2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
R
R
My take on these are from a playing experience only.

I have Ivory American D - Ravenscroft 275 - Ravenscroft Modern U - Garritan - Pianoteq Demo

Of these, Garritan is the best. The sound is just amazing. It takes awhile to get the settings right depending on what you are playing. Once done though, there is little this VST cannot do.

Ravenscroft 275 is also pure magic and is easier to setup as there are less controls to play with. It's really about getting the mics to your liking. It can play anything, but it does not shine like the Garritan. Hard to beat when playing classical stuff however. I really like it when playing music that is not to bombastic.

Ravenscroft Modern U is an Upright. Great for practice. If anything it sounds to nice for an Upright. I have never played an upright that sounds as good as the Modern U. However, it really feels and sounds like an upright. You can almost smell it.

American D- I get why people loved this when they bought it. 10 years ago, I would have loved it. Today, not so much. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying to themselves or have not had the pleasure of trying something like the Garritan. It's not in the same league.
It's generic and lifeless. It's the only one I am disappointed I got.

Pianoteq was simply not my cup of tea, but to be fair, I only tried the demo. it has a lot to offer and lots of people like it.

That's it. That is all I got.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
C
C
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
Pianoteq was simply not my cup of tea, but to be fair, I only tried the demo. it has a lot to offer and lots of people like it.

Ron
The review says Pianoteq has more color, which I agree with from the demo. With modeled VST there's almost unlimited number of combinations possible, but when you play a single note without all the complex math interactions going on it just sounds too plastic.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Gamma1734
The most surprising observation for me was how good the Silk Piano from Aria sounds, the first in the video, I never hear anything about it, or just very negative things. It has a terrific sound! (but is not very playble admittedly)

Yes, after starting your video yesterday, I was much surprised by that Silk Piano as well and already decided to look into that further. However your playability remarks put me off a few minutes later. That just has to be spot-on. And now I see that it requires full Kontakt as well, which is a no-go for me.

How unfortunate!

Cheers and happy VI learning,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
That's it. That is all I got.

Ron

Maybe, but a very nice summary indeed with great essentials! Thank you for this.

(And glad to read that you are happy with your recent Modern U addition--and that you can almost smell it 🤔 😄).

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
HZ, Ron, I also bought the Modern U before a discount coupon I had expired. It is, of course, now my favorite. I’m a little disappointed the preset for the NV10 doesn’t seem to work on mine. I should have known. Since my action is so much lighter than the factory standard. That did teach me to adjust the curve on all my VST’s to a bit lighter. For a realistic piano sound it is the best I have. The R-275 is still the most beautiful for ballads. Do I need to load these into Garage Band to record them?

Kawai NV10
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@ˆTomLCˆ, nice to read your impression too, and as it appears you are another fan now.

I don't use any presets, kept everything as natural/default as possible, with only minor tweaks especially after 'meeting' an old upright last week or so, which was the perfect reference to get it all even a little better in realism.

Unfortunately I have no clue on Garageband, I just play and know absolutely nothing about DAW/recording and all that stuff.

Cheers and Enjoy,

HZ

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Garritan CFX is amazing. One of the best I've ever played.

Playability is awesome. The only thing is it's difficult to get a dry piano sound because of the resonance in the samples.

It can be overwhelming at times but despite that it sounds amazing and most importantly out of all the libraries I've tried, ones I own and ones at a friend's place, to me it is one of the best and well worth the money.

I'm almost scared to express my opinion fully on Pianoteq we have a lot of folks that really dislike it. Only thing I could say is if you don't like it then don't use it. But at the same time it will be nice if the Pianoteq Haters recognise that everyone experiences sound differently and even if it isn't your cup of tea, it is for others.

The Anatomy of the brain, neurological make up, and even physical shape of the ear canal all play a role in how we experience sound. Some of us are sensitive to different frequencies. Others not so much. Some of us have a gift of perfect pitch, others have a range of relative pitch. others ,,,well less fortunate but again relative pitch can be developed,, to a certain extent at least etc etc.

anyways.

The newer models are pretty good to my ears. playability of Pianoteq is untouchable it feels amazing and alive.

Currently falling in love with the latest petrof they released I can't recall the name at this time .. Mistral or something so.
Their Bechstein is also lovely. Probably my favourite model from them..
The Steinway isn't bad but it does sound,,, how to put this,,, traditionally pianoteqish?.. But I haven't gotten a chance to try
the newest steinway. Still waiting on an midi cable to arrive. Sigh.
The New York steinway they released sound decent from the demos and what is available online at least.
There is a Pianoteq Dude on YouTube who really brings out how nice they can be. Goes by the name Phil. I will post some of his videos.

Amazing musician. He has an uncanny ability to connect with Pianoteq and produce lovely recordings.

Ravenscroft is also very playable. Every single key is heard and is awesome to cut thru a mix if you are into that.

Only mic position I like though is the player mic. The other mics sound too harsh for me.

Playability was pretty good and very responsive. The tone I can see some people liking it and others not so much . Not sure how to describe my relationship with ravenscroft lol.. Sometimes I like it sometimes not so much.

Depends on my mood I guess.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Maverick and Gentleman. Played those by a friend.. Didn't get to spend much time with them but they had pretty unique sounds. The Maverick in particular had a very unique sound that was almost harp like. That's the best way to describe it to my ears. An Angelic tone so to speak.

Anyways the above are just my opinions

Cheers.

Last edited by Mta88; 06/26/21 05:32 PM.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've been wanting to purchase the Maverick for sometime now. Haven't decided as yet I see it comes as a trio with the the Gentleman and the Grandeur.

Not bad. 3 pianos for 199US.. but for now CFX and Pianoteq is enough for me.

Maybe I'll scratch that itch at a later date.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
D
D
Noire

Piano in blue

Hammersmith

In no order.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I want to like the Garritan CFX. The sound is superb. But the sustain pedaling is all screwed up, rendering it unusable.

I have the light version. I don't know whether the full version has the same problem.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

@ Mac³: I have the full version and no problems.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
I presume that this is a response to a comment I made ...
Originally Posted by Tyr
@ Mac³: I have the full version and no problems.
But I don't know what comment that was.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I want to like the Garritan CFX. The sound is superb. But the sustain pedaling is all screwed up, rendering it unusable.

I have the light version. I don't know whether the full version has the same problem.

I had the light version and hated it! So, I upgraded at a discount (Sweetwater) to the full version and it’s far better. I’ve never noticed any pedal problems, I’m using a Kawai ES110 with its superb pedal.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
C
C
Originally Posted by Mta88
I've been wanting to purchase the Maverick for sometime now. Haven't decided as yet I see it comes as a trio with the the Gentleman and the Grandeur.

FWIW, I'd reach for each version of the CFX (Garritan, VSL, Noire) or Pianoteq before The Maverick every time!
Not that it's bad...but the others are really good!

I have that trio ... Grandeur, Gentleman, Maverick.
I have mixed feelings.

1. If I could have purchased only the Grandeur I'd have skipped the other two.

2. The Grandeur is a good Steinway, and it's easier to control than the Vintage D.
But it has a flaw in the bass. Sometimes a note will honk for some unknown reason ... loudly ... when sustained.
It's mostly avoidable. But once I got good at controlling the Vintage D I lost interest in the Grandeur.

So if, as you say, the CFX it enough for you, it's just as well you put off purchasing these.

O
O
Still Noire, until I can get VSL CFX. Which means a new PC as well...

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I have that trio ... Grandeur, Gentleman, Maverick.
I have mixed feelings.

1. If I could have purchased only the Grandeur I'd have skipped the other two.

2. The Grandeur is a good Steinway, and it's easier to control than the Vintage D.
But it has a flaw in the bass. Sometimes a note will honk for some unknown reason ... loudly ... when sustained.
It's mostly avoidable. But once I got good at controlling the Vintage D I lost interest in the Grandeur.

So if, as you say, the CFX it enough for you, it's just as well you put off purchasing these.

Agreed..

This past year messed up a lot of folks financially

Better to hold off and see how the following year goes .

Cfx remains awesome

Btw the full version is much better to my ears

You should consider it.

I haven’t had any issues with pedaling so far.

But I used a high end Yamaha pedal with half pedal ling though. Can’t remember the name

Soon as my midi cords arrive I’ll test it out on the korg with the ds1h pedal and give some feedback

Last edited by Mta88; 06/27/21 08:06 PM.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
O
O
My biggest issue with Pianoteq is that the presets have no presence, they sound far away. I'm not willing to fork out the (incredibly) large amount of cash for the full version 'in case' it sounds better.
When I flip between Pianoteq, Noire and Vi labs Italian the latter 2 just sound infinitely better.
I still have an open mind, there are great players on here that are really impressed with it - so there must be something I'm missing or not doing right.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don’t like far away sounding pianos either. That’s partly why I prefer the Player (close up intimate mic samples) over Classical (far away big room mic samples ) in Garritan’s Abbey Road CFX.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
G
G
it's easy to fix that, just reduce the resonances knob to about 50%

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission