2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everybody!

A few months ago, I've presented my recording of the "Menuet" from Debussy's Suite bergamasque. Now another part of this early masterwork is ready: the "Passepied"! Thank you for listening and maybe even commenting!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed this very much. I like the tempo, although I might go a little more "non troppo" than you (maybe that's because I was never able to get it quite up to your tempo!), but it certainly works in your interpretation. You have, I feel, a good sense of Debussy's style of writing in this piece: crisp and clear.

Thank you for sharing.

I always enjoy your performances.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
very good, I enjoyed it very much.
I would like more if it could have more emotional contrast

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Nice interpretation. The tempo is just fine for me, you could even give it a little more punch if you like at the beginning. Soon you can play the whole suite end to end ....

Blüthner model 6
S
S
Very nice. A few quick comments.

Opening in LH a bit flat. How about a tiny accent on the first of each quadruplet to give it a bit more bounce?

You have a lovely light touch - can you make it clearer what you're playing as staccato or legato? And when the LH is staccato, try to play any legato in the RH without pedal to provide the contrast.

You keep losing momentum, sometimes almost coming to a stop. Maybe it's how you feel it but it doesn't work for me at all. It's a dance after all! There are only one or two places in the piece where I would put a slight rallentando.

I love the tempo, but there are several passages where you run away a bit. Be aware of these.

Bravo! (excuse the nit-picking)

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you BruceD! The question of the "right" tempo is a very interesting one! I think more and more, that everybody has to find his or her own tempo, the one in which the player can express his or her feelings. Maybe one person sounds perfectly in a certain tempo, but somebody else needs more time in order to create a similar atmosphere? Just go for it smile Music has something to do with freedom of speech, doesn't it?

P.S. You also wrote: "I always enjoy your performances." – Thank you so much cool

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you, zonzi!

I see a certain conflict of goals between strong emotional contrasts and steadiness which is also required in this piece. But you certainly made a very interesting suggestion, I'll have to think about it!

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Soon you can play the whole suite end to end ....

Thank you, Sidokar! Yes, I'm very close now cool There is just the most famous Clair de lune missing smile I'm working at it, but I always need some time until I think: Now I can show what I did.... About the "punch": Thank you for the suggestion, I wanted to begin in a very relaxed way, but there could also be a different approach. Who knows how I'll begin this final piece when it is preceded by the whole Suite? This will make a big difference for sure!

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by stephen22
Bravo! (excuse the nit-picking)

Don't worry, stephen22, I'm fine with it smile

– About the tiny accents: I'll have to try, I simply ask myself how I should go on as soon as the right hand joins in? I think, then these accents would disturb the flow?
- About staccato and legato: This is a nice idea worth thinking about! Let me just say that staccato can also be very nice while using pedal, the different touch can still be heard....
- About losing momentum: Of course there shouldn't be too many places where the music slows down. But Debussy indicated quite a few of them, according to my Bärenreiter Urtext Edition: I see such indications at bar 43, 80, 87 and 142, and when "premier tempo" is required at bar 106, there must be a certain rallentando before, even though it's not indicated smile
- Of course running away is never a good option, accelerating should always take place in a controlled, voluntary way smile

Anyway: Thanks a lot for all your hints, I'll certainly think about them!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission