is….that simple!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I imagine that the production run on the VPC1 didn't sell well enough to justify the sequel.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
These continuous updates are a plague of our times. They are invented by greedy companies and even we who try to resist, find that we have no choice, as our devices simply stop working unless we buy an update.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Björn from Earth: You want to know if there will be a follow-on model?
And you want to know what keyboard action it will have?

No one here can know the answers.
No one here works for Kawai, save for Kawai James. And he is compelled to keep secret his company's secrets.

The whole subject sounds like an dreamy wish, with no hope of resolution.
There's really nothing to be done about it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I know that these NV10S and NV5S upgraded models are making you think "why not a VPC2 then?" but you have to realize VPC1 is perfect and doesn't need an upgrade, unlike NV10 and NV5 wink

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
There will never be a VPC2 and before you can hit that "Order" button on Amazon the VPC1 is discontinued and all remaining stock is sold out.

Then you will be forced to hunt for overpriced second hand VPC1 units on eBay, you'll never find that great deal and you'll be VPCless forever and finally die alone old and bitter always feeling sorry that you didn't buy a VPC1 in time when it was still available.

And there's no afterlife.

(Or what do I know?)

(😉)

B
OP Offline
B
I mean Kawai has updated EVERY SINGLE model they have, EXCEPT: the two MPs, the ES-110 and the VPC1. I think all four of them were a success in terms of their sales numbers.

... What is it that Kawai is waiting for???

What were the sales numbers?
Originally Posted by Björn from Earth
I mean Kawai has updated EVERY SINGLE model they have, EXCEPT: the two MPs, the ES-110 and the VPC1. I think all four of them were a success in terms of their sales numbers.

B
OP Offline
B
I don't know the sales numbers but you can see the sales ranks in their respective category at some big resellers, like Thomann for example. And if you search here on the forum you can also find a comment of James stating that the VPC sold well.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think the vpc-1 doesn't have competition, so it's best in class. So I can see why would Kawai doesn't seem to bother updating it.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a vpc-2 with longer keysticks, just a tad less downweight and a better pedal unit, but I think the vpc-1 is still pretty great as it is.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Funny that this thread emerges today, for this morning I was also thinking about a/the VPC2.

To me, an excellent development would be an NV10S without speakers, amps, nor sound generator.

In other words, a next-VPC with only the proper action as found in the NV10(S) *and* the actual pedal mechanisms (including "dampers") that belong to it. And an excellent MIDI implementation, of course.

Cheers and happy sweet dreams,

HZ

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

... What is it that Kawai is waiting for???

Most upgrades are for sound improvements or weight loss, or what have you.

All the models including the MP series have been upgraded since the VPC1 was released. What does that tell you about the VPC1?

These companies carefully vet customer opinion and make deliberate choices.

It annoys me when TV shows that I like get canned, but in the end, it is the majority that companies are trying to sell to.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
…and most certainly a flat top! What were they thinking with that curved top!

Also, why can’t Kawai for once please their customers without always thinking about the bottom line? Why not give their loyal customers, who have all but erected a shrine for the VPC1, a gift wrapped in GF compact?

Is that too much to ask, Kawai? Are the marketing/accounting guys always in charge?

And finally, whatever happened to that competitive spirit, “I’ll show you, Yamaha,” once displayed by a guy named Steve Jobs? (Different industry yet relevant attitude). “I’ll show you, PC!”

Sadly, he left us too soon, and no other industry has ever come close to producing such a specimen (capable of meeting the quota, yet also pushing the envelope of innovation to places otherwise unknown).

Can you believe the iPhone still has that hideous notch?

Had Jobs been around and we would’ve never been exposed to such mediocrity. Yes, we would’ve already had a ‘screen-less’ iPhone capable of holographic imaging.

Imagine Michael Jackson performing the moonwalk right in front of you; yes, that’s where we’d be had Steve not left us so soon, but Cook took that away from us!

Is Kawai being run by a ‘Cook’?

R
R
My take on this is that the VPC1 is a repurposed MP10. The MP11 did not reuse much of the MP10 and so I assume some bright mind at Kawai cobbled together the VPC1 from all those left over MP10 parts in their warehouse, resulting in a product which required little if any tooling. So, maybe if the future MP12 is a complete redesign, we might get a VPC2. Or not.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 7
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ralph1
……so I assume some bright mind at Kawai cobbled together the VPC1 from all those left over MP10 parts in their warehouse, resulting in a product which required little if any tooling.

Are you saying the VPC-1 is nothing but a Frankenstein made from leftover parts?

Harsh words!

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,
To me, an excellent development would be an NV10S without speakers, amps, nor sound generator.

In other words, a next-VPC with only the proper action as found in the NV10(S) *and* the actual pedal mechanisms (including "dampers") that belong to it. And an excellent MIDI implementation, of course.
HZ

... and also without the displays on the side. I fully agree.
Just a pure and clean glossy black piano controller without any knobs, sliders or other controllers or blinking LEDs.

And Midi via Thunderbolt 4 and Midi via Ethernet/Dante/AVB connectivity, *please*.

I think there are enough people out there who are willing to pay quite a penny for their instruments especially when using them for their daily work.

Digital piano players start crying whenever an instrument costs more than 2000€ but I have never seen this behaviour from guys who play drum kit or guitar, whose instruments usually cost quite a bit more than just a penny.

Last edited by Björn from Earth; 06/09/21 11:07 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tooling wears and suppliers stop making parts, so eventually the party ends.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

... and also without the displays on the side. I fully agree.
Just a pure and clean glossy black piano controller without any knobs, sliders or other controllers or blinking LEDs.

Oh yes, indeed! Utterly clean, please!

Cheers and sweet dreaming of the sweetest controller,

HZ

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by Ralph1
……so I assume some bright mind at Kawai cobbled together the VPC1 from all those left over MP10 parts in their warehouse, resulting in a product which required little if any tooling.

Are you saying the VPC-1 is nothing but a Frankenstein made from leftover parts?

Harsh words!

At least it is much better than Yamaha's last try in making MIDI controllers: The KX series.

LOL you are questioning the entire history of keyboard manufacturing then. Take a look at Yamaha:

[Linked Image]

Yamaha MO8:
[Linked Image]

Yamaha MOX, MOXF and the entire MX series are all Frankenstein of the same design.

The fact that Kawai put this keybed in VPC1 is amazing. Even by Kawai's standards it shouldn't exist.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission