2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (cygnusdei, ChrisGoesPiano, CraiginNZ, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, deadlymajesty, David B, astrotoy, 7 invisible), 505 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Well, here's the latest girl piano player with plenty of glitz and leg and mascara but who knows what else. Oh, I know. CANDLES! Check this out about somebody named "Serene." Have I missed this new "sensation?"

https://secretnyc.co/candlelight-concert-serene-nyc/

I see that she is a "renowned Bösendorfer artist" who once played inside an airplane. Is anyone else a bit tired of this trend? As Henry II once remarked (and I paraphrase), "Will no one rid me of these turbulent cheesecake pianists?"

1978 Chickering Patrician
5’ 8.5” (178 cm)
Aeolian American
East Rochester, NY
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
I’m very tired of it—- so I just boycott all videos, albums and performances. They have the right to advertise any way they want. I exercise my right to say ‘No,thanks’.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cfhosford
Well, here's the latest girl piano player with plenty of glitz and leg and mascara but who knows what else. Oh, I know. CANDLES! Check this out about somebody named "Serene." Have I missed this new "sensation?"

I see that she is a "renowned Bösendorfer artist" who once played inside an airplane. Is anyone else a bit tired of this trend? As Henry II once remarked (and I paraphrase), "Will no one rid me of these turbulent cheesecake pianists?"
I think by posting a thread about this on PW you are advertising for this pianist, and the thread will probably have a lot of posts.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Why the negativity, it looks like a cool event that I know I would enjoy.

Tentative Program
Ravel - Jeux d'eau
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz
Liszt - Consolation No 3
Liszt - Spanish Rhapsody
Ravel - La Valse
Kapustin - Etude Op. 40 No. 8
Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Never heard of her but I would like to have her piano playing skills.

Last edited by Learux; 07/23/21 09:05 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I apologize for all the dust on the dampers of my Steinway smile

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
“ After graduating from Carnegie Mellon University one year early with university honors in computer science, she began working as a software engineer for Google in Manhattan while living on a sailboat.”

Sure there’s hype but Serene seems pretty solid all round. Professional music is part of the entertainment business so why not find a way to stand out?

NYC is too far for me so I won’t be going to her concert but I’d certainly cross the road to hear her play.

B
B
What's the problem? It's just her twist on being a modern performer, no different than rock bands who all have different stage shows. If the cool setting gets more people into solo piano works, all the better! She might be a middling artist for all I know, and her idea might fall flat, or she might put on some cool shows for some people who wouldn't attend one otherwise.

Or does it only count if it's in a stuffy hall and everyone is wearing a tie or evening gown? God forbid anything is done which some teenagers might think is cool to get more people into classical music.

I'd go if it was happening in my town (despite the fact that it features Liszt), given that the concert series in PDX doesn't start up til Jan '22.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I can understand the feeling of "turbulent cheesecake pianists". But I think it's a bit useless and just how this industy works. Large concerts are for show and glamour, not for getting the very best sound. If you want to spend time fixing things you don't like, maybe you should start in a more urgent area than a pianist's outfit.

It looks like they are trying to give a relaxing atmosphere for the concert. Seems a good idea to me.

I never heard of "Serene" (doesn't she have a last name? Makes it hard to find anything on her) but I assume she can play decently.

That tentative program to me does not look like a "crowd pleaser", it more looks like highly technical, as if she's trying to show off. For me it's definitely not relaxing music. So I'm a bit puzzled by that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Never heard of Serene. That is not the best Rach 3 I heard,as she lacks power but for a self taught recent pianist it is very impressive. I dont see what can be bothering here.

D
D
What a mean and dismissive introduction to a pianist. She is not a "girl" though of course nowadays that is often a put down in itself. (Maybe the Brits among us will remember Boris Johnson's "girly swats" insult.)
She doesn't seem any more made up or glitzy than any other artist who has to perfom formally in public under lights and cameras and I can hardly see her legs in the video or photos. She's not even wearing heels in that video. Gasp!
I thought her demeanour at the piano was very calm and unflashy and wish her well.

Originally Posted by cfhosford

What I'm missing and can't find in this post is where you have heard her play. If you haven't, then you can't actually know whether there is any steak to the sizzle.

Btw, you seem to have your ages mixed up - she looks like an adult. Here's what it looks like when a girl plays the piano. This is a girl.

(I do agree that advertising styles are often quite annoying.)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I guess it's the hyperbole of the advertising that rankles:
“One of the world’s most exciting young pianists…”
“A spectacle to match the New York Philharmonic”
“One of the most talked-about young talents in classical music”
“The renowned Bósendorfer artist”
“Having risen to fame …”
“ … a phenomenal pianist that will have you pinching yourself in disbelief”

I know I live on the fringe of the known world, but I've never heard of Serene except as a synonym in crossword puzzles.

Her Rachmaninoff showed a technical facility for detail no doubt, but lacked any sense of drama or passion. She seemed to be unable to draw much from the piano, and I don't know whether that was the fault of the instrument or her limited capacity for projection.

Now, about those "thousands" of candles: Whose overkill gimmick is that?

If they are real candles it would take a team to get them all lit before the first ones flicker and die. Maybe the audience will flicker, too, and gasp from the scent of melting wax.
If they are battery-operated candles, let's hope that have long-life batteries in them.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, your hitting the nail on the head for me, Bruce. My general impression is that Rachmaninoff performance seems nothing more than a great achievement by an amateur with pretty limited technical equipment which makes for lack luster control of the instrument and lackluster music making overall. That's a lot of marking to put behind playing that just isn't very remarkable when compared to better students coming out of prestigious conservatories these days.

That might sound like an unfair comparison. But for me the point is, if the competition pool we've seen recently is any indication, we seem to have more well trained and well equipped, if not particularly inspiring, pianists than ever. Why is this being highlighted?

B
B
It was a promotional piece in an alt rag, which given by the top of their homepage, is mainly centered around night life and things to do.

It's not like it was an article in the Times declaring her the second coming of Horowitz.

Get a grip folks.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
I guess it's the hyperbole of the advertising that rankles:
“One of the world’s most exciting young pianists…”
“A spectacle to match the New York Philharmonic”
“One of the most talked-about young talents in classical music”
“The renowned Bósendorfer artist”
“Having risen to fame …”
“ … a phenomenal pianist that will have you pinching yourself in disbelief”

I know I live on the fringe of the known world, but I've never heard of Serene except as a synonym in crossword puzzles.

Whenever i travel in the US, and go for a breakfast, i see consistently something like "here we serve the best pancakes in the world" which is a blatant lie of course. Any if not all advertisings are partially and sometimes complete BS. So nothing really new here, just overinflation of words. If it works, and some people like what she does, good for her.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Uh, what exactly is wrong with an amateur musician successfully hacking the industry with slightly unconventional means to chase her dream?

As an amateur who no one ever listens to and has dozens of Juilliard/Curtis friends who don't have performing careers, I say more power to her if there are people willing to pay to listen.

Last edited by trigalg693; 07/24/21 07:55 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Uh, what exactly is wrong with an amateur musician successfully hacking the industry with slightly unconventional means to chase her dream?

As an amateur who no one ever listens to and has dozens of Juilliard/Curtis friends who don't have performing careers, I say more power to her if there are people willing to pay to listen.

Oh, nothing honestly. Media and advertising can be grating, plain and simple. heck, I'll be plenty surprised if she believes her own accolades. I've certainly had someone write press releases on my behalf, and the "embellishing" among other things can be grating. But no, the previous two posters are correct. It's a particular sort of media platform advertising and a lot of us are collectively gagging. We're just gagging in volume on a public forum, which is pretty "loud".

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Lol, that cadenza of her Rach 3 is atrocious. There are numerous people on this forum who play it far better.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission