2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (Anthem, Appalachian, AJB, Abdol, B3boy, Andrew E., 36251, 15 invisible), 636 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Jadam Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello pianoworld, first post here after lurking for many years and gaining so much insight from you all along the way!

The short summary: looking for a good upright, budget around 15k ($). No room for a grand. I’m a jazz, rock and soul player. My daughter also plays but if she had a choice (currently serving her third year of a five year “piano sentence”), she’d just as soon not play, so this purchase is primarily with me in mind.

The contenders (with a handful of these just beyond my budget):

Yamaha YUS5,YUS5SH2, YUS5TA2
Seiler ED-132M
Bechstein A124, A114
Petrof P125
Kawai K500, K800
Schimmel C120
Sauter 122
W. Hoffman T122, T128, P126
Feurich Vienna 123 (not sure this is available locally)

The longer story: currently have an AG N2 which has served us very well. It allows for practice at any hour and sounds and plays well enough that I don’t think I’m playing a digital but a real instrument. And yet, there’s still something missing. Had an opportunity to play someone’s real grand and I was just amazed at the sound, feel, response that only a real instrument can give. Many of you obviously know this only too well. Years ago, before purchasing the N2, I had looked at uprights like the U1/U3, K500, Perzina, and a Charles Walter. I recall that I didn’t find them very inspiring at the time (I remember I liked the K500 the best). The N2 was not on my radar then but soon became the front runner as it was (then) cheaper than an acoustic with silent option.

Fast forward four years, and I’d like to be get a good acoustic upright, since that is all I have space for and ultimately want something inspiring to play (don’t we all). My budget has increased as well. I had thought of keeping the N2 and just getting an acoustic (yes, I have room for two verticals, but sadly not enough for one grand), but after going to my local Yamaha dealer, I had a chance to play a YUS5 trans acoustic. The acoustic tone and touch was wonderful and I really bonded with it (round bass, warm mids and a refined treble, great action). But then I also played with the silent mechanism engaged. Wow! No loss of touch or change in playability. And playing through headphones was incredibly immersive. MUCH better than the headphone experience on the N2. This started me thinking, despite the conventional wisdom often observed here that most have a digital and acoustic rather than an all-in-one, that maybe the YUS5 TA could replace my current N2 and provide the best of both worlds (my wife certainly likes the of only one piano).

My search started today, but will also try all the others mentioned above just for good due diligence. But I feel I could have been very happy with YUS5 TA. If I go this route, I would have to sell my N2 privately since my dealer wouldn’t give very much on a trade-in. The price quoted was around 21k, but this was before any real negotiation.

I’m still very excited to try all the others, particularly the Bechstein and the W. Hoffman although I expect none of those would have the digital integration as well implemented as the Yamaha (Kawai probably being the exception). Used is also an option should the right piano come along. For those other options, this would (likely) still involve keeping my N2 since I do practice at early/late hours sometime.

Just for giggles, I also got to play a floor Bosendorfer 130. It was amazing, a piano that only got better the more you played and dug in. But I wasn’t so sure it was 3.5 times as good as the YUS5 (that was the price difference). Still, it was great to know what one of the best uprights made (allegedly) sounds and how it plays.

Anyway, I’m curious to hear other’s thoughts who’ve taken a similar journey or who own the YUS5 with a silent or transacoustic option. Also would love to know if there are any other models that come to mind that I should play.

Avantgrand N2
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
For jazz, rock, and soul, I'd think a Yamaha YUS-5 or Boston UP-132E PE would work well and should fit within your budget. I'm not sure I'd go for the Kawai tone or European tone for rock music, but the K-500 and K-800 also are excellent pianos. Nothing wrong with the others in your list, but I prefer a 50" or larger upright. (Others may disagree).

Last edited by Sweelinck; 07/06/21 02:44 AM.

Repertoire interests: early Baroque through early Romantic eras.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You might consider a Steinway K or Mason & Hamlin 50.

Semipro Tech
J
Jadam Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Before I purchased my N2, I did try a M&H vertical - my memory of it was it had a thunderous bass but also a heavy action (I had played two of the same models, one new, one slightly used but they were quite similar). I recall not connecting so well with it - and at that time it was far above my budget so that I didn't give it further consideration. With that said, the local Petrof dealer also has M&H, so will try them again. They also carry Perzina as well which I will play again. My memory of that one (perhaps a 129?) was a really nice round bass and tone, but very very mellow in the treble. I did come back to that one a few times during my search, so I wonder if I will feel differently about it today. Looking forward to taking a second look!

Avantgrand N2
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
IMO, YUS-5 TA2 would be a good choice for a jazz, rock and soul player.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
IMO, YUS-5 TA2 would be a good choice for a jazz, rock and soul player.
You might also want to try a Schimmel K130. I’ve heard great reviews on the Schimmel Konzert pianos and I personally love Konzert grands.

Since you’re shopping I would recommend trying as many different uprights as you can. Best Wishes on your search!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jadam
Before I purchased my N2, I did try a M&H vertical - my memory of it was it had a thunderous bass but also a heavy action (I had played two of the same models, one new, one slightly used but they were quite similar). I recall not connecting so well with it - and at that time it was far above my budget so that I didn't give it further consideration. With that said, the local Petrof dealer also has M&H, so will try them again. They also carry Perzina as well which I will play again. My memory of that one (perhaps a 129?) was a really nice round bass and tone, but very very mellow in the treble. I did come back to that one a few times during my search, so I wonder if I will feel differently about it today. Looking forward to taking a second look!

If pianos made in China are on your list, the Baldwin B252 definitely would be worth trying.

Repertoire interests: early Baroque through early Romantic eras.
J
Jadam Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sweelinck - thanks for that mention of Boston and Baldwin - I personally have no issue with where a piano is produced although that can be a hot topic for many. If it plays well to me, is well-made and is in the budget, then that's my criteria for evaluating.

J&J - I forget to mention this earlier, but my local Yamaha dealer who also carries Schimmel had no Schimmel uprights in stock. He mentioned that these are mostly being produced for and sold to customers in China so are now harder to source in the US. I can't verify that obviously, but there were certainly none for me to try. Too bad as I was looking forward to playing them.

Avantgrand N2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well out of most of the ones already mentioned the ones I have tried and liked are the K500, the YUS5, and the Hoffman T130. At a higher price range the CBechstein A124 and the taller Schimmel C130. The most ideal being the CBechstein Concert series (124 and of course C8) Also Schimmel K132, and Seiler SE124 and130.
I have heard that the Petrof and Mason and Hamlin uprights are very nice as well.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
About 4 years ago I played a Baldwin B252 and I really liked it.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sweelinck - thanks for that mention of Boston and Baldwin - I personally have no issue with where a piano is produced although that can be a hot topic for many. If it plays well to me, is well-made and is in the budget, then that's my criteria for evaluating.

J&J - I forget to mention this earlier, but my local Yamaha dealer who also carries Schimmel had no Schimmel uprights in stock. He mentioned that these are mostly being produced for and sold to customers in China so are now harder to source in the US. I can't verify that obviously, but there were certainly none for me to try. Too bad as I was looking forward to playing them.
As far as I know Schimmel uprights are certainly available in the US and in Europe.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/schimmel/

Last edited by tre corda; 07/06/21 05:03 PM.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

J
J
I’m new here.
I find it always difficult to provide accurate feedback.

Recently received my P126.
I took weeks to make my choice.

Played/tried:
A124
A4
T128

And a Concert 8… out of price for me.

My choice was T128.
Lots of piano for the cost.

That’s was until my dealer received the P126, which I did not take in account until then.

Live at first sound. Very musical from top to bottom.
Sound is round, all notes have the same personality.

All in all, very happy. I also played with some Hoffmann grands. My P126 is the one that gives me the same feeling as a grand.

Was a no brainer _for me_.
Hope that helps.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano! By a P126, I presume you.mean a Petrof 126? We love pictures on PW and would love to see one showing your new piano in your home sometime.

Last edited by tre corda; 07/10/21 09:04 PM.

I thought he meant the Hoffman Professional series upright ???

M
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
As opposed to the T-series Hoffman. The A4 appears to be an Academy upright. New model, or new line? Most of the Bechstein Academy pianos use the height in cm.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 07/11/21 10:48 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JRacine
I’m new here.
I find it always difficult to provide accurate feedback.

Recently received my P126.
I took weeks to make my choice.

Played/tried:
A124
A4
T128

And a Concert 8… out of price for me.

My choice was T128.
Lots of piano for the cost.

That’s was until my dealer received the P126, which I did not take in account until then.

Live at first sound. Very musical from top to bottom.
Sound is round, all notes have the same personality.

All in all, very happy. I also played with some Hoffmann grands. My P126 is the one that gives me the same feeling as a grand.

Was a no brainer _for me_.
Hope that helps.
Yes I see that Ray is correct.There is a P126 under the W Hoffman pianos.The larger soundboard and longer strings will give a bigger, fuller tone.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/bechstein-c/

Last edited by tre corda; 07/11/21 12:35 PM.
J
Jadam Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Congratulations on your new P126!

It looks you and I share some of the same model preferences. I’m glad to hear the the P126 was the finalist - I do look forward to trying this one soon.

As I mentioned earlier so far I’ve only recently been able to play a YUS5, which I really liked (and that was surprising since the last time I tried Yamaha verticals three years ago, I walked away without it leaving a big impression - perhaps this specimen was different).

I understand that the Yamaha and Kawai verticals will be different sounding than the European models I listed in my original post. Can’t wait to see if it makes a big difference to me.

Avantgrand N2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new P126!

It looks you and I share some of the same model preferences. I’m glad to hear the the P126 was the finalist - I do look forward to trying this one soon.

As I mentioned earlier so far I’ve only recently been able to play a YUS5, which I really liked (and that was surprising since the last time I tried Yamaha verticals three years ago, I walked away without it leaving a big impression - perhaps this specimen was different).

I understand that the Yamaha and Kawai verticals will be different sounding than the European models I listed in my original post. Can’t wait to see if it makes a big difference to me.
I am glad the YUS5 has been mentioned.There are probably quite a few good uprights around apart from Bechstein pianos and brands.At some stage I may have to replace my Yamaha C2 with something.I am not sure yet with what, so am taking my time with even the thought of doing so.I imagine either with a CX or GX grand. Otherwise a 124 to 130 upright of some sort. Baldwin, Kawai 800 or 500, YUS5, otherwise spend more and buy a European upright? Bechstein( 118 in concert range) Academy 124, Schimmel C or Konzert, Sauter(if I could find one) Forster,or Petrof? Perhaps even a Boston baby grand?
I certainly have not tried all of these, just some.Perhaps too early to have shared since it is not happening at least for a few months.

J
Jadam Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by tre corda
Perhaps too early to have shared since it is not happening at least for a few months.

FWIW, my purchase is not happening for at least 4-5 months, but I know the search could take that long. If I had the room, I would take a C3X and be done with it. Every time I’ve played one, I’ve connected with them extremely well. Alas, it’s not possible right now, so if could find an upright that gives me 75% of that experience, I’ll consider that an achievement.

Avantgrand N2
M
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
You have a Grotrian dealer in the Bay area. Worth a look.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP 745 Sound problems
by robablob - 08/19/22 08:04 AM
Zeitter & Winkelmann
by Steve Freides - 08/19/22 07:35 AM
Favorite headphones?
by Hummingbird - 08/18/22 09:42 PM
Recommendation for digital piano to take ABRSM exams
by galapogos - 08/18/22 09:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,461
Posts3,217,523
Members106,119
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission