2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
With all of the new models coming out, and with our home finally nearing completion in the next couple months, I am looking at purchasing a new instrument for a dedicated music room. I will be making the rounds to test out all the different models myself, but I have some questions.

Appearance: What are some sites where I can get a 360º view of the pianos? I want to be able to see if the piano looks nice on the back as I will want to place it in the middle of the room. I am not necessarily sold on the baby grand style cabinet, but I do like them. Aside from those, it seems like the Yamaha CVP-809, N1X, and Kawai’s new NV10S would have a sexy look all the way around, but I can’t tell for sure.

Action: This is not really a deal breaker for me, as long as it is reasonably enjoyable. I have played piano since I was a child, but my daily right now is a Roland non-weighted keyboard. I play Baldwin and Wurlitzer baby grands at church, nothing exceptional.

Sound: Important to me, but judging by the feedback on this forum, the quality is there for the models I’m looking at.

Features: Important. I usually layer in strings/pads so I will want something similar so I can prepare and practice for worship services. The CVP in this area looks fun, but definitely not necessary. The N1X control/display looks way too basic so I’m not even sure it would work for me. I haven’t researched the NV10S very much since it just came out. The number of voices is not as important as long as the included sounds work for my intended use. (I still don’t understand why, in 2021, you can’t load custom patches/sounds on instruments in the “digital piano” category!). I liked someone's suggestion in another thread to buy the DP you like and then use whichever separate MIDI controller you like for the sound, we will see!

Lifespan: What about longevity, Yamaha vs. Kawai? I’ve looked at so many specs that my head is spinning, and those are half marketing anyway. It doesn’t seem like I could go wrong feature wise with all the advancements that have been made over the last 10-15 years, but I do want it to have a long life.

Price: I want to keep it under $10k. The CVP and NV10S might be a little above what I am wanting to spend. But with MacMacMac’s expert guidance I’m sure the store manager will be begging me to take the piano for half price! :-)

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
P
P
It's such a tough question. I've played on acoustic most of my life and had a CP4. I didn't like the CP4...
I tried some of those models you are looking at, I liked the N1X, didn't like most of the clavinovas.
I ended up with a 515 because I couldn't justify the price difference.
If you play on a non weighted keyboard I think you will be fine with any good action...

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Acoustic: Yamaha
Digital: Kawai

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I want to be able to see if the piano looks nice on the back as I will want to place it in the middle of the room.
I assume you will have a plugin in the middle of the room as well? If running an extension cord across the floor, the visual aesthetic of the back will be the least of your problems.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Seems like you're a little bit unsure of what you want regarding CVP vs Hybrid

CVP pianos are arranger instruments.
Hybrid digital pianos have no arranger functionality.

If you don't want all that, the Hybrid instruments and Kawai CA 99/Yamaha CLP785 are all superior to the CVP with regards to value match.

If you want a more kick-arse action but still want arranger functionality, then there are VST arrangers, although you could pick up a fairly cheap Tyros 4 used and control it through the hybrid etc.

With regards to longevity, I would think you'll easily get 20 years out of a hybrid piano. OK, you might need to regulate the action now and then, replace a few parts if they expire etc... However, both Yamaha and Kawai parts are pretty much available still a decade after model release.

Also, I would go try these instruments out. Definitely don't buy before trying when you are spending so much. Everyone can have their own opinion about which instrument is best, but that opinion might be down to the person's taste, which might not chime with yours. Even if it means travelling or waiting for restrictions to ease, with that outlay, it's important to compare the main contenders yourself.

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/28/21 05:47 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I don’t know why anyone would buy a CVP unless they own and manage a piano-bar.

So you need ‘sounds’ (violins, trumpets, bells, and such), but there are so many cheaper alternatives that it’s not even funny. And I’m not even talking about VSTs, which is the best way to go for ‘sounds’, but also about all-in-one type hardware pianos/synths.

I’m not sure if this is important to the OP, but the action and speakers on the CVP are no better than the CLP, yet you’re paying so much more for that there tuba and samba backup track, and no, you won’t be able to create anything remotely ‘believable’ with the CVP; whereas, you could produce a realistic-sounding ‘ensemble’ recording from scratch (including vocals and studio-quality effects) on something like a Kronos for half the price; throw in an ‘old’ computer and a few VSTs to the mix and you might even fool Quincy Jones into thinking these are ‘real’ musicians recorded at a state-of-the-art studio.

Conclusion: the CVP is an overpriced band-in-a-box with some tacky samba and mambo accompaniments!

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pete14

So you need ‘sounds’ (violins, trumpets, bells, and such), but there are so many cheaper alternatives that it’s not even funny. And I’m not even talking about VSTs, which is the best way to go for ‘sounds’, but also about all-in-one type hardware pianos/synths.

I’m not sure if this is important to the OP, but the action and speakers on the CVP are no better than the CLP, yet you’re paying so much more for that there tuba and samba backup track, and no, you won’t be able to create anything remotely ‘believable’ with the CVP; whereas, you could produce a realistic-sounding ‘ensemble’ recording from scratch (including vocals and studio-quality effects) on something like a Kronos for half the price; throw in an ‘old’ computer and a few VSTs to the mix and you might even fool Quincy Jones into thinking these are ‘real’ musicians recorded at a state-of-the-art studio.

Conclusion: the CVP is an overpriced band-in-a-box with some tacky samba and mambo accompaniments!

Some people like to have a sequencer, and enjoy arranging music. In which case, you can have either a workstation, a PC with software, or an arranger. These days, the arrangers are pretty good for a number of things. I think that if you want a top end unit with some workstation capability that is a piano, the CVP is probably your only option.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I want to be able to see if the piano looks nice on the back as I will want to place it in the middle of the room.
I assume you will have a plugin in the middle of the room as well? If running an extension cord across the floor, the visual aesthetic of the back will be the least of your problems.
Absolutely! The workers almost forgot to run the conduit before they poured the foundation, but I was quick to remind them!

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Seems like you're a little bit unsure of what you want regarding CVP vs Hybrid

With regards to longevity, I would think you'll easily get 20 years out of a hybrid piano.

Also, I would go try these instruments out.

Yes, aesthetics are close to the top of my list, which is why I am also considering hybrids and arrangers. Those particular models I mentioned have the look I want, they just happen to be in those categories. And about 20 years is what I was hoping for. I have plans over the next few weeks to try these in person. I suspect I will be drawn to one category over another when I actually play them.

T
OP Offline
T

A Kronos and an old computer sitting in the middle of my music room is not *quite* the look I was going for. grin

If I was passionate about recording/producing then what you said makes sense. But my passion is playing the piano in my own way, and enjoying the experience and the beauty of the instrument in a peaceful setting.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TexasBear
A Kronos and an old computer sitting in the middle of my music room is not *quite* the look I was going for. grin

If I was passionate about recording/producing then what you said makes sense. But my passion is playing the piano in my own way, and enjoying the experience and the beauty of the instrument in a peaceful setting.

What if I throw in a matching -wooden- stand, a Mac Mini (tucked underneath and out of sight) some serious cable management (hiding), and a beautiful tablet to control it all wirelessly; do we have a deal? (I’ll throw in a pair of headphones, too).

This is my final offer; I’m losing money here! grin

T
OP Offline
T

What if I throw in a matching -wooden- stand, a Mac Mini (tucked underneath and out of sight) some serious cable management (hiding), and a beautiful tablet to control it all wirelessly; do we have a deal? (I’ll throw in a pair of headphones, too).

This is my final offer; I’m losing money here! grin

Pete14 let me check with MacMacMac and I may make you an offer!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Try them at stores. Buy the one you like best.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Try them at stores. Buy the one you like best.

Yes I plan to do that! Some things that are difficult to discern in a store environment are:
1. Seeing a full 360º view of the piano - All the different models are usually right next to each other and it is difficult to get around to the back of the piano to see what it really looks like.
2. Hearing how it sounds - The store isn't very quiet with all the other customers and the acoustics of the room itself. I am going to be playing the instrument in a room at my home, which doesn't compare to the random environment of whichever store the piano is at. I don't plan on using headphones all the time in my music room at home.

Any feedback you have on how to overcome these challenges is welcome!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Shop early in the day when the rock guitarists are still in bed?

Also, shop at a piano store if possible, rather than a general music store. At a dedicated piano store that also has acoustic instruments, they tend to space the instruments apart more (so you can see around them 360), and it tends to be more peaceful. If a lot of people are practicing, ask the staff what's a good time to come by when there are usually fewer people. They probably know.

And if you DO test out the piano in the store and find the one you like, please buy it there, don't try to save $50 buying it online. First off, they provided the show room for you to make your choice. Secondly, you know where they are if your instrument has any problems. And in ten to twenty years, it'll be nice if they're still in business if you want to upgrade to the latest beautiful piano tech.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
J
J
I bought a Kawai MP-7 approximately seven years ago. Last year (six years on the MP-7) keys started randomly--I think--not sounding. Then they come back. Then they stop sounding again. Or a different key or keys stop sounding. I have nothing against Kawai, and I bought the MP-7 because I have long respected the brand. I have one big "however," however, and that is that the Yamaha P-150 "Electronic Piano" (plus other voices) that I bought in around 1990 (30 years+!) is still going strong. I still respect the Kawai brand, but if I had to buy a new board right now, it would definitely be a Yamaha. I think that they are pretty much bulletproof. YMMV

Last edited by jeffreyfranz; 06/29/21 11:14 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyfranz
I bought a Kawai MP-7 approximately seven years ago. Last year (six years on the MP-7) keys started randomly--I think--not sounding. Then they come back. Then they stop sounding again. Or a different key or keys stop sounding.

Please contact Kawai America.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
With all of the new models coming out, and with our home finally nearing completion in the next couple months, I am looking at purchasing a new instrument for a dedicated music room. I will be making the rounds to test out all the different models myself, but I have some questions.

Appearance: What are some sites where I can get a 360º view of the pianos?

Try the virtual tour at Faust Harrison (not all their stores have this.) https://faustharrisonpianos.com/westchester-piano-store/

I do believe some of the videos on Yamaha's official site show the Clavinova from different angles. Consider wires and other cabling that you might need, before deciding to place a piano in the middle of a room. Wishing you well in your search!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
J
J
Thank you, James. I have read many of your posts over the years, and I believe I heard you play one time. I meant to include in my post an aside that I am a chronic procrastinator and should have contacted Kawai for service/assistance a long time ago.

Last edited by jeffreyfranz; 06/30/21 03:01 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks everyone! I will try to post updates as I make the rounds to try these different models!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission