2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Alfred La Fleur, brdwyguy, 36251, buzzraygun, Andrew_G, 19 invisible), 1,030 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
I am helping a young student with piano lessons and would like to find some appropriate pieces for her. She really likes Shostakovich and Prokofiev. Sadly i know of no simple pieces from them. Difficulty level of Bach menuet in G major (BWV Anh 114) would be great. She played piano when she was younger for 2 years, but quit because of being forced with pieces she didn't like. And i see often how motivated the young can get when they hear themselves playing their favourite piece. I hope you can help me out with some ideas.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
What about Montagues and Capulets, easy piano?

Gurlett op 82 52

Banana Popsicle

Star Wars imperial March easy pisno

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmus...K1lry-XX9xT1nsikkOQSMxJwja8aAllLEALw_wcB

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Do you know of the two Easy Classics to Moderns volumes (Vol.17 & 27) in the Music for Millions series?

They each contain some 140 original easy piano/keyboard music from a huge range of great composers from 17th to 20th century, from Pachelbel to Stravinsky. There are a few pieces by Shostakovich and Prokofiev in them (probably the only ones they composed that are truly easy), but the main attraction of the volumes is that they contain such a diverse range of styles and eras that all classical students will be able to find pieces in them that they like, which they didn't know of before. (BTW, the Minuet in G you mentioned is in Vol.17.)

For instance, Shostakovich's and Prokofiev's contemporaries like Rebikov, Kabalevsky, Khachaturian, Myaskovsky, Bartók and Stravinsky have all composed tuneful, rhythmic and sometimes witty pieces that will appeal to students who enjoy that "modernist"-sounding style, and there are several easy pieces from them in those inexpensive volumes:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Classics-Moderns-Music-Millions/dp/0825640172

https://www.amazon.com/More-Easy-Classics-Moderns-Millions/dp/082564027X

I use them with my students, just as my first teacher used them with me when I was a child student, several decades ago.

Here are a few of the pieces from the volumes:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Bartok's "Mikrokosmos", perhaps ? I remember the last volume as difficult, but the rest were easy --

. . . after you got used to the weird rhythms.<g>

Those are available as free PDF files, via IMSLP. And there are several YouTube videos, with read-along score.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
M
M
That 6-year-old playing Prokofiev's Tarantella is awesome!

Kawai GX-2
Yamaha P-125
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
There are several albums that would work: Prokofief Opus 65 (Children pieces), Shostakovitch Opus 69, Kabalevsky opus 27, Katchaturian Album for the Children. Bartok For children is usually something kids like a lot. The full set in 2 volumes has pieces of varying degree of difficulty (so it can accomodate the growing abilities) but to start N° 1 and 2 are very simple.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The best thing about Mikrokosmos is that no one will know if you play wrong notes.

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I met people who get into playing very few pieces and ignore other composers or other pieces by the same composer than the ones they like. Teachers would assign pieces with different styles & by different composers. Some you would like more than others. Playing a variety of pieces is part of the process when you're taking music lessons. Some teachers would organize year-end concerts for students to showcase their playing to the parents. They can pick only the pieces they like.

Some composers like Bach, Handel, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt wrote many pieces for the piano. Other composers wrote for the orchestra & other instruments but not for piano. If you want to focus on specific composers like Shostakovich and Prokofiev, you can go to Wikipedia and get a listing of their works. To find a specific piece in a piano version, you'd go to a site like Sheet Music Plus and try your luck under the piano section. Many of the pieces comes in arrangements in different keys from easy to advanced.

I'm with a teacher and the books I used before her summer break below including a number of books from the Faber series you might like. The PlayTime Piano Classics Level 1 may be too basic for your student. The BigTime Piano Classics Level 4 I'm using may be the right book. The book has a variety of easy pieces arranged for piano including Massenet "Meditation", Fauré "Sicilienne", Chopin "Ballade" and others. Each piece is in large print and no more than 3 pages. The BigTime Jazz & Blues also from Faber is at the same level.

"First Lessons in Bach" is a book with a number of easier pieces from the "Notebook for Anna M" and by the composer. Here is a book with I & II together. You can buy them separately. Of course book I is easier. If you're into Bach, this is the book for you.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I agree that Prokofiev isn't one of the easiest composers for beginners... That's what I thought at first about:
1) Swan Lake Theme or Waltz of Flowers by Tchaikovsky
2) Barcarolle by Offenbach
3) Für Elise by Beethoven (the first part)
Hope these ideas may help.

M
M
Originally Posted by malkin
The best thing about Mikrokosmos is that no one will know if you play wrong notes.

I laughed out loud at that comment! It’s so true. My take on Bartok’s Mikrocosmos is that if it sounds like pretty music, then you’re playing the wrong notes.

Kawai GX-2
Yamaha P-125
B
B
I love this thread! Easy Kabalevsky and Bartok would be perfect for this student, as well as Rebikoff's "Playing Soldiers."

Last edited by Brinestone; 07/19/21 08:47 AM. Reason: Copied one of the links wrong

Piano teacher since 2008, member of NFMC
B
B
Eventually Grieg will also probably appeal to this student. Pieces like Elfin Dance and Sailor's Song, etc.

Piano teacher since 2008, member of NFMC

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,147
Posts3,132,907
Members102,756
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission