2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
So, looking up and down all the time is not a bad habit?
No. It's a proper way to learn. It diminishes with time naturally.

The most common mistake that leads to loss of place in the score is moving the head up and down instead of moving the eyes only.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
So, looking up and down all the time is not a bad habit?
There's an appropriate amount of looking at the keyboard based on the piece's difficulty/layout on the keyboard and pianist's level. No one would expect a conservatory student to have to constantly look at the keyboard when playing a Bach chorale but a much less advanced student would probably have to look more. What an advanced student considers a big jump is not the same as what a less advanced thinks is a big jump.

If you watch the best pianists in the world play from the score they will all occasionally look at the keyboard unless perhaps if they are playing a very elementary piece.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/18/21 04:19 PM.
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
It's very good that you asked, because it really leads to many sorts of bad habits. The main task of first piano years is to develop a good touch, when every finger approaches every key from the optimal angle and touches it gently but confidently in the optimal place where you have maximum control over the key, trying to make every keystroke easy and pleasant. It may all be disrupted when you try to play blindly in that period. It may lead to attacking keys from weird angles, when you have to stretch or squeeze your fingers, it may lead to weird fingerings, because you'll intuitively avoid hand position changes, it may lead to bad habit of playing too deep on the black keys, it may lead to bad habit of touching keys before playing them in order to find correct ones, it may even cause fear of touching keys, because you'll be afraid of pain of touching sharp edges of keys. It all leads to bad, uncertain touch. Precise spatial feeling is perhaps the most slowly growing piano skill of all, it requires many years to be developed, and until then, please, forget about that bad advice and watch your hands as much as you need to develop proper key attack.

My two cents.
If there were a "like" button, I'd press it. You have described a lot of things I'm overcoming to a T.

I did not get taught not to look down, but I was also not taught anything else. I was a child who was given a piano and notation and I learned to "read" in a way where I heard what I saw in relative pitch and I simply felt my way around the keyboard. In fact, when I returned to piano 35 years later, the first time I tried to look at the keyboard I got disoriented. I cannot even describe how I did relate to it. The music I had available when young was a bunch of sonatinas, mostly Clementi, so I also stayed in the mid-range of the keyboard, 90% white keys, mostly with the hands in 5 finger span, and this puts your hand into a fixed shape, and region of the keyboard. There are also things that you don't learn to do.

One of the things I am learning to do now is to move in for mostly black keys, out for mostly white . I am overcoming the tendency to stay in one place and stretch: since I have a relatively wide span for my hand size (stretch hands, thumb to little finger forms a straight line), the habit is stronger - also twisting at the wrist. Children and older students who were taught differently never even have to learn to move their hands about. Nor does anybody think twice to do so when reaching for ordinary things in their lives.

In other words, everything you just wrote.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It's very good that you asked, because it really leads to many sorts of bad habits. The main task of first piano years is to develop a good touch, when every finger approaches every key from the optimal angle and touches it gently but confidently in the optimal place where you have maximum control over the key, trying to make every keystroke easy and pleasant. It may all be disrupted when you try to play blindly in that period. It may lead to attacking keys from weird angles, when you have to stretch or squeeze your fingers, it may lead to weird fingerings, because you'll intuitively avoid hand position changes, it may lead to bad habit of playing too deep on the black keys, it may lead to bad habit of touching keys before playing them in order to find correct ones, it may even cause fear of touching keys, because you'll be afraid of pain of touching sharp edges of keys. It all leads to bad, uncertain touch. Precise spatial feeling is perhaps the most slowly growing piano skill of all, it requires many years to be developed, and until then, please, forget about that bad advice and watch your hands as much as you need to develop proper key attack.
You pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say. However, I think it's still a good idea to try to consciously improve your sense of proprioception and key distance at least some of the time. Perhaps spend some fifteen minutes each day trying to actively play without looking at the keys. Ideally, you would want to be playing blind when you can execute most of the hand movements correctly without looking. There's no point if you are simply hitting the notes. How long this will take will depend on the individual, but I would suggest holding it off until you can play at least grade 4-5 material fluently. To never to look at the keyboard is terrible advice. I'm pretty sure all pianists look at their hands when they are trying to figure out difficult technical passages. At the beginning, all passages are technically difficult for you, so you must look at your hands constantly and try to create that fusion between your musical intent and your hand movements.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
When we practice a piece enough times, we develop muscle memory. Some people like myself would get to the point of memorizing the notes that the sheet music is just there for checking once in a while. And we're less conscious of the notes we need to play like the fingers are on autopilot. When I need to look at my hands, it's usually the LH. My RH can play the right notes by feel.

Beginner pieces are not usually very fast or require you to play many notes or chords at the same time so memorizing entire sections is not necessary. When reading music, we don't have to read every note. Notes in the melody or the bass line that are the same we just need to read once.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Beginner pieces are usually quite easy to play, so they are easier to memorize as well! I would advise you too memorize each piece you play, and then play while paying closer attention to your hands. You want them to be very relaxed, roughly at level with the keys, etc. Read about proper piano posture, and try to get it as perfect as you can. Every slight improvement in efficiency counts! I think this would be the best way to progress quickly. Focus very intently over a prolonged period of time to perfect basic technique, or get as close to possible to perfection. This is especially important given your age, imo, and it would be incredibly important even for children. After six months or a year, if you do this right, you will have accumulated quite a bit of experience and fluency at the keyboard. It may take a few more years to mature. However, that is the point where I would start trying to focus on sight reading. In the initial stages, trust me and just memorize. It should be possible to memorize an easy short piece in a few hours. Once you've memorized it, try to improve every aspect of it, and play it really relaxed and effortlessly -- it will be better if a teacher can guide you on this. Pay close attention to your hands, the sensation of where the energy and strength is coming from, whether there are any weird angles in the hand, or tension, and so on.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
Beginner pieces are usually quite easy to play, so they are easier to memorize as well! I would advise you too memorize each piece you play, and then play while paying closer attention to your hands. You want them to be very relaxed, roughly at level with the keys, etc. Read about proper piano posture, and try to get it as perfect as you can. Every slight improvement in efficiency counts! I think this would be the best way to progress quickly. Focus very intently over a prolonged period of time to perfect basic technique, or get as close to possible to perfection. This is especially important given your age, imo, and it would be incredibly important even for children. After six months or a year, if you do this right, you will have accumulated quite a bit of experience and fluency at the keyboard. It may take a few more years to mature. However, that is the point where I would start trying to focus on sight reading. In the initial stages, trust me and just memorize. It should be possible to memorize an easy short piece in a few hours. Once you've memorized it, try to improve every aspect of it, and play it really relaxed and effortlessly -- it will be better if a teacher can guide you on this. Pay close attention to your hands, the sensation of where the energy and strength is coming from, whether there are any weird angles in the hand, or tension, and so on.

Bad advice, in my opinion. Don't memorize everything from the beginning. You need to learn to read music, play from the score, use a natural technique, look back and forth between your hands and the music - all of it. And learn to memorize if you want, but not exclusively.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dad9541
I am 61 and started learning to play the piano about 6 months ago. I am taking online lessons and really enjoy the progress I have been making. But... I also want a solid foundation as I learn. I was recently given the advice to start learning spacial recognition of the keyboard. That way, I would not have the need to look down at my hands while I was practicing. So I was wondering if this was solid advice? The reason that I am asking... Is that I do not want to get into any bad habits.

Thanks everyone!

The best advice I can give you is to do your best to learn to play while following along with where you are on the printed notation (sheet music).

Make no attempt at all to memorize anything.

If that means you must play very slowly, then do that.

If that means you need to glance down at your hands periodically, then do that.

If you do that, you will slowly get better and better at it until one day you will find that you do not even think about it any more.

You just do it.

Then you will be able to pick up a piece of printed music and just look at it and play it.

Some Day ....

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by ranjit

Bad advice, in my opinion. Don't memorize everything from the beginning. You need to learn to read music, play from the score, use a natural technique, look back and forth between your hands and the music - all of it. And learn to memorize if you want, but not exclusively.

Sam
The reason why I suggest memorizing is so that you don't have to look at the score and can therefore focus on your hands more. This is at the beginning stages, one you gain a moderate level of fluency, it's not an issue. I think a lot of technical issues are caused when the hands are on autopilot. Reading from the score will force you to divert your attention.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
So in summary,

you have the opinion of those who recommend you to memorize so that you can look down and focus on your fingers, those that say that you should not memorize at all and start playing from the score day 1, and those in between to a varying degree.

I guess the OP is back to where he started.

Blüthner model 6
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Sometimes I feel like we lose sight of the only truly important part of playing the piano which is to play a piece as best as you can. How much you look at the score versus how much you look at your hands in the end doesn't matter at all. As a beginner, play around with it, try to look more at the score than you usually do, try to memorise and watch your hands all the time, try to go back and forth between the keys and the score, try playing with closed eyes. You will find what suits you best.
We are all different. Where our eyes go when we are playing will be different.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Sidokar
So in summary,

you have the opinion of those who recommend you to memorize so that you can look down and focus on your fingers, those that say that you should not memorize at all and start playing from the score day 1, and those in between to a varying degree.

smile
But now the OP has necessary information to make informed decision.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
The topic of playing from memory has been discussed before and we can spend half a day on it. I've seen people who played from the score and those who played from memory in a performance. The audience listened to the music. Whether someone plays from the score is irrelevant.

People who are in Suzuki would learn all the songs in Book 1 by imitating their teachers' hand positions and by listening without reading a single note. Reading is introduced after the first year. Traditional teaching methods would get students reading from day 1. Both reading skills & ear training are important. There are those who say students who learn the Suzuki way reading skill lag behind and many get into a habit of memorizing pieces to avoid reading.

After hearing a song on the radio, some people are comfortable reproducing the melody by ear and throw in some chords for harmony. Others need the sheet music to play it.

When your sight reading is at a certain level, you can play a piece once by reading and be done with it. Unless it's an advanced piece you're going to perform on stage, you don't need to memorize or polish it.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Piano player 416

Advanced pieces performed on stage do not necessarily need to be memorized. There is the choice of performing with the score. Starting with Liszt, there was a convention of memorizing all performance music. That has changed even for some professional highly-rated performers and it is considered acceptable in many situations to use the score for the performance.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
So in summary,

smile

Unhapilly, I think he just has a bunch of contradictory opinions that are all over the place and thus an overload of ideas. Difficult to define a practical path when one is a beginner. I guess it is inherent to asking a wide open question in a forum. Much better for him/her to follow the directions of the teacher. http://forum.pianoworld.com/images/icons/default/wink.gif

Blüthner model 6
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
After watching many student performances, came to the conclusion Suzuki students would perform Book 1 pieces in their first recital from memory. Even after learning to read, many continue to perform on stage from memory. In a concert, reading pieces is up to the performer. In a competition or a talent show, it is more likely a contestant would play from memory.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The OP is 61 - much more difficult to memorize at that age. Believe me, I know - I am 67. Sometimes I memorize, but I try to avoid it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
So in summary,

smile

Unhapilly, I think he just has a bunch of contradictory opinions that are all over the place and thus an overload of ideas. Difficult to define a practical path when one is a beginner. I guess it is inherent to asking a wide open question in a forum. Much better for him/her to follow the directions of the teacher. http://forum.pianoworld.com/images/icons/default/wink.gif
For a moment I thought Moo has stolen your account. laugh

Well, opinions are information, too.

L
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
I’ve posted these eye-tracking experiments before, but look at around 3:20 for when the student’s eyes are being tracked vs the pros. We don’t have eye tracking eye glasses, but I do think recording sight reading and playing it back could be eye-opening to how inefficient we really can be And not realize it.

Such videos are the bane of a teacher's life.

It is difficult enough when a student comes in with a video of someone like Lang Lang playing a Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody and asks: "When are you going to teach me to play those fast octaves?" crazy

Advanced pianists just do things differently from beginners or intermediates because they can, not because they know some secret of how and where and when to look at the score. For one thing, they see lots of familiar patterns and groups of notes and whole chords (in both hands) at a glance, not individual notes, and their well-trained hands know exactly where to go.

When the student gets to Grade 7 and above, he will be doing something close to what pros do when playing from the score. He won't need to be told: "This is what you need to learn to do."

Piano Teacher
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
The OP is 61 - much more difficult to memorize at that age. Believe me, I know - I am 67. Sometimes I memorize, but I try to avoid it.

Sam
I think it's individual. I'm 55 and have several pieces firmly memorized, and I find memorization is natural for me. Everyone's brain is different.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission