2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (Adem, Baltguy, brdwyguy, DavidWB, anotherscott, 36251, David Boyce, 14 invisible), 642 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S
Research shows that rest and breaks and even short naps probably are as important as practice time when learning new material.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I agree! I’ll often find that something clicks after a day off.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

“There is in all times a secret union of kindred spirits. Bind closer the circle, that the truth of art may shine forever clearer, spreading joy and blessing through the world.” R. Schumann
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Research shows that rest and breaks and even short naps probably are as important as practice time when learning new material.

I find that as I get older - something I seem to be quite adept at doing - my short naps get longer!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
A fascinating discovery!

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
In language learning we call it "spaced repetition". You give your brain downtime in between and repeat the material to reinforce learning.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
An interesting start, but they need to move to real world trials.The study consisted of 10 seconds of "practice" and then a 10 second break, repeated for a total of 35 times. If the study were being done at the piano, they'd probably be dealing with repetitive stress issues! The synopsis doesn't actually mention short naps. It does state "... the gains were greater than those made after a night’s sleep."

My own real world (though useless) example of the benefit of breaks is doing crossword puzzles. If I get stuck and put the puzzle down for a time and then come back to it, the answer often pops up immediately, suggesting my brain has been working on it during the "rest" period.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

R
R
I’ve found learning a tough passage just before bed time, then again early next morning works amazingly well. It’s like my brain is processing new stuff overnight.

C
C
Originally Posted by RubberFingers
I’ve found learning a tough passage just before bed time, then again early next morning works amazingly well. It’s like my brain is processing new stuff overnight.

Yes, this is a method of practice. Some people swear by it. I recently came across this idea and keep forgetting to practice the most difficult parts of pieces right before bedtime, but the only two times I have the next day they felt a lot better. If there is a particular passage that's tripping you up, right before you go to bed, work on it solidly and deliberately for five or so minutes (try your absolute best to not make any mistakes), and when you practice the next day recognize how it feels.

As for frequent breaks...I take them a lot! I'm not a professional pianist or anything, but I will often find there is only so much practice I can handle before I feel I'm going crazy. If I'm learning a new passage and my hands find it tricky and I sit there hammering it out over and over again, even for only five minutes, at the end of it I will feel "fried" and go lay down on my bed, pet my dog, grab a drink of water, anything that lasts a minute or two. Then I will come back more refreshed. Sometimes very intense, deliberate focus can be absolutely exhausting and two or three minutes can feel like ten. I practice about three hours a day, and over those three hours I would guess maybe 20-30 minutes of it is taking breaks...I'm sure everyone is different, but however my brain works means I really have to take that time. If I brute force anything my technique and patience wear down to the point I make far too many mistakes and it's a bad spiral.

My youtube channel where I discuss theory, performance, cover some tunes, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCruDLJseRHB_04Zwz0NXVGg
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck

Exactly! After having read a similar report, I started with five minutes rests on the couch after each practice session. Eyes open or closed, whatever I feel like. I am not allowed to check my iphone, or to talk with my husband. Most of the times, it is lovely. Sometimes, boring.
It doesn't have an immediate effect but I do have the impression that my memory skills are slowly improving. Could be wishful thinking though. wink

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
R
When I practice a tough passage just before sleep, I wake up thinking about them the next morning. Strange but effective.

Isn't it obvious that most people can't practice effectively more than x minutes without taking at least a little break? Isn't that what everyone experiences?

Isn't it obvious that most people can't practice piano or anything else effectively more than x minutes without taking at least a little break? Isn't that what everyone experiences?

S
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S
Yes. The point of the research is that breaks provide more than just something you do because your practice session has reached its limit of sharp focus, so that a greater number of shorter sessions scheduled in a given day may be better than fewer, longer sessions even if the latter don't extend beyond the point of maintaining sharp focus.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I'm afraid some of us could miss the point of this extremely important article. It's not about taking a break or a nap after learning something. In fact a nap is never mentioned there. Nor the focus. It's about taking very short breaks while learning something (a motor skill), because these short breaks are required by the brain to build more advanced neural pathways. The fascinating discovery of this article is that these pathways are built greatly faster in-between repetitions than during repetitions. Also these pathways are built greatly faster in-between repetitions than after repetitions.

So, according to the article, if we need to learn to play some difficult place, the most efficient way to do it is to play it several times non-stop, than to rest for 10 seconds, than to play it several times again, than to rest for 10 seconds again, and to repeat this cycle many times. The research data shows that 6 first cycles is where progress is most rapid and where about 60% of supposed daily maximum is reached. And 10 cycles is a point at which about 80% of daily maximum is reached. After that the progress slows down significantly. Certainly the chosen motor skill in the article is much simpler than real piano playing, so some numbers may be different for piano playing, but the principle remains the same.

Full text is available at Biorxiv for free.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have a feeling that when people know that they are under test, they will concentrate more. Also when people knowingly use a certain strategy or any kind of 'plans', they will also concentrate more (making their brains thinking about it even in their sleeps).

In this case, if you don't rest enough you get tired and it's not surprising you will not get the best possible results.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I'm afraid some of us could miss the point of this extremely important article. It's not about taking a break or a nap after learning something. In fact a nap is never mentioned there. Nor the focus. It's about taking very short breaks while learning something (a motor skill), because these short breaks are required by the brain to build more advanced neural pathways. The fascinating discovery of this article is that these pathways are built greatly faster in-between repetitions than during repetitions. Also these pathways are built greatly faster in-between repetitions than after repetitions.

So, according to the article, if we need to learn to play some difficult place, the most efficient way to do it is to play it several times non-stop, than to rest for 10 seconds, than to play it several times again, than to rest for 10 seconds again, and to repeat this cycle many times. The research data shows that 6 first cycles is where progress is most rapid and where about 60% of supposed daily maximum is reached. And 10 cycles is a point at which about 80% of daily maximum is reached. After that the progress slows down significantly. Certainly the chosen motor skill in the article is much simpler than real piano playing, so some numbers may be different for piano playing, but the principle remains the same.

Repeatedly typing a five-digit code with the left hand is far different from learning a piano piece. Extrapolating the results of typing the code to learning a piano piece might be valid, but a healthy dose of skepticism is in order, as it is any time an extrapolation is made.

I'm a show-me-the-data person. I'd want to see the experiment repeated using the piano. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

For drilling purely finger memory I like to use what I call "change of context". You choose two different passages and drill each one for a few repetitions then switch to the other one. After you switch to a different context you have to work harder to get back the finger memory of the passage. It achieves the same effect as a rest but lets you work on two passages at once.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Stubbie

Repeatedly typing a five-digit code with the left hand is far different from learning a piano piece. Extrapolating the results of typing the code to learning a piano piece might be valid, but a healthy dose of skepticism is in order, as it is any time an extrapolation is made.

I'm a show-me-the-data person. I'd want to see the experiment repeated using the piano. smile
A valid demand! smile But, please, note that not only they have collected the experiments' data but they have also discovered the principle behind their findings, they have discovered what exactly happens in the brain in-between repetitions. I think it is extremely likely that this kind of neurological activity lies behind all motor skills learning from typing to basketball.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
For drilling purely finger memory I like to use what I call "change of context". You choose two different passages and drill each one for a few repetitions then switch to the other one. After you switch to a different context you have to work harder to get back the finger memory of the passage. It achieves the same effect as a rest but lets you work on two passages at once.
Yes. What you describe is called 'varied practice'. I use it, too. Great method! It would be tremendously interesting and useful if someone scientifically compared the effect of varied practice to the effect of the method described in the article. I hope this team of scientists will not stop their research in that field, too, and we will see new, more detailed experiments in the future.

But maybe we could combine the effect of this method with varied practice? What if we practiced two passages alternately with 10 seconds pause before each set of repetitions?

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

A valid demand! smile But, please, note that not only they have collected the experiments' data but they have also discovered the principle behind their findings, they have discovered what exactly happens in the brain in-between repetitions. I think it is extremely likely that this kind of neurological activity lies behind all motor skills learning from typing to basketball.
Yes, but they really have to extend their experiments to show more general applicability. I was happy to see some real, hard data collected. But I do always look with skepticism on publicity department press releases--which is what the original link led to--where "might" and "could" are used for extrapolation purposes, but where the authors of the paper would be more cautious.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,179
Posts3,193,596
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission