2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (Adagiette, Amadeus M., Boboulus, anotherscott, beeboss, brdwyguy, Abdol, 20 invisible), 1,247 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Concert pianos sometimes get aggressive string seating done on the bridges. Have your independent tech look for crushed wood under the strings at the bridge.

Sometimes Steinway case hardens their V-bars in the capo d'astro sections. (The top two sections of strings in a D). Have your tech check for this too. A hard V-bar makes for many problems over time. If the treble was recently restrung, it may be because it has this issue, and the problems can be "moved down the road" by putting new wire in there; but over time the buzzes and breakage will come back.

D's are cool, but I still prefer a perfect B in a home to a perfect D. The B's weaknesses at the scale break and low bass can be mostly eliminated by rescaling with a hybrid wire scale. And if the hammers are properly tone regulated, and the V-bar is properly configured, a B has a warmth of tone and rich palette of color a D doesn't quite have.

I am splitting hairs here so to speak.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
I agree with Ed. Add strike weight calibration and resulting key reweighing and SHAZAM!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 07/29/21 12:13 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are lots of people here who are selling fear, uncertainty, and doubt instead of piano service. If all that they want to sell you were necessary, it would have been done already. Bottom line, it is your money, and if you like the piano and can afford it, you should not be afraid of buying it.

Semipro Tech
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am back with more information,

I will be getting a full 5 years warranty and it seems to cover unseen damages caused due to loaning the piano that might arise these next years (that's how I interpret what's written)

the piano is in top condition, strings have nearly no patina/rust, action is sturdy and no new parts are required, Cappo d'astro is in good shape, uncracked soundboard, and the piano was even cleaned of dust recently. The technician confirmed that the piano is healthy and won't require any heavy maintenance or repair.

however, two problems were noted, both cosmetic. On the right side of the piano, next to the piano leg where the right angle is there is a slight ding revealing a bit of wood. it was a bump against a wall when moving it on stage. the second problem was underneath the piano, on a "black plank of wood" (unsure of correct term ) underneatht the key bed on its left corner. The paint has been rubbed off and the wood is starting to show. it was explained that this is due to the straps used to secure the piano when transporting it due to the many loading and unloading and was mostly cosmetic.

just to be more precise, the corner of the plank has no paint anymore and was "rounded", due to friction, with a bit of splintering but it seems to be superficial.

My technician confirmed to me that it wasn't unusual for a concert grand piano that has been loaned to have those injuries and that the shop explanation was coherent with what was presented to us.

after some discussion, we arrived at an agreement, the piano at ~38% off MSRP and all cosmetic damages of the piano would be repaired before final purchase and the approval of my technician after the repairs. Also piano cover, stool, delivery included.

I can still cancel my purchase but I am quite happy with the price and quality of the piano. I haven't discovered any defects big enough to drop the deal.

N
N W Online Content
Online Content
N
Surely no secondhand piano is worth more than 50% of the street value of a new one?
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Sounds like you will have a concert instrument soon. No red flags from anything you've written thus far.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
How did they define that the Capo bar was in "good" shape. Is it a true V-shape with no more than 1mm of width at the string contact point? Is it case hardened? (That is bad).

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm glad you got it checked out thoroughly by a tech, prior to purchase, and the report sounds promising.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
J
J
Then congratulations smile Hopefully you will get many years of pleasure and use out of it.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Just like to add my congratulations!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
practicing with noise cancelling headphones on!?
by chopin_r_us - 09/27/21 12:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,322
Posts3,135,603
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission