2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (brdwyguy, 36251, Andrew_G, Blague, benQF, Alfred La Fleur, 1957, 18 invisible), 1,030 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yep, happened to me.

Just lost one leg. I built a very sturdy sawhorse to support the piano until a new leg was made by a woodworker.

Somebody has two piano legs that they have no idea how they got them or what to do with them.

The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!
Tom Hanks

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
A Dutch friend of mine used to joke that there was a flea market somewhere in the Netherlands that was well-known to have lots of stolen stuff. The joke was that if some of your consumer electronics were stolen you could very likely buy them back there.

I'm not saying someone stole your piano legs (probably unlikely), but if the two legs turn up in some random place, and someone realizes that they have some value, you may find them listed on eBay or Craigslist.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Having recently done a couple international and transcontinental moves, I can assure you there are no particularly competent long haul piano movers. You must take nothing for granted as they are capable of every kind of disaster. Insist on being there for the loading. Have them explain how they will protect, load and transfer the piano. Document everything, particularly piano condition, with an inventory list signed by them and you at loading. Make sure they know the piano condition and value in advance. Try to get them to load it on the shipment truck, if possible, to avoid transfers and warehousing, which is where things get lost. Ask what system they will use to keep everything together during shipment and transfers. Raise heck if there are issues and do not expect they will know how to fix anything that goes wrong.

Good luck on the leg hunt!

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
I would suggest contacting an attorney and paying them to write a "friendly" letter to the moving company responsible. In doing this you are not threatening or taking legal action. You are simply putting them on notice that this is a serious issue and you are serious about it.

A "nice" letter from a reputable law firm can have a strong motivating force towards resolution.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
I would suggest contacting an attorney and paying them to write a "friendly" letter to the moving company responsible. In doing this you are not threatening or taking legal action. You are simply putting them on notice that this is a serious issue and you are serious about it.

A "nice" letter from a reputable law firm can have a strong motivating force towards resolution.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Excellent advice!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

A "nice" letter from a reputable law firm can have a Depstrong motivating force towards resolution.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Excellent advice!!

+2

Movers and shippers lose stuff all the time. Unless they’re fly by night, there is a process for finding lost goods. Perhaps the attorney letter will help them look more thoroughly. I’m still saying prayers. Depending on the contract, they should either find, replace or compensate you for the cost of two piano legs.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
B
B
Daft thought coming up smile Have you looked under the lid .... i shudder at the thought of them being there, but you never know!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Anyone else remember the saga of Schuman's lost Boesendorfer? Yeah, things could be worse!

The "friendly" lawyer's letter is great advice. The mover doesn't have much incentive to resolve this promptly and fairly absent a veiled cudgel in your hand. I doubt most firms live in fear of a nasty review since nasty reviews are quite common and often discounted as a competitor's shill posting the nastiness.

The piano is currently unusable, and the veiled threat could be a suit for full replacement value with a brand new instrument.

E
E
Just a point I learned by sad experience: tape moving blankets over the doorways the movers are going to go through. They are quite capable of letting the piano fall against the jamb.

On substituting a set of antique legs: is the fitting so standardized that they will work on a Chinese piano (which I assume the modern Weber is)? Or are they going to need a little persuasion with a mallet?

R
Rosebay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thank you all for excellent advise and suggestions. I tried to upload a picture of my piano leg but I'm not seeing the "image manager" mentioned by @Retsacnal on how to upload pictures on this forum.

I spoke with one of the local Youngchang representatives (evidently Youngchang owns Weber) who stated my leg is for an older model and he doesn't have those frown

My piano is in excellent condition and well cared for. I will try to look for the serial number.

Ditto on incompetent military movers--you get what you paid for when the government contract rules says they must hire a lowest bidders. I've had a mover huff one of my paint cans through my antique Japanese teapot from a previous move. In addition to my piano fiasco, they didn't protect my 350 y.o. antique Korean kitchen cabinet adequately (just thin saran wrap) that it arrived with chips and dings on top edges. Meanwhile they bubble wrapped and boxed some random extension cords--go figure.

I am not a piano teacher, just love music and wishes to be a better piano player. Ironically having an unusable piano makes me have the urge to practice LOL.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and will update you all on how this turns out.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Just because the Youngchang local representative doesn’t have your piano legs, does that necessarily mean that the corporate headquarters doesn’t have them somewhere in storage? I really would not take ‘no’ for an answer without more research. If you can’t get two more of your leg style, can you use three of the newer model?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
A
Rosebay, I am so sorry about your piano legs! eek You definitely have my sympathy; and I bet we all have moving horror stories. The one time I endured a corporate move was certainly a shock - they came roaring through like the Tasmanian Devils, packed wet laundry, garbage cans WITH garbage in them, and when I wasn't looking, my daily medication... I am thankful we had already taken my cat to the new place or they probably would have packed her as well.

I agree about the "polite" letter from an attorney, that might get some attention. Good luck!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." – Sir Winston Churchill
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
I’m so sorry for your trouble. If possible find pictures of your piano before the move and be sure to take plenty of pictures of your piano now. If the legs aren’t too stylized, they can be easier to find legs that will match. Keep faith and perhaps use the super strong saw horses to support the piano in the meantime.

Government/military services do go to the lowest bidder. I worked for a Prime Contractor for a National Lab. The winning low ball bidders require the customer to do extra work for the winning bid staff before the work is started and sometimes dramatic rework by the customer after the job is done. All this effort isn’t figured into the price so the low bidder is successful and the Purchase people claim success. “Look how much money we saved!” Buyer Bosses are overjoyed and have Team Celebrations!

Still saying prayers for your success!

Last edited by j&j; 08/01/21 08:56 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Is Weber still in business? Contact them about replacements,

Bösendorfer 170
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Is Weber still in business? Contact them about replacements,

I provided the Weber ‘contact us’ link on the 29th

http://weberpiano.com/support/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rosebay
I tried to upload a picture of my piano leg but I'm not seeing the "image manager" mentioned by @Retsacnal on how to upload pictures on this forum.

Do you mean the link in my signature below? If so, go to the Piano Photo Gallery and press "New Gallery." There will be an "image manager" link in the next page. It's a little clunky, but it works (or did the last time I tried it).

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by edferris
On substituting a set of antique legs: is the fitting so standardized that they will work on a Chinese piano (which I assume the modern Weber is)? Or are they going to need a little persuasion with a mallet?

When I had a piano moved recently, the mover told me that there are only a few different ways legs attach, but that they aren't all the same measures either. I was surprised to learn that my 1950s vintage Baldwin legs attached exactly the same way as my 1970s vintage Baldwin.

Anyway, you can't just buy any old leg and bolt it on. But I would wager that almost any legs made in the Young Chang factory could be persuaded to fit.

How to Upload Pictures

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I

The mover will have very specific terms and conditions covering both the mechanism for filing property loss and damage claims, the time limit for filing claims, and their limitation of liability. A reputable law firm will undoubtedly turn the contract over, read the terms and conditions, and make sure that their nice letter is a proper claim under the terms of the contract of carriage. Without a proper and timely claim, the mover's lawyers will send back their own nice response quoting the contract terms and conditions.

Larry.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
👍

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
There may be a video on YouTube demonstrating leg removal and reattachment based on the make and model.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 08/02/21 12:14 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,146
Posts3,132,884
Members102,756
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission