2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3133084 06/30/21 05:14 PM
B
Bykhoff Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi,

I looked up some of the teacher ads here for instructors in NY but the few that were available were quite far from me. I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and I'm considering starting up lessons again. I'm trying to find a good teacher that would help me develop the technique skills and musical knowledge to eventually be able to tackle works on the level of Beethoven's 7, 8, 15, 17th, as well as works by Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Schumann, Chopin (a man can dream, can't he?), Debussy, Prokofiev, etc.

I'd prefer if the instructor can demonstrate whatever they are trying to get across. He/She'd would have to reasonable fees (in my world, that's $50-75 for a 45-60 min lesson).

As a side note, what are online/video lessons like?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Bykhoff

I can’t answer the question about remote vs in person lessons, since I have never taken remote.
You can search for a teacher by zip code at mtna.org.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
have taken lessons on brass instruments online, by Skype. They were very productive.

It might be even easier to do on piano, because the mechanical motions are large and observable. I haven't tried that myself but I am considering it.

I have taken part in rehearsals on Jacktrip, which is a method of reducing latency. This would seem unnecessary on piano unless you insist on doing duets with your teacher. Actually if you do that you'd probably be better off emailing an mp3 to play along with. Jacktrip worked but we found some of our older members were overly challenged by the technology.

For online lessons you don't sign a lifetime contract. You might end up trying several to find a good fit, that might be way easier virtually than in person.

gotta go practice
My aspirations for repertoire is very meager but I'm on a similar quest. I've spent a good bit of the afternoon looking for 1:1 virtual lessons. My dream would be to have online lessons with an instructor close enough I could visit if necessary after covid...the instructor, however, may be retired by then with the lingering spikes.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
I have studied on-line in various formats. In the context of one-on-one teaching, you have the actual real time lesson on Zoom or similar; you can also create videos and sound files - we use a shared Dropbox section - your teacher can create the same. I.e. more variables are available. In fact, some teachers who teach in-studio the normal old way, have embraced some of these things and may direct their students to videos, mp3's or other resources they have created.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
My aspirations for repertoire is very meager but I'm on a similar quest. I've spent a good bit of the afternoon looking for 1:1 virtual lessons. My dream would be to have online lessons with an instructor close enough I could visit if necessary after covid...the instructor, however, may be retired by then with the lingering spikes.

Have you tried mtna.org? You can search by zip code and distance

Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys

Have you tried mtna.org? You can search by zip code and distance

Yes, I stumbled upon that organization. No one in my immediate area. There are several about an hour or so away.

Maybe I should just start contacting a few. I can tell many have full-time jobs in school systems (email addresses) so my desire for a Tuesday mid morning appointment won't work.

Thanks for the suggestion. My own insecurity is holding me back...

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
SunnyKeys
You might check with any of the following;
An acoustic piano tech in your area, a university, a large church’s music director

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sunnykeys - another idea is to try contacting some of the people on the mtna.org list, particularly if they’re affiliated with a music school, and ask them if they know any good teachers in your area.

SunnyKeys
You might check with any of the following;
An acoustic piano tech in your area, a university, a large church’s music director

Good suggestions! The gentleman who tuned my piano for the first time is 80+ years old. He would love to give it up but says there is no one good in the area that can tune pianos. I did ask him and he gave me the name of someone who does a lot with children's music programs in area churches. I was able to see her Facebook page. Now
I don't remember her name. We do have a sizable community college. I haven't checked with them.

I temporary Facebook account would probably yield valuable information too.

Last edited by SunnyKeys; 07/20/21 05:38 PM.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
SunnyKeys
Looks like you have a couple of prospects. Great! I hope something works out close to home, because I don’t think you would want to drive one hour each way to take an in-person lesson when COVID subsides.

I found my first piano teacher by reading the symphony orchestra profiles, and the second through my tech. When you live is a small town, you need to get creative. Teachers are out there- they don’t all advertise or belong to the mtna

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Another thought on the teacher search.

Is there a military installation somewhere near you? Although some have reduced their bands, some still have a military band. These are pretty proficient musicians, most of them with music degrees even though they are enlisted soldiers. Degrees are not required but the competition to get in drives this (as well as the lack of jobs outside the military for a lot of instrumentalists.)

There will definitely be a highly skilled keyboardist with any military band. They aren't paid much, though they get good benefits, and most of the band teaches some private lessons. So they work cheap. Naturally they don't play much classical in their day job, but they've had some training.

gotta go practice
SunnyKeys
Looks like you have a couple of prospects. Great! I hope something works out close to home, because I don’t think you would want to drive one hour each way to take an in-person lesson when COVID subsides.

I found my first piano teacher by reading the symphony orchestra profiles, and the second through my tech. When you live is a small town, you need to get creative. Teachers are out there- they don’t all advertise or belong to the mtna

In my case, I subbed at BUNCO last night. Saw a friend I hadn't seen in a while. She had mentioned her son played, but I didn't realize he taught. Turns out this was clarified for me. I spent 2 hours with him today. If husband doesn't object (too much) I will begin next week.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
Originally Posted by TimR
Another thought on the teacher search.

Is there a military installation somewhere near you? Although some have reduced their bands, some still have a military band. These are pretty proficient musicians, most of them with music degrees even though they are enlisted soldiers. Degrees are not required but the competition to get in drives this (as well as the lack of jobs outside the military for a lot of instrumentalists.)

There will definitely be a highly skilled keyboardist with any military band. They aren't paid much, though they get good benefits, and most of the band teaches some private lessons. So they work cheap. Naturally they don't play much classical in their day job, but they've had some training.
Great idea! But I'm not close to a military base...although come to think of it, there is a bombing range not far from us but they must fly in from the coast. I met with an instructor today and home to begin next week. Thanks for your reply.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Let us hear how it works out!

Last edited by dogperson; 07/21/21 05:18 PM.
Let us hear how it works out!

First lesson went 15 minutes over because instructor was enjoying imparting great information to me! We worked on tetra chords and how they create major chords. I've seen/heard this info before and just gave it cursory attention. Circle of 5ths also discussed. Again, I've heard of it and didn't pay close enough attention.

My hand position requires attention and I will be working on that for the next week, (check that, foreseeable future...) along with reviewing above theory.

I'm all in to do what is necessary. The time and financial commitment are both driving factors.

I will no doubt post more about future lessons.

As we were discussing the tetra chords, etc. he asked if I had questions. I said I should have been recording the lesson. He encouraged me to do so! I will start that next week and see how it goes.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
T
T
Thank you guys for the great information. After a month of emailing and inspecting out-of-date bulletin boards I tried mtna.org.

Now waiting for responses. As always, great advice!

Last edited by tholepin; 07/28/21 08:57 AM. Reason: misspelled mana.org

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission