2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
How was your piano tuned?

Aurally or using a tuning app?

K
kre Offline
K
There has been several comments on piano designed specifically for early classical composers. How the does one build or design a modern piano for Mozart, for example? Mozart played early fortepianos that had clearly differentiated registers, different tuning and pretty much everything was different than what we have.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sonepica
When I play the double string notes together with some notes in the right hand, it sounds harmonious. But when I play the single string notes with some notes in the right hand, it sounds unpleasant. Almost like the piano isn't in tune.

The single string notes will be further away from the rh than the doubles so there will be more octaves and more stretch in the tuning between them. How harmonious does it sound if you play the single string notes and in the rh notes in just one or two octaves above the left?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by gwing
When I play the double string notes together with some notes in the right hand, it sounds harmonious. But when I play the single string notes with some notes in the right hand, it sounds unpleasant. Almost like the piano isn't in tune.

The single string notes will be further away from the rh than the doubles so there will be more octaves and more stretch in the tuning between them. How harmonious does it sound if you play the single string notes and in the rh notes in just one or two octaves above the left?

It's specifically the single strings vs the double strings, even without going too much further down the piano.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
I have no complaints about the action, which handles pp playing very well. I'm still not happy about the single string bass notes which have a bit of a "boink" sound. I remain hopeful this is just an issue of wearing in the hammers and strings.
If this is the effect I can hear during the opening of the Rach II, then unfortunately, it will not go away unless you replace the string. My C6 had the same artifact, and the only thing to remedy that was to replace the string. Replacing the hammer had no effect.
Well I do not think you should take this advice.Sonepica please just let the piano settle down!!! Perhaps you should end this thread or start a new one in the technician's forum.(I do not even think "you" could even be "safe" there, please let go!)
The more extraneous suggestions you get the more obsessed you will become. At the moment I do not beleive you can "see the wood from the trees".Are you even "hearing your piano" correctly anymore or do you wake up and think about THAT single string bass note?
You need to let go!
This is a period in your life that you need to be enjoying your
wonderful new piano.The more you go on in this way, the more you play into other people's notions, subjective and at times absurd suggestions.Please do not "hit back" I have your best intentions in mind.

Last edited by tre corda; 06/23/21 05:16 PM.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by tre corda
I have no complaints about the action, which handles pp playing very well. I'm still not happy about the single string bass notes which have a bit of a "boink" sound. I remain hopeful this is just an issue of wearing in the hammers and strings.
If this is the effect I can hear during the opening of the Rach II, then unfortunately, it will not go away unless you replace the string. My C6 had the same artifact, and the only thing to remedy that was to replace the string. Replacing the hammer had no effect.
Well I do not think you should take this advice.Sonepica please just let the piano settle down!!! Perhaps you should end this thread or start a new one in the technician's forum.(I do not even think "you" could even be "safe" there, please let go!)
The more extraneous suggestions you get the more obsessed you will become. At the moment I do not beleive you can "see the wood from the trees".Are you even "hearing your piano" correctly anymore or do you wake up and think about THAT single string bass note?
You need to let go!
This is a period in your life that you need to be enjoying your
wonderful new piano.The more you go on in this way, the more you play into other people's notions, subjective and at times absurd suggestions.Please do not "hit back" I have your best intentions in mind.

That's what I'm going to do, just play it in for 12 months and see if the hammers wearing in, the strings wearing in and the new woods settling changes things.

Last edited by Sonepica; 06/23/21 05:32 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

When a broken bass string (one of the single strings) on my U3 was replaced, I instantly noticed that it sounded different from the notes around it. It sounded thiner and lacked the growl of the other notes. Now, after a year or more I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it and the other strings. So I think that the strings do indeed need wearing in. Combined with the hammers hardening and becoming shaped to the strings, it may mostly resolve the problem.

When I first played a Hailun 218, I was surprised that the sound seemed weaker compared to many other pianos such as Yamaha and Kawai, even weaker than the smaller Hailun pianos. But the second time I played it 6 months later, I'm don't seem to have noticed this. Perhaps 6 more months on the showroom floor hardened the hammers and fixed the problem.

Keep in mind my piano was literally right out of the box. So we'll see what happens in 12 months. Anyway, if the bass on my S7X doesn't resolve, you'll all crowd fund me a new one, right?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Or perhaps a Fazioli 308?

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Or just order ONE new, very big, very hard hammer.Perhaps a kingsize Renner will do? ( do however keep the original one, because you probably will need it in the future)
I just have a feeling 😕 I will not be very popular if I try and organize a "go fund you" Fazioli!

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have also played new Yamaha C7Xs where I noticed the notes became weaker as you went down into the single string notes. I think it's probably an issue caused by the bass strings on the C7s being big, long and heavy and still stiff, and the brand new hammers being soft. I'm pretty confident it will resolve in time.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Or perhaps a Fazioli 308?
You have your Fazioli, just let it settle down.The piano is fine.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Does anyone know how the Fazioli 278 compares to the 308? I assume the 308 is better in the bass. But is it a better piano in all respects, assuming one has the extra budget and the extra space? Or does making the piano an extra foot longer than a normal concert grand have some disadvantages?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
No, it wasn't that I got used to it. The new string clearly sounded different from the original strings. That's no longer the case.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing

It's specifically the single strings vs the double strings, even without going too much further down the piano.

It's funny that you say it's like it's not in tune, because tuners have a lot of discretion when it comes to stretch and how they handle inharmonicity. On top of that, some struggle with the lowest and highest notes, and just sort of fake it at the extremes anyway.

So I'd be curious if the same tuner who prepped the piano you like is the same one who recently tuned your piano.

Anyway, beyond that I'd just say enjoy your awesome new piano, and see how it settles in. thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

R
R
Back in the other old thread, I said

Originally Posted by redfish1901
I'd suggest sticking with concert grands. There is no substitute.

I wonder if the OP agrees now. There was so much back and forth about how it would be too loud, etc.

Last edited by redfish1901; 06/25/21 08:17 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

I wonder if the OP agrees now. There was so much back and forth about how it would be too loud, etc.

Keep in mind, I haven't said that *all* 7'6 pianos have an inadequate bass. I thought the bass on that other S7X compared quite well with the CFX. It was warmer and richer, while the CFX was more clear and pure.

In terms of being too loud, I mentioned that if I play with the lid open I get a bit of ear fatigue. On the other hand, with the lid closed there is a substantial reduction of sound quality. So I'd say there probably is a case to be made for a concert grand being too loud at home, at least with the lid open.

The bass on my S7X isn't bad, it's probably at least as good as the average C7X or S7X. I'm still hoping the bass will improve with time, and otherwise I'm quite happy with the piano. There are some very highly paid jobs in my profession and if I get into one of those one day in 5 or 10 years time and have enough space I will probably drop the money on an F308 or whatever. Until then, the S7X will do nicely. Definitely beats my old U3!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Some disagree but very few pianists, even professionals, find the sound of a good 7' or greater piano inadequate for home use. And many would find a concert grand too loud for home use.

R
R
There are some very highly paid jobs in my profession

Oh no, not one of those mathematicians turned quants for hedge funds.

I know several of them who retired very early (30s). Totally off topic, I know, and yes, there are nice personal monetary gains, but I think society as a whole loses out. Most of them just retire and stop doing interesting math, science, etc. Just one I know went back to "work" and still contribute their talents to society.

Last edited by redfish1901; 06/26/21 03:33 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Some disagree but very few pianists, even professionals, find the sound of a good 7' or greater piano inadequate for home use. And many would find a concert grand too loud for home use.
I totally agree!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission