2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3132658 06/29/21 06:20 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Brand new to piano. I’m sure there’s a very simple yes or no answer to this, but I don’t know it.

Triads and arpeggios. Do I need to practise them in every key?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
If you are really an absolute beginner, then you probably want to wait a little while.

But, yes, eventually most people learn to play the scales and arpeggios in all the major and minor keys. How far you go with that is up to you.

What you can do as a beginner is learn to spell triads and chords - a very useful skill for pianists.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My first teacher had me do the following my first year, 5 finger patterns and the circle of 5ths. You'll want a teacher or someone to watch you though, and observe your technic.

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/e111c3b1de6989a56c56c9358ac1b2399a4d7cc6

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I've been playing for a while. I don't run through every key for warmup. Some people would run their scales starting from C, C#, D, D#, E, etc. 1 by 1. I can run through different scales by ear but usually only practice the scale of the piece I'm working on. I've been working on a Bach chorale in G. I only run through the key of G and the notes of the arpeggio: G-B-D.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At the very least practice root triads around the circle of 5ths; work your way up to I IV V root triads round the circle. It’s like memorizing your multiplication tables, you should have those down cold.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
S
S
Originally Posted by Stevedenvir
Brand new to piano. Triads... Do I need to practise them in every key? Steve

Practicing triads is pointless unless you can remember and do them instinctively. If you are having to stop and figure out each one it is a waste of time.

And unless you are some sort of musical genius there are just too many combinations to learn all at once. You have to find a way to reduce the complexity of the problem, by limiting yourself to what you can reliably remember and build up from there.

Personally I found that the triads that I learned as part of a piece of music are far more solid than just practicing a random series of triads with no context or musical connection. There are plenty of beautiful sounding chord progressions you can find out there and these will embed each triad into your musical brain much better than random practice.

For an absolute beginner I'd suggest there's no need to go anything more than keys with two sharps and flats. Anything more will just over-complicate matters.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I began nearly nine years ago with a teacher. I didn't do much in the way of scales until 18 months in, and probably no arpeggios for three to four years. I did find waiting until I was a little more experienced to be a great benefit.

I don't practice scales or arpeggios in every key, rather I concentrate on those needed for exams which can be a big workload anyway.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Arpeggios would be too difficult for an absolute beginner. Wait it up, probably 1/2 years.

Practicing triads, recognizing them instinctively will be very useful IMO. When I was a kid I discovered triads by myself and was amazed by their beauty and tried them out in all keys. This helped me a lot further on where I would be able to recognize tonality and modulations instantly, helps memory a lot.

My kind of contrarian opinion here hence is do practice triads, they are easy, beautiful and very useful.

Enjoy !

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Practice is not the word I'd use. Try to get to know them in every key eventually. Try to learn to immediately "see" each scale on the keyboard. From that, the chords will follow.

S
S
I learned 100x as much about triads from learning variations of this baroque piece as I would have done from random practice. Something like this has the same chord progression repeated over and over again in the bass in different inversions. So you only learn eight triads but you know them inside out. Broken and straight.

(start at 28 seconds)

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I would also add learning theory as to how they're created is very helpful too.

Originally Posted by ranjit
Practice is not the word I'd use. Try to get to know them in every key eventually. Try to learn to immediately "see" each scale on the keyboard. From that, the chords will follow.

What word would you use? Isn't that exactly where practice gets you? You can't just "get to know them" it takes a lot of time and practice to know scales, triads, arpeggios in various keys. It's one thing to play them from a written score but a whole different level to know them very well. Maybe I'm mistaken just my take on it...

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sebs

What word would you use? Isn't that exactly where practice gets you? You can't just "get to know them" it takes a lot of time and practice to know scales, triads, arpeggios in various keys. It's one thing to play them from a written score but a whole different level to know them very well. Maybe I'm mistaken just my take on it...
+1 on theory. It really trains your skill of juggling chords in your head.

I guess it sort of is practice, but not quite as most people perceive the term. At least what worked for me to directly train the skill was to visualize it in my head, in my "internal keyboard", away from the piano. You want to recognize the scale shapes as a visual image in your head. And then the triads will build on top of that. By doing this, I was able to get a hang of most of the scales in a few months. I've heard that not everyone can visualize equally well, YMMV.

Last edited by ranjit; 06/30/21 01:35 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sebs

+1 on theory. It really trains your skill of juggling chords in your head.

I guess it sort of is practice, but not quite as most people perceive the term. At least what worked for me to directly train the skill was to visualize it in my head, in my "internal keyboard", away from the piano. You want to recognize the scale shapes as a visual image in your head. And then the triads will build on top of that. By doing this, I was able to get a hang of most of the scales in a few months. I've heard that not everyone can visualize equally well, YMMV.

It is practice because scales are not just to learn the notes but to learn to listen: are they connected? Any notes bumped ? Can you play Mf in one hand and pp in another? Etc.

They are a component of developing technique

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Stevedenvir
Brand new to piano. I’m sure there’s a very simple yes or no answer to this, but I don’t know it.

Triads and arpeggios. Do I need to practise them in every key?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Triads and arpeggios are fundamental building blocks of music composition.

If you want to be able to play music in every key, it pays to know them (both "in theory" and "in practice") in every key --

. . . but you don't have to learn them all at once.

If you're content to play music in only certain keys, you could (in theory) only practice triads and arpeggios in those keys, and their 4th's and 5'ths (e.g. for C major, just C, F, and G).

Unlike a guitar or ukelele, there's no capo for a piano.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission