2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!
I'm moving to a city 2 hours away by car from where I currently live in a few weeks, and some friends will help me with the move.
The original packagings for both my Kawai VPC1 and KRK Rokit5 G4 are all in place. Besides packing them in their original packaging, any other things to pay attention to when transporting these two audio things? Is there a way to keep the VPC1 in a reliable condition so that it doesn't become unusable when I settle at my new location?
Thanks!
David

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd say move it yourself in your car - don't let ANYONE else handle it, except to assist you putting it in your car. Do not trust friends or movers to move it carefully, because only you care about it enough to be careful, if that makes sense. Oh, and don't fly with it, but since you're 2 hours away it sounds like you're driving so you should be good wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'd say move it yourself in your car - don't let ANYONE else handle it, except to assist you putting it in your car. Do not trust friends or movers to move it carefully, because only you care about it enough to be careful, if that makes sense. Oh, and don't fly with it, but since you're 2 hours away it sounds like you're driving so you should be good wink

Thanks! I'm completely blind, so I don't drive, but my friend will. He is suggesting that the VPC1 go with him in his car, away from the big truck that has other stuff. What other things I should let him know?
Thanks!

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Does it fit your friend's car? I have a Honda Fit, my ES-8 barely fitted when back seats were down to make space for load and I had it in the original box. I am not sure how bigger (longer) is VPC-1 box (it is certainly wider and taller) but if your friend's car (or SUV) has space, then it is certainly the way to go.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Does it fit your friend's car? I have a Honda Fit, my ES-8 barely fitted when back seats were down to make space for load and I had it in the original box. I am not sure how bigger (longer) is VPC-1 box (it is certainly wider and taller) but if your friend's car (or SUV) has space, then it is certainly the way to go.

I sent him the specs and he says that it fits his car!
So, that's one thing out of the way.
What other things he will need to pay attention to? This is a first time for me to move such things.

Last edited by David Lai; 07/05/21 07:12 PM.
David,

If you get someone to put the VPC1 back in its original box, and use the styrofoam cutouts to isolate the unit within the box, the way you received it, you should be good to go.

IIRC, once I'd removed the piano from the box, there was nothing to do with it but put it up on its stand, so... it's not like there are moving parts that you have to isolate to keep them from bouncing around while it's in transit.

The VPC1 is a pretty rugged little beast. As long as no one drops it or throws it around (you'd have to be a gorilla to manage to do that!), I wouldn't worry too much about it! smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
David,

If you get someone to put the VPC1 back in its original box, and use the styrofoam cutouts to isolate the unit within the box, the way you received it, you should be good to go.

IIRC, once I'd removed the piano from the box, there was nothing to do with it but put it up on its stand, so... it's not like there are moving parts that you have to isolate to keep them from bouncing around while it's in transit.

The VPC1 is a pretty rugged little beast. As long as no one drops it or throws it around (you'd have to be a gorilla to manage to do that!), I wouldn't worry too much about it! smile

I see. Thank you! smile Should it stand up, or lie flat in the car, or whatever? Is their a preference for a position?
Thank you very much!
David

M
M
Originally Posted by David Lai
I see. Thank you! smile Should it stand up, or lie flat in the car, or whatever? Is their a preference for a position?
Thank you very much!
David

I think lying flat is best, but it should be fine if you need to stand it up on its side. I recommend standing it on the back side (not where the keys are) so you're at least keeping weight off of that piece that sits in front of the keys. With the original box it should be fine, but just in case.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think lying flat is best, but it should be fine if you need to stand it up on its side. I recommend standing it on the back side (not where the keys are) so you're at least keeping weight off of that piece that sits in front of the keys. With the original box it should be fine, but just in case.
Sounds good. I will let him know. Thank you!!!
I guess no special requirements when transporting the KRK speakers? Hopefully the tweeters will not be poked in. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hu dey and good luck David.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David Lai, All the good, sensible advice has already been given by yourself and by the responses above.

So this is mainly to wish you good luck and a smooth move!

As long as the Rokits are also originally packed and go in your friend's car with the VPC1, they should be fine as well.

Should your friend turn out to be too optimistic and the VPC1 doesn't fit in his car after all, I'd suggest renting or borrowing a larger vehicle, not putting your instrument in the truck as a last minute measure.

Cheers and happy new living space(s),

HZ

M
M
Originally Posted by David Lai
Sounds good. I will let him know. Thank you!!!
I guess no special requirements when transporting the KRK speakers? Hopefully the tweeters will not be poked in. smile
If they're in the boxes, they'll be fine - perhaps have them laying down on a side so that they won't tip over, or snugly (but not too tightly) fit in with other luggage to prevent them from tipping. But really the original boxes are designed for shipping, so they're pretty well protected. Hope your trip goes well!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the great advice and well wishes for moving, very much appreciated!!! My friend is recommending that the keyboard and speakers go with his car and not the big moving truck. We have all original packaging, so that should be fine. Thanks for confirming my decision and offering tips!!! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got my used VPC1 at a city 375km from my home. I drove my car there and had the VPC1 sat on the truck of my car, with last row of seats bent to make up for the needed space. I set the Kawai in horizontal. I had not the original box, just put some soft and thick fabric material under it.

I did not find any troubles on arrival, so if kept horizontal and on its box, it should do it perfectly thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I got my used VPC1 at a city 375km from my home. I drove my car there and had the VPC1 sat on the truck of my car, with last row of seats bent to make up for the needed space. I set the Kawai in horizontal. I had not the original box, just put some soft and thick fabric material under it.

I did not find any troubles on arrival, so if kept horizontal and on its box, it should do it perfectly thumb

Thanks for your perspective, Jose! That's good to know that setting it horizontally is not a bad idea. I'm excited about this upcoming process!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi David,

Just in case... When I say horizontal I mean flat, as it is usually set over a desk. I would not put it on its side if you can put it flat

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!
Sorry I'm digging this thread up again, because my friend just told me that his car can't fit the big box the VPC1 comes in. So, with original packaging, my VPC1 will have to go with the U-Haul truck. The positive thing is, another friend will be driving the truck.
Question: with original packaging, what other inforcing measures should I take to make sure there are no sticky keys when I unbox the VPC1 when I arrive in my new location?
The truck will be a 20-foot long one.
Thanks!
David

U Haul offers furniture blankets to protect furniture in transit. Use them to wrap the keyboard.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
U Haul offers furniture blankets to protect furniture in transit. Use them to wrap the keyboard.

I see. Thank you, Mac Mac Mac! So the keyboard and the box, correct? Because I'm planning on boxing it up soon, but the U-Haul will not arrive in a few hours. Should I wait to box it up after its arrival instead?
Thanks so much!!!
David

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David Lai, Yesterday I thought of you and your move, and wondered if it was all over and would have gone well.

So for now: definitely pack your VPC1 in its original box, and then wrap the blankets around the closed box. You don't want dust and other dirt from those blankets on/in your keybed, so no blankets directly around the VPC1!

Stow the blanket-wrapped box securely in the van so it can't move during the drive.

All the best!

HZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission