2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by BruceD
Yeah, I mean, like how many goals did they score in that baseball game?
HAHA
As a hockey person, I use 'period' for all time increments in sports, LMAO!!!

For music, piece.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Asking is different from what I was talking about, which was correcting someone's usage.
the OP did not propose a usage to be corrected. The OP was asking, and listed the various terms out there.

OP Offline
In spite of its ubiquitous use in the media, the word "song" for any piece of music can be misleading except to the uninitiated which means, probably, much of the general public.

BrucieGurl - I figured someone like you would answer this way. Were you just snob-baited? Lol. We are not the general public. We are educated musicians. There's quite a difference. Most of us understand that a "song" contains lyrics and not all "pieces" contain them. However, some of us prefer to refer to the music we play as songs or tunes. To say that we are uninitiated and to imply that you are initiated is condescending, I.E. snobby. This is a musicians (piano) forum. Where do you get off talking down your nose to us?

But when one refers to a "song" to mean an instrumental piece by a composer who wrote songs (for voice) as well as instrumental music the designation becomes problematic. If one knows the appropriate term, use it. If others find that elitist, that should not be our problem.

Only problem is your snobby attitude. We know the "appropriate term". We just prefer to call it a song or a tune. An instrumental is one small step away from a song. Just add lyrics and presto: song. It's a preference and it's not like it's a big stretch. Get over yourself. It's obviously "elitist" of you to act snobby. The proof is in the pudding.

You think you're so cool with that gold donation badge. Hate to break it to you but you're not a moderator though you frequently act like one. You have zero authority here. Stop acting like a grammar cop and a forum cop. You're neither. I can tell how you were as a kid. You were a teacher's pet that stuck his nose in everyone's business and tattled every chance you had. You got rejected by most and beat up on the playground for it on a regular basis. You haven't changed much, have you? No one likes a snobby teacher's pet or a tattletale.

You're just a punk with a big mouth. Think it's okay to be rude just because you aren't talking to someone in person? How contemptible! I see you constantly controlling and correcting people on this forum. What is this, the third time you've been bossy and mouthy in response to one of my threads? I hope you'll consider apologizing for your consistent bad behavior or are you the unapologetic type? You're certainly self-righteous.

Snob-baited and exposed! Ha!

"Regards",
Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Online Content
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
In spite of its ubiquitous use in the media, the word "song" for any piece of music can be misleading except to the uninitiated which means, probably, much of the general public.

BrucieGurl - I figured someone like you would answer this way. Were you just snob-baited? Lol. We are not the general public. We are educated musicians. There's quite a difference. Most of us understand that a "song" contains lyrics and not all "pieces" contain them. However, some of us prefer to refer to the music we play as songs or tunes. To say that we are uninitiated and to imply that you are initiated is condescending, I.E. snobby. This is a musicians (piano) forum. Where do you get off talking down your nose to us?

But when one refers to a "song" to mean an instrumental piece by a composer who wrote songs (for voice) as well as instrumental music the designation becomes problematic. If one knows the appropriate term, use it. If others find that elitist, that should not be our problem.

Only problem is your snobby attitude. We know the "appropriate term". We just prefer to call it a song or a tune. An instrumental is one small step away from a song. Just add lyrics and presto: song. It's a preference and it's not like it's a big stretch. Get over yourself. It's obviously "elitist" of you to act snobby. The proof is in the pudding.

You think you're so cool with that gold donation badge. Hate to break it to you but you're not a moderator though you frequently act like one. You have zero authority here. Stop acting like a grammar cop and a forum cop. You're neither. I can tell how you were as a kid. You were a teacher's pet that stuck his nose in everyone's business and tattled every chance you had. You got rejected by most and beat up on the playground for it on a regular basis. You haven't changed much, have you? No one likes a snobby teacher's pet or a tattletale.

You're just a punk with a big mouth. Think it's okay to be rude just because you aren't talking to someone in person? How contemptible! I see you constantly controlling and correcting people on this forum. What is this, the third time you've been bossy and mouthy in response to one of my threads? I hope you'll consider apologizing for your consistent bad behavior or are you the unapologetic type? You're certainly self-righteous.

Snob-baited and exposed! Ha!

"Regards",
Stormbringer
I find this post particularly obnoxious and uncalled for. I have actually disagreed with Bruce and the many others who agree with him about the use of "song" but I certainly have not resorted to name calling when I did so. And I perfectly understand where he is coming from.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/04/21 09:07 AM.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Everyone step back, take a deep breath, and relax.

When a thread devolves into badgering and name calling it accomplishes nothing.

I created these forums as a place for people to come and learn, share knowledge, maybe even make some
new friends. It's ok to disagree with someone, it isn't ok to demean them.

Please remain civil to each other and keep discussions on track.
If you are unable to do that, you will lose your privilege to post on my forums.

Closing this discussion now.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission