2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Hakki
Because I just don't know and do not want to speculate on a subject that I don't have first hand information.

Drawing conclusions from marketing pieces is speculation.

I actually have zero opinion on whether v-cast or wet sand cast plates can be superior to the other if fabricated to the highest pianistic standard.

As a piano consumer, I find it unhelpful when people trying to sell a particular brand of piano raise a regular drumbeat of purportedly negative properties of their competitors. If you cannot sell your own product just by calling out its own virtues, I tend to assume that means it does not have enough of them for the product to distinguish itself from competitors by its own virtues.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
One of the problems people are having is that what is "better" is not necessarily the same thing. Sand cast plates may be "better" because they are more economical for small runs of castings, while vacuum cast plates may be "better" economically for large runs. Two standards which depend only on economics, not on whether they impart any better performance of the piano. Nothing in Yamaha's literature implies that the method of casting the plate makes any difference to the performance of the piano. It only says that they are cast in two different manners.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
BDB; what causes false beats in plain piano strings?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
V-cast plates are sand cast plates. They use negative pressure with dry sand to hold the sand in place. Wet sand cast plates are sand cast plates. They use wet sand to hold the sand in place.

Had Steinway or Bechstein developed vacuum casting, I expect we would be having a very different discussion right now.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Whilst Yamaha is a business, I can't think that the reason they use wet sand cast plates on their CF series is because it's more profitable to do so. I would think since the vast majority of pianos they build use V-Pro plates, it would be more profitable for them to use V-Pro plates in the premium line and sell them for the current retail price.
The point of v-cast plates is that they are more consistent so that some of the manufacture of the outer case can be automated. This involves a fixed cost for the tooling needed to cut the case parts. The fixed cost for piano A with v-cast plate does not eliminate the fixed cost for piano B with v-cast plates. There needs to be enough volume of production for the tooling cost for the outer case to be paid back through savings in variable cost custom work.

Wet sand cast plates are less consistent in shape and require more manual, custom work when fabricating the outer case.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 07/31/21 12:00 AM.

B
BDB Offline
B
Causes are not something that concerns me. I just deal with them as best I can. Again, "better" or "best" are not hard and fast terms. An expensive solution on a cheap piano or for a poor client is not a good way of dealing with them.

I am sure you have some theories about the causes. I do not want to hear them.

Last edited by BDB; 07/31/21 12:07 AM.

Semipro Tech
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Also, the vacuum chambers Y and K use may not be large enough for a plate for a 9' piano, and they don't make enough 9' pianos to justify a larger vacuum chamber, which may be more cumbersome for smaller plates.

Y and K know the precise reason. None of us do.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Robbie Gennet has some videos of him trying out Yamahas premium piano range, including the S7X, S5X, CF6 and CFX. He actually liked the S7X the best out of all of them (see his thoughts on the S7X at the end of the video at 3m20s, and also his response to a question about this in the comments section). If the CF line have tonal superiority due to their wet sand cast frames, it was not something he noticed in a side by side comparison.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Of course, I can also mention the review of the S7X by James Pavel Shawcross. Now I know some of you here will disparage his expertise by saying he is not a serious pianist, nor piano technician; however, he has played a lot of high end pianos and thought carefully about their tonal characteristics. He considered the Yamaha S7X to be one of his favourites, despite its V cast frame.

Last edited by Sonepica; 07/31/21 02:56 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Wait, I just realised something really concerning - Robbie Gennet is playing *JAZZ* music on that piano! But that piano is only suitable for early classical music!

Online Content
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Of course, I can also mention the review of the S7X by James Pavel Shawcross. Now I know some of you here will disparage his expertise by saying he is not a serious pianist, nor piano technician; however, he has played a lot of high end pianos and thought carefully about their tonal characteristics. He considered the Yamaha S7X to be one of his favourites, despite its V cast frame.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSCZCqWe-Y
The opinions of one or two people are no more than that. In the case of JPS I think it matters greatly that he is not an advanced pianist or piano tech since those are two of the biggest indicators of knowledge. It matters little that he has played a lot of pianos and "thought carefully"(how would anyone know that and how can someone with little knowledge do that?).

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’m sure Yamaha has noted, debated, and agonized over why Kawai can use VPro plates in all their Shigerus except for the concert grand. Plus, Yamaha changed the S series sand cast plate to a VPro plate while introducing the special rim that for now is only found on the SX series so now so you can’t really compare the differences between the two different series to hear the difference.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
IMHO
Del’s post, which has been ignored by many, is that the method of casting doesn’t matter. That’s enough for me.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
IMHO
Del’s post, which has been ignored by many, is that the method of casting doesn’t matter. That’s enough for me.

Agreed. Del is far more experienced than I am, so that sounds about right. It makes sense. If one method was proved to be a significant improvement over the other, every piano maker would move to use the better method.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I strongly suggest that anyone purchasing a piano ask the seller or have tested the V-bar for hardness regardless of the plate casting methods used. And the profile of the V-bar should be examined and best results have been proven over time to require the V-bar to be a definite V-shape, (most V-bars are more U-shaped), with a 1mm string contact width at the apex of the V.

It is all about not crushing the wire, or subjecting it to abrasion during tuning, and allowing for full freedom for the pivot termination principle to function.

Soft grey iron is the most self-lubricious. Harder forms of grey iron are more abrasive. Ask any machinist who works with iron castings. All iron castings have a hard skin on them so the V-bar must be made oversize during the casting process and machined down to final specs.

When I published my text for piano technicians titled: The Educated Piano; Steinway purchased seven copies. I ran into Michael Mohr, (who works for them and is Franz Mohr's son) at a PTG convention shortly after my book came out. Michael told me after he read my blurb on V-bars he went and looked up all the different specs Steinway has had over the years about V-bars. Michael said, "He found one that described my specs exactly the same way." I told him, I know, I have found a few old Steinway's that were at that spec.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Michael told me after he read my blurb on V-bars he went and looked up all the different specs Steinway has had over the years about V-bars. Michael said, "He found one that described my specs exactly the same way." I told him, I know, I have found a few old Steinway's that were at that spec.
Well, that would explain why there is no data showing Yamaha and Kawai pianos breaking strings more often than Steinways. Apparently Steinway has been using the wrong v-bar spec for many decades as well.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
And they are far from alone on this.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
In other words, pianos with v-pro plates do not shed strings more frequently than other pianos made in recent decades.

Here is an unclassified report of a study by the Australian military that found no measurable difference in hardness whether negative pressure was applied (two different levels of vacuum were tested) or the casting was done at atmospheric pressure.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a623833.pdf

Thus, if plates are being made of a harder material today than 150 years ago, it certainly seems to be intentional, realizing whatever detriments and benefits the harder plate achieves.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 07/31/21 06:32 PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Of course, I can also mention the review of the S7X by James Pavel Shawcross. Now I know some of you here will disparage his expertise by saying he is not a serious pianist, nor piano technician; however, he has played a lot of high end pianos and thought carefully about their tonal characteristics. He considered the Yamaha S7X to be one of his favourites, despite its V cast frame.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSCZCqWe-Y
The opinions of one or two people are no more than that. In the case of JPS I think it matters greatly that he is not an advanced pianist or piano tech since those are two of the biggest indicators of knowledge. It matters little that he has played a lot of pianos and "thought carefully"(how would anyone know that and how can someone with little knowledge do that?).

Well then whose opinion should we value, pianoloverus? What about yours? Have you noticed a difference between pianos with different types of plates?

Before I purchased the Yamaha S7X, I went to the Fazioli dealer. Now a Fazioli would have been almost double the cost of the S7X, but if it was a far superior piano, I would have considered it. I played the 278 for a while. It was fine, but was just like an ordinary piano. Nothing about it struck me as especially beautiful. Then the dealer informed me that he had the 228 upstairs, so I followed him up the stairs to try it. The main thing I noticed about it was that it didn't have the sharp "attack" character of the Yamaha, but had a smoother, rounder sound. Of course, I can't say how much the plate had to do with the different characteristics of the piano. But after about 15 seconds of playing the Fazioli 228 I knew it was not worth the extra AU80k-100k to me. It was different. Not necessarily better unless you happen to prefer its particular characteristics. It was a lot more expensive.

As for the idea that wet sand cast plates produce better sustain, the Bosendorfers and Faziolis I played all had very little sustain in the high treble. Probably no better than that on the Yamahas. The only wet sand cast piano I played where I noticed superior sustain in the treble was the cheap Hailun 218.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
You made your choice and you are happy with it. That is all that matters.

But why are you trying to convince other people?

Some people just prefer to buy a Bosendorfer or a Fazioli or a Steinway even it is twice the price of an S7X. They just think its worth it. And that is their choice.
Just let it go.

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission