2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (bxrdad1, Bebe1980, butchkoch, Alfred La Fleur, Cheeto717, brdwyguy, clothearednincompo, bluebilly, Animisha, 16 invisible), 858 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3141295 07/28/21 03:42 PM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Finally tried Yamaha CLP 785, Nu1x hybrid, Kawai Nv5, Nv10 and Kawai acoustic k200. Also Kawai Ca99 and Ca79.
First tried acoustic k200. My first time on an acoustic. A bit harder to play coming from a digital but very impressed. If I had the space and didn't have to worry about neighbour's this would be my choice. The action felt solid, the sound felt real and had a presence. I heard someone else play it who was much better than me and it sounded wonderful to my ears.
The Nu1x was almost as good actionwise but sounded a bit duller. Tried it later on and was impressed. Could happily live with it.
Nv5 was also good action wise but I thought it sounded much brighter than the Nu1x. As a relative beginner don't know if this is good or bad. Piano also looked good.
Nv10 was next. Fabulous action great sound but the keys were lighter than the uprights. Unfortunately the price is beyond me and the size a bit too big for my space.
Ca79 Ca99. After playing hybrids, these felt a bit toylike in their actions. Sound was good but I thought very digital. Didn't seem a significant upgrade from my CN37. Pianos cabinets also seemed unimpressive compared to polished ebony of the Nu1x and other hybrids. Also tried Casio gp510. Action was good, cabinet nice but the sound on the Berlin grand nowhere near the quality of the others. Ruled it out completely.
Tried the Yamaha CLP 785. Nice but didn't scream buy me action/soundwise.
In an ideal world I'd buy an acoustic. Bit more hassle re tuning, noise, space etc. But would probably last longer.
I think you get what you pay for. Don't think a £2k machine can outperform a £5k machine.
Think an upright would be good enough for me for years. Think I'm leaning towards an Nu1x or Nv5.
Will try them all again and see if I stick with my first impressions. The price of the Nu1x is probably my maximum but I wonder if it's worth stretching another £1000 for the newer Nv5s ?
Came home and played my Kawai CN37. Actually felt good to me but maybe it's because I'm used to it?
I'm sure the pianos I tried inherently better in the long run.
Sorry for the long post, feel free to comment.

Cutec #3141310 07/28/21 04:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's wonderful to be able to try so many pianos.
Were all of those pianos in the same shop?

Cutec #3141319 07/28/21 04:23 PM
C
C
How’s you think the sound and feel with the soundboard did on the nv5 vs the NU1X? Considering those 2 myself.

MacMacMac #3141320 07/28/21 04:25 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's wonderful to be able to try so many pianos.
Were all of those pianos in the same shop?
I'm in Hants, the county next door so was curious where the OP tried these out too? I usually go to Bonners Eastbourne around this time of year, but no NV5S showing in stock.

Cutec #3141326 07/28/21 04:37 PM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes Mac all in the same shop over a course of a couple of hours. I do also think that you get used to the action and sound of whatever you have or buy. It's going to be a tough choice, especially when cost is unfortunately a consideration.
Re soundboard of Nv5 against Nu1x. Maybe it's the positioning of the speakers but I had no complaints on both and would struggle to rule out either re sound.
What I don't know is which piano is better builta me d which piano will last longer. Nv5s is much newer than Nu1x but more expensive.
Really want to like the Ca79 price wise and would probably really enjoy it but not sure if it's significant enough upgrade over my CN37?
Again any comments on these pianos welcome.

Cutec #3141328 07/28/21 04:40 PM
P
P
Came home and played my Kawai CN37. Actually felt good to me but maybe it's because I'm used to it?

I think the modern hammer actions on digital pianos are very playable.

FP-90x, PX-330
Cutec #3141334 07/28/21 05:08 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Cutec
The price of the Nu1x is probably my maximum but I wonder if it's worth stretching another £1000 for the newer Nv5s ?

I think this is a good plan. Stretch for an NU1X or NV5 depending on which you like better, or stick with your CN37 for another year or so and reconsider (you lose nothing but time by holding off).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Cutec #3141339 07/28/21 05:22 PM
I think Gombessa nailed it. The real piano actions of the NU and NV pianos are a dream compared to the conventional digital action of the CA-series.

If their prices make you choke, then maybe save some cash and buy next year.

IMO, I'd rather pay the high price (which, in time, will be forgotten) than save money on a cheaper piano that I'd have to live with for a long while.

Cutec #3141373 07/28/21 07:24 PM
Cutec, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Which store did you go to, just out of interest?
Did you have to book an appointment due to Covid?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Cutec #3141445 07/29/21 02:51 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Finally tried Yamaha CLP 785, Nu1x hybrid, Kawai Nv5, Nv10 and Kawai acoustic k200. Also Kawai Ca99 and Ca79.
First tried acoustic k200. My first time on an acoustic. A bit harder to play coming from a digital but very impressed. If I had the space and didn't have to worry about neighbour's this would be my choice. The action felt solid, the sound felt real and had a presence. I heard someone else play it who was much better than me and it sounded wonderful to my ears.
The Nu1x was almost as good actionwise but sounded a bit duller. Tried it later on and was impressed. Could happily live with it.
Nv5 was also good action wise but I thought it sounded much brighter than the Nu1x. As a relative beginner don't know if this is good or bad. Piano also looked good.
Nv10 was next. Fabulous action great sound but the keys were lighter than the uprights. Unfortunately the price is beyond me and the size a bit too big for my space.
Ca79 Ca99. After playing hybrids, these felt a bit toylike in their actions. Sound was good but I thought very digital. Didn't seem a significant upgrade from my CN37. Pianos cabinets also seemed unimpressive compared to polished ebony of the Nu1x and other hybrids. Also tried Casio gp510. Action was good, cabinet nice but the sound on the Berlin grand nowhere near the quality of the others. Ruled it out completely.
Tried the Yamaha CLP 785. Nice but didn't scream buy me action/soundwise.
In an ideal world I'd buy an acoustic. Bit more hassle re tuning, noise, space etc. But would probably last longer.
I think you get what you pay for. Don't think a £2k machine can outperform a £5k machine.
Think an upright would be good enough for me for years. Think I'm leaning towards an Nu1x or Nv5.
Will try them all again and see if I stick with my first impressions. The price of the Nu1x is probably my maximum but I wonder if it's worth stretching another £1000 for the newer Nv5s ?
I'm sure the pianos I tried inherently better in the long run.
Sorry for the long post, feel free to comment.

It was an excellent post! It seems to highlight what so many folk experience wuth digital pianos, who frequent these forums.
The need to change for something better.
It is imo an illusion which affects earthlings unfortunately.
Interesting what you said also, about the K200.
I liked that and was considering a silent model, or a silent B1 which are popular now. They play well, but the keys in silent mode were way too noisy.
And since my VST is sounding so good, all I want now (I'm gettin' on a bit) is a nice lightweight keyboard which doesn't wreak havoc wi my thumbs.
A Kawai CN 37 like yours, or a 39 might be just the one . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Cutec #3141459 07/29/21 04:14 AM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
James, it was Bonners in Reigate. No appointment.
Thanks Peter. All opinions subjective and others may differ. I did go in hoping the lesser price models would do it for me but when comparing to hybrids and acoustics there was not really a contest. However, played at home in isolation even the much cheaper digitals will give you huge pleasures. I also have an es920 and can play not for hours as a proverbial pig in ........

Cutec #3141501 07/29/21 07:32 AM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Should read, can play for hours!

Cutec #3141545 07/29/21 10:32 AM
O
O
"Also tried Casio gp510. Action was good, cabinet nice but the sound on the Berlin grand nowhere near the quality of the others. Ruled it out completely."

Hi Cutec,

were you referring to the sound from the speakers/the quality of the speakers, or is it the same with (hopefully, good) headphones?

Thanks

Omobono

(P.S. I might drive to Reigate to Bonners Music one of those weekends and would be able to try a lot of pianos, but just for the curiosity...).

Last edited by Omobono; 07/29/21 10:32 AM.

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Cutec #3141555 07/29/21 11:25 AM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi omobono. Re the Casio. The volume was fine,quality of speakers was fine but the sound didn't sound like a proper piano compared to the hybrids. To be fair it sounded very digital, which it is. Probably unfair to compare to more expensive dp's. Also, perhaps I was used to a different sound. Like everyone will tell you, it is all in the eye of the beholder. YMMV.
What will be interesting will be my second audition of these pianos.

Cutec #3141575 07/29/21 12:36 PM
O
O
Thanks Cutec, let us know how that goes!

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Cutec #3141593 07/29/21 01:47 PM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Yes Mac all in the same shop over a course of a couple of hours. I do also think that you get used to the action and sound of whatever you have or buy. It's going to be a tough choice, especially when cost is unfortunately a consideration.
Re soundboard of Nv5 against Nu1x. Maybe it's the positioning of the speakers but I had no complaints on both and would struggle to rule out either re sound.
What I don't know is which piano is better builta me d which piano will last longer. Nv5s is much newer than Nu1x but more expensive.
Really want to like the Ca79 price wise and would probably really enjoy it but not sure if it's significant enough upgrade over my CN37?
Again any comments on these pianos welcome.

You could just upgrade the sound engine of your current piano by adding a laptop and VST or Dexibell VIVO SX7 midi module loaded with one or two of their platinum pianos.

Primary keyboard interests: Early baroque through early romantic repertoire, blues improvisation.
Cutec #3141598 07/29/21 01:59 PM
R
R
Hi omobono. Re the Casio. The volume was fine,quality of speakers was fine but the sound didn't sound like a proper piano compared to the hybrids. To be fair it sounded very digital, which it is. Probably unfair to compare to more expensive dp's. Also, perhaps I was used to a different sound. Like everyone will tell you, it is all in the eye of the beholder. YMMV.
What will be interesting will be my second audition of these pianos.

No, your impression of the sound seems dead on compared to others who have voiced the same opinion.

Hybrid aside, some believe it to be the best action on the market. Everything else on it sub standard.Could be interesting if your going to used VSTs anyway

Never got my hands on one.

Ron

Cutec #3141633 07/29/21 05:06 PM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It appears that the GP310 has the same action as the GP510, so if an external sound engine will be used, the GP310 would be more cost effective.

Primary keyboard interests: Early baroque through early romantic repertoire, blues improvisation.
Cutec #3141636 07/29/21 05:20 PM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Never tried a vst. Got a MacBook Pro. Could someone walk me through the basics of what I need. Is there a trial version of a vst I could try? What cables would I need?
Sorry for my ignorance but I keep reading about vst and should probably try it before I splash on a hybrid. Or a waste of time?

Cutec #3141661 07/29/21 07:00 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Never tried a vst. Got a MacBook Pro. Could someone walk me through the basics of what I need. Is there a trial version of a vst I could try? What cables would I need?
Sorry for my ignorance but I keep reading about vst and should probably try it before I splash on a hybrid. Or a waste of time?

With the digital pianos you are buying / discussing .... I don't think you should be looking into VSTs.

The sound you get with quality digital pianos (like yours) are pretty good and a VST is not likely to improve much on that.

Some will argue about that ...(it is what they do) .... but unless you just want to fool with it, I would not think VSTs will give you better ... only different.

Of course, it you are looking for a way to get out of practicing .... VSTs will help with that. You can run through hours each day fussing with and effort to find the "perfect" sound .... which, of course, never happens.

Last edited by dmd; 07/29/21 07:03 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
They say this is Chopin's favorite piece
by ContentPiano - 09/19/21 06:26 AM
Getting tired of repertoire really fast.
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/19/21 06:01 AM
learning myself
by frighg - 09/19/21 05:07 AM
recommendations for how to learn a new piece
by gnossie - 09/19/21 03:53 AM
Help with rhythms!
by Amy H - 09/19/21 03:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,182
Posts3,133,433
Members102,769
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission