2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 226 of 237 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 236 237
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Speaking about Twinkle, Twinkle, a few years ago I made a reharmonization that I notated and published here.

This morning I rerecorded it on the N1X with the binaural CFX patch, so here it is:

You can download the PDF HERE

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/11/21 03:59 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by HZPiano
From a listener's perspective, I prefer your playing and sound over the Rowan Hudson example.

HZ

This is why I love blind testing... HZ: the "rowan hudson" example is actually Chick Corea original recording...

CG: beatiful chords on your reharmonization. You cannot let Mozart win, do you? (nod to variations k265).

Btw, either we refocus on discussing the n1x dynamic range or this is going seriiusly OT.

C
C
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Btw, either we refocus on discussing the n1x dynamic range or this is going seriiusly OT.

Well let's face it, this topic is anything but focused. That ship has sailed a long, long time ago...

...but I'm not complaining, because the content is generally quite high quality anyway.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by vagfilm
HZ: the "rowan hudson" example is actually Chick Corea original recording...

😀 I did suspect that, nice to now know for sure. However I just listened to the three examples with an open mind (and ear) and wrote my impressions 👍.

Now, if @CyberGene has regained his energy and gusto, maybe he'll make a proper recording with the N1X internal CFX sound--and with playing he is sufficiently satisfied with himself.

Thus, we'd easily be able to re-rail this thread 😋.

Cheers and happy dynamics,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Csillag
...the content is generally quite high quality anyway.

+1

HZ

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
+1 (except for my posts)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This thread has been derailed for quite some time.
Originally Posted by HZPiano
We'd easily be able to re-rail this thread.
I think someone should simply start a new thread.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Speaking about Twinkle, Twinkle, a few years ago I made a reharmonization that I notated and published here.

This morning I rerecorded it on the N1X with the binaural CFX patch, so here it is:

You can download the PDF HERE

thumb

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
This rocket should get us back on track, Mac!

An interesting bit of information, Bezos’ rocket is not only bigger than Branson’s rocket, but it will also go deeper into space (62 miles compared to Branson’s 50).

Is Bezos’ longer ‘pivot’ the reason for his longer reach (62 miles)? I say no, and the only reason his rocket is longer and will reach deeper into space is for bragging rights and to outshine the much humbler Branson!

Are we to extrapolate anything from this? I say yes!

Think pivot obsession syndrome (POS); it’s not the longer pivot that gets you there, it’s the longer hours (at the piano)……and we’re back on topic……

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
36251, Nice work!

Kawai NV10
S
S
@CyberGene, I really like what you did there with your reharmonization! Excellent taste and without unnecessary flourishes. Just right! 👏
I wish I had enough will to study some theory, including harmony, to have some of that fun.

I've been a bit busy with work, but I said I'd post another follow-up on the action of my N1X after the visit from the technician. Indeed, I've been playing a little more, and the action is much looser. The friction issues are entirely gone, and I am pleased with this new "playing experience." It is true that after what the technician said about a proper regulation, I am more inclined to go ahead and do it. Nevertheless, the difference is tremendous already.

Now, this is a gigantic mountain I started slowly climbing a few months ago. I know it will take a long time, but my teacher always tells me that gradually we can make the impossible possible, so I'll keep pushing. Anyways I hope it shows a little bit of how the "new" action feels while playing something more demanding, so I'll shame myself a little for your viewing displeasure 🤣

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SuperSonic, I always look forward to your break from this forum, because I've come to expect a performance afterward! This is no exception :-)

I like your neat setup and we may be one of the few who have placed the N1X against the wall without facing any sound issues. Well done; happy to hear the keys have been regulated to your expectations!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
S
S
@mmatthew indeed! I don't mind having the N1X against the wall at all. I almost always wear headphones not to disturb the neighbors, and when I don't, I am far from an audiophile, as you can clearly see by the sheet music covering part of the speakers 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I was under the impression that the ‘bass’ speaker for the N1X was firing towards the wall (back), but this video shows that it’s actually firing towards the floor (downwards). At around 1:52……

S
S
Not so much towards the floor, but more towards the player's knees. They're actually facing the front, slightly tilted down and when the volume is quite high, there's some nice feedback. Even though it's not like the vibration from an acoustic, it really creates a more immersive experience.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
srslysupersonic, amazing progress 😲 I’ve attempted op.10 no.1 a few times and it was apparent it was too much above my level. Would be tempting to attribute it to your teacher for my own peace of mind but no, it’s not your teacher 😀 You’re just very talented!

It’s nice to hear your N1X is finally up to standard. Luckily for me mine has always been perfect which is the reason why I’ve been praising it since I bought it. I hope Yamaha maintain their manufacturing and regulation procedures strictly enough in the future, so that as many N1X pianos as possible reach customers in a pristine regulation state and so that your case was just an exception.

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/23/21 03:03 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by srslysupersonic

Excellent job ! Keep at it, difficult stretches at any tempo.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by srslysupersonic
Not so much towards the floor, but more towards the player's knees. They're actually facing the front, slightly tilted down and when the volume is quite high, there's some nice feedback. Even though it's not like the vibration from an acoustic, it really creates a more immersive experience.

srslysupersonic, you own one so you must know better, but at around 1:52 I see what appears to be a ‘speaker’ on the left side facing down (towards the floor). It also seems to match the stated dimensions for the N1X’s “one” subwoofer (about 6”).

Is that round ‘opening’ (left side facing down) just an ‘escapement’ port?

S
S
Indeed Pete, there's one speaker there too! I never even noticed it 🤦‍♂️ But the big speaker cover is indeed facing front, slightly tilted down.

@CyberGene I also fell (still feel) the same way. But my teacher says that even at slow tempi this is a wonderful exercise for the hand. Here, I was playing way faster than my studying speed just to see what I could push. Of course, I still need a lot of slow practice to improve accuracy, evenness, etc.

@Dave I find Paul Barton's suggested practice exercises for this particular study, very very helpful to let the hand memorize the distances of those streches. Especially the one where we play together the second and third semiquavers of each group. Terribly difficult, but really effective.

Anyways, the new feel of the action helps trying to push the limits, but I think this is one study where one needs to refrain from such urges until the hand has been properly trained. That, for me, is still a difficult mental exercise that requires patience and regular practice, which are things I need to work on 🤣 It's funny, because the more I study the more I am baffled by the fluidity and musicality that the great pianists can attain at those crazy execution tempi.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
srslysupersonic, I think we’re on to something here:

Yamaha states 3x8cm, 2x13cm, and 1x16cm; based on the configuration shown in the video, this seems to line up with 3 top speakers (8cm) + 2 forward-facing-by-the-knees speakers (13cm), and 1 left-side-downward-facing subwoofer.

As the video shows, there’s only 1 left-side-downward-facing speaker, yet no right-side speaker; this seems to line up with Yamaha’s specs (only one subwoofer).

Now, it could also be that there is another 13cm back-firing speaker; in which case the left-downward-facing speaker is the second ‘matching’ 13cm, and, as you suggest, the 16cm subwoofer is enclosed in the ‘box’ facing the ‘knees’.

Page 226 of 237 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission