2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (Chris Pringle, Carey, Amadeus M., brdwyguy, Abdol, anotherscott, clothearednincompo, 3B43, 19 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 147 of 158 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 157 158
I
I
No I'm saying eq adjustments should be a separate setting to brilliance and all similar presets.
This is because adjusting eq is completely different to changing the character of the tone, you are changing the balance of the sound, so it is not remotely the same preset and should not be implemented as one (referring to just brilliance and mellow) - You may consider bass cut and bass increase akin to eq settings which is fair enough.

Thanks

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/23/21 07:54 AM.
Hi butterbox,

Congratulations on your new CA79. From a key action standpoint it is indeed a great action. I chose this instrument mainly for this and I do not regret it.

I was able to easily assign the left pedal to page turn on my Newzik iOS app. Other apps like Piascore may need an external device or a recent iPad to make use of facial recognition to change page.

Cheers and happy playing

Sordess
Roland HP207, Kawai CA79
I
I
Hate to be a killjoy but I'm quite disappointed with the gf3 action.

To me it is extremely obvious it is not an acoustic action, and had hoped based on popular opinion, it would be almost indistinguishable from a real piano. But it's not a huge improvement over my casio privia key action.

It seems like the key when pressed should go much lower down - its as though you're only getting to press it halfway down before something stops you.

The ivory finish of the white keys is too matte and textured, but every piano I've played the white keys are glossy, without feeling like plastic.

It is quite a light action, yet I struggle to perform trills and fast passages cleanly (example Chopin's "ocean" etude. Only when doing this does the action feel heavy to me. I have no trouble with trills on an acoustic upright or grand.

Its not a bad digital action, its probably the best one there is, it's just not fooling me.
And I can totally understand what Stu means when he says there's a lack of expression and dynamic control compared to acoustic.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/23/21 05:32 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
Hate to be a killjoy but I'm quite disappointed with the gf3 action.

To me it is extremely obvious it is not an acoustic action, and had hoped based on popular opinion, it would be almost indistinguishable from a real piano. But it's not a huge improvement over my casio privia key action.

It seems like the key when pressed should go much lower down - its as though you're only getting to press it halfway down before something stops you.

The ivory finish of the white keys is too matte and textured, but every piano I've played the white keys are glossy, without feeling like plastic.

It is quite a light action, yet I struggle to perform trills and fast passages cleanly (example Chopin's "ocean" etude. Only when doing this does the action feel heavy to me. I have no trouble with trills on an acoustic upright or grand.

Its not a bad digital action, its probably the best one there is, it's just not fooling me.
And I can totally understand what Stu means when he says there's a lack of expression and dynamic control compared to acoustic.

Have you tried the clp785? Curious what you think of the competition since I’m still considering both vs their hybrid upright competitors.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm quite disappointed with the gf3 action....it's not a huge improvement over my casio privia key action.

Interesting opinion.

I'll have to try the Casio Privia action again.
Which model did you own previously, may I ask?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I
I
I can't remember because I destroyed it accidently due to a clicking key issue. Px 850 or something like that. No wooden key action, but I can't say the wood offers a far superior experience.

There is also a very strong artificial plastic smell coming from the keys which doesn't go away over time. Wiping with a cloth is not getting rid of it. It's coming from below the key bed.
Psychologically it's ruining any immersion of playing, as my old digital piano had the exactly the same smell but only for the first few days of ownership. My brain is associating it with the cheaper digital piano.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/24/21 06:42 AM.
I
I
That's why I say it's probably the best digital action, at least to me. Since the clp 685 I played was hands down the worst action I've had the misfortune of having under my finger tips.

Heavy, clunky and didn't behave in anyway like any piano I've ever played.

I haven't tried Roland.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/24/21 06:43 AM.
the clp 685 I played was hands down the worst action I've had the misfortune of having under my finger tips.

That seems a little extreme. There are many pianists who are very happy with the CLP-685's keyboard action.
I also believe it's a perfectly fine action.

However, you're obviously entitled to your opinion.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

I
I
That is why I gave my reasoning for detesting the action. Doesn't feel close to any acoustic I've played.
There are also a great many people on this thread who would agree that it is a heavy and clunky action.
And of course it is only my opinion. One which I personally feel strongly about.

I disliked yamaha action and sound that much that I was willing to drop 3.5k on a piano I never got the chance to play in person.

I'm confident I made the better choice for myself.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/25/21 08:57 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm confident I made the better choice for myself.

Yes, but did you make that choice all by yourself?

I
I
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean?

What I mean, Inspired, is that our so-called personal choices are indeed influenced by the many -voices- and, therefore, we never truly make a choice ‘all by ourselves’, but rely on the gullible and easily influenced subconscious.

For example, I’d read so many bad things about the GrandTouch that by the time I actually touched it, my senses -unconsciously- expected the worse, and when this was not the case, I doubted my own convictions, “I must be crazy to find no issues with this action”, I said.

So you see, I’d been heavily ‘influenced’ by the voices; some of which have an agenda to manipulate us in a certain direction (this applies to all; not just ‘pianos’).

Some do not have an agenda but are stubborn and arrogant, and it’s only their way or the highway, “Celvianos are not real hybrids!” IMHO!

I
I
Ah I see.
No ten years back when I was a student, my school had a flagship yamaha clp, and it was back then I realised Yamaha's products were not for me.
The action was unnaturally heavy and the sound was too bright and shrill for my ears.

They also had an entry level kawai kdp model of the time which opened my ears up to what a digital piano can sound like.

A few years ago I tried the clp 685 in a shop to see if Yamaha's touch and tone had "improved" to my ear. But if anything it felt like a step backward over what I tried all those years ago.

I've not in anyway been influenced by opinions on pianoworld.

You can call me stubborn or arrogant but I do not like Yamaha's digital pianos, I'm not inferring that someone who does is wrong for liking them. To each their own!

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/25/21 11:55 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think that expensive hybrid digital pianos exist for a reason. The reason is that no actual action inside not-hybrid DPs is able to give exactly the same feeling of actions in acoustic pianos (and I'm not talking about the sound).
But at the same time, I think the timbre and quality of the piano engine, the amp, the speakers, and the way the velocity curve is calibrated influence very much the perception you have of the action.

I
I
This is possible considering my entire top speaker system is defective.
I'm waiting on kawai to send replacement speakers.

C
C
I have a CA99 and started seeing a weird issue. I use "SK-EX Concert Grand" with SK-EX rendering on and tuning set to 440Hz. After playing for a while, when I go into settings, I see that the tuning is now 439.5Hz. I change it back to 440Hz and see the same thing happening.

I'm not sure if the act of going into the settings is changing the tuning or if the tuning was changing midway during playing.
I have the latest Firmware and UI updates.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@cvad: are you serious? Maybe your particolar CA99 is so realistic that it goes out of tune in time...? grin

C
C
@magicpiano: Yep completely serious. Lol, maybe I should set it to 440.5 so it tunes out to 440 laugh.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Suggestion, set to 440.5 and see what happens. FWIW , the error is approximately 1/1000 or 0.1%. Considering a half tone variation is 6% or 60 times as much, I really doubt even the most experienced piano player, even a person with absolute ears, will notice this error.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Page 147 of 158 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 157 158

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
practicing with noise cancelling headphones on!?
by chopin_r_us - 09/27/21 12:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,322
Posts3,135,599
Members102,838
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission